BajaNomad

Indian Baseballs

woody with a view - 5-29-2016 at 05:00 PM

Jerry was one of my best friends growing up. He and Marty turned me on to Baja when I was in 9th grade at Collier Jr High in SD. If I had $5 for gas I'd leave my surfboard w/ Jerry the night before. They'd pick me up in front of school and we'd haul burro down to Baja Malibu or Popotla for the day to surf. I learnt more during these ditch sessions than the school could ever teach me!

Anyway, Jerry used to walk along the point breaks of Baja looking for that perfectly round, palm-sized rock that took a thousand years to roll down a mountain, find a river and be transported all the way to the beach. I took up the search after Jerry died from diabetes almost 20 years ago. Here's my stash!

IMG_1406.JPG - 119kB

bajabuddha - 5-29-2016 at 05:10 PM

Nice balls, Woody !! :o

bkbend - 5-29-2016 at 07:46 PM

Nice display, I didn't know they were Indian baseballs. I keep mine in an Easter basket instead of eggs.

imlost - 5-30-2016 at 03:14 AM

I thought I was the only one on the planet who collected those.:?:
I do a lot of multi-day river trips in the NW US, and whenever I have a moment to myself, I look on the riverbanks for the most perfectly round rocks I can find. They are way harder to find than you would think. That's a very nice collection that has obviously taken you a while to accumulate. Even though it's basically worthless, my collection of round rocks is one of the things I cherish the most on this planet - it always takes me back to that "place". Thanks for sharing your story about Jerry, which really shows us all about you. Awesome.

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2016 at 08:05 AM

Balls: Adam hadem and so does Woody

AKgringo - 5-30-2016 at 09:35 AM

I met a guy in Grass Valley CA that had a nice snooker ball sized piece of white quartz, that was about 50% gold. I'm still looking for mine!

PaulW - 5-30-2016 at 02:28 PM

Stopped once in the middle of L Salida and laying on the ground were several rock balls. I saved the big one which is about 3" diameter. almost a perfect sphere. Composition is typical of granite.
What I find around here in Colorado are brown, but they are shaped like small oval potatoes. Ha - I save them as well.

bajabuddha - 5-30-2016 at 02:31 PM

Somebody made a REALLY BIG STASH of 'em at El Pedregoso!

woody with a view - 5-30-2016 at 02:46 PM

Buddha, the first time I drove my son past Pedregoso I asked him "how in the hell did those rocks get there"? Being 17 he said "they stacked them there when they built the road".

I can't wait to dive past on Saturday and ask him again. This time with an elbow in the ribs and a big laugh!

bajabuddha - 5-30-2016 at 03:14 PM

INDIAN BASEBALLS: Is it the Cleveland Indians, or Washington... or Atlanta... nevermind.

They're also known as Indan Love Stones too..... as in, just another f***in' rock. :biggrin:

(not to be confused with either Leaverite or Leavitrite) :smug: