BajaNomad

K&N Filters

chuckie - 5-30-2016 at 07:44 AM

I have been running K&N filters on all my rigs, 2&4 wheel since rocks...I have wondered about their efficiency but persevered with them...Couple weeks ago I took a meander of 800 miles or so, down through New Mexico and Texas and felt as if Ol Smokey was down on power. (Towing a HEAVY trailer). When I got home I replaced the K&N with a Napa Gold paper filter and left on another cruise up into the Nebraska sand hills, 430 miles. On the Texas/NM trip I got 12-14 MPG and on the Sandhills trip 14-19 MPG, and no question, had more power...I draw no conclusion from this , yet, but wonder what other peoples feelings are?

[Edited on 5-30-2016 by BajaNomad]

ehall - 5-30-2016 at 07:50 AM

Not sure about their efficiency but since they are a pain to clean and oil they probably don't get serviced ad often as a throw away paper filter.

chuckie - 5-30-2016 at 07:52 AM

Since I am indigent, I clean mine before every trip, using K&N products...

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2016 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I have been running K&N filters on all my rigs, 2&4 wheel since rocks...I have wondered about their efficiency but persevered with them...Couple weeks ago I took a meander of 800 miles or so, down through New Mexico and Texas and felt as if Ol Smokey was down on power. (Towing a HEAVY trailer). When I got home I replaced the K&N with a Napa Gold paper filter and left on another cruise up into the Nebraska sand hills, 430 miles. On the Texas/NM trip I got 12-14 MPG and on the Sandhills trip 14-19 MPG, and no question, had more power...I draw no conclusion from this , yet, but wonder what other peoples feelings are?

What is that rig? Looks like a cab over camper mounted on a horse traler.

[Edited on 5-30-2016 by BajaNomad]

woody with a view - 5-30-2016 at 08:11 AM

K&N are famous for fouling the Mass Airflow Sensor with that oil. You might want to look up how to clean your MAF sensor once in awhile. You could do yourself a favor and get a dry lifetime filter like this and never look back: http://www.amazon.com/aFe-Power-31-10004-Air-Filter/dp/B001A...

Hook - 5-30-2016 at 08:21 AM

Uh, the COG looks a little far back on your "Conestoga Prairie Wagon", Chuckie.

bajatrailrider - 5-30-2016 at 08:31 AM

Never ever use K&N air filter in the dirt. They pass fine dirt,never you will see one on race truck,or dirt bike. On my Dodge Diesel,K&N only goes on for street trip. Stock paper filter for off road.

4x4abc - 5-30-2016 at 08:52 AM

feel free to buy any snake oil you prefer

http://rubicon-trail.com/public/K&N%20filter%20test.html

chuckie - 5-30-2016 at 09:02 AM

It is a 9.6 camper mounted on a modified horse trailer. It has an expanded metal lockable storage cage built into the space under the cabover, There is a 110V outlet, driven by an inverter in there which powers a standard size freezer. COG is OK, my son "Borrowed" the correct stinger, so when I got to Texas I replaced it with one with about 5 inches more drop...That rig has been back and forth to Baja several times as well as to Canada .....AS to K&N's in the dirt, we ran them on Class 5/16, Class 1, Class 10 and class 8 units for years...True, most of those engines were rebuilt after every season, but not IMO because of dirt being passed..Tally HO!

mtnpop - 5-30-2016 at 10:31 AM

Chuckie,
Listen to Sams' garage on talk radio quite often... As I remember he uses Wix filters mostly... We have used Wix as much as possible on the Duramax and they seem to do a good job.. Oil and Air......
Everyone has their own poison....
We are on quite a bit of dirt road in the mtns....

have a great summer

chuckie - 5-30-2016 at 10:51 AM

Good stuff Harald....took sometime to wade through but was worth it...Thank you...Ross, I like Wix filters as well...Used them on a couple of Diesel tractors...Hope you all are doing well...

4x4abc - 5-30-2016 at 12:05 PM

lies fit in one sentence - the truth is much more complicated

willardguy - 5-30-2016 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
lies fit in one sentence - the truth is much more complicated

well let me ask you this, do you believe snorkel's keep dust out?

BooJumMan - 5-30-2016 at 12:26 PM

I've read quite a bit that paper filters are actually much more efficient and flow better than the K&N....as long as they are replaced at the proper intervals.

AKgringo - 5-30-2016 at 12:33 PM

I don't understand why more vehicles don't offer a pre-cleaner device for dirt road use. By use of a vortex, or 180 bends, much of the dirt can be removed from the air flow before it ever gets to the filter!

That is 1950's technology, or maybe older than that, but it worked in the tanks we serviced at Fort Knox, and I have one on my 1969 Caterpillar D-6.

ehall - 5-30-2016 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
feel free to buy any snake oil you prefer

http://rubicon-trail.com/public/K&N%20filter%20test.html

Thanks, good read.

chuckie - 5-30-2016 at 01:43 PM

Based on the stuff Harald posted, and my seat of the pants testing, I threw my K&N in the trash and ordered 4 paper filters off EBAY...

PaulW - 5-30-2016 at 02:31 PM

Based on the stuff Harald posted, and my seat of the pants testing, I threw my K&N in the trash and ordered 4 paper filters off EBAY...

= = =
Smart move

PaulW - 5-30-2016 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I don't understand why more vehicles don't offer a pre-cleaner device for dirt road use. By use of a vortex, or 180 bends, much of the dirt can be removed from the air flow before it ever gets to the filter!

That is 1950's technology, or maybe older than that, but it worked in the tanks we serviced at Fort Knox, and I have one on my 1969 Caterpillar D-6.

= = =
The cans you describe are available for custom installation. Not for a typical SUV or car because they are big. Mostly used for off road one off rigs. I see them all the time. Depending on the filter element most are happy with them.

woody with a view - 5-30-2016 at 02:41 PM

If your rig has a MAF you should figger out how to clean it!

4x4abc - 5-30-2016 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

well let me ask you this, do you believe snorkel's keep dust out?

believe? is there religion involved?

I simply don't know

Barry A. - 5-30-2016 at 04:45 PM

If you REALLY want to be confused, put "compare truck air filters" into your search engine and count on spending unlimited time getting conflicting info & hype (but Harald's test was there, too)! Then I went to several Auto Parts stores and nobody has the AC Delco air-filter I need, and it will take a week, or more, to order it in.

I finally went outside, and just hand-cleaned and re-oiled my K&N filter with their "cleaning kit", and hope for the best. (It was really dirty----very embarrassing).

Hook - 5-30-2016 at 04:59 PM

MANY of the filters that Napa sells in their Gold line............are Wix filters.

Good paper filters.

Filters

captkw - 5-30-2016 at 05:14 PM

My self have never been a big fan of K&N filters.. Seen Many,Many dirty ones,,, Too much work... fresh paper is the way to go for most apps and formy Volvo I use a MANN brand that has the check valve and you can level a RV with one.. WIX are fine...The ONLY way to clean a MAS/MAF is with CRC MAS/MAF Cleaner.. do NOT use carb cleaner,break Kleen or anything but the correct stuff or U will be replacing the sensor soon and they are not cheap..

AKgringo - 5-30-2016 at 05:26 PM

The Captain is right on this one. I performed the experiment he is warning against on one of my Kia's, resulting in a ruined mass air flow sensor.

The symptoms were; Easy starting when cold, but slightly rough, progressing to misfiring badly after I got a few miles from home, mostly in the mid range rpm.

They are expensive, but the one on my parts car swapped out just fine, and is running to this day.

bajatrailrider - 5-31-2016 at 07:13 AM

We have not had the problem with ruined air mass sensor. From K&N filters,but every truck we serviced. With K&N air cleaner carb,or intake runner full of dirt. On dirt bikes,carb slide sticks wide open from dirt. Only with K&N air cleaners,We wont even buy a used truck. If it has a K&N air cleaner.

4x4abc - 5-31-2016 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
We have not had the problem with ruined air mass sensor. From K&N filters,but every truck we serviced. With K&N air cleaner carb,or intake runner full of dirt. On dirt bikes,carb slide sticks wide open from dirt. Only with K&N air cleaners,We wont even buy a used truck. If it has a K&N air cleaner.

now that's a powerful first hand account

woody with a view - 5-31-2016 at 07:40 AM

The MAF just need to be cleaned, they
Y aren't ruined. Buy some of the cleaner mentioned above and it only takes 5 minutes for it to be like new.

Barry A. - 5-31-2016 at 08:42 AM

Just my personal experience:

My 22 year old 1994 Ford F-250 4x4 with the 460cc engine has had a K&N air filter on it that entire time with no problems with dirt getting past the filter as near as I can tell. The truck is ONLY used for trips into the boonies, mostly on dirt roads in Baja, and has 85K miles on it. Nothing has ever gone wrong with this truck other than having the AC unit recharged about 10 years ago--------it's been a dream truck. (horrible gas mileage, however----10 mpg no matter what)

landyacht318 - 5-31-2016 at 08:45 AM

Last time I went to service my K&N filter, I noticed dust coating the throat of the throttle body.

I held the filter upto sunlight and there were pinholes everywhere.

The K&N lovers came out of the woodwork and accused me of cleaning it with a wire brush, or cleaning it with acetone, or a sandblaster, or other similar ridiculousness in their refusal to believe that their upgraded well marketed 'filter' was not effective, as a filter. perhaps a rock and pebble catcher.

I threw it in the trash and went back to paper, disgusted that I had fallen for the marketing 10 years earlier.

Barry A

captkw - 5-31-2016 at 09:01 AM

LOL The FOMOCO 460 is a Great engine !! its just has a drinkin problem !! turn the truck off in the parking spot, get out and start walking away and you hear a loud Burb !!....

[Edited on 5-31-2016 by captkw]

willardguy - 5-31-2016 at 09:28 AM

sounds like a quality paper filter is the hot set up.....:D

Barry A. - 5-31-2016 at 09:53 AM

I just went out and held my K&N filter up to the sun--------no pin holes, and it was uniformly clean (now), but yes, the sunlight does stream thru it opaquely (sp?).

Perhaps it's all those micro "pin-holes" that allow the air to pass through it so easily, but like the Captain says, it does not help the 460cc get better gas mileage--------I think that is a hopeless cause expecting better gas mileage from THAT dream-engine-----there are always a few down-sides to everything. LOL

Having said all that, I have (or will have) AC Delco paper-filters on all my other rigs and cars, so you see I am not completely hopeless. (just too cheap to throw away an expensive K&N filter).

woody with a view - 5-31-2016 at 10:06 AM

My AFE filter cost about $60 5 years ago. I tap it clean every oil change (10k miles) and it is warrantied for life. It has never been black like in the foto above. Just a little dust. How many paper filters will you change out over the rest of your vehicles life and at what cost?

David K - 5-31-2016 at 10:09 AM

My dad's last car, a 1973 Ford LTD Country Squire station wagon had the 460 engine, and he loved it! He had a second gas tank installed as well as air adjustable rear shocks specifically for our July 1973 trip to Loreto, before Highway One was completed. I remember we ran out of gas by Rancho San Martin, south of Santa Ynez and he switched the lever for the other tank fuel line. It took a while to get the fuel flowing again. From north of Santa Ynez to Laguna Chapala we were on the old road as that gap had not yet seen the bulldozers and graders for the new highway roadbed.

Here's a photo from that day, in the Laguna Chapala valley on the new roadbed and one I took from the road bed of the detour next to it... That was Chapala Dust... famous in the pre-highway days.

The mighty 460 cid engine pulled us through!

At the top of the pass, south of Chapala, congratulations to my dad were in order.

My mom and the new highway construction behind her heading south to El Crucero and Punta Prieta:

DK

captkw - 5-31-2016 at 10:26 AM

Great pics !! That's a Land Yacht by any driver !! My first drive to AK, towing a airstream was with a 460 drinking pig.. tough motor.. A mechanic s saying: pay at the pump or pay at the part house

David K - 5-31-2016 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
Great pics !! That's a Land Yacht by any driver !! My first drive to AK, towing a airstream was with a 460 drinking pig.. tough motor.. A mechanic s saying: pay at the pump or pay at the part house

Thank you. It was that summer 1973 trip that inspired me to write my first guidebook, I was 15. I loved taking notes on the mileages along the way. We drove the road to Cabo in 1966 in a Jeep, and I remembered it well. So comparing the new highway route with the old road down Baja was very interesting to me.

Barry A. - 5-31-2016 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
My AFE filter cost about $60 5 years ago. I tap it clean every oil change (10k miles) and it is warrantied for life. It has never been black like in the foto above. Just a little dust. How many paper filters will you change out over the rest of your vehicles life and at what cost?

Oh oh, Woody------now you are going to start another disagreement, I suspect. You say you oil-change "every 10K miles"? I change oil (it's cheap) every 3 to 5K miles, just to be safe. My son is still driving my old stick-shift '69 Ford F-100 and it's going strong (240ci 6 cyl. engine) that we both have religiously changed oil in every 3K miles. That engine burns 1 qt. every 3K miles, roughly, and is in great shape. (frequent oil changes equals cheap insurance, I believe)

woody with a view - 5-31-2016 at 11:06 AM

Well, I spring for the synthetic oil. Blackstone labs tested a sample years ago and said to go 10k. Other Tundra owners I know go 20k between changes and their tests come back good. 10k for me is about 20 months. Oh, with zero burnt oil. Drain 7 qts and add 7 qts.

Edit to say modern engines have much tighter tolerances so the need to drain "dirty" oil doesn't happen until much later, especially with synthetic oils.

[Edited on 5-31-2016 by woody with a view]

pacificobob - 5-31-2016 at 11:15 AM

K&N filters let a lot of air into the engine. this is accomplished by large openings in the filter medium. this also allows lots of dust and crap to enter also. this is great for a race engine at WOT that will be rebuild at frequent intervals. i don't use them.

Barry A. - 5-31-2016 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Well, I spring for the synthetic oil. Blackstone labs tested a sample years ago and said to go 10k. Other Tundra owners I know go 20k between changes and their tests come back good. 10k for me is about 20 months. Oh, with zero burnt oil. Drain 7 qts and add 7 qts.

Edit to say modern engines have much tighter tolerances so the need to drain "dirty" oil doesn't happen until much later, especially with synthetic oils.

[Edited on 5-31-2016 by woody with a view]

Totally different story, Woody-----------I forgot about "synthetics", and you are right, from what I understand. I HAVE converted over to "blends" so I am making progress, I guess.

All 4 of my vehicles are not really "modern", the newest being a 2007 Nissan X-Terra "OFF-Road" model. (plus '89 Isuzu Trooper, '97 Toy Camry, '94 Ford 4x4 F-250)

[Edited on 5-31-2016 by Barry A.]

David K - 5-31-2016 at 11:46 AM

I am still using dino engine oil, changing before 5,000 miles (close to 4,000 usually). I have been using the dealer service dept. and the truck is now at 85,000 miles (6 1/2 years old). Never needs oil added, never drips oil either.. was the same on my previous two Tacomas.

I changed the transfer case and both differentials' oil with Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil at 39,000 miles when the truck was 2 1/2 years old.

TMW - 5-31-2016 at 12:00 PM

Before I retired one of the guys that worked for me had two Mustangs. One about 6 years old I think and the other was a year old. He told me that he runs synthetic oil in both and on a couple of occasions the place where he has his oil changed put regular oil in. He said he can tell right away as the engine runs hotter. He would go back and make them change it.

chuckie - 5-31-2016 at 02:28 PM

WOW! 85,000 miles!

chuckie - 5-31-2016 at 04:18 PM

They don't seem to be very durable, if you are having to get a replacement at an average 115,000 miles+-...I guess were I you, I would look elsewhere for the next one... I dont understand your Bad Economy comment? Fuel prices are down considerably from a year or so ago...

Barry A. - 5-31-2016 at 05:55 PM

They don't seem to be very durable, if you are having to get a replacement at an average 115,000 miles+-...I guess were I you, I would look elsewhere for the next one... I dont understand your Bad Economy comment? Fuel prices are down considerably from a year or so ago...

Chuckie--------On your "economy" comment---------you have GOT to be kidding!!!!! Worst recovery over-all I personally have ever seen, and small business is hurting badly due to mostly (I believe) very bad policy coming out of Washington DC over-all.

chuckie - 6-1-2016 at 05:24 AM

This forum is NOT the place for political discussions...The economy apparently has been good enough for DK to buy a new vehicle very 4 years, if he had bought something that would last, he would still be driving the first one and saved a bunch of money....His choice...

woody with a view - 6-1-2016 at 05:28 AM

You both are correct. I'm betting he's a fan of leasing? Otherwise, why be --->.<---
that close to paying it off just to take on another payment for ANOTHER 5 years.

Sisyphus on steriods right there!

[Edited on 6-1-2016 by woody with a view]

chuckie - 6-1-2016 at 05:32 AM

Could be....

mtgoat666 - 6-1-2016 at 06:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

Chuckie--------On your "economy" comment---------you have GOT to be kidding!!!!! Worst recovery over-all I personally have ever seen, and small business is hurting badly due to mostly (I believe) very bad policy coming out of Washington DC over-all.

The economy is doing fine, and doing exactly as intended. USA mega corporations Rewrote regulations to favor themselves, at the expense of all others, and mega corporations are doing great! Doing exactly as intended. Seriously, you should vote for bernie, or vote for status quo,... You deserve what you vote for.

chuckie - 6-1-2016 at 06:28 AM

Thank you for your input, Goatley.

chuckie - 6-1-2016 at 08:08 AM

The answer to your question is all Yes's. Several business's in point of fact, all successful. What do I do for income? None of your business. I no longer work. Your last statement is one of your normally ill thought out rants. WE elected republicans, I am a Republican, never voted anything else, and gave them control of the house and the Senate. They did nothing, nothing. They, in their election campaigns, said they would get rid of Obamacare, secure our borders, fix veterans health care...Did none of that..NOT ONE piece of meaningful legislation has been passed...SO? What difference will it make who we elect in this next election? When the day comes, I shall vote for the candidate whom I think will do the least harm to our country, or stay home..
It sounds as if you were using leased company vehicles for personal purposes? You pro rated that on your tax returns, I am sure...

rts551 - 6-1-2016 at 08:13 AM

K&N filters to 460 gas guzzlers to look at me in my pictures to the economy to the government put me out of work...all baja related of course.

What a site! more popcorn please.

chuckie - 6-1-2016 at 08:54 AM

I apologize...I violated my own rule about getting into politics ..I shall try harder....FYI: I bought and compared a WIX filter to the Napa Gold paper for the Dodge, they appeared to be identical, except the WIX was 1/2 the cost....

David K - 6-1-2016 at 09:46 AM

I have only one vehicle so it must serve for work and play. I used a K&N filter on my first Tacoma, so that was it. I use Wix or other air filters from the auto parts store... as long as it is clean, it shouldn't matter a lot what brand.

K&N

J.P. - 6-1-2016 at 10:16 AM

I had a K&N Filter on my Suburban my only complaint it was too noisy when I had the engine rebuilt last year I tossed it and went back the stock setup.

chuckie - 6-2-2016 at 06:24 AM

And then there is the problem of scraping the decals off....

J.P. - 6-2-2016 at 08:45 AM

I walked a thin line most of my life and the lesson learned from that NO DECALS

Barry A. - 6-2-2016 at 09:32 AM

Isn't that what "duct tape" is for? (out of sight, out of mind)

msteve1014 - 6-2-2016 at 11:31 AM

It seems like the decals may have been the best part about running a K&N filter.

chuckie - 6-2-2016 at 11:41 AM

Nah! It was the Machismo....Kinda like snorkels and loud exhaust sytems .....

Ken Cooke - 8-28-2016 at 10:03 AM

My Jeep has a K&N FIPK kit running an AEM conical filter for a Dodge 1500 truck. The intake stays much cleaner than with the K&N.

chuckie - 8-28-2016 at 10:37 AM

I threw out 3 K&N's and replaced them with Napa Gold filters...One of the vehicles...Pontiac Vibe, showed an amazing increase of 6-8 MPG...My Diesels also showed a significant increase, and it can really be noticed when pulling a heavy trailer...K&N's? NO MAS

bajatrailrider - 8-28-2016 at 10:57 AM

Any Like K&N filter a proven NO NO off road. We have 3 off road race truck shop builders in town. If newbie pulls in there shop,They say. Who ever sold you that K&N is not your friend.

Lee - 8-28-2016 at 11:17 AM

There's research out there with enough digging showing K&N not measuring up -- at best, it was a wash. Swapped back to a stock Ford air assembly -- maintenance wasn't worth the outcome with the K&N.

chuckie - 8-28-2016 at 11:40 AM

It was published here by that guy that smokes the cigars and drinks beer...

rts551 - 8-28-2016 at 11:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
My Jeep has a K&N FIPK kit running an AEM conical filter for a Dodge 1500 truck. The intake stays much cleaner than with the K&N.

Ken, why would a filter that is doing its job stay cleaner? A filters job is to get dirty.

I see now you mean the intake. I was thrown by the nice clean AEM and the dirty K&N.

[Edited on 8-28-2016 by rts551]

ehall - 8-28-2016 at 11:49 AM

He's talking about the inside.

chippy - 8-28-2016 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

I think that filter would do alot better in a sealed airbox drawing fresh cool air from the grill. Drawing pre heated engine bay air can`t be the best setup.

chuckie - 8-28-2016 at 12:11 PM

We need another picture...

willardguy - 8-28-2016 at 12:12 PM

you see alot of race cars with K&N decals......bet there's alot of Donaldson air filters on those cars ;)

ehall - 8-28-2016 at 02:10 PM

Hey ken do you have the part number for that aem filter? I have the same intake setup.

Ken Cooke - 8-28-2016 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Hey ken do you have the part number for that aem filter? I have the same intake setup.

chuckie - 8-28-2016 at 02:46 PM

Harald..It was Harald did it...Yup..

ehall - 8-28-2016 at 04:18 PM

Thanks buddy.

Ken Cooke - 8-28-2016 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Thanks buddy.

You're welcome!

basautter - 8-28-2016 at 05:31 PM

I prefer paper filters. If K&N was that much better, they would be OEM. :light:

bajatrailrider - 8-28-2016 at 06:09 PM

Another thing very bad Idea on off road truck.To leave air cleaner open. Should have air box.

mcnut - 8-28-2016 at 07:16 PM

Yup.

Bruce

basautter - 8-29-2016 at 05:00 AM

Thanks 4x4abc for the great article! From my experience, paper is better but that article takes opinion and emotion out of the equation. I had a K&N on a dirt bike for about a week. It caused so much restriction, I had to re-jet. It also loaded up quicker than I have ever seen. :mad:

bajatrailrider - 8-29-2016 at 06:17 PM

You are very lucky thats all your K&N only loaded up. Riding in dust bed Baja,my throttle stuck wide open.Because of the K&N passing dust,Xr650 wide open Hold on.

chuckie - 8-30-2016 at 10:27 AM

Remember the "Green Wienies"?

ncampion - 8-30-2016 at 01:52 PM

I liked that filter comparison also, as a retired scientist, I like factual test results. I have never used K&N filters on my off road bikes or cars, just don't get a good feel about them. I use oiled foam filters on my bikes but hate cleaning them.
Just as a aside, Malcolm Smith, one of the greatest off roader ever was actually instrumental in the beginning of K&N. Two guys named Kenny and Norm had an off road bike shop in Riverside a long time ago and Malcolm bought it from them and they spun off the filter business as a separate operation. Don't know if Malcolm uses them or not. Hear's a link to some excerpts from his recent autobiography.

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=4725

salttram - 12-4-2016 at 05:00 PM

I used K&N filters for years until I saw the super fine dust downstream of the filter. Those notorious silt beds in Baja (and Nevada) show the K&N's weakness.

Back then, my '89 4Runner seemed to have a little more pep and made a cool sucking sound when I got on the gas with it. I'm sure they're great for racing purposes, but I like my engines to last a long time!