BajaNomad

The Devil's Road - A feature documentary we're making about Baja and some of the first scientists to explore it.

Subjectruin - 7-26-2016 at 12:22 AM

Hi, I've been following these forums for a while and thought I'd point you towards a new documentary film we're in the process of making.

I'm related to a man named E.A. Goldman who, along with his partner E.W. Nelson, were two of the first naturalists to do a comprehensive biological survey of the peninsula in 1905 and 1906. They traveled over 2,000 miles on horseback down the entire length of Baja. Now, 110 years later, our crew is going to retrace the steps of this original expedition on motorcycles and film a documentary about it.

You can see the teaser trailer here.

And here is Episode 1of a series we're doing about several significant islands in Baja.

For more info on the project, you can check out www.brokenwagonfilms.com

Would love any feedback you guys have - thanks for taking a look!

[Edited on 7-26-2016 by BajaNomad]

woody with a view - 7-26-2016 at 04:55 AM

Cool project!

mtgoat666 - 7-26-2016 at 06:12 AM

I think the opening music in your trailer sounds like Peruvian flute music, is it Mexican?

You say your doing homage trip via motorcycles? I don't see how naturalists on horse back and motorcycles mix. Just my world view. But some of the motorcyclists probably think they are congruent. Would be more interesting if you redid the trip via horse. It's still an adventure to go on foot, not much of an adventure to do it by motorcycle.

DENNIS - 7-26-2016 at 07:01 AM

Very encouraging and supportive, Mr. Goat. :light:

Ateo - 7-26-2016 at 07:03 AM

Looks fun. Thanks for alerting us to it.

bajatrailrider - 7-26-2016 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I think the opening music in your trailer sounds like Peruvian flute music, is it Mexican?

You say your doing homage trip via motorcycles? I don't see how naturalists on horse back and motorcycles mix. Just my world view. But some of the motorcyclists probably think they are congruent. Would be more interesting if you redid the trip via horse. It's still an adventure to go on foot, not much of an adventure to do it by motorcycle.
How about you Mt66 doing it in your Yugo.This is a great project to do on motos keep up good work. Dont listen to Mt66 he is village idiot of Baja nomad.

David K - 7-26-2016 at 07:46 AM

Thank you Subjectruinand welcome to Nomad!

Published in 1922, this book is one of those that belongs in every serious Baja book library!

Here is the map from the 1905-06 expedition and shows their route (red line)...

mtgoat666 - 7-26-2016 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

He asked for "feedback." He didnt ask for a pat on the back.

David K - 7-26-2016 at 08:01 AM

Nice blog, lots of photos... even one of Coco of Coco's Corner! http://brokenwagonfilms.com/blog/

TMW - 7-26-2016 at 08:18 AM

Cool project, best of luck.

MMc - 7-26-2016 at 08:19 AM

Very cool project! i bet your grandfather had some stories.
Are you funding the project and post yourself ? I didn't see any sponsors, or distribution?

MMc - 7-26-2016 at 09:05 AM

That was not my question, DK. This project is not inexpensive, and crowd funding most likely not cover the cost. I was wondering how it was being funded and if there was a possible distribution deal in place or they planned to distribute themselves?
I have a little knowledge in those areas.

Subjectruin - 7-26-2016 at 09:52 AM

Thanks everyone for the response!

MMc, we're still in the process of securing funding. We plan to do a crowd funding campaign probably in late fall, but we're also looking into grants and other possibilities. We hope to find distribution after taking the film to festivals.

David K, very cool that you know who these guys are!

[Edited on 7-26-2016 by Subjectruin]

del mar - 7-26-2016 at 09:58 AM

I dig the logo :yes:...make up some T-shirts!

David K - 7-26-2016 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Subjectruin  
Thanks everyone for the response!

MMc, we're still in the process of securing funding. We plan to do a crowd funding campaign probably in late fall, but we're also looking into grants and other possibilities. We hope to find distribution after taking the film to festivals.

David K, very cool that you know who these guys are!

[Edited on 7-26-2016 by Subjectruin]

Thank you, as a Baja history writer, knowing explorers like them is critical for my work! Plus, I love reading about all Baja expeditions, anyway!

MMc - 7-26-2016 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

Subjectruin, I am sorry for the way this post is about to go. Some of us have special causes that set us off. The world getting warmer or colder is one of DK's. He denies it and about 10 folks buying it. Welcome to the board/ sandbox, there will sand flying soon, Sorry!

mtgoat666 - 7-26-2016 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Okay, so my feedback after watching the Isla Raza video is: Why say the terns moved their nesting site off of the island (the past two years) because of "man-made" global warming? How do you know it wasn't for another reason?

The world hasn't warmed in 18 years (why the name of this hoax is now "Climate Change" instead of "Global Warming"), and even if it did warm, why is not feasible that Nature warmed it, as it has over and over for millions of years using volcanoes, sun spots, etc.?

The Sea of Cortez is cooler than before on my recent trips, not scientific, but are there (un-doctored) water temperatures we have a graph of to see?

Okay, so from me he got both a pat on the back and feedback! :light:

I am looking forward to seeing more, but I hope that algore's nutty theories are not in any more episodes. We Nomads already know the sea level hasn't risen for over 60 years, (as proven in photos).

What photos "prove" this? Do you mean your silly snapshots of palm trees?

Another thread down the drain?

AKgringo - 7-26-2016 at 06:22 PM

This gets old guys, how about letting this one go and see where it winds up with fresh input?

bajatrailrider - 7-26-2016 at 06:32 PM

Okay, so my feedback after watching the Isla Raza video is: Why say the terns moved their nesting site off of the island (the past two years) because of "man-made" global warming? How do you know it wasn't for another reason?

The world hasn't warmed in 18 years (why the name of this hoax is now "Climate Change" instead of "Global Warming"), and even if it did warm, why is not feasible that Nature warmed it, as it has over and over for millions of years using volcanoes, sun spots, etc.?

The Sea of Cortez is cooler than before on my recent trips, not scientific, but are there (un-doctored) water temperatures we have a graph of to see?

Okay, so from me he got both a pat on the back and feedback! :light:

I am looking forward to seeing more, but I hope that algore's nutty theories are not in any more episodes. We Nomads already know the sea level hasn't risen for over 60 years, (as proven in photos).

What photos "prove" this? Do you mean your silly snapshots of palm trees? Mt66 the village idiot at his finest.:?:

del mar - 7-26-2016 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

Subjectruin, I am sorry for the way this post is about to go. Some of us have special causes that set us off. The world getting warmer or colder is one of DK's. He denies it and about 10 folks buying it. Welcome to the board/ sandbox, there will sand flying soon, Sorry!

lol..whats that got to do with making T-shirts! you know they ARE requesting contributions, starting at 10 bucks.
I think I made a mistake here:(

Subjectruin - 7-26-2016 at 06:44 PM

Apologies if this ignited an argument, that wasn't the intention at all. The claims we make toward the end of our Isla Raza episode aren't meant to be divisive or controversial, they represent the general scientific consensus surrounding the issue.

Observations in the Gulf suggest that anthropogenic climate change is at least partially responsible for the disruption of the sensitive ecosystem found on Isla Raza. We're doing our best to approach the situation scientifically, just like Nelson and Goldman did over 100 years ago. No conscious political motives on our part.

Sorry to open any old wounds!

MMc - 7-26-2016 at 06:52 PM

I was seconding the the Tee shirt idea. I already put my money up.

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

lol..whats that got to do with making T-shirts! you know they ARE requesting contributions, starting at 10 bucks.
I think I made a mistake here:(

woody with a view - 7-26-2016 at 07:33 PM

I can make you some shirts. if you're interested click the U2U button on the top right.

bajatrailrider - 7-27-2016 at 08:52 AM

What kind of motos will you use to make this.

bajaguy - 7-27-2016 at 09:04 AM

I'm in for a couple. Navy blue, small logo left front, large logo on the back

StuckSucks - 7-27-2016 at 11:47 AM

A T-shirt with color logo would be super cool, although I understand many colors = many dollars. What bajaguy said - small on front, large on back.

mtgoat666 - 7-27-2016 at 06:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
A T-shirt with color logo would be super cool, although I understand many colors = many dollars. What bajaguy said - small on front, large on back.

It makes little sense to me. Why is hwy 1 the "devil's road?" It seems like a pretty pleasant hwy to me: Great country, beautiful scenery, great places to visit.

AKgringo - 7-27-2016 at 06:16 PM

A summer trip on the highway 110 years ago was probably a bit 'Hellish'!

That is what this thread is about, retracing some of that route.

BajaBlanca - 7-27-2016 at 08:01 PM

La Bocana, BCS did not even exist! Abreojos did, probably due to ships and danger of getting grounded???

What a wonderful project. On your way down, stop by and I will make you lunch. We are 1.5 hours south of Asuncion and 30 min. north of Abreojos.

I am going to forward the link to friends to see if I can drum up some financial support.

Subjectruin - 7-27-2016 at 08:34 PM

Awesome, I'll definitely make another post once we get some T-shirts made up, glad you guys are into them.

BajaBlanca - Thanks so much for the offer! I believe our route takes us right through Abreojos, so maybe we'll see you during our March-April 2017 main expedition.

mtgoat666 - Here is our blog post about why the film is called The Devil's Road: http://brokenwagonfilms.com/blog/2016/5/25/why-the-name-the-...

bajatrailrider - The current plan is to use Kawasaki KLR650's

bajatrailrider - 7-27-2016 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Subjectruin  
Awesome, I'll definitely make another post once we get some T-shirts made up, glad you guys are into them.

BajaBlanca - Thanks so much for the offer! I believe our route takes us right through Abreojos, so maybe we'll see you during our March-April 2017 main expedition.

mtgoat666 - Here is our blog post about why the film is called The Devil's Road: http://brokenwagonfilms.com/blog/2016/5/25/why-the-name-the-...

bajatrailrider - The current plan is to use Kawasaki KLR650's
How neat what a great project,Im interested.:)

ehall - 7-28-2016 at 04:57 AM

Cool project. Sounds like alot of fun.

The Devil'sRoad Episode 2: Isla San Martin

Subjectruin - 11-3-2016 at 07:31 PM

We just released Episode 2 of this project, this time focusing on Isla San Martin. You can watch it here.

Also, last time I posted there was some interest in T-shirts. We now have a store set up on our website with some cool designs, check it out!

[Edited on 11-4-2016 by Subjectruin]

BigBearRider - 11-3-2016 at 08:39 PM

More?!?

mtgoat666 - 11-3-2016 at 09:05 PM

Your 2nd episode very briefly mentioned the changes since 1905. I think you are missing the boat with isla San Martin. The changes in sea life since 1905 are extreme. Bivalves in the area were severely overfished for decades, until they original stock are all but gone. The relentless commercial fishing has totally changed the fish stock. There is extensive literature on this. The story of the shore is the story underwater. The barren area above water has not changed much since 1905. Perhaps the bird life has been effected,... but the story of change lies below the sea, where the majority of biomass resides in Baja.

Subjectruin - 11-3-2016 at 09:27 PM

Your 2nd episode very briefly mentioned the changes since 1905. I think you are missing the boat with isla San Martin. The changes in sea life since 1905 are extreme. Bivalves in the area were severely overfished for decades, until they original stock are all but gone. The relentless commercial fishing has totally changed the fish stock. There is extensive literature on this. The story of the shore is the story underwater. The barren area above water has not changed much since 1905. Perhaps the bird life has been effected,... but the story of change lies below the sea, where the majority of biomass resides in Baja.

You're certainly right about the underwater world, but the focus of our documentary is on retracing the steps of two scientists who traveled there in 1905. Their work was primarily about the plants and land animals of the mainland peninsula, and only traveled to a handful of islands. They specifically called out a few species on San Martin, so our film focuses on those.

That said, depletion of fish stock and other issues relating to marine life in Baja are extremely important, and we will definitely touch on those at other points in our documentary. For example, in our upcoming episode about Isla Magdalena, we touch on the history of sea turtle and shark fishing in Bahia Magdalena.

[Edited on 11-4-2016 by Subjectruin]

David K - 11-3-2016 at 11:44 PM

Thank you for your work and remain focused on the purpose of it!

bajatrailrider - 11-4-2016 at 07:41 AM

Thank you guys for your hard work pictures great job.

TMW - 11-4-2016 at 09:41 AM

Very interesting, thanks.

bacquito - 11-5-2016 at 07:21 AM

Or by foot like Graham Macintosh!

David K - 11-5-2016 at 07:54 AM

At this moment, Graham is kayaking south from L.A. Bay... now past Las Animas camp.

Subjectruin - 11-15-2016 at 01:28 PM

Our crowdfunding campaign is live! Thanks for all your support so far - please consider helping out by sharing or contributing to our campaign.

Here's our Indiegogo Page.

And here's our video explaining the project in detail.

Episode 3

Subjectruin - 11-23-2016 at 03:45 PM

In the third episode from the Broken Wagon Films island expedition, we visit the shores of Isla Cerralvo, whose sandy washes are inhabited by iguanas and giant barrel cacti.

Check out the video here!

Help support our Indiegogo campaign!

bajatrailrider - 11-24-2016 at 08:52 AM

Love the story,pictures thanks so much.

Episode 4 - Espiritu Santo

Subjectruin - 12-6-2016 at 08:15 PM

Episode 4 of the Devil's Road island expedition brings us to Isla Espiritu Santo where we find it's trademark turquoise water, the ruins of a pearl oyster farm, a frigate bird breeding colony, dolphins, fiddler crabs, and more.

Watch the video here!

Support our crowdfunding campaign here!

TMW - 12-6-2016 at 08:26 PM

That was really cool. A bird that can't walk, who would have thought.

Thanks

Episode 5 - Isla Magdalena

Subjectruin - 12-21-2016 at 03:02 PM

The final episode from the island expedition brings us to Isla Magdalena, where we talk to Julio Solis about important conservation issues that face Magdalena Bay and Baja at large.

Our crowdfunding campaign is ending soon, and while we're still way short of our goal, I'd like to thank everyone here who has followed our progress so far. We are going forward with the film regardless of how much funding we can raise, it will just be significantly more difficult.

Watch Episode 5 here!

It's not to late to help us our by sharing or contributing to the campaign!

David K - 11-22-2017 at 05:28 PM

Just a bump of this thread to let you all know work is progressing to produce this film.

The film's producer was shown my 2016 'Baja California Land of Missions' book by Pancho at Bahía San Rafael and contacted me.

I look forward to seeing the finished product!

[Edited on 10-14-2021 by David K]

David K - 12-6-2017 at 03:03 PM

A little update on the film...
The producer contacted me and we are having breakfast together in a couple days. Seems our amigo Pancho (Bahia San Rafael) showed him my mission book (I left a few with him to sell for a little dinero). Well no good deed goes unrewarded and they are using some of the data in my book for the film and want to interview me for the movie... maybe a few seconds worth? ;)

Here is another short clip on the film:

David K - 6-14-2018 at 01:19 PM

I relayed the sad news of Pancho's passing to Todd Bruce, the film's producer.
See the mention and photos of Pancho: http://brokenwagonfilms.com/blog/

[Edited on 6-14-2018 by David K]

The Devil's Road - Available Online in its Entirety for Free

Subjectruin - 10-13-2021 at 05:36 PM

Hello Baja Nomads - I just want to quickly give a final update for our film The Devil's Road. We've completed a run through the film festival circuit - made very difficult by the pandemic - and have racked up many awards, accolades, and screening opportunities over the past two years.

So as that draws to a close, we have now put the entire feature film online to view for free: https://youtu.be/Jueqf0gXODw

Thanks to everyone here who has followed this project over the years and offered feedback and advice - it was a huge help. Feel free to pass the movie link along to friends, family, and other Baja lovers!

BajaBlanca - 10-14-2021 at 05:36 AM

Congratulations!

David K - 10-14-2021 at 07:34 AM

It is a wonderful film, showing the beauty and ecology of the peninsula as it has changed from the 1905 Nelson/Goldman expedition to today.
I was honored to be included in the film to speak a few seconds about the missions and El Camino Real!
Thank you!

BajaTed - 10-14-2021 at 11:23 AM

It is a wonderful film, showing the beauty and ecology of the peninsula as it has changed from the 1905 Nelson/Goldman expedition to today.
I was honored to be included in the film to speak a few seconds about the missions and El Camino Real!
Thank you!

Now you get S.A.G. membership?
Dues are due if so:lol:

David K - 10-14-2021 at 11:28 AM

Nope... I was an unpaid extra, lol. It was nice of them to mention my book. They were given a copy originally by Pancho at San Rafael (I gave Pancho a few to sell to help him in 2016).

Bajaboy - 10-14-2021 at 11:37 AM

I'm going to check this out tonight. We just got back from another trip down to see the cave paintings in Sierra San Francisco. This time our friend and guide dove deep into some of the history of the village and other information not found in books. There is so much history nearby. Look forward to the film.

David K - 10-14-2021 at 11:51 AM

Great... and you will so proud of Pancho when you see and hear him in the film! They filmed there in 2017, I believe.

Bajaboy - 10-14-2021 at 04:24 PM

Great... and you will so proud of Pancho when you see and hear him in the film! They filmed there in 2017, I believe.

We watched Ryan Duzer complete the Baja Divide. We were hoping that he stopped by Pancho's and sure enough he did. We were stoked to see our pictures in the background. This was just a few weeks before he died, I believe. Pancho, as you know David, played a big part in our Baja lives. We shared the sad news that he passed with some of his friends up at St. Teresa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBg4NeIT2eg

Bajaboy - 10-15-2021 at 05:20 AM

We really enjoyed the movie!

David K - 10-15-2021 at 08:33 AM

It was fun seeing Graham, and Carolina (L.A. Bay museum), plus Pancho and others we meet in Baja!

My little part was filmed in San Marcos, near where I was living in 2013-2018. Todd and his son met me for breakfast and then we went to a small park with a little lake for the filming. I got Todd Bruce to sign my copy of Edward Nelson's book by his uncle's photo in it...

[Edited on 10-15-2021 by David K]

edm1 - 10-15-2021 at 08:48 AM

OK, I watched the video/documentary. It's a modern high(er)-budget road trip / expedition using the backdrop of the century-old expedition.

I think the producers should get it to Amazon Video documentaries. I think it fits along the lines of Expedition Overland's trip to Alaska, South America, etc.

It was a good watch.

Thank you for making it available. I watched it on my 27" monitor. I'd watch it again in the big screen when it's available in Amazon Prime, hopefully with 5.1 or Atmos soundtrack :-)

P.S. I felt great to see you David in your cameo role!!!

[Edited on 10-15-2021 by edm1]

David K - 10-15-2021 at 10:08 AM

Thanks Art... I love sharing my passion for the history of the peninsula. Since they had used my book for historic data while filming (they got a copy from Pancho at San Rafael), they thought it would be neat to have me speak about the missions and El Camino Real... a small part was included in the film.

BajaBlanca - 10-16-2021 at 12:30 PM

We watched the documentary last night, what a fun watch! So much history and how incredible those adventurers were. I cannot fathom how they pulled it off and the scary part was when they needed the supplies from a boat that was late.

Thanks for sharing.

Timinator - 10-17-2021 at 01:05 PM

My review of all three shows; I enjoyed the science aspect of the first show (despite the man made global warming crap), the other two were less science and more adventure, which, at least for most of us here, we've got first hand knowledge of.

So for me, more science. My travels to Baja both exploring and diving started in '87 with 4 cars full of marine and terrestrial biologists. All the subsequent trips were with my marine biologist friends. Very informative. I wish I had recorded all the info they provided.

Don Pisto - 10-17-2021 at 01:29 PM

the sea's were angry that day my friend, like an old man trying to send soup back at a deli....

David K - 10-17-2021 at 04:58 PM

Tim, I am guessing you watched the previews posted 5 years ago (2016)? The entire movie is now available to watch, for free... See the reply on 10-13-21 by Subjectruin.

:light:

Timinator - 10-18-2021 at 07:10 AM

Tim, I am guessing you watched the previews posted 5 years ago (2016)? The entire movie is now available to watch, for free... See the reply on 10-13-21 by Subjectruin.

:light:

Yep, you're right, I watched the previews, I didn't realize the thread was so old. The whole show is all cued up now, I'll get to it!