BajaNomad

Grey whale migration to Baja!

WHALE OF BAJA - 7-29-2016 at 10:26 AM

We are so excited about the beginning of the grey whale migration from Alaska to Baja. In about 2 months they we will be passing our San Diego, CA shorelines to their breeding and birthing lagoons in Baja.
Last year we were able to get up close and personal enough to touch a whale! We are looking forward to going back again this year.

Howard - 7-29-2016 at 02:33 PM

October, November seems a little early for those blubbery critters. They should be passing through
San Diego sometime in December IMHO.

BooJumMan - 7-29-2016 at 03:37 PM

Yeah I think your timing is a tad off. I'm in San Diego as well. They were traveling back North for the last few months. I haven't seen any the last couple weeks.

April-June I was seeing a few everyday. Most within a mile offshore. Lots of close encounters the last two years.

StuckSucks - 7-29-2016 at 03:49 PM

ACS/LA GRAY WHALE CENSUS AND BEHAVIOR PROJECT

Palos Verdes Peninsula, located approximately 8 miles north of the Los Angeles Harbor:

Bajahowodd - 7-29-2016 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
October, November seems a little early for those blubbery critters. They should be passing through

This. And in my opinion, after numerous trips to GN, early March is absolutely the best time to play with the whales.

Howard - 7-29-2016 at 06:10 PM

What I meant was they will be passing right to left on your radio dial. (One of Chick Hearn's sayings) In other words, Southbound!

Udo - 7-30-2016 at 10:46 AM

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I see quite a few in December from our front porch in Bahia Asunción.
There are several easy feeding reefs right across the house in Asunción bay.

[Edited on 7-30-2016 by Udo]

Udo - 7-30-2016 at 10:50 AM

Superb graphic!

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
ACS/LA GRAY WHALE CENSUS AND BEHAVIOR PROJECT

Palos Verdes Peninsula, located approximately 8 miles north of the Los Angeles Harbor:

Bajahowodd - 7-30-2016 at 03:54 PM

If you want to pet the calves, you really need to wait until early March. The males have left the lagoon, and the proud mamas encourage you to get intimate with their babies.

TMW - 7-30-2016 at 03:58 PM

How far from the shoreline are the whales when going south or north.

shari - 7-30-2016 at 07:05 PM

Gray whales swim further offshore on the southern migration and hug the coastline when they travel north so they take advantage of the favouring currents.
You dont have to wait till March to have friendly encounters as we have lots of contact in February too....but in March the calves are more used to being loved on and are bigger and more playful.