BajaNomad

Was practicing the Follow Me Mode this week with the drone

JZ - 8-6-2016 at 11:28 PM

Descended about 500 feet and had it stay the same height from the vehicle throughout.

Gonna try it out in Baja soon.

BigBearRider - 8-7-2016 at 05:27 AM

Very cool.

You can see the drone legs in the corner of a few frames. Wonder if there's a way to avoid that.

(Also considerate of you to use the turnouts when faster traffic was behind. I have long considered installing some sort of bullhorn or PA system in my car to remind slower traffic to use the turnouts, particularly when driving up to and down from Big Bear.)

JZ - 8-7-2016 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Very cool.

You can see the drone legs in the corner of a few frames. Wonder if there's a way to avoid that.

This is the Phantom 3 and the first time I've seen it do it. They came out with the Phantom 4 this year, not sure if it would do it. It's only happens when it needs to make an extreme turn, so avoiding making it do that (i.e. a less windy road or driving slower) would be the the only way to stop it.

DJI also makes the the Inspire and on it the landing gear goes up after take off.

ehall - 8-7-2016 at 07:59 AM

Can you set the height above the ground you want it to fly? How fast can you go go and have it keep up?

Bob and Susan - 8-7-2016 at 08:02 AM

wow...I love it

JZ - 8-7-2016 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Can you set the height above the ground you want it to fly? How fast can you go go and have it keep up?

You can set the flight height either above where you power on or set it above the height of the mobile device that is controlling it. I set it 200 feet above the mobile device, that way it goes up or down as you move. It gets tricky though as you descend. You can see it getting close to the ground at the end where the mountain is steep right next to the road.

You can also set the distance you want it to stay from you and if you want it to follow or lead you as you move. The top speed of the P3 is about 38mph. I had it in lead mode, but if you go faster than it can fly it will lag behind you, and then try to correct once you slow down.

The P4 can go almost 50mph and also has optical sensors on the front and bottom to avoid obstacles.

[Edited on 8-7-2016 by JZ]

ehall - 8-7-2016 at 09:11 AM

That's awesome. Would be great on some desert singletrack on a dirt bike. Set it at 50' to avoid any saguaro or cardon cactus.

mrfatboy - 8-7-2016 at 09:16 AM

What is the max flight time?

JZ - 8-7-2016 at 09:49 AM

They say 23 mins for the P3 and 28 minutes for P4. In reality it's closer to 15 mins for the P3. I never let it get below 25% on the battery. Have 3 batteries total and thinking about buying a 4th.

Rossman - 8-7-2016 at 10:25 AM

Do you have the P3 Standard or the 4K version? I have the Standard and just did a Follow Me through the village of Bahia Asuncion this morning. Pretty cool footage about an hour after sunrise. Unfortunately the internet service is pretty sketchy here so uploading these big video files is next to impossible.

Bob and Susan - 8-7-2016 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
... Unfortunately the internet service is pretty sketchy here so uploading these big video files is next to impossible.

you need to use something like windows movie maker and shorten the video...maybe add music...

keep the time under 2.5 minutes or people get bored

Rossman - 8-7-2016 at 11:24 AM

Three minutes of 2.7 k video is 960 MB, and I use movie Maker

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
... Unfortunately the internet service is pretty sketchy here so uploading these big video files is next to impossible.

you need to use something like windows movie maker and shorten the video...maybe add music...

keep the time under 2.5 minutes or people get bored

JZ - 8-7-2016 at 11:47 AM

Do you have the P3 Standard or the 4K version? I have the Standard and just did a Follow Me through the village of Bahia Asuncion this morning. Pretty cool footage about an hour after sunrise. Unfortunately the internet service is pretty sketchy here so uploading these big video files is next to impossible.

P3 pro. I used the Litchi app to control it instead of the DJI Go App. You should check it out, you can use it to set up waypoints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W8g0nHHNik

willyAirstream - 8-7-2016 at 11:53 AM

Very cool. I want one!!

mrfatboy - 8-7-2016 at 01:29 PM

Although I find them very cool and someday I might even get one, I can see that they can be a huge invasion of privacy.

My wife and I have a very private backyard with pool. Just yesterday, our new neighbors (we have not met yet) launched a drone while we were enjoying our pool time. Although, the drone was in their "airspace" it was high above the trees looking down at us. The high pitched buzz was annoying also. My wife was very ticked off about it.:fire:

I so wanted to shoot it down but that is a big no no :lol:

I did get a chuckle when the guy messed up the landing. I heard it hit hard or caught on something.:lol:

Rossman - 8-7-2016 at 01:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

P3 pro. I used the Litchi app to control it instead of the DJI Go App. You should check it out, you can use it to set up waypoints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W8g0nHHNik

I'll check it out. Thanks

bajaguy - 8-7-2016 at 02:40 PM

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

mtgoat666 - 8-7-2016 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Drone geeks violate this FAA rule all the time!
"Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary vehicle."

Udo - 8-7-2016 at 03:05 PM

In the USA.

JZ - 8-7-2016 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

These are rules for commercial drone use only. It also says what you need to do get a pilot license.

All make sense except the line of sight one. But even for that you can get a waiver.

[Edited on 8-7-2016 by JZ]

DawnPatrol - 8-8-2016 at 11:37 AM

I would love to use this feature on the boat when we are drifting in a Tuna bite....
but I'm too chicken as if anything screwed up there it goes into the drink

For Dawn Patrol

AKgringo - 8-8-2016 at 12:19 PM

I found this link from Dec 2015;

https://www.lily.camera/

Edit; because I posted the wrong link first time

[Edited on 8-8-2016 by AKgringo]

JZ - 8-8-2016 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
I would love to use this feature on the boat when we are drifting in a Tuna bite....

They are so good now you'd almost have to purposely put it in the water.

mtgoat666 - 8-8-2016 at 01:19 PM

For the life aquatica, would be more useful to have an underwater drone, eh?

BigBearRider - 8-8-2016 at 02:49 PM

[Disregard.]

[Edited on 8-8-2016 by BigBearRider]

DawnPatrol - 8-8-2016 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

They are so good now you'd almost have to purposely put it in the water.

thats good to know

wessongroup - 8-8-2016 at 03:12 PM

Thanks ... amazing technology available today :):)

CortezBlue - 8-9-2016 at 10:03 PM

I have a DJI P3 and I have taken several videos and I am absolutely amazed and scared chitless a the same time.

It is like taking 500 bucks and hooking it to a paper clip and floating it out over an area that is impossible to get to.

It is a blast