BajaNomad

NEW REMOTE WHALE CAMP in Laguna Ojo de Liebre!!!

shari - 8-9-2016 at 06:14 PM

I was going to wait a bit longer to announce our new whale camp project, but since people are asking about it, I am excited to present this magical new place to hang out with whales.

It is with great pride and pleasure that I announce my involvement in a brand new ecotourism project in Laguna Ojo de Liebre called La Mar Ecotours…short for Laguna Marina Ecotours. I have been invited to work with this vibrant group of young second generation fishermen as they embark on an exciting venture to provide them with sustainable jobs for their future and protect their valuable ecosystem.

Their fishing cooperative has been operating in the Guerrero Negro area and the lagoon since 1969 but when the Vizcaino Biosphere Reserve was formed and commercial whale watching began, the fishermen agreed to stop fishing in the lagoon in order to protect the Gray Whale nursery. In order to compensate for the loss of income, the cooperative has received government assistance and been granted permits to carry out whale watching and other tourist activities which gave rise to the formation of this ecotourism sector within the coop.

The group’s enthusiasm is refreshing and they have many excellent ideas for building a healthy ecotourism camp including not only whale watching but birding, kayaking, sport fishing, remote camping, hiking, workshops & courses. They hope to attract educational groups as well as tourists to their unique wilderness camp.

The year round camp is located in a pristine area of the lagoon where giant white sand dunes meet the sea. The camp has a deep water canal close in to the beach where whales pass by within 30 meters of the shore offering incredible land based whale watching from January to April.

Plans are underway for a unique facility with an educational center/conference room, guest rooms & dining room as well as private cabins and camping area. Here you can swim, kayak, paddle board, fish for your dinner, hike, bird watch, beach comb or just relax and watch whales in front of your tent.

The fishing cooperative will provide fresh seafood caught locally and collected from their aquaculture projects including fresh lobster you choose from a trap, oysters and scallops as well as offer meat and vegetarian dishes to guests.

They have spacious new super pangas, top of the line safety equipment and infrastructure already established. The area where they whale watch is private so only their pangas will be operating there.

We offer a variety of packages from half day whale watches, full day trips with 2 whale watches and a seafood lunch at their camp by the dunes, 3-day glamping packages and week long retreats. The food is fresh, the staff is well trained and has a paramedic onsite as well. You leave your car in a locked & guarded compound at their office while at the whale camp. We pick you up at your hotel if you prefer to stay in town.

I am taking an active role in training these wonderful young men how to successfully & safely approach and develop relationships with whales and tourists too! I am delighted to be a part of this new team and will assist them with promoting their ecologically and socially responsible project. Their enthusiasm is infectious and I feel rejuvenated as I head into my 60th year on this beautiful planet.

So Whale Magic will be offering more in depth naturalist guided whale trips with this new company providing unique, intimate, educational tours. Reserve well in advance to get the dates you want as there will be limited space on the full day trips.

More info on packages at www.whalemagictours.com

Here is a video showing what our new tours have to offer!

[Edited on 8-10-2016 by shari]

bajaguy - 8-9-2016 at 06:20 PM

Will you also still be taking tours from the whale center we have used in the past??

woody with a view - 8-9-2016 at 06:28 PM

coooool.

shari - 8-9-2016 at 06:31 PM

I dont think I will have time to get out there next season as I will be out at our new whale camp and doing full day trips....something new! Whale Magic camp will not be at the Ejido campground but at the new camp called Carros Viejos which is located out close to the mouth of the lagoon.

The story is that the fisherman at Malarrimo fish camp wanted a vehicle out there to cruise the beach to their camp and so they brought beat up old vehicles across on pangas lashed together. Over the years these vehicles died and were left on the beach where the new camp is being established and where the vigilancia cabin is. I suggested they leave one there as a reminder of why the area is called that....it is really a spectacularly beautiful place with insane beach combing! You can even go catch the fish you want for lunch!

It will be fun to discover a new area and the exclusivity is a real bonus...none of that jockeying for position for friendly whales. There are really cool whirlpools there too where whales love to play and dance.

55steve - 8-9-2016 at 06:40 PM

Looks excellent Shari!

bajaguy - 8-9-2016 at 06:45 PM

Looking forward to the new adventure!!

shari - 8-9-2016 at 06:56 PM

I am so excited about this new camp...there is nothing like it anywhere...the night sky is incredible and watching whales pass by only a few meters from the beach is amazing...they will do very well there. They have grande plans for it and will be open to tourist year round with other activities like fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding the estuaries, hiking etc. Malarrimo beach is just the other side of those dunes. I wonder if you could surf the bar at the mouth of the lagoon?

The new full day tour is also something no other company offers and is a much richer experience. I'm so stoked!

liknbaja127 - 8-9-2016 at 07:48 PM

Good for you Shari! count us in. can't wait to see the new camp!
Will start working on a date.

David K - 8-9-2016 at 07:51 PM

Love the sand dunes!!!

Best wishes on the new service!!!

4x4abc - 8-9-2016 at 08:37 PM

very eco to collect rusting cars at the beach - a very inspiring camp!

MMc - 8-9-2016 at 09:18 PM

How cool is this!!!!

shari - 8-10-2016 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
very eco to collect rusting cars at the beach - a very inspiring camp!

the few vehicles that were there had been there for a long long time...before ECO was a concept. The cooperativa has removed them and the rubble and cleaned up the area beautifully...leaving one vehicle as sort of a historical monument. I think it's kind of cool the name remains the same and they dont make up some bullchit name like Dream Beach....keeping the original name acknowledges the history of the place which will be a part of the educational program provided too.

Part of evolving into a sustainable business comes from historical "errors" made that they have learned from. They are learning and advancing and I applaud their efforts...they can no longer just toss their cigarette butts on the beach! hahaha

Whale-ista - 8-10-2016 at 08:25 AM

Felicidades! This looks like a great location. I am making plans to bring a group down either late January or mid February. Looks like we'll have a new place to explore.

PS
If they're interested in buying a shuttle bus we should talk.

shari - 8-10-2016 at 08:32 AM

Great news Lori...you never know...they may be interested! They have excellent equipment and a couple of vans already and are looking into transport from the north.

As the camp is going to be small this season, it is important to book early to get the dates you want as it is already filling up. You are going to LOVE it!!! I found whale barnacles on the beach!

Udo - 8-10-2016 at 09:04 AM

Congratulations, Shari...great new gig!

BTW...is the Malarrimo beach you are talking about the same one that is out on the Peninsula?

winnebago 2 - 8-10-2016 at 09:16 AM

Are there any areas where one could drive their rv to the site and camp.
Looks outstanding. Thanks

shari - 8-10-2016 at 09:28 AM

Udo...Malarrimo is behind those huge dunes.

winnebago...this remote camp has no road to it and is accessible only by boat which will be so nice not to hear any traffic noise at all and the night sky is amazing with no lights anywhere near it.

You can drive out to the Ejido campground...the entrance is a few miles south of Guerrero Negro

This is our style!!

fixtrauma - 8-10-2016 at 10:43 AM

Can't wait tot experience this camp. Sounds like a great adventure.

Udo - 8-10-2016 at 11:26 AM

Malarrimo itself is accessible from the main road to Bahia Tortugas, but only by high ground clearance 4X4. The path is approximately 26 KM. long, and many strewn boulders along the way.

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Udo...Malarrimo is behind those huge dunes.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-10-2016 at 11:50 AM

FANTASTIC !!! sounds like a great project that nomads and others need to support.

when it's all ready to go, perhaps posting on other baja websites will help make it work.

bajaponyexpress, discover baja, bloodydecks, bajabound, etc.

congratulations !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

motoged - 8-10-2016 at 12:12 PM

WOW !!!!!

Great concept, for sure.....wonderful dunes and vista...good idea that it is a "boat in" concept....keeps the wilderness vibe going.

winnebago 2 - 8-10-2016 at 12:14 PM

Thanks. Love the fact of the remote camping. Cant wait till March.

4x4abc - 8-10-2016 at 12:34 PM

27°51'6.18"N, 114°17'41.32"W

nice and remote, but difficult to get to
and you can't just do a whale watching tour for a few hours
you'll be there for a day or two

great for a closed group

love the location!

shari - 8-10-2016 at 02:57 PM

La-Mar tours will be doing the normal 4 hour trip that the other companies do as well with one of their boats and another boat will be for my full day trips which include swinging by the oyster farm to pick up lunch, pulling a lobster trap to choose your lobster, dune tour and a 2 hour beach stop for walking, swimming, beach combing and lunch.

There will be another panga for the folks who are at the camp too so they can go out in the morning or afternoon or both too...they can also fish for their food too.

This group has great plans of also having kayaks, paddle boards etc at the camp for use and will do sport fishing as well.

David K - 8-10-2016 at 03:01 PM

I will guess that the dunes block the wind pretty well, too?

shari - 8-10-2016 at 03:48 PM

great for a closed group

love the location!

I believe this is the location'
https://goo.gl/maps/8KvXC3wNGzm

David K - 8-10-2016 at 03:51 PM

great for a closed group

love the location!

Same place.

BajaBlanca - 8-10-2016 at 04:03 PM

Oh Shari! this is so exciting! more kids will learn about taking care of the environment because their kids brothers sisters aunts uncles are doing this!

Simply superb. I do wish you and them the very best of luck!

shari - 8-10-2016 at 04:13 PM

I agree Blanca...they are very serious about the educational aspect of their new venture and plan to have seminars, research groups, courses etc. and integrate historical information into their tours.

plus it gives us a new place to visit here in central baja! It would be a great place to camp for a few days in the summer as it wouldnt be too hot there.

motoged - 8-11-2016 at 12:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
......love the location!

Same place.

Did anyone say it wasn't?

Ateo - 8-11-2016 at 06:43 AM

But will there be beer?

Sounds cool Shari.

See you down there soon.

David K - 8-11-2016 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
......love the location!

Same place.

Did anyone say it wasn't?

Yes Ged, someone did, but we got it covered, so you can relax!

shari - 8-11-2016 at 08:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
But will there be beer?

Sounds cool Shari.

what a silly question amigo....of course! These boys aim to please!

the new Interpretive Center plans are outstanding...it will be built in the shape of a lobster which is the main product of this cooperativa...the design is very unique.

They will start this season with quality canvas wall tents but have talked about building guest cabins with beach combed wood from the Maarrimo area which would be really neat. The eco laws for the reserve dictate you have to build with local materials.

4x4abc - 8-11-2016 at 08:42 AM

my inner eco laws say: "leave virgin beaches alone"

SFandH - 8-11-2016 at 08:52 AM

What are the rules for recreational boating in the area?

shari - 8-11-2016 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
What are the rules for recreational boating in the area?

during whale season no private boats are allowed in the lagoon but after that I imagine it's no problem.

The new whale camp Carros Viejos is on a small sliver of beach and there is already the vigilancia camp there so it is not "virgin". There are thousands of miles of virgin beaches in central baja to explore.

mtgoat666 - 8-11-2016 at 05:05 PM

An eco camp of tents and portable storage and maybe a palapa or two should have minimal impact. As long as they don't build big permanent structures, should be a groovy Eco vibe.
Given all the sand dunes and fast currents in that area, I suspect Mother Earth will remove or cover anything left behind, eh?

The google earth photos of that area are interesting, where dunes are migrating into tidal channels and mangroves,... Looks like a cool place to go on a walkabout.

[Edited on 8-12-2016 by mtgoat666]

shari - 8-11-2016 at 06:20 PM

it is a very vibrant area indeed.....there are several estuaries that one can explore in a kayak or paddleboard, the bird watching is superb and it is an amazing place to hike...I really look forward to walking around that point at the mouth. There are tons of whale bones and beautiful shells on the beach and up the estuaries....it is so much more than a whale camp.

David K - 8-12-2016 at 02:13 PM

At the red arrow.

norte - 8-12-2016 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

An eco camp of tents and portable storage and maybe a palapa or two should have minimal impact. As long as they don't build big permanent structures, should be a groovy Eco vibe.
Given all the sand dunes and fast currents in that area, I suspect Mother Earth will remove or cover anything left behind, eh?

The google earth photos of that area are interesting, where dunes are migrating into tidal channels and mangroves,... Looks like a cool place to go on a walkabout.

[Edited on 8-12-2016 by mtgoat666]

Yes except for the pee and poop left behind by all the eco friendly tourists.

David K - 8-12-2016 at 03:33 PM

Organic, natural fertilizer.

Bajahowodd - 8-12-2016 at 04:46 PM

I cannot but congratulate Shari. But, at the same time there are a whole bunch of tenderfoots who drive Baja and do stop to see the whales. They do not camp. The original nature center offered a refined environment with a restaurant and bar. Drive ins could get on a panga.

I have encountered Shari and Sirena at the nature center more than once.

Her new thingy does not appeal to me or my family, as much as it does have much appeal to others.

My question is, since Shari's husband Juan is a member of the ejido, will there be any blowback to her new enterprise.

David K - 8-12-2016 at 04:57 PM

Agree it will have a limited clientele. Many won't leave their vehicle for multiple days or be parted from it in case of sudden desire or need to leave or want to sleep in their vehicle (camper on pickup), etc.

It would be great for tour bus guests or fly-in guests. How's that little Guerrero Negro airline doing? Okay since the one plane crashed west of Loreto?

mtgoat666 - 8-12-2016 at 05:56 PM

Agree it will have a limited clientele. Many won't leave their vehicle for multiple days or be parted from it in case of sudden desire or need to leave or want to sleep in their vehicle (camper on pickup), etc.
?

Huh?

Be adventurous!

Your car should not be your security blankey.

Fleeing is a a poor response to new or different experiences. Man up, and commit to seeing a new experience through, from start to finish.

Grow a pair!

rts551 - 8-12-2016 at 06:35 PM

I would not leave my car unattended. They have been "borrowed" lately and the police believe some of the culprits are from Vizcaino and Guerrero Negro.

Bajaboy - 8-12-2016 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
I cannot but congratulate Shari. But, at the same time there are a whole bunch of tenderfoots who drive Baja and do stop to see the whales. They do not camp. The original nature center offered a refined environment with a restaurant and bar. Drive ins could get on a panga.

I have encountered Shari and Sirena at the nature center more than once.

Her new thingy does not appeal to me or my family, as much as it does have much appeal to others.

My question is, since Shari's husband Juan is a member of the ejido, will there be any blowback to her new enterprise.

Juan is part of another fishing coop...not so sure about an ejido, though. And we're talking many miles away. Not sure why anyone would or should care...even you:?:;D:light:

[Edited on 8-13-2016 by Bajaboy]

shari - 8-13-2016 at 08:18 AM

La-Mar tours has a fenced in compound at their coop facility beside the Salt works that has a 24 hour guard as well so the vehicles are perfectly safe...safer than at the hotels!

Whale Magic will still be doing day trips with our usual hotel packages for those tenderfoots who dont wish to camp. These trips will include a lunch break at the camp where you can get off the panga...have a nice bathroom stop...they of course will have ecological biffies so no poop on the beach! you can have a walk on the beach or relax and watch whales from the beach...and the lunch they will serve will be fantastic! After seeing the camp, I imagine people will want to stay there instead of a hotel! It will be more like glamping with hot showers, a dining room, internet etc.

Of course it is not for everyone...which is one of the reasons I am more drawn to it...it is more personalized and unique for more serious whale folks. So yes I will be doing less trips..but of a higher quality.

My husband Juan is not a member of this particular fishing cooperativa or any ejido so I dont get what you mean by blowback howard???

DawnPatrol - 8-13-2016 at 10:52 AM

La-Mar tours has a fenced in compound at their coop facility beside the Salt works that has a 24 hour guard as well so the vehicles are perfectly safe...safer than at the hotels!

Whale Magic will still be doing day trips with our usual hotel packages for those tenderfoots who dont wish to camp. These trips will include a lunch break at the camp where you can get off the panga...have a nice bathroom stop...they of course will have ecological biffies so no poop on the beach! you can have a walk on the beach or relax and watch whales from the beach...and the lunch they will serve will be fantastic! After seeing the camp, I imagine people will want to stay there instead of a hotel! It will be more like glamping with hot showers, a dining room, internet etc.

Of course it is not for everyone...which is one of the reasons I am more drawn to it...it is more personalized and unique for more serious whale folks. So yes I will be doing less trips..but of a higher quality.

My husband Juan is not a member of this particular fishing cooperativa or any ejido so I dont get what you mean by blowback howard???

Great news on the new venture... but next season I will be doing another Whale Majic the "old" way...... as I will have some tenderfoots. However, I DO LIKE that under the Whale Majic we will be doing a lunch break at the new camp spot so we can check it our for future!
Alan

shari - 8-13-2016 at 12:55 PM

great Alan...I look forward to it...let me know when you have a date in mind so we can get it booked!

Bajahowodd - 8-13-2016 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  

Sorry. I do know that the Arce name is associate with ejidos all the way down to Punta Abreojos. My bad.

[Edited on 8-14-2016 by Bajahowodd]

[Edited on 8-14-2016 by Bajahowodd]

BajaGeoff - 8-15-2016 at 12:15 PM

Very cool Shari! Congratulations on the new venture!

shari - 8-16-2016 at 02:15 PM

thanks Geoff...

Howodd....the Arce name is abundant all over the peninsula particularly in our central area.....nothing to do with ejidos...they were here LONG before any ejidos were...and many are not pleased with the ejidos coming and claiming land that was just given to them by some Mexico city official....and now dislocating the original inhabitants of the land!!!

rts551 - 8-16-2016 at 03:33 PM

Yes, I imagine the original inhabitants would be upset at being dislocated....had their culture survived.

Bajahowodd - 8-16-2016 at 04:30 PM

thanks Geoff...

Howodd....the Arce name is abundant all over the peninsula particularly in our central area.....nothing to do with ejidos...they were here LONG before any ejidos were...and many are not pleased with the ejidos coming and claiming land that was just given to them by some Mexico city official....and now dislocating the original inhabitants of the land!!!

Got it.

shari - 8-16-2016 at 04:49 PM

the original Arce....a horseman sent from Spain to guard the SAn Ignacio mission married an indigenous woman so the Arce descendants have Cochimi blood too.