BajaNomad

volcanic rocks....

surfer jim - 2-2-2005 at 09:51 AM

What was the name of the black rocks we picked up on the Matomi trip a few years ago?.....was watching a discovery channel show about Pompei explosion and was thinking about lava in the air....

bajalou - 2-2-2005 at 09:56 AM

Probably "Apachie Tears" small rounded pieces of nature's glass, Obsidian.

:biggrin:

Barry A. - 2-2-2005 at 12:54 PM

Much of the volcanic stuff that flys thru the air is "Tufa", which is quite light weight, and very rough and full of holes. The really light weight volcanic stuff is "Pumice" (probably not spelled right) and it is so light weight that some of it floats on water. It is also very rough, and porous. Pumice is usually light colored, but not always. Tufa can be lots of different colors. It the rock was really shiny and glass-like, then it probably was "obsidian", but obsidian does not "fly thru the air" in a volcanic irruption. There is tons of all this stuff in Baja CA, and that includes the "grand-daddy wash", Matomi, and general area.

Feb. 2004 Matomi Gang Caravan

David K - 2-2-2005 at 06:14 PM

Jim, maybe a different trip.... But LAST year, we stopped here on our way to Valle Chico & Matomi Canyon (south of the sulfur mine and a mile west of the old Puertecitos road) to see the Apache Tears (obsidian pebbles). They are dull on the outside, but when broken show the shiny black glassy finish...

Here is GeoRock and Pat (Mexray's esposa) collecting them...

surfer jim - 2-3-2005 at 09:22 AM

that was the trip...last year....thought it was longer.....found a rock I had saved in my glove compartment while I was looking for something else about a week ago and then that show got me wondering....

tunaeater - 2-3-2005 at 12:16 PM

Yes, that was awesome! I was on that trip. Thanks David and crew for showing us those little black rocks. I now like to show people how the rocks look like after being broken..Very nice Paul

P.S. When is the next get together in that area...

[Edited on 2-3-2005 by tunaeater]