BajaNomad

Charles Schwab Visa/Debit Card - Question ?

elskel - 8-24-2016 at 10:31 AM

To All: I know this has been discussed. Quick questions, All who are using: This is a visa / debit card? No ATM fees? No 3% foreign transaction fees? Thanks Brian

del mar - 8-24-2016 at 10:40 AM

its all true...and I just got a capitol one card for a back-up

Lee - 8-24-2016 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elskel  
To All: I know this has been discussed. Quick questions, All who are using: This is a visa / debit card? No ATM fees? No 3% foreign transaction fees? Thanks Brian

CS will pay all fees. No ATM transaction fees in BCS, or other bank fees in the US.

bill erhardt - 8-24-2016 at 11:11 AM

All true, and in addition Schwab also keeps track of all fees any other bank charges you to use the Schwab card and remits those accumulated charges to your account every month.

sancho - 8-24-2016 at 02:27 PM

I remember a post or 2, re: the CS atm card not being accepted
or denied. I suppose this is true of any card. I have a bank account that CLAIMS no atm fee with a large balance, never have used it in Mex, so those that have the CS account, at least
here, have had smmoth sailing with the CS card?

Jack Swords - 8-24-2016 at 03:54 PM

I suggest you use the search function to see the past posts on the CS card. We have used it for years with $5000 deposit at CS, but had the card denied in La Paz twice as they assumed there was some irregularities since it was in Mexico. We had written them of our travels and requested and received confirmation. Nevertheless, we were denied at an ATM and wasted much time in phone calls back to CS in the states. Luckily we had a back up card to obtain pesos and groceries as we were headed home after 3 months in La Paz. Never have we had problems with other ATM cards, but twice with CS and treated with indifference when we were finally able to call. Yes, CS did take care of all fees associated with the card, which was nice. Is the card reliable, I don't believe so and you should have a backup card just in case. Before folks tell us how they NEVER had a problem with CS, we didn't either until we DID. Your choice.

elskel - 8-24-2016 at 04:54 PM

Thanks for the quick responses, sent paperwork in today. I do have backup if problem arises.
Thanks bk

willardguy - 8-24-2016 at 05:02 PM

Thanks for the quick responses, sent paperwork in today. I do have backup if problem arises.
Thanks bk

just a heads up.....if you're funding this from down here be sure to use a VPN, I didn't and hit a buzz saw and had to go in person to the schwab branch in SD!

Lee - 8-24-2016 at 06:18 PM

I've never had problems with CS in years of using the card. I tell CS when I'm SOB and NOB. Stuff happens. Always have a backup.

mrfatboy - 8-24-2016 at 06:33 PM

Never had an issue with my CS ATM card in Mexico. All fees paid. Only had one deny when taking out money. My wife was using wrong password and they locked her card. My card still worked on same account.

The good thing about CS is that you can have multiple unique cards tied to same account. That way if one is denied/lost you can still use the other one.

fandango - 8-24-2016 at 07:20 PM

Once you make a deposit or transfer to your Chuck checking There is a 3 or 4 day hold for funds to be available for withdrawal.