BajaNomad

OH OH Hurricane Newton coming...

Pages:  1  2

BigBearRider - 9-6-2016 at 02:54 PM

Are those pangas on the sand?

JC43 - 9-6-2016 at 03:12 PM

still no power in CSL > running my generator <.But water got pressure now. Downtown a mess! Cleaning up on its way. No more rain, just sprinkles. Refreshing to walk after this summer !

David K - 9-6-2016 at 04:34 PM

Thank you all! Hang in there. The eye appears to be just reaching the bottom of Bahia Concepcion.

Newton.jpg - 187kB

StuckSucks - 9-6-2016 at 04:49 PM

Almost 27' seas in the Cortez.

StuckSucks - 9-6-2016 at 04:54 PM

We're driving the Mojave Road westbound on Friday starting at the CA/AZ border, south of Bullhead. We might get to see some hurricane aftermath out there.

bazinga - 9-6-2016 at 04:54 PM

It really wasn't all that bad here in Loreto, the strongest part of the storm only lasted two hours or so and I'm guessing 2-4 inches of rain.

The power is already back on, (a nice surprise) Hope all have a good evening.

Russ - 9-6-2016 at 04:58 PM

42 stronges gust 3" rain bad internet

BigBearRider - 9-6-2016 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
42 stronges gust 3" rain bad internet

Good to hear from you. I got nervous when I didn't see updates for a while.

shari - 9-6-2016 at 05:10 PM

looks like it's crossing rather quickly which is great for taking the rain with it...when they slow down and stall is when the water wreaks havoc...keep the reports coming Russ!

That satellite photo above really demonstrates how we at the heel of the peninsula really stick out into the ocean and storms often just graze our shores with the outer bands..like fog too...sticking out seems to be a good thing for us! And thank goodness for cooler ocean temps as storms get tempted across to the other side attracted by the heat.

Newton is a classic storm...locals are always warning...hurricanes can whip up fast and accelerate all of a sudden...and stall and dump alot of water...or get sucked over to the other side between Todos Santos & Mag Bay.

Whale-ista - 9-6-2016 at 05:30 PM

It seems likely to be following the warm water, right up the SOC.

All that warm water will generate a few more of these before the season ends.

MulegeAL - 9-6-2016 at 05:32 PM

Just off the phone with a local in Mulege. Been raining since about 730AM. Much rain and wind now. Power and cell service still working as of now.

He is concerned about flooding later tonight, but so far no big flood as far as I can tell from here talking with local contact. The river/estuario is sure to rise some, its now a question of when and how much.

Storm seems to be moving fast and that is good, the desert is going to be plenty green after this!

[Edited on 9-7-2016 by MulegeAL]

BigBearRider - 9-6-2016 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
Just off the phone with a local in Mulege. Been raining since about 730AM. Much rain and wind now. Power and cell service still working as of now.

He is concerned about flooding later tonight, but so far no big flood as far as I can tell from here talking with local contact. The river/estuario is sure to rise some, its now a question of when and how much.

Storm seems to be moving fast and that is good, the desert is going to be plenty green after this!

[Edited on 9-7-2016 by MulegeAL]

I'm cautiously optimistic.

MulegeAL - 9-6-2016 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, me too. Figure if I go buy cleanup supplies and load them in the rig then Newton will give me a break! We'll see if that worked in the AM!

Meany - 9-6-2016 at 06:00 PM

Russ if your still on you should be in the eye. It's the back side that is Bad. :mad:

Russ - 9-6-2016 at 06:40 PM

6 PM __ sorry about spelling in a rush because internet doesn't stay up long now. wind is stronger all the time now and lots of boomer can't see the lightening thru the rain. All windows and doors are closed now. No obvious leaks yet except in the garage and under the garage doors. but it's still early in this storm. Got a radio call fro the mountains this morning it was raining and they are worried but safe. I see the internet is out again. I'll be surprised if the flimsy Excede dish doesn't bend in half. The surf is huge now and I'm worried the boat house doors will be knocked down again. Hopefully this storm will pause enough to go look before dark. What strikes me as really unusual is the wind all day has come from the North. That usually doesn't happen until after the hurricane passes and we get the back side. - - - 7 PM 4" of rain and this storm is going to last awhile

Russ - 9-6-2016 at 06:58 PM

I'm back:bounce: Rain stopped for a moment, Dog got out and I shot a couple of photos while I was down. Waiting for photo bucket. Wind change just now. 17+ SW That's bad! I'll edit this and add photos when I can.

7 pm PDT (8 PM local)

David K - 9-6-2016 at 07:03 PM

Right off from Russ!

Newton-2.jpg - 194kB

Gulliver - 9-6-2016 at 07:08 PM

Well, AL. If any of your bikes end up in my yard, can I keep them?

Meany - 9-6-2016 at 07:14 PM

Hang in there Russ and Mason.

Russ - 9-6-2016 at 07:18 PM

Thanks for that shot David K! If that right then this is nearly over.

trouble with photobucket

This is spooky now. No wind or rain for over a half hour. Doors and windows are open and the temps climbing. Gotta a new book... later all

[Edited on 9-7-2016 by Russ]

BigBearRider - 9-6-2016 at 07:31 PM

Impressive waves, Russ!

mooose29 - 9-6-2016 at 07:41 PM

Russ

Thank you for the pictures and updates today. Stay safe and dry we are thinking of you guys.

chivatojoe - 9-6-2016 at 07:52 PM

Windyty has it just passing by now with winds out of the north west at 41 kts and a total of 6.1 inches of rain so far. I do believe that the worst of it may have passed. Here's hoping. Thanks for the in person reports .Sorry you always have to be the hurricane man, but you do a terrific job. Glad to have you there. Be there Friday Saturday roads permitting...

BornFisher - 9-6-2016 at 09:09 PM

Hope all is well and the rain in Baja has more benefits than damage.
Russ-- love the weather station, keep `em coming!!
Warning to Arizona and New Mexico--- don`t sit under an apple tree when Newton passes!!!

Gulliver - 9-6-2016 at 09:30 PM

I'm seeing some Facebook pictures of Mulege looking at the big bridge. Maybe three feet less than Odile. Let's see. We had nine feet in the house back then. Six feet deep this time?

We are much, much better prepared this time. Everything is stored on high ground and the window and door protections I built look like Hitler's bunker.

Hope springs eternal.

Zola - 9-6-2016 at 11:12 PM

Here on the west coast at San Juanico we had steady rains from mid-day onwards, sometimes it became a driving downpour. We also had breezy winds that occasionally became stiff, tropical storm winds. We have more water this time than when TS Blanca came through in June, 2015. I have a small, temporary pond that begins right at my front door, I hope it evaporates soon. The winds have subsided.

The region sorely needed the rain. I hope everyone stayed dry and safe.

motoged - 9-6-2016 at 11:23 PM

Some more news:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hurricane-newton-mexico-1.3749115

chuckie - 9-7-2016 at 03:36 AM

Pics and vids over on TB

Russ - 9-7-2016 at 05:13 AM

Good morning All. Hope everyone is okay and without damage.
Too dark to assess any damage but I think I came out okay. I'm a little surprised the Excede dish survived. I went to bed to read awhile last night around 9:30 when the winds were still quiet. That didn't last long and the wind from the back side of Newton arrived with gusto but very little rain. I wasn't very concerned until I heard a huge noise and saw the wind had hit 40mph or better. I looked thru the windows with a flash light and couldn't see anything out of place. I looked at my neighbors roof the best I could and it was fine. I scanned his front yard and his 21' Parker is now resting (on the trailer) on the bulk head. Missed his stairs by inches. I'm pretty sure there is no damage and will be able to pull it off the bulkhead without a problem. Photos after sunrise Tom. Haven't seen my boat house doors or the beach yet. I'm sure our road in is not passable and I will take the Polaris out to look today or tomorrow.

[Edited on 9-7-2016 by Russ]

Meany - 9-7-2016 at 06:06 AM

Good Morning Russ. Glad to here you and Mason are fine. Sounds like a wild one. Can't wait for pictures.

mtnpop - 9-7-2016 at 06:20 AM

tried to call our worker in town this morning got voice mail,,, guessing that cell service is down for now... Web cam in our park went down about 6 or so last night... didn't look bad at that point but me thinks the brunt hit later in the night as usual...
sounds like we take cleanup supplies down once again...

take care all our friends and neighbors...

BajaMama - 9-7-2016 at 06:27 AM

Hey Russ, we lost our roof during Jimena, we are one north of fish camp, let us know if any thing bad happened! Thank you so much for all the updates, see you early October.

Russ - 9-7-2016 at 06:30 AM

I'll Start a Punta Chivato After Norman when I can this morning. Haven't had a chance to get out yet and photobucket it really slow.
I have telcel service.

Doug/Vamonos - 9-7-2016 at 06:36 AM

Light rain at Bahia last night. Barely. Cloudy but not menacing.

rts551 - 9-7-2016 at 06:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
looks like it's crossing rather quickly which is great for taking the rain with it...when they slow down and stall is when the water wreaks havoc...keep the reports coming Russ!

That satellite photo above really demonstrates how we at the heel of the peninsula really stick out into the ocean and storms often just graze our shores with the outer bands..like fog too...sticking out seems to be a good thing for us! And thank goodness for cooler ocean temps as storms get tempted across to the other side attracted by the heat.

Newton is a classic storm...locals are always warning...hurricanes can whip up fast and accelerate all of a sudden...and stall and dump alot of water...or get sucked over to the other side between Todos Santos & Mag Bay.
\

No rai n in Abreojos! We need some

David K - 9-7-2016 at 07:11 AM

Didn't stay in Baja long!

Clouseaus - 9-7-2016 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
I'll Start a Punta Chivato After Norman when I can this morning. Haven't had a chance to get out yet and photobucket it really slow.
I have telcel service.

Clouseaus - 9-7-2016 at 07:43 AM

Thanks Russ for being our "Man on the Ground"

shari - 9-7-2016 at 07:49 AM

While Russ had this yesterday afternoon, this was the conditions on the pacside at Bahia Asuncion at sunset.

and from my back door

and the laundry report

no rain...but it did blow about 25 knots last night.

Now for some road reports please...and I sure hope Mulege and San Ignacio didnt have too much flooding. Clean up time for many.

amigobaja - 9-7-2016 at 08:01 AM

Anyone have info on flood levels in mulege? Did Sauls get wet?

David K - 9-7-2016 at 08:12 AM

Thanks Shari, that looks nice! See the flash flood in Santa Rosalia video on Facebook! One of the two I saw is on Talk Baja: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/

[Edited on 9-7-2016 by David K]

wetto - 9-7-2016 at 08:45 AM

I am also interested in Sauls and La Fortuna area. (Mulege) Any Flood Heights and remnant mud information from our Nomads ?

chuckie - 9-7-2016 at 08:59 AM

It will take some time for people to get organized to get pics out and stuff. RE: La Fortuna, I talked to Terry this morning, he wasn't aware there had been a flood...so, Lee S be patient then you will likely gte more than you need..

Pescador - 9-7-2016 at 09:04 AM

The videos that ended up on Facebook at Talk Baja show a much lower water level from the river at Mulege. Perhaps the diversion up above really did make a difference. The flooding down Montoya in Santa Rosalia was pretty wild which is the arroyo road that always seem to get a lot of water. The San Luciano Creek/Arroyo which is the first place south of town where they built the big bridge, did not carry great amounts of water, so Mulege may have come out well.

MexicoTed - 9-7-2016 at 09:36 AM

Great photos Shari.

DK, can't get into the TalkBaja Facebook page, just goes to my page when I click on the link. Any ideas on how to join the group?

Here's a couple photos of Mulege in an article that just came out:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/estados/2016/09/7/newton-incomunica-poblados-de-bcs

David K - 9-7-2016 at 10:06 AM

Hi Ted, just go onto your Facebook page and type in Talk Baja in the Facebook search/browser.

Pescador - 9-7-2016 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MexicoTed  
Great photos Shari.

DK, can't get into the TalkBaja Facebook page, just goes to my page when I click on the link. Any ideas on how to join the group?

Here's a couple photos of Mulege in an article that just came out:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/estados/2016/09/7/newton-incomunica-poblados-de-bcs

I think those photos are from a posting and at least two of them are from San Ignacio. The pictures and videos I have seen of the river did not look as bad as normal. Alejandro Buckovecs posted pictures of El Oasis RV park this morning and it looks nothing like they did from Odile. No word from anyone if they think the diversion that the mine put in up in the mountains had any impact, but the river did not run as bad as the arroyo in Santa Rosalia.

Gulliver - 9-7-2016 at 10:18 AM

The road under the Mulege highway bridge bit it (again).
https://www.facebook.com/raffita.romero?fref=ts

EngineerMike - 9-7-2016 at 11:20 AM

Just in info from Mulege: power is out around town, cell phone service is up, just talked to Bill Havig w/report from Sergio Santos.

Havig's in the Oasis just upstream from the Jungle- no water in the house but it came up maybe a foot on their steps, so there there was water in the Jungle.
Fleming's #56 had a foot+ in the house, water not that muddy, Ron Brandt coupla doors upstream had <4ft in the garage.

By interpolation that means maybe 5-8 ft in houses at the Orchard depending on location, had to be water up into La Fortuna, no word on Saul's store (he's in La Paz). The concrete "Maelcon" on north river road is intact.

Per govt release: two wash outs on road between Loreto & Mulege, one between Sta.Rosalia and Guerrero Negro.

mtnpop - 9-7-2016 at 02:04 PM

Just got off the phone with one of our workers in the Orchard..
Told me that tonart's old place had about 2' of water above the floor looks like..
I have some pictures sent by folks at the town end of the Orchard and it does not look as bad as the last couple of floods... don't think any structure damage or if any it's very little..
wish I could post the pics but can't get there with these yet
looks like the streets got moved some...
if you want to see pics send me an email to fwd to...

fishnbaja1 - 9-7-2016 at 02:44 PM

Just a clarification:

The Orchard didn't get 5-8 feet of water. Water got inside a few of the homes, and when it did, it was only about 1 inch. This from pictures and verbal communication from friends in the scene.

Thanks.

Pescador - 9-7-2016 at 03:09 PM

Alejandro Bucovecz posted great pics from Oasis and Orchard. The water was a lot lower than Hurricane Odile, and most of the homes had little if any damage. No water lines up on the sides of the buildings.
I copied all of the pics I found today on my Facebook page for Jim Anderson.

Gulliver - 9-7-2016 at 03:45 PM

What? You mean I don't get to rebuild my ceiling fans again?

I guess the season is just getting started so I can still spend time looking at the satellite pics.

This IS the year that I bring down about a peck of outlets and switches. Some of this stuff has been through six storms and the lights sometime come on and off at unexpected times.

I wish the mud that comes in each time was better for the yard plants. Somehow it gets polluted with some salt.

Now to get Casa Hogar all cleaned up and going.

Life in Floodlandia.

mtgoat666 - 9-7-2016 at 06:57 PM

I hear the hurricane flooded the salt/mud flats and cut off san ignacio lagoon area.

Zola - 9-7-2016 at 10:30 PM

You heard correctly! I saw a photo today of the dirt road to the Laguna after you have reached the end of the pavement. At a certain point, well before you can even see the usual laguna, the road ended and gave way to what looked like a huge estuary or inlet. It is competely flooded and undrivable back there at the moment. Also, the road from San Juanico is Cuidad de las Insurgentes is impassable, but everything should dry out in a few days.

[Edited on 9-8-2016 by Zola]

tiotomasbcs - 9-8-2016 at 06:56 AM

Newton was a Cat 1 arriving here in Pescadero off the Pacific. Very strong wind gusts and heavy bands of rain ! Prolly 80/90 mph. Hijole! front side lasted 4/5 hrs and then power went out and the calm of the eye. Back side of storm was even stronger. My Palms and Cocos took a beating but nothing down. Lots of shredded foliage and branches. Palapas combed back up. No Odile but quite a long, rough night! More reports later . Power back on yesterday pm and this morning Internet and phone service up! Funny, TV and Weather Channel working thru the whole storm w/generator. Can't imagine a bigger storm. Tomas

shari - 9-8-2016 at 10:33 AM

thank you for the reports...glad you survived it intact Tio....let's hope that was this season's biggy...but we still have a month to go...bring some organic veggies if there are any left there porfa!

Any other road reports today? Is the highway open between GN & Sta.Rosalia yet? How did the yurts do in SA?

Juanita - 9-8-2016 at 02:44 PM

In San Ignacio pueblo the flood was a little less high than the great crecientes of 2014 and 2009, but still higher than the floods before 2009, however the water subsided very quickly. The entry road was cut again at Manual Pilar's camp, Los Petates, but the gap has been filled with rock and we can now drive in and out in normal cars, with only about 8 inches of flow continuing across the road at the lake. The old town got power back Thursday morning (today); the other areas north of the lake already had power. The town water pump is still out and a few of the new street lights fell where the flow was strong. I drove out once today and saw Terry and Gary Marcer driving into town in their pickup, but haven't had a chance to talk to them. That last arroyo which smacks Ignacio Springs from the north side, Arroyo San Atanacio, did not run, so at least they were spared that much water.

David K - 9-8-2016 at 02:47 PM

Thank you Juanita!
Is the La Huerta motel okay?

bajalinda - 9-8-2016 at 02:59 PM

Thanks Juanita and great to hear from you! And glad to hear that people in San Ignacio are doing OK. Our experience here at La Aguja was much the same as tiotomas in El Pescadero. We were kind of surprised that the back side of the storm was so much stronger than the front, but it sure was! Damage is mostly snapped tree branches and repairing a couple of spots in the road.

EngineerMike - 9-8-2016 at 03:24 PM

Photos came in from my house, #56 Oasis, Mulege, 2ft in the house which is great (never thought I'd be saying something stupid like that and meaning it). Mostly a mop up.
Yard is somewhat shredded, scoured out around the top of septic tank, stuff like that. Looks like there may have been a measurable amount of overland flow from the immediate hills around Mulege as well as in the river from up in the valley. Just another day in Paradise.
Whew!! Coulda been worse.

Bob and Susan - 9-9-2016 at 01:20 PM

mulege looks pretty good now...

electricity in most places

the are repairing water lines near the river

water pump is working

trucks are moving from the south and the north
roads are open

fresh milk in town

Juanita - 9-10-2016 at 05:52 PM

David, the La Huerta store and hotel are fine, I think. The flood water doesn't come up into town, though close enough. We only have to walk a few paces down the sidewalk to watch the flood go by. The store was scrambling, though, while the electricity was out, to clean out the refrigerators. Fun shopping in the dark. Linda, good to hear from you. I planted a Neem tree in the mission gardens after our visit with you and it is now twenty feet high and looking very nice.
 Pages:  1  2