BajaNomad

Punta Chivato after Newton

Russ - 9-7-2016 at 06:55 AM

Good Morning all. It's gonna be a busy day and as I get info and Photos I'll try to post them here. Basically I have only noticed that things are wet and no wind damage but I haven't been away from my home yet but will in a short while. I'm trying to work with photobucket but it is not working as it normally does and either is exceptionally slow or just cancels the upload.

David K - 9-7-2016 at 06:58 AM

Thanks Russ!

Russ - 9-7-2016 at 07:03 AM

Still no photos, damn photobucket.
Here is an update on Hotelito fro Joe D
"The partner of Gene Layton who has the trailer to the east of the boat ramp ( I believe his name is Steel ) Has or had owned a restaurant in Huntington Beach has bought the holitela  and restaurant. I have heard from ( Ken Wright ) that the new owner intends to add a solar system with battery storage for the ability to have a longer open season. I think the opening sometime in October. I also heard the Victor may be retained as a cook? "

Russ - 9-7-2016 at 07:28 AM

Got one uploaded:

Meany - 9-7-2016 at 07:37 AM

Thanks Russ. The beach looks sweep clean.

Casapila - 9-7-2016 at 08:16 AM

Any news on the road at the estuary?

Russ - 9-7-2016 at 09:27 AM

I just got back from a ride to fish camp. Checked around all the homes and as luck has it there is NO obvious damage. No roof tiles missing! No windows blown in/out. The beach is really beautiful and very clean. I noticed when I returned the water is really dirty now. Probable from Mulege. But I don't see the junk floating around like usual. Hope that means they weathered the storm well. There is some erosion in the usual places and some front yards got flooded but not nearly as much as any other big storm.
I'm sure the road is not passable at this point. I'll make it out there this afternoon. Hopefully the water is down and repairs will be easy.

BigBearRider - 9-7-2016 at 09:43 AM

Thanks for the updates, Russ. Good to hear there is no apparent damage. Let's hope Mulege did well, too.

Thanks also for the info on Hotelito. It would be wonderful to get a longer season from the restaurant.

[Edit to correct typo]

[Edited on 9-7-2016 by BigBearRider]

Meany - 9-7-2016 at 09:44 AM

Thanks for the up date Russ.

Russ - 9-7-2016 at 11:16 AM

BigBearRider, checked your place. Looks really clean.
Just got a Chivato road report from Mike. He drove out to check the estuary and had to stop in the muck 1/4 mile from it. Not close enough to see the estuary today.Maybe with a few days of drying Gorge will be able to get equipment in. Remember the last three times he got his equipment stuck. So be patient and he'll get her done. I'll try to post photo update for the next few days anyway. Mike's report from Chivato is that only one home had water inside, Powell's, he said it should be dry by days end. Also mentioned was that the taxi way at Flicks and also the other end where it always washes out are in bad shape. Other than that folks we dodged the big one! Hope Mulege fared as well.

[Edited on 9-7-2016 by Russ]

BajaMama - 9-7-2016 at 12:44 PM

Thank you so much for the update, and for going all the way to fish camp! Glad things are okay in PC, hope Mulege and Santa Rosalia weathered okay - I did see some flooding video in Santa Rosalia on the TalkBaja.

BigBearRider - 9-7-2016 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
BigBearRider, checked your place. Looks really clean.
Just got a Chivato road report from Mike. He drove out to check the estuary and had to stop in the muck 1/4 mile from it. Not close enough to see the estuary today.Maybe with a few days of drying Gorge will be able to get equipment in. Remember the last three times he got his equipment stuck. So be patient and he'll get her done. I'll try to post photo update for the next few days anyway. Mike's report from Chivato is that only one home had water inside, Powell's, he said it should be dry by days end. Also mentioned was that the taxi way at Flicks and also the other end where it always washes out are in bad shape. Other than that folks we dodged the big one! Hope Mulege fared as well.

[Edited on 9-7-2016 by Russ]

Thank you, Russ. I hope that Mulege did as well as you can wish for.

Casapila - 9-7-2016 at 01:54 PM

Thanks for checking on everything for all of us.

Clouseaus - 9-7-2016 at 04:26 PM

Sounds like decent news. Thanks Russ.

Bajahowodd - 9-7-2016 at 04:41 PM

I read that Medano Beach in Cabo was washed away. Haven't seen any photos, but this is an area that is in the lee of Lands End. Seems to me that this would be the last place to be devastated by a hurricane, unless it had an usual trajectory. We've been in Cabo a number of times during hurricanes, and seen little to no damage to that beach.

Russ - 9-7-2016 at 04:54 PM

Bajahowodd, not sure you posted in the correct forum to get an answer to you Cabo area question but strange things happen Nomads. Good luck.

willardguy - 9-7-2016 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
I read that Medano Beach in Cabo was washed away. Haven't seen any photos, but this is an area that is in the lee of Lands End. Seems to me that this would be the last place to be devastated by a hurricane, unless it had an usual trajectory. We've been in Cabo a number of times during hurricanes, and seen little to no damage to that beach.

wrong, after over 25 years of yearly stays at the Melia on Medano beach i've seen that poor place taken a beating. did you see it after Odile?:O

BajaBlanca - 9-7-2016 at 08:31 PM

Great that nothing too serious happened in PC!

jkruk - 9-8-2016 at 06:03 AM

Russ ,
Worth a loaf of rye and chunk of good cheddar if you check my home as well . Last one. Jim

Russ - 9-8-2016 at 06:19 AM

Not too much of a sun rise this morning but I found it interesting that the berm out front has already built up an we have some pools behind the again.

Clouseaus - 9-8-2016 at 07:10 AM

Nature doesn't wait for us.

BigBearRider - 9-8-2016 at 07:32 AM

Not too much of a sun rise this morning but I found it interesting that the berm out front has already built up an we have some pools behind the again.

Are you saying there was some beach erosion?

Russ - 9-8-2016 at 11:16 AM

Erosion, No but the high tide berm was flattened out. Not now the high tide and large waves built it back up yesterday.
Went out towards the estuary the road is still not passable....but... I spoke to a work crew that walked in from the other side. The contractor said he thought he'd be able to drive in tomorrow. Felix the laborer also walked most of the way in (gave him a ride) He said that Palo Verde had no water or power and also that our man with the heavy equipment would start working on the road tomorrow. Ruben also said Gorge would start tomorrow. Ruben said that the road from Palo Verde was passable to the estuary and that there wasn't too much work to be done to get thru that there. Where I got bogged down was really thick mud as far as I could see. Nice day here and not as hot as normal. More later....

Meany - 9-8-2016 at 12:05 PM

Nice shots. Glad to see your out and about. Hope your well stocked up with your favorites:big grin: Happy to here the weather is good. Any Bugs yet???

Russ - 9-8-2016 at 03:10 PM

There are swarms of bugs out on the roads but here with no standing water here only a few....so far.

BigBearRider - 9-8-2016 at 03:39 PM

Erosion, No but the high tide berm was flattened out. Not now the high tide and large waves built it back up yesterday.
Went out towards the estuary the road is still not passable....but... I spoke to a work crew that walked in from the other side. The contractor said he thought he'd be able to drive in tomorrow. Felix the laborer also walked most of the way in (gave him a ride) He said that Palo Verde had no water or power and also that our man with the heavy equipment would start working on the road tomorrow. Ruben also said Gorge would start tomorrow. Ruben said that the road from Palo Verde was passable to the estuary and that there wasn't too much work to be done to get thru that there. Where I got bogged down was really thick mud as far as I could see. Nice day here and not as hot as normal. More later....

Thanks, Russ. That is a long way to walk from Palo Verde... It sounds like things will be back to normal in a few days though.

Russ - 9-8-2016 at 04:11 PM

They're not walking in from Palo Verde. They drive to the estuary then cross on foot and walk in from there.

BigBearRider - 9-8-2016 at 04:20 PM

Still a pretty long walk. Ruben told me that a long time ago, before cell phones, after a long day of work in Punta Chivato his car wouldn't start. He had to walk to Palo Verde. I think it took him most of the night.

BornFisher - 9-8-2016 at 04:21 PM

Russ- how much total rain did you get? Thanks

Russ - 9-8-2016 at 06:34 PM

My gauge only showed 6" but I believe it was closer to 10" here. Max wind gust showed 52mph and I believe it was also a bit higher. No one lost any solar panels and only a few pieces of roof tile have showed up.

Russ - 9-8-2016 at 07:10 PM

Orlando just stopped by on a newer Polaris 850 quad. He came in on the road. Said, I think, that the only bad spot was after the estuary. That’s the muddy area I talked about earlier.
edit: He also said Gorge tried to do some work but it's still too muddy to work and he got stuck but able to get his equipment out. Maybe a couple days before he trys again.

[Edited on 9-9-2016 by Russ]

BigBearRider - 9-8-2016 at 07:14 PM

[I was typing when Russ was editing and answered my question.]

I want to find a pic of the white truck that got stuck last year.

[Edited on 9-9-2016 by BigBearRider]

Meany - 9-8-2016 at 07:17 PM

Well Thats good news. With the north wind it might dry up fast. :bounce:

Russ - 9-9-2016 at 08:25 AM

Mike just gave me a report that a couple of locals and 4x4's have made it in blazing a track around the mud. Gorge is working with his equipment. But is still a muddy mess.

Newton on Newton

grapenut1956 - 9-9-2016 at 09:43 AM

Thanks for all the info Russ! :) Linda Newton

Russ - 9-9-2016 at 10:32 AM

El Newton was kind to your house too.

BajaGlenn - 9-9-2016 at 12:21 PM

Was the storm named for you Linda??????:biggrin:

Bob and Susan - 9-9-2016 at 01:18 PM

todays pictures of the chivito road

https://www.facebook.com/bernardo.tobamoreno/videos/54221522...

BigBearRider - 9-9-2016 at 01:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
todays pictures of the chivito road

https://www.facebook.com/bernardo.tobamoreno/videos/54221522...

That's got to be the detour.

I assume the light house resort fared well?

Russ - 9-9-2016 at 01:48 PM

Bob & Susan, Good find! yep, that's the trail around the muddy area. I wish it ran a little longer though.

Bajahowodd - 9-9-2016 at 03:37 PM

Bajahowodd, not sure you posted in the correct forum to get an answer to you Cabo area question but strange things happen Nomads. Good luck.

Wrong forum? As far as I know this was the general Baja discussion forum. What forum would you suggest I post on??

BigBearRider - 9-9-2016 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

Wrong forum? As far as I know this was the general Baja discussion forum. What forum would you suggest I post on??

I suspect he meant "thread" as this one is about Punta Chivato?

Russ - 9-9-2016 at 04:24 PM

Bajahowodd, I was trying to be helpful. You've been around a Looong time I thought you could see that and understand. Of course you may post on any thread you like at any time.

carlosg - 9-9-2016 at 07:32 PM

Bajahowodd, I was trying to be helpful. You've been around a Looong time I thought you could see that and understand. Of course you may post on any thread you like at any time.

THANKS to both of you for ALL your GREAT contributions... thanks for ALWAYS being the ONE out in PC Russ.... specially with the morning shots!!!!.... muchas gracias a los dos....!!!!

[Edited on 9-10-2016 by carlosg]

Russ - 9-11-2016 at 06:17 AM

I have a little more info this morning. As of Saturday: I'm told that 3 suburban type vehicles came in with official of some sort regarding our road. They came thru the muddy area I said was too muddy. Which means you don't have to used the trail blazed by the locals. The estuary area is still hazardous and should only be attempted by 4x4 and those with cajones and experience. The heavy equipment I thought would be working here is being used to work on Hwy 1 the main priority. But hopefully will be available soon for us. Someone I didn't recognize just walk by on the beach so some are making it in.
Sunrise today

Credit to the Luhans for getting the officials to respond. I'm sure they are making efforts to repair our water system also. Thank You

[Edited on 9-11-2016 by Russ]

BigBearRider - 9-11-2016 at 06:42 AM

Are you saying the water is out, Russ?

Russ - 9-11-2016 at 07:08 AM

Yes, the line/road is in bad shape and will take some time to repair. Another reason not to hurry down.

Clouseaus - 9-11-2016 at 07:18 AM

Thanks Russ.

Meany - 9-11-2016 at 07:39 AM

Thanks for the up date Russ. Sunrise looks peaceful.

chivatojoe - 9-11-2016 at 11:24 AM

OK here it is. We drove down Saturday towing a razor side by side. Left truck and trailer at titos. The road in is the worst I've ever seen it's going to take more than a guy on a loader to get it back. only the brave of heart or of great need would drive it. The Governor of Baja Sur flew into Chivato runway and then drove out to survey the damage at Santa Rosalia. I would say it's finally time to abandon this road and petition funds for the new /old road way in.Santa Rosalia / San Bruno as some old timers have said worst flooring they have ever seen.If Russ can post pictures forwarded by Jerri the devastation in SRL is amazing..Main water line into town broken in multiple places. Amazingly very little casa damage.. So far just a little roof leaking and sand accumulation.
I'll post again when road is passable without question. I'm sure energies are needed in more pressing problems...

BajaMama - 9-11-2016 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

That was my father in law's truck - I thing he would prefer not to show the pic with him in it, he lost his shorts saving his dog! Poor guy that really shook him up.

BigBearRider - 9-11-2016 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

That was my father in law's truck - I thing he would prefer not to show the pic with him in it, he lost his shorts saving his dog! Poor guy that really shook him up.

I'm sorry to hear that. I can only imagine how stressful that must have been. I only saw the pic of the truck.

Russ - 9-12-2016 at 08:43 AM

I hope to go to Mulege tomorrow. Things are drying out nicely now.
Hot this morning

chivatojoe - 9-12-2016 at 12:46 PM

Just got back from a run to Palo Verde. I was going to meet Hugo the Internet man from mulege to give him a ride in to fix my exceed service. He passed me on the way in and just used his 2 wheel drive. He said bad but he has seen worst. So for all but the most urban I'd say the road is passable with care and intelligent driving.
As for the exceed Internet users you may all want to get together for a big yday service call..I didn't remove my dish before the storm and the wind blew so hard it loosened all the bolts. All fixed now :bounce: Still warm and humid but water clearing up and no bugs. Gorge busy up in mountains trying to get access for the ranchers with loader and road grader. Chivato maybe tomorrow...

Russ - 9-13-2016 at 04:21 AM

Thankx Joe.:D

Russ - 9-13-2016 at 11:31 AM

If you don't need to come ... don't. There is no water available and the line was heavily damaged. The storm season isn't over yet folks. That being said: I went into Mulege and the town, main streets, are clean and businesses seem to be running normally. Lots of delivery trucks and the few markets I went to are well stocked already. Our road is passable but very rough in places. Two drive made it with spinning once. The Palo Verde road is okay except for a couple washouts in the larger arroyos that have been worked on. The estuary on the West side is where the road needs a whole lot of work. Some of the washouts are steep and I wouldn't bring in a trailer until it gets worked on. That also means the propane truck or the water truck would have a difficult time getting thru in places. Sorry only a couple photos, Photos Photo bucket is really bad. Here's a couple that uploaded. These really don't show how bad it is.
detour around a bad spot

Chivato side of the estuary the washouts are further on.

[Edited on 9-13-2016 by Russ]

Royosbaja - 9-13-2016 at 12:00 PM

Russ,

Thank you so much for the continued updates. It is very reassuring having you there.

Meany - 9-13-2016 at 07:27 PM

Thanks Russ for the last great shots. Looks like things are getting back to normal. :bounce::biggrin:

BigBearRider - 9-13-2016 at 08:56 PM

Russ, any sense for whether the water should be back by October 1st?

Russ - 9-14-2016 at 05:34 AM

No idea. I will ask.

Russ - 9-17-2016 at 07:52 PM

I'm sorry for the lack of information about the water.
Good news all my worries about the water system were totally misleading.They were pumping water last Thurs. and will pump again this Wed. or Thu. I was reporting on old info I received and didn't have a source for currant update. There still hasn't been any road work done in the last 5 days. The road is passable but each day the wash board is worse. Very slow even in the good areas. I made two trips to Santa Rosalia to day and the highway is good for the most part. Maybe 5 places where they made repairs and there is rough dirt.
More good news.... I spoke with the new owner of Los Chibatos his plan is to open up Oct 15. Victor will manage the restaurant and they bring in a cook. Victor will also be the bartender.

BigBearRider - 9-17-2016 at 08:51 PM

Great news, Russ! About the water, and the restaurant. I will miss the opening this time, but will enjoy it soon enough again.

Meany - 9-18-2016 at 08:15 AM

Thanks Russ for the up date. Good to here that the Los Chibatos will be open soon. Happy Days In Chivato:bounce::bounce::bounce:

BajaMama - 9-19-2016 at 06:38 PM

Yay I will be there for the Los Chibatos opening. In PC I assume... is that the Hotel Lito (?sp) restaurant?

BigBearRider - 9-19-2016 at 06:51 PM

You are correct, BajaMama.

And it's "El Hotelito" - the little hotel.

Speaking of "Los Chibatos," is that proper Spanish? Or should it be Los Chivatos? The letters "b" and "v" are very close in pronunciation in Spanish, and I sometimes see confusion.

[Edited on 9-20-2016 by BigBearRider]

[Edited on 9-20-2016 by BigBearRider]

[Edited on 11-19-2016 by BigBearRider]