BajaNomad

camping in an rv at tecolote in la paz

bajasusana - 9-10-2016 at 09:05 AM

considering living in my everything-i-need-but-a-bathroom-and-wifi small rv in la paz for a few months and am wondering if folks still do that at tecolote? the only actual rv parks i know of in la paz are prohibitively expensive for me.

weebray - 9-10-2016 at 09:31 AM

They rounded up all the wild dogs. Everything is as it was years ago. No one has figgered out how to charge for camping on the beach - yet.

bajasusana - 9-10-2016 at 09:45 AM

GREAT! Looks like I'd better take advantage of that swell spot while I still can! Me and the RV aren't gonna hold out that much longer, anyways.

AKgringo - 9-10-2016 at 10:13 AM

Have you ever stayed at Campestre Maranatha just west of La Paz? Since you are not using RV hook ups, car camping there is very reasonable. Weekly, or monthly rates are best, and the people there are great!

It is not on a beach, but would be a great place to catch up on laundry, showers, WIFI and great coffee and pastry!

bajasusana - 9-10-2016 at 01:13 PM

looks like a wonderful spot, but the site i found doesn't say anything about being available for individual campers...?

gnukid - 9-10-2016 at 01:19 PM

Tecolote is an option among many others for free camping, go and check it out, but it is supposedly haunted by spirits...

bajasusana - 9-10-2016 at 01:58 PM

i have nothing against spirits...no longer use the liquid kind, but relate well to most other kinds

Elena La Loca - 9-10-2016 at 02:37 PM

What about AquaMarina RV park?

bajasusana - 9-10-2016 at 03:34 PM

think you may have missed my original post that speaks of not being able to afford any of the "usual" la paz rv parks

mojo_norte - 9-10-2016 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Tecolote is an option among many others for free camping, go and check it out, but it is supposedly haunted by spirits...

any stories (ghost) to share ?

Howard - 9-10-2016 at 04:49 PM

Camped there in my RV years ago so I can't help you with todays information.

The 2 things that really stand out from camping there was incredible views and it could get very windy. Does anyone know if they ever cleaned up all the broken glass that was everywhere on the beach? A small price to pay for a world class view.

bajasusana - 9-11-2016 at 07:21 AM

you folks are so cool -- knowledgable and open to adventure! why else to be in the Baja, right? so, yes, my 8+ years here have been oriented toward living within sight/sound of the surf! anyway, plan to be in la paz about oct. 9 and thus reunited with my rv (long story)...

AKgringo - 9-11-2016 at 08:00 AM

Bajasusana, unless you are flying into La Paz, you will drive right past Campestre Maranatha around km 11, just east of El Centenario.

Café Exquisite is a coffee shop/bakery right at the entrance to the camp. It is run By Jose and Cindy's daughter, and is close to the office. You might as well stop and check out the options there, and it is a good source of local information.

The camp caters to a lot of group functions, but they have a few rooms available, and as of Nov of 2014, all sorts of campers were welcome. I have used the camp as a base of operations for wandering around Baja Sur.

I had not planned of making it that far south this year, but I just broke an older crown, and have a great dentist there. If I don't have it repaired further north, I will be in your area by the end of October.

If you don't mind a large, overly friendly dog in a small 4x4, I would be glad to show you a few places that you may be able to get your rig into. My plans are still in the 'if stage' but I will stay in touch if you are interested.

The camp phone number is; (612) 124 62 75. I can U2U an e-mail address if you need it

bajasusana - 9-11-2016 at 12:26 PM

THANKS--please do send an email, for both you and the camp if possible. I will be arriving on October 9 but not planning on being in the RV for at least a day or two after that.

pacificobob - 9-13-2016 at 07:51 AM

i find that El Centenario smells like a brothel at low tide.

AKgringo - 9-13-2016 at 08:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

You need to find a better brothel! I agree that that end of the bay can stink at low tide, but that has nothing to do with anything else in this thread.

Udo - 9-13-2016 at 09:06 AM

Hola bajasusana...

I found a Facebook page for CLUB DE PLAYA EL TECOLOTE

It shows the beach, vehicles in the parking lot and the surrounding area.

I would put up the link, but have no idea how.

bajasusana - 9-13-2016 at 11:53 AM

Yo Udo, y mil gracias! I was able to find only 1 current facebook post about tecolote--a superduper cleanup some young people did in august. also some 3-year-old fotos of folks at the big restaurant. if my friend the mechanic from bahia asuncion can get my rv in the hands of my mechanic in la paz (manny--the best!) before i fly in on the 9th of october, my idea is to go to the beach and take my chances for at least a few nights.

mojo_norte - 9-13-2016 at 12:43 PM

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150771-d11728...

bajasusana - 9-13-2016 at 01:19 PM

thanks so much for the link. with all this encouragement, i can hardly wait to get there and ON THE BEACH AGAIN. (spent 5 years in la paz 2 blocks from the stella's end of the malecon, then 3 more years living on the beach in both apartments and my RV. will be good to get back to infrastructure, as the last few months have been me and the RV in bahia asuncion)

weebray - 9-13-2016 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

You need to find a better brothel! I agree that that end of the bay can stink at low tide, but that has nothing to do with anything else in this thread.

Actually almost any brothel anywhere smells better than the bay there at low tide. This has nothing to do with the thread either unless you decide you want to camp/live there. Tecolote is an excellent choice and is open, free and beautiful. It has great access to frolic and dive in the water too. In the winter you will be likely to experience several "wind events" (strong north winds lasting from a couple of days to several). This is normal and effects all of Baja Sur when it comes.

[Edited on 9-13-2016 by weebray]

Tecolote

frizkie - 9-13-2016 at 09:43 PM

Teocolote is an awesome place to camp. Number one it is free. Had great restaurants close by. Lots of cool peeps camping there. However the wind can be a problem and very tiring at times. The beach may be quite deserted in October re campers but by the end of November it's picking up. Elena should be there with her fifth wheel and John (wheelchair) should be there maybe first week in November....People don't often go there before hurricane season is over Which is a very good plan but if you need to be there at that time I guess you're ready for that kind of weather. Myself I don't even think about driving down until the end of October and I've done this for lots of years. I have spend a lot of time at Tecolote over the years Two things to be concerned about these days Theft (don't leave anything outside your camper that you're not willing to part with and be ready for wind...maybe not so much in October though. Be careful if there has been rain about getting into the camping area (best on right as you come to end of road) better to drive along the beach road just above where the palapas are good luck !! Might see you there first week of November!!

daveB - 9-13-2016 at 11:35 PM

Camped there once, we were in a tent. By morning the small tent was half covered with sand. I think it was pretty much just a steady wind, nothing really harsh, as the tent might have let go it's anchors otherwise. This was 1999 - so, ancient history now. The water there was very beautiful, and I'm sure will be the same now. Nice to see frizkie here again, she has a lot of answers regarding Baja Sur.

bajasusana - 9-14-2016 at 04:45 AM

thanks for the wind advisory, frizkie, and the parking advice. i had to be hauled out of an unexpected trench of mud at tecolote a couple years ago. i will plan to be with friends in town if the weather is at all risky. and while not fond of wind that goes on for days, i have experienced same in Asuncion and feel like it would be most ungrateful of me to complain that life at the beach is not perfect! it's as close as I need this side of Espiritu Santo, where my soul is going to camp once my body bites the dust.

weebray - 9-14-2016 at 12:09 PM

One additional note: HAD is the operative word for restaurants there. It is very hit and miss there now. As with most places in Baja California cooks there have no idea how to cook fish.

bajasusana - 9-19-2016 at 09:11 AM

Well, just decided NOT to attempt Tecolote as my first place to camp when I hit La Paz, cuz I really do want more infrastructure, at least to begin with. So, I will find a furnished studio or an inexpensive RV campground. Can't wait to get home to the Baja after weeks in the USA!