BajaNomad

TRIP REPORT: The Baja Extreme 2016. (11 days, 4 Toyotas, 1,700 miles)

Pages:  1  

David K - 9-20-2016 at 06:12 PM

Hello Amigos,

This will be a few days and several posts to complete, so be patient. I have over 400 photos to try and pick a few out of to give you all a taste of what I saw!

In addition, most of the other 7 members of The Baja Extreme also took photos and videos, so as they get theirs uploaded, I will be adding much better pictures than what I have taken (I am sure)!

I will try to post the trip by the day, as each day was a fun filled adventure and that will help to add more photos for those days by others... I am thinking that will keep the trip report organized so that any of you can follow along ion person or on that Baja wall map you have.

The four wheel drive vehicles and members of The Baja Extreme:

Toyota Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD: David and Pat
Toyota Land Cruiser Wagon: Jesse and Marland
Toyota 4Runner: Christine and Nick
Toyota FJ Cruiser: Ham and Jerry

Photo from Shari at Bahia Asuncion

Our nights from Friday Sept. 9th to Sunday Sept. 18th:
9th) Shell Island (near Laguna Percebu)
10th) Mission San Borja
11th) Camp Archelon, L.A. Bay
12th) La Huerta Motel, San Ignacio
13th) Concepcion Peninsula
14th) La Perla, Bahia Concepcion
15th & 16th) Shari's La Bufadora Inn, Bahia Asuncion
17th) Las Pintas (7 miles off Punta San Carlos road, 17 miles from Mex 1)
18th) Ron's Abalone Farm, near San Quintin

The plan...

I named it The Baja Extreme for very good reason... it was extremely fun, tough, tasty (Jesse is an executive chef at a hotel), and entertaining for us all.

I had been contacted by Pat (who met me at my book PowerPoint lecture for Discover Baja Travel Club in July) to take him to see missions and rock art sites, that the others wanted to see on their 11 day Baja expedition (most had never been to Baja before).

Anyway, they liked my suggestions which incorporated 2 key things Chef Jesse wanted to do: Drive to the end of the Concepcion Peninsula and go to as many seafood sources as possible so he could work his magic with prepping meals for us! That meant (to me) taking them to Bahia Asuncion, La Lobera, and Ron's (Baja Gringo) oyster farm at San Quintin Bay. Jesse had begun Facebook chatting with Ron and Shari, so all was in play.

We had really too much Baja and almost not enough time ("so much Baja, so little time") to get all this done! They were all full of energy and didn't mind the schedule, which we were able to follow almost without altering...

Here was what I designed (I will detail what changed in the forthcoming trip report):

This plan is just a suggested guide. Conditions and personal input can and will change what we do. Hurricanes or tropical rains (Chubascos) may very well keep us off the Concepcion Peninsula. Some places may beg us to stay longer just as likely as some will chase us away. It wouldn't be an adventure if everything went 'by the book'!

Sept. 9 Friday (300 miles from Escondido):

To Shell Island via Mexicali. 150 miles from the border. Quick look at San Felipe.

You guys very well may like Shell Island so much, you will want to stay a full day here and practice you deep sand driving too. Knock off the free day at L.A. Bay if we stay. There is no place else like this! But, if we leave the next morning...

Sept. 10 Saturday (190-240 miles, 75-100 dirt):

To Gonzaga Bay (quick look at the bay), Coco's Corner, Calamajué Mission, Montevideo Painted Cliff, San Borja Mission. Maybe camp at San Borja or Montevideo, if late. On to L.A. Bay, if early enough (4-5 pm or sooner).

Sept. 11 Sunday Free Day (0-50 miles, mostly dirt):

Explore L.A. Bay (Bahia de los Angeles) or relax. Many sites like La Gringa, El Toro, Las Flores, and a great little museum should not be missed, either!

Sept. 12 Monday (190 miles +?, 140+ miles are dirt):

Big dirt driving day, all but about 50 miles. Possible sites: Las Animas, San Rafael, Giant Painted Cave, Pozo Aleman ghost town, Mission Santa Gertrudis?, Mission San Ignacio. I think a motel night in San Ignacio (La Huerta) would be appreciated, but camping is available too. If early (3 pm), Mulegé is about 2 hours away.

Sept. 13 Tuesday (155 miles, 32 dirt):

Down the Tres Virgenes volcano to the Sea of Cortez we go. Santa Rosalia has the church designed by Eiffel himself. Mulege is the Hawaii of Baja. A quick look at the 1705 founded mission is in order and great photo spot you won't want to miss is behind the mission of the river and jungle below! On to Bahia Concepcion with its many beaches. Maybe a stop for a cheeseburger and beer at Mark and Olivia's Playa Buenaventura Bar? El Requeson and La Perla beach camps are just a mile south. Take a quick look or camp here? Otherwise... go to the end of the 25-mile- long bay and across to the other side, and 30 off road miles up to the point.

Sept. 14 Wednesday Free Day (0-10 miles dirt):

Fun and relax day on the bay. Side trip to the WWII manganese mine ruins, 5 miles away.

Sept. 15 Thursday (295 miles, 90 dirt):

Big day as we drive across Baja to the Pacific coast seeing Punta Abreojos, La Bocana, San Hipolito and end up at Bahia Asuncion. Shari is our host here at Campo Serina and La Bufadora Inn. Seafood capital of central Baja!

Sept. 16 Friday Free Day (0-20 dirt miles):

Fun day, fishing, swimming, surfing, diving, eating seafood, hunting for fossil sharks teeth, all at Bahia Asuncion!

Sept. 17 Saturday (355 miles, 25 dirt):

Big drive day to Guerrero Negro, Cataviña, Mission San Fernando, Las Pintas fossil grotto. Camp at Las Pintas or go on to Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario.

Sept. 18 Sunday (80 miles, 40 dirt):

If at Las Pintas, we go to El Rosario (can see one mission site, right off the highway, in town), get gas tanks filled up, go to La Lobera sea lion crater/ seafood growers, go to San Quintin and meet Ron of the oyster farm. Camp at small, beachside campground.

Sept. 19 Monday (200 miles):

San Quintin to Tecate Border, possible stops at missions, Ensenada, Guadalupe Valley wineries??? Or, we've done so much Baja in 11 days, we can save what we didn't see for next time! If we get to the border early in the afternoon, the wait may be less than a half hour... if later, over 2 hours possible, but usually not at Tecate.

FRIDAY SEPT. 9, 2016:
We met at the Calexico Pep Boys (Ken Cooke's Pole Line Road meeting spot) at 11 am.

Arrived in San Felipe a little after 2 pm (one stop in the desert to stretch our legs).

Filled the gas tanks and Jerry cans we brought.

Showed them the Malecon and we had tacos then searched for some seafood to cook later in the trip... found corvina for sale and Chef Jesse was stoked!

On to Shell Island, set up camp, and went swimming in the wonderfully warm sea.

For the first dinner, Chef had made Chile Verde... melt in your mouth tender!

=======================================================

SAT. SEPT. 10, 2016:
The air was so perfect, I didn't use my tent and had slept under the stars on my cot. The beach was so inviting but everyone was anxious to see more Baja, right away! More is exactly what they would get!

Once packed we did a cruise to the end of the island which is across the lagoon from Percebu.

I let Pat experience sand driving for the three miles south to where the road to Highway 5 meets the beach (at low tide). During the highest monthly tides, it will be underwater, as it really is an island!

Our camp is near the umbrella on this map.

Once the tires were aired back up (pressure dropped to 20 psi from 35, in my case, for sand driving) we head for the highway. Christine's 4Runner (with Nick driving) is on the section that is underwater at the highest tides (full and new moon).

Heading south, we pass Puertecitos on the highway and make a stop to see the Enchanted Islands at the Km. 99 viewpoint.

(this photo from 2 months earlier)

We arrive at Gonzaga Bay, top our gas tanks, go to the Rancho Grande market (I buy a hat), then drive to the shore of the bay for a quick look.

On south, the pavement still ends 20 1/2 kms. south of the gas station, but there is work on the road and unlike 2 months previous when I was here, you can now drive on one of the new bridges.

===========================================================

Parked next to a Hilux at Coco's:

Chef Jesse with Coco. He brought some gifts for the famous Coco.

Marland greets Coco.

Cameron and his Trail of Missions tour was here in June.

Coco makes a hanger to add a bottle of Born and Bred American Vodka to his ceiling. Born and Bred Vodka is being promoted by Marland for his Hollywood buddy Channing Tatum (they were both in the movie Magic Mike, 2012).

We leave Coco and head east for Calamajué mission, gold mill, and water run canyon...

Pat jogs ahead to get a video of the caravan of 4 Toyotas.

Arroyo Calamajué

Gold ore mill ruins.

Jesse, Christine and Nick

Coming down the grade to the arroyo.

Not much left of the mission church, here from October 16, 1766 to May of 1767 when the bad water of Calamajué forced the mission to move and be renamed Santa María de los Angeles.

A pretty side valley is passed going up the canyon.

Hitch hiker!

Dancing boojums!

We reached Hwy. 1 at El Crucero. The ranch that was just out of sight of the highway is gone, no more gate to open and close (as in 2012).

On the road to San Borja...

We tour the hot spring and water source for the mission orchard.

Dinner tonight was Corvina Gumbo. It was outstanding!!!

Facilities for camping at Mission San Borja are palapas, flush toilets, and showers! The bathrooms are located behind the palapas, facing the orchard (I didn't know they were there before José showed us). Camping fee was 50 pesos per person (under $3). The family of José will guide you to the hot springs and to the mission for a small gratuity. They are available for longer tours to rock art sites and even up to the San Juan mine if you give them some advance notice. José's son has email (I will add).

=========================================================

To be continued... Montevideo and Bahia de los Angeles next!

[Edited on 10-13-2016 by David K]

BornFisher - 9-20-2016 at 06:46 PM

Looking forward to an extremely fine report!! Thanks!!

BigBearRider - 9-20-2016 at 08:05 PM

More maps!

wessongroup - 9-20-2016 at 08:11 PM

Thanks ... looks like fun to me :):)

mtgoat666 - 9-20-2016 at 08:43 PM

I don't see any toys?
Ya should have taken mt bikes and boards or a yak or 3!

fishbuck - 9-20-2016 at 08:49 PM

Nice! It don't get no better.:D

Ateo - 9-21-2016 at 07:14 AM

This ought to be fun!

ADCELAND - 9-21-2016 at 10:21 AM

Wow....wonderfull trip...
Wonderfull FZJ....

StuckSucks - 9-21-2016 at 10:26 AM

Liked the Baja map with timeline along side - helpful to follow along.

Love the photos! You've mentioned video a couple times - will we see any of said video?

David K - 9-21-2016 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Liked the Baja map with timeline along side - helpful to follow along.

Love the photos! You've mentioned video a couple times - will we see any of said video?

There were 8 of us in 4 Toyotas.
Everyone took photos and some took videos. Ham (FJ Cruiser) had a really intense camera... and was filming constantly. I think the Baja that I took them to really blew them away for photo opportunities.

The sad part is that 11 days of filming will be edited down to just a few minutes of YouTube probably. We will see! Give them a week or two to start sharing. With it raining all day, I have no irrigation work calls, so I am able to begin posting my photos here. On Facebook, Marland has posted several photos and Christine posted a video of going along the Concepcion Peninsula trying to find what was left of the road following Hurricane Newton! It was maybe 11pm and these guys didn't give up until we came to a huge gully about 7-8 miles short of the goal, a white sand beach at the end of the road.

Here is Christine's Facebook video: https://www.facebook.com/cjpa13/videos/10209645450709356/

BajaGeoff - 9-21-2016 at 01:15 PM

Looks like you guys had a great time! I can't wait to see more!

David K - 9-21-2016 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  
Looks like you guys had a great time! I can't wait to see more!

Geoff, the trip could not have been better... the weather was perfect (no wind, storms, not too hot, just ideal), the locations were all in awe by everyone. Poncho at Bahia San Rafael blew away everyone with his sincere modesty, kindness, and attitude. Each day it just got better and better... Of course, nothing was 100% without incident... but in Baja, everything always works out!

Stay tuned, as you have only seen two days (of just my photos) of the 11 days, of The Baja Extreme!

Mission at Calamajué

Poncho's at Bahia San Rafael

[Edited on 9-21-2016 by David K]

DAY 3 of 11 (Sunday Sept. 11, 2016)

David K - 9-21-2016 at 01:56 PM

Mission San Borja, with the sun up...

Founded in 1762 by Jesuit missionaries at a hot spring called Adac by the natives, the only source of water to provide for a mission in the region. The stone church was constructed by the Dominicans who took over the mission program in 1773. The stone mission work ended in 1801, before a bell tower could be added. The number of Indians had dropped to so few that in 1818 the mission was closed. It remains open and repaired for the few area Mexican visitors and tourists who will drive the 22 mile dirt road to see this, the most northern of the Baja California stone missions. The Franciscan and Jesuit adobe ruins are behind the stone church, partially protected with an awning added 16 years ago.

Pat heading to the roof.

Where we camped.

Chef Jesse

José, our host at San Borja.

WE leave San Borja on a beautiful morning after a wonderful tour of the mission church. A full day (or more) could easily be spent at San Borja with such a wonderful family as guides. (Remind me to post the email address to contact them, if I forget)

Northbound, I am showing my passenger how smoothly the Tacoma glides over these roads, and pull over at a fork near Rancho Agua de Higuera (new ranch on the site) to wait for the others to catch up... when I back up closer to the fork I passed, it feels odd... I discover I have a flat, but only let air out when the tire was in one position (I filled it and it held, but when I rolled a few feet, the air whooshed out... a sidewall gash). On goes the spare to go to L.A. Bay.

First, we go the 6+ miles to see the painted cliff at Montevideo.

OK OK... Baja just keeps giving and giving... and the members of The Baja Extreme are again blown away by how much natural and man-made wonders are to be found on this magical peninsula!

On to Bahia de los Angeles...

[Edited on 9-22-2016 by David K]

fishbuck - 9-21-2016 at 02:34 PM

Must you torture me with such beautiful photos? But I kind a like it.:coolup:

TMW - 9-21-2016 at 03:27 PM

Excellent DK. Beautiful pictures and it looks like a lot of fun for all. Keep it coming.

David K - 9-21-2016 at 05:02 PM

I need to mention that around the campfire at San Borja we had one of the most fun times, for an hour we spoke no English in order to practice Spanish. Mind you, we were enjoying some fire water, so it was funny but amazing how good we communicated not being fluent, or even close!

JohnK - 9-21-2016 at 09:31 PM

Great report! Envious!

Ham's Two Vides of our trip...

David K - 9-21-2016 at 09:38 PM

Video includes:
San Felipe
Shell Island
Gonzaga Bay (Rancho Grande beach)
Coco's Corner
San Borja
L.A. Bay (Camp Archelon)
Arroyo Calamajué
Painted Cave (near El Arco)
Pozo Aleman
San Ignacio (Motel La Huerta)
Playa Buenaventura (Bahia Concepcion)
The Concepcion Peninsula
La Perla (Bahia Concepcion)
Arroyo Tres Marias (Concepcion Peninsula)
Bahia Asuncion (Independence Day street fiesta +)
Playa Loma surfing beach
Las Pinta Fossil Grotto (and pizza night)
La Lobera sea lion crater
Ron's Oyster Farm and my birthday cake surprise!

Ham's video of the missions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb6u8vpbriklc5x/missionsbaja.mov?d...

[Edited on 9-28-2016 by David K]

David K - 9-21-2016 at 09:42 PM

Yes, I had a flat tire on the drive out of San Borja... patched in L.A. Bay the next morning, and no other problems for my Tacoma than that.

More trip report coming, tomorrow!

mtgoat666 - 9-21-2016 at 09:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, I had a flat tire on the drive out of San Borja... patched in L.A. Bay the next morning, and no other problems for my Tacoma than

What tires you running? Should have been running BFGs!

David K - 9-21-2016 at 10:01 PM

Hankook Dynapro ATM, lowered to 25 psi, and a rock pierced it in the sidewall next to the tread. I was going way too fast, I suppose? The Tacoma just loves Baja's back country!

Ateo - 9-22-2016 at 07:36 AM

Thanks for posting that video too! Super fun.

David K - 9-22-2016 at 08:14 AM

You bet Jon... more trip report coming soon: L.A. Bay after Montevideo... then south to Poncho's and a whole lot more!

shari - 9-22-2016 at 09:43 AM

Wow Ham sure works fast! I LOVE the video...it really captured the essence of the peninsula and their adventure! It stars some legends and was nice for me to see some places & amigos I havent been in awhile.

I am really enjoying your trip report too David...great photos too and information of course.

David K - 9-22-2016 at 09:51 AM

The ride in back of your truck seems to have been a major highlight! It was fun following you guys and seeing Jerry laughing so much!

shari - 9-22-2016 at 10:22 AM

yes jerry will never forget her first drunk...nor will we!

StuckSucks - 9-22-2016 at 02:13 PM

I'm sitting in an office pounding on a keyboard MORE PHOTOS MORE PHOTOS!!

DAY 3-B: Bahia de los Angeles

David K - 9-22-2016 at 03:09 PM

Camp Archelon http://www.archeloncamp.com.mx/

China's (say: Chee-nah) Tacos and on Sunday: Birria!

For dinner, Chef Jesse makes chicken and waffles (pancakes, actually) and it was incredible how well the chicken cooked fresh in camp (tender, juicy) and with jalapeño-maple syrup... really amazing talent!

We had a great night, no bugs, and Archelon palapas each come with a pair of large canvas cots to sleep under the stars or in a palapa. The rate was 100 pesos per person ($5.62 at the rate we got pesos for). They have flush toilets and showers. I would definitely come here to camp again... and it has a sand beach, too!
==============================================================================

DAY 4 MONDAY SEPT. 12, 2016:

David K - 9-22-2016 at 03:24 PM

It is about 8 am and I go to the tire shop across from the Xitlali market (near the end of pavement, where the dirt road to Punta San Francisquito turns left. My tire is fixable! I feared it was a goner, but I guess it was close enough to the tread section, the answer was "No problema" and a patch was applied... and it lasted right to today.. and beyond? Pepe Smith was there just socializing with the owner (one of Papa Diaz' kids, I think).

We then went to the museum, but it was closed at 9 am, so I showed the gang the outside stuff and explained about the San Juan mine on top of the mountain... the cable tram bucket system and railroads at the top and bottom that brought the ore to Las Flores for processing into gold and silver ingots.

An arrastra (hand operated ore mill)

Las Flores train engine

The train car behind the engine is from the mountain top San Juan railroad and is a different gauge (why it doesn't fit on the same track).

Our Hollywood celeb, Marland Burke (Model, in Magic Mike, and on TV)

Las Flores... the jailhouse is the only intact building of a once thriving town. The train engine came from here, now in the L.A. Bay town plaza.

Heading south, on a recently graded road... very fast!

David K - 9-22-2016 at 03:46 PM

Poncho's Place, Bahia San Rafael...

Poncho makes good use of a BFG All Terrain TA!

So, I asked Poncho if I could get the word out of anything he might need (he has no vehicle since some meth heads stole his truck)... and he responded that while his solar panels give him power during the day for radio and his refrigerator/ freezer, his batteries were shot and all three no longer held a charge so he is in the dark at night. Here is a photo of two of them (I am not sure how many he needs, if more than one?).

Poncho keeps his place super clean and decorated. He protects the turtle eggs from coyotes when they are in the beach sand, he tells us.

Poncho gives a gift of sea shells to the two females in our group. Everyone is blown away by how humble this man is and does not complain about his situation in life, alone here.

Time to move on down the road...

Natural or man-made? >>>

There are a few detours on the trip.

We do not go to San Francisquito today... just so much Baja... and so little time!

More great roads!

Cuesta de la Ley grade is now concrete!

Looking south from the graded road, this is EL CAMINO REAL, the King's Highway (Royal Road) from about 1759 to 1930s when autombobles arrived in Baja, replacing mules and burros.

=======================================================================

To be continued!

Skipjack Joe - 9-22-2016 at 06:25 PM

Slam bam thank you Baja.

David K - 9-22-2016 at 10:37 PM

Indeed it was what they wanted to try and do... and they were stoked to see as much of Baja as we saw! Hard to show 50 years of Baja travels in 11 days, but now they have an idea of why I say, "So much Baja... so little time."

More trip report and photos coming tomorrow...

[Edited on 9-23-2016 by David K]

Day 4-B

David K - 9-23-2016 at 07:01 AM

Many parts of the old mission Camino Real have been overlayed with an automobile road, as it did take the most direct route between missions, visitas, and sources for water. The newest section of Highway 5, near Coco's Corner is being built on top of some of the mission road... just as much of Highway 1 was between El Rosario and Tijuana.

It isn't long before we arrive at the parking spot for the steep 1/2 mile climb to see the northernmost example of giant cave art (that we know of). I need to let some of them know that flip-flops are not appropriate footwear, and once everyone is in boots, I show them the trail up and let them go on ahead to experience the thrill that my wife and I experienced here, 4 years ago.

Marland takes a photo of the rest of the group...

Marland

Ham

Zoom of the vehicles below.

Next, we go to Pozo Alemán which was an active gold mine town in the early 1900s where some miners lived underground to escape the heat.

Read about the history of Pozo Alemán in this new article I wrote for Baja Bound: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/pozo_ale...

David K - 9-23-2016 at 09:08 AM

Going from Pozo Alemán south, we connected to the El Arco-Santa Gertrudis road via a direct short cut... only I got onto an older version of the short cut and we were on some old mine claim tracks before reaching the well graded road that heads east to the mission.

Nick (driving the red 4Runner) radios that his alternator light is on, so we decide to skip the Santa Gertrudis mission and turn south to Highway 1 on the road through Guillermo Prieto, as the sun goes low in the sky.

Guillermo Prieto was once a large farm center, and I was here in 2001 seeing an active community and kids playing. In 2012, the place was abandoned and last week, a new goat farm had been established there with goats running about the empty homes and play yard equipment.

Reaching Highway 1, we pumped up the tires for highway driving (from 25 psi up to 35 psi for me) and went the 7+ miles to Vizcaíno, which has become a huge center, and as we would discover, one of the best auto parts stores in Baja! First, we got gas... after stopping by one parts store north of the station, but didn't have the alternator.

Gas at the north station, 166 miles from Bahia de los Angeles fill up, at 7:24 pm MST, 600 pesos, 43 liters, 15 mpg all off pavement at lowered pressure, except for 7 miles.

Across the highway and just a little south was the Pro One auto parts store, and wow did they amaze us! They had the Toyota alternator for the 4Runner, as well as some other things Nick wanted to get... We drove back to the Pemex and in the yard behind the station, in less time it took to buy it, Nick had replaced the alternator with a new one. That was the end of that issue.

Now dark, the gang was concerned about night driving the 40-some miles to San Ignacio, in the dark. Some may have still not been convinced that the horror stories of Mexico travel were hokum. The only concern would be range cattle and burros on the road. We saw both but drove cautiously. No banditos, no drug cartels, no crooked cops, and no chupacabras!

We arrived at the La Huerta Motel, only one other car was there. Pat and I each got a room (550 pesos, under $31) but the others preferred to camp next to their trucks in the parking lot by the animal cages, and negotiated with the clerk for a camping fee, which seemed to really shock her when the rooms were so nice and inviting!

It all worked out well, we all had a great sleep following Chef Jesse's fantastic pulled pork dinner!

Coming up next, Day 5: Mission San Ignacio, Santa Rosalia, Mission at Mulegé, Bahia Concepcion, Playa Buenaventura rocks us with food and drinks, the far side of the bay, and a long, scratchy night!

========================================================

[Edited on 9-23-2016 by David K]

BajaGeoff - 9-23-2016 at 09:20 AM

Wow...I am really surprised to see that Cuesta de la Ley is paved since it is such a remote area! I went through there with a trailer to run a pit for the NORRA back in 2012 and it was terrible!

Love the painted cave at El Carmen too! That is such a special spot!

Skipjack Joe - 9-23-2016 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  
Wow...I am really surprised to see that Cuesta de la Ley is paved since it is such a remote area! I went through there with a trailer to run a pit for the NORRA back in 2012 and it was terrible!

Love the painted cave at El Carmen too! That is such a special spot!

I'm surprised as well. After they rerouted that road it became a cinch going over that pass. 4wd was no longer needed. Can't understand why they paved it. And who paved it.

David K - 9-23-2016 at 10:45 AM

My guess is there are a lot of supply (+ cattle and fish) trucks traveling to/from El Barril and maybe the San Francisquito cove?

TMW - 9-23-2016 at 11:28 AM

When or if a train comes thru he/she will become a Bobcat. Thanks David for the tour and great pictures.

DAY 5 of 11(Tue. 9-13-16)

David K - 9-23-2016 at 11:29 AM

We pack up at La Huerta, get more ice at the store in front of the motel (they are building a restaurant on the motel grounds now), and drive the short distance to the town plaza to have breakfast and tour the mission, founded in 1728.

We got a private tour of the mission workshop and saw some artifacts not yet on public display.

Leaving town, we see what was missed coming into town in the dak, last night.

Ham lost a bolt holding a part of his aftermarket suspension to the axle so at Santa Rosalia we stopped at the Pro One auto parts store and Nick and the others went into action.

Located north of the harbor, on the sea side of the highway.

In less than an hour, we arrive at Mulegé and tour the 4th California Spanish mission, founded in 1705!

Mulegé is often called the Hawaii of Baja...

Heading south, we get gasoline and are off to Bahia Concepcion.
Jesse's wish on this trip was to go to the end of the Concepcion Peninsula, no matter what... and while I was concerned that Hurricane Newton may have done the road in, as it has Hwy. 1 in a few places, I was willing to go, as I also always wanted to see the other side. Some painted cliffs are over there, too.

First, however, I wanted to take all of them to see Mark & Olivia's Playa Buenaventura Bar and Restuarant. Mark's son, Nathan has been really a big help and a major asset to the two after so much hell was done to them by the thug who once had the hotel next door... which was given to Mark & Olivia by the court as a small restitution for years of harassment they endured.

We had a great meal of cheeseburgers, fish sandwiches and Marland had a chicken sandwich. It all arrived at the same time... an amazing thing at some Baja eateries!

In the next addition, we go to the other side of the bay, and north on the Concepcion Peninsula!
================================================================

The Other Side of Concepcion Bay

David K - 9-23-2016 at 04:08 PM

Yes, there are roads on the peninsula that creates the Bay of Concepcion... ranches, too... and a WWII Manganese mine on the east side of the north end.

Erle Stanley Gardner was curious, but in 1966, he got no answers. He decided it would become a quest! I will write more about it in a future article...

In the November 1991 issue of Baja Explorer Magazine, Bob Vinton (aka Bicycle Bob or Baja Bob) details the road as do Tom and Patti Higginbotham in their 1996 central Baja guidebook, 'Backroad Baja'. So, we weren't flying blind into the unknown. Heck, the AAA Baja map even shows the road, as do the Baja Almanac map books.

Mark at Playa Buenaventura gave us the latest scoop in that the original road around the bottom of the bay at Km. 76 should be avoided due to a mud field near the abandoned government trailer park. Go another mile south or so, to the newer ranch road left (just north of Km. 74).

That is exactly what we did, and deflated our tires for some serious off roading that would last until midnight!

Leaving Highway One, our new off road adventure begins!

These mileages may vary with your odometer, use them only as a general guide. May the Force be with you!

A cattle ranch is passed at 0.4 mile.
At Mile 1.0 we join the old, pre-1970 main Baja road, that comes in from Km. 76 off Mex. 1.
At Mile 3.7 the main route of travel forks left for the bay.
At Mile 4.7 the road closest to the bay from the trailer park comes in from the left.
At Mile 5.6 fork to the left heading north.
At Mile 6.6 the road is next to the bay and going northbound.
At Mile 8.2 a road we used on the return (Ham's Shortcut) meets the coast road.
At Mile 9.9 (just north of three cardón cactus growing side-by-side (and called The Three Musketeers) is the wash/ route to Los Pintados rock art. On the report for tomorrow, learn how we missed finding it and what we found instead!
Around Mile 13, the road goes inland as the coastline curves off to the west.
Mile 15 come close to the bay again briefly, then head towards the mountain.
Mile 16.8, curve left and head back downhill towards the bay.
Mile 19.4, reach a salt flat-like area near Punta Amolares. We camped near here about midnight
Mile 25 End of the road for us, a "grand canyon" gully stops us about 11pm+

We estimate we are about 7-8 miles short of our goal, a sandy beach called either "Santo Domingo" or "Los Hornitos" on maps. The manganese mine road is a mile south of that beach.

We head back south to find a suitable place to set up our tents and get some needed rest. We go back south 5.6 miles and find a big flat near a gravel beach, and all is good at Punta Amolares.

The rest of us went a bit more to the right and had no problem on this mud flat.

============================================================

To be continued, with Day 6!

[Edited on 3-13-2019 by David K]

BornFisher - 9-23-2016 at 09:24 PM

Great report, great photos!!
Want to hear more details about the stuck vehicle (tire pressure?).
Love the dutch oven pizza.
Love the ladies eating a slice of watermelon while the guys are under the FJ!!
Looking forward to more, hope it will be as fun as this ride has been so far!!

4x4abc - 9-24-2016 at 07:49 AM

great stuff, David.

Love the fact that the seasoned traveler has only the essentials (the driver and beer) - whereas the others are loaded like they came straight from an overland show.

And David, 20 psi for the beach is 10 psi too many.

Please tell us more about the rock art at the south end of Bahia Concepcion

David K - 9-24-2016 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Great report, great photos!!
Want to hear more details about the stuck vehicle (tire pressure?).
Love the dutch oven pizza.
Love the ladies eating a slice of watermelon while the guys are under the FJ!!
Looking forward to more, hope it will be as fun as this ride has been so far!!

The stuck vehicle was Christine's 4Runner driven by Nick. It was lead vehicle and took the direct route over a mud flat and when it crossed the creek/ tidal channel the rear end sunk in. We all had deflated the tires for dirt road, but I don't know what the 4Runner was running at. Ham's FJ Cruiser quickly pulled him out after we drove around the mud hole just a few hundred feet further inland.

The Dutch oven pizza was at Las Pintas (Day 9 of 11)

The watermelon was purchased by Pat to share with everyone on the highway in Santa Rosalia, across from the Pro One auto parts store in Santa Rosalia. Jesse's Land Cruiser and my Tacoma parked in front of the fruit market and the 4Runner and FJ parked in front of the auto parts store. They needed a bolt for the FJ's rear axle stabilizer (or ?) as the stock one fell out somewhere. The auto parts in San Ignacio (by the whale bones) didn't have the correct size bolt, but Santa Rosalia did.

More coming, yes each day was fun and different... Baja kept on giving and now I am sharing the gift of Baja for others to enjoy.

Pat added some of his photos onto Facebook, not sure if this link works for everyone: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1676555809...

David K - 9-24-2016 at 08:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
great stuff, David.

Love the fact that the seasoned traveler has only the essentials (the driver and beer) - whereas the others are loaded like they came straight from an overland show.

And David, 20 psi for the beach is 10 psi too many.

Please tell us more about the rock art at the south end of Bahia Concepcion

Hi Harald,
20 psi worked just fine to float on top the sand with my heavily loaded Tacoma on Hankook Dynapro ATM tires. BFG All Terrains with their 3 ply sidewall need to drop to 10 psi, as do mud terrain type tires to get good floatation.

The drive to find the rock art (Arroyo los Pintados) is what I am going to post next... The site was published in Erle Stanley Gardner's Off the Beaten Track in Baja (1967) and Pompano and others on Nomad have been there and taken photos. They are here on Nomad.

Glad you are enjoying... and yes, I told the guys they wouldn't be using the Max Trax, but they had everything and the trip was a total success. Nick is an engineer and quite the mechanic... even with his tool box well stocked, he didn't have a torque wrench, but that was resolved at the Pro One auto parts in Vizcaíno on the trip north (to deal with the Land Cruiser axle nut, if needed... more on that later in the story).

Mission San Borja area tours

David K - 9-24-2016 at 08:31 AM

Here is the card for José's son Genaro. Anyone who wishes to arrange a mule or other multi-day tour of the area, like to the San Juan mine, can send a message to José via the email on the card...

Udo - 9-24-2016 at 08:49 AM

WOW...David!

This is the traveling that Baja travelers dream of.

DAY 6 (Wed. Sept. 14, 2016)

David K - 9-24-2016 at 09:58 AM

We are camped on a salt flat-like area not far from the shore of the bay... a narrow line of low shrub is all that is between us and the water, a few hundred feet away. Chef Jesse makes us an egg, bacon, and cheese scramble which we devoured with pleasure! It was a long, tough night drive so we were not in any hurry to get up, and the breakfast was greatly appreciated. My passenger, Pat, likes fresh-brewed coffee and I have my camp stove set up each morning for him to percolate a pot. He has brought Starbucks, and it was quite good even for me as a not so big coffee drinker.

We all walk to the shore and Nick goes snorkeling in the warm water. A puffer fish calmly swims to us (see it in Ham's video). We are finally heading back south at 12:45pm heading back. I should mention that the road north of Amorales (where we camped) is very overgrown and not been used in ages except perhaps for motorcycles! All of us got tons of "Baja pin stripes" last night! In the video, you can see the brush lit by Ham's amber lamps that we drove through, twice. [I got my truck 'clayed' in a detail job two days ago to remove the scratches. Only one was too deep to rub out.]

In my notes, I note that we passed through a fence gate 4.8 miles southbound from camp at 1:21 pm (closing it after we all pass through, of course). We pass a Ford Courier or Ranger truck coming north on the road driven by a rancher, friendly waves are exchanged... and we admire that his truck is 2WD and travels frequently on what we would call a 4WD only road... LOL!

We reach the Arroyo los Pintados 'road' at Mile 10.4 from camp... and there are no tracks, just the arroyo north of the Three Musketeer cardón cacti.

There is a fork in the wash in 0.7 mile and I take the left branch (which was correct for the painted cliff), but the wash route becomes difficult and we turn around after 0.4 mile and head for the right branch... and sure enough I see tire ruts, so we think we are on the correct route. I did not have the GPS for the painted cliff, and was just winging it. Where we ended up going was fascinating and proves that in Baja, all roads go someplace interesting!

Well, the right branch road climbs out of the arroyo and there is a steep down-and-up gully. Nick is lead rig and it takes him a few tries... we toss in some rocks to help us bigger vehicles not bottom-out the rear end. We drop into another arroyo (Tres Marías) and go up it and soon are in a running stream! I love seeing water in the desert and it shows you (if you get away from main roads and into the backcountry) how the Indians could survive in an otherwise waterless land.

Where the canyon narrows and further driving is halted we see what looks like a man-hole plate on top of a well, a few feet higher than the arroyo floor. There is a concrete foundation on the side of the arroyo and just ahead is a side ravine (that the water is coming from) with a fence along the side of the slope... very odd? We walk to see where the water is pouring out of solid rock and it is an amazing place (to me)!

Investigating the concrete foundation, we read it is from 'Pancho Arce, June 14, 2001' and this is (was) 'Rancho Tres Marías'. We are about 4 miles from the bay shore road (it seems a lot longer).

Coming back, Ham spots an old road that will allow us to avoid the deep gully and we turn left out of Arroyo Tres Marías and cross over to Arroyo Luis (on the Almanac map). Ham had spent weeks downloading GoogleEarth images of the area of Baja we hoped to see and had a screen in his FJ with the GPS of his truck and that is how he found the cut across road! We reached the bay shore road about 5 miles from Rancho Tres Marías site. We were back at Highway One in 7.2 more miles, on the same road we took the day before.

Before I get into the next part of Day 6 (Campo La Perla), here are maps and photos...

The beach at Punta Amolares:

Looking across the bay:

Our camp:

A surprise INSIDE my truck!!!

Jesse's Land Cruiser:

One more walk to the water...

Our camp from the near the water...

The drive back south...

Big lizard...

Osprey on cardón:

Arroyo Tres Marías:

Pat on the foundation.

MAPS:

Ham's GPS track. Note the short left fork, which was the correct direction for Los Pintados.

I traced the roads on GE, where we returned to the bay shore road was just south of the road I traced.

Red arrows for drive in and blue for drive out.

========================================================================

To be continued...

[Edited on 3-13-2019 by David K]

Ateo - 9-24-2016 at 10:16 AM

Thanks for posting. Enjoying the trip.

DAY 6 Continued... and DAY 7 (Thur. Sept. 15, 2016):

David K - 9-24-2016 at 03:59 PM

We reach Hwy. 1 (just north of Km. 74) and fill up our tires to street pressure (35 psi for my Tacoma on the Hankooks). We turn right and head north. We have a late afternoon on a sandy beach, at Campo La Perla. The place was deserted and the hurricane only did some damage to one palapa.

A room with a view...

Nick and Christine are the first to get in the bay...

============================================================================

Thursday Morning...

El Requeson...

Isla el Requeson...

We stop in at Playa Buenaventura to check in with Nathan, Mark, and Olivia...

Heading north for Mulegé, we pull over to get some premium shots of Bahia el Coyote (a small bay in Bahia Concepcion), those famous sea level palm trees (photos of them just above the sea date back to the 1940s), and it is a premium photo location, used for book covers over the past 40 years...

1971 book cover:

The pre-paved highway main road to La Paz...

We go into old town Mulegé to get some ice and anything else needed and to show the Baja newbies what it looks like there. On the highway heading north, we have a couple of detours from the hurricane of the previous week but are not an issue for any car.

BANDITOS!!! ???

Between Santa Rosalia and San Ignacio, between the big grades, was a van on the left with children and a woman. They were waving for help, holding an empty water gallon bottle and a siphon hose, yelling "gasolina"!

It looked much like the scam reported near El Rosario, but I radioed the others it seemed okay and it was up to them if they wanted to stop (it was a busy highway). They opted to get a dose of good Karma and pulled over to help... providing the van with three gallons of Premium (as the backup fuel for the super-charged Land Cruiser I-6 engine). After giving gas, I told the woman, who kept her face hidden with a scarf, that we wanted them to start the van and we would follow them to San Ignacio to make sure they got there safely. She refused, coming up with excuses and saying her husband had "papers" she was waiting for, yadda yadda yadda. I asked her if she was sick (TB?) and that is why she had her face covered. She said yes, but most likely it was because of all the filming and photos many were taking of her!

We topped our tanks at San Ignacio and pulled across the highway for some carne quesadillas. They were so good we asked for another round... sadly, we cleaned her out of meat on the first order!

The highway to Punta Abreojos was the worst paved road of the trip, filled with potholes for much of the distance. We went to the end of town and came back on the malecon paved street, then turned left to use the salt flat road to La Bocana and on to Bahia Asuncion (our goal for today).

Beach at Punta Abreojos.

Salt flat road (thank goodness the sea level hasn't risen, yet!)

Ham is leading the way and misses the correct route through La Bocana, and we tour the town dump!

Passing through San Hipolito.

We next pass through Punta Prieta, and I note how much the village has grown since I was last through here in 2007.

Between Punta Prieta and Bahia Asuncion, Jesse (in the Land Cruiser) is hearing a front end noise. I stop, and as he rolls in behind me, I can see his wheel wobble a bit!

Out comes the jack and the tire indeed is wobbling when manually shaken. Jesse had a private mechanic put a new bearing in that wheel... and as Nick soon discovered, left out important washers!!! Nick tightens it up and it remains good for the next two days. On the way north, we stop in that great Pro One auto parts store in Vizcaíno and they have a kit of the two washers that Jesse's mechanic forgot to replace! We stop in two days at El Crucero and Jesse correctly installs the washer and lock washer and uses a torque wrench (bought at Pro One also) to correctly tighten the axle nut.

We arrive at Juan & Shari's La Bufadora Inn (Bahia Asuncion)...

Jesse had communicated with Shari on Facebook before the trip and asked her what she would like from up north... and delivered them to her.

After seeing the incredible rooms, we all elect to stay in the rooms at Shari's instead of camping at the campground. A big meal is planned for the next night. We stay in Asuncion two nights.

Viva Baja!

It is the eve of Mexican Independence and we join Shari going into town to celebrate. The night was a hit with lots of good cultural exchange between our group and the people of Asuncion. Jesse had the best tamales and incredible empanadas served on the street. See Ham's video for more of the fiesta that included fireworks, the first year they replaced gunfire, Shari tells us!

===================================================================

Continued with Day 7 (Friday) at Playa Loma, San Roque, Fossil hills, and food feast that night!

[Edited on 9-24-2016 by David K]

DAY 8 (Friday, Sept. 16... Independence Day 2016)

David K - 9-24-2016 at 06:31 PM

We head out with Shari to go to the surfer's beach, Playa Loma, on the way to San Roque.

See Ham's video for more. Nick catches some waves along with the local boys.

San Roque...

The once ruined church has been brought back to life!

Neither Ham or his sister, Jerry, know how to swim... so they get lessons and have a blast!

Dinner is delivered! I buy one of the yellowtail just caught so Jesse and Shari have the makings for fresh sashimi!

What is amazing as to how professional Jesse whips up a multi sushi meal for 13 people with several different seafood ingredients from Shari and Juan and the boat at San Roque. Can you tell Shari is happy?

The owner of the Asuncion restaurant (Mari) Tomás and his family join us. He brings fresh herbs and assists the prep.

We eat and party well... then a second wonderful sleep at La Bufadora Inn. I am in the Rock room (where Baja Angel and I stayed in 2012, last time here). Thank you, Shari!

I think there may be future visitors or even homeowners for Asuncion from this group!

Here is a map of the Vizcaino Peninsula in central-west Baja California, and the road to Asuncion from Highway 1 (the town of Vizcaino is at the junction). The road is all paved since this map was made. San Roque is just a few miles up the coast from Bahia Asuncion.

A big day driving north to the Las Pintas Fossil Grotto is next!

wessongroup - 9-24-2016 at 06:39 PM

Thanks much ... enjoyed it a lot :):)

David K - 9-24-2016 at 06:55 PM

De nada... still 3 more days to show (Two missions, Las Pintas, La Lobera, and Ron's oyster farm near San Quintin)...

mtgoat666 - 9-24-2016 at 08:27 PM

Is this THE palm tree? It looks like the rising sea level killed the tree that used to be next to it. Also, the tree today looks much unhealthier relative to Sunset picture, salt stress, eh?

wessongroup - 9-24-2016 at 08:32 PM

Way cool ... the "green" is something :):)

David K - 9-25-2016 at 09:12 AM

It was pretty to see!

TacoFeliz - 9-25-2016 at 10:04 AM

Super nice job on the trip and report David! Looking forward to the next installments.

Self-report: slight case of Baja Fever here...

DAY 9 (SAT. SEPT. 17, 2016)

David K - 9-25-2016 at 10:51 AM

Shari has up line-up our Toyotas for a leaving photo. We exchange hugs and I think some of my friends will be back...

Shari's photo with names added:

The new Pemex at Bahia Asuncion gets our business, but since they have no air line (I found out the day before when I topped my tank), we did air back up at Shari's with our own pumps.

The paved road from Asuncion to Hwy. 1 at Vizcaino is excellent (in 2012 there was a section of pot holes) and makes the drive easy, for a change.

At the Eagle Monument (near Guerrero Negro) state border, there is a big stop sign for the INM office inspection, but nobody is there to look at the tourist cards we purchased. We stop for some photos of the 140 foot tall eagle, constructed to commemorate the completion of paved Highway One on December 1, 1973. The president of Mexico was here to "cut the ribbon". Now, a military base has set up at the monument and trees block much of it from view. It was supposed to be a museum (there's and underground room) of Baja history there, and many donated items to display (including some from the late Mama Espinoza). Who knows what happened to all of them?

The 28° North Parallel of latitude and border between the two states that make up the peninsula of Baja California.

Looking south after passing the monument...

We are in the state of Baja California and back on Pacific Time (so we get back the hour we lost driving south).

The junction to Bahia de los Angeles (the power lines from Guerrero Negro head east for the bay here). No new work yet on the future Pemex station signed (to the right of my truck in the photo above this one).

We had decided to take a lunch break, and the pull off at El Crucero came up at about 12:30. This is where we reached pavement coming south from Gonzaga Bay and Calamajué mission on Day 2. As I mentioned on that day, the ranch at El Crucero (located just out of sight from the highway) was abandoned. Here is the road north from El Crucero (a major pit area when the Baja 1000 passes this place).

Before the road from Laguna Chapala to Puerto Calamajué was built in 1983, this was the south end of "Hwy. 5" south from San Felipe!

There is one tree at El Crucero, so we gather around it... Jesse has begun feeling the front hub acting up so they use the opportunity to install the washers they bought at Pro One in Vizcaino to replace those left out by Jesse's mechanic when he had a new bearing installed before the trip.

Note Hwy. 1 in the background where it bends around the base of a hill.

We pass slowly through Cataviña and make a stop at Rancho Sonora (by the El Marmol junction) to look at and maybe buy some onyx curios (wind chimes, figurines, gifts).

Next, a brief stop at the new military checkpoint at San Agustin (located by the long ago abandoned Pemex station).

At the abandoned El Progreso Café we turn left for the 2.5 mile dirt road to see Mission San Fernando de Velicatá, the first California mission founded by Junípero Serra in May 1769 on his long journey from Loreto to occupy the ports of San Diego and Monterey, for the King of Spain.

Pat at San Fernando.

The goal for this afternoon is the fossil grotto and petroglyph site of Las Pintas. I had not been there since my birthday in 2010... and I would turn a year older on this trip at the same location!

The road we need to use is the one for Punta San Carlos, at Km. 80. We stop there to deflate the tires and it is just over 17 fast miles to the Las Pintas side road. The others want to do some video recording along the way.

The road to Las Pintas (7 miles long) is far far dustier (silt) than 6 years ago.. and less used, too. There was some new ranch oriented building near the site, but we saw nobody else in there.

It is getting late, and we decide to camp at the lower end and let the others explore as much as they can before it is dark, plus any time in the morning before we leave for San Quintin.

Nick gets up the boulders with ease.

I begin documenting as much as I can get to while there is still enough light. I first came to Las Pintas in 2000 and have been back many times. Each time seeing new things, it is that impressive a site.

The rock art at Las Pintas may be some of the oldest on the peninsula, dating from 1000 to 3,000 years ago. [Gloria Garvin, Seven Rock Art Sites in Baja California, edited by Clement Meighan,1978].

It is a fantastic evening... no wind, no bugs, just a perfect camp night in Baja!

Chef Jesse makes each of us a Dutch Oven Pizza! Amazing!!! See it in Ham's video. It is a great campfire night.

==============================================================

4x4abc - 9-25-2016 at 02:23 PM

the wheel bearing story

wheel bearings need grease for lubrication and a certain preload that keeps the rollers at predetermined distance
if the preload is not kept, the surface hardening of the bearing parts (rollers and races) is destroyed.
Retightening the bearings will get you home or to a shop. There they must be replaced for a safe future (your's).

driving home to California with the damaged bearings? That might be stretching your luck.

David K - 9-25-2016 at 02:56 PM

Nick was on top of it, Jesse got home ok. I am sure he gave hell to the mechanic who left out the two washers!

DAY 10 (Sunday Sept. 18, 2016) Part 1

David K - 9-25-2016 at 06:08 PM

It is a glorious day in Baja, at an ancient aboriginal shaman ritual site, maybe 2000 years or more old, what could be better... and it was my birthday, too! The fossils of oysters and other sea creatures are everywhere, as well... Talk about real sea level rising! We are 20 miles away from and 1,000 feet higher than today's ocean.

Greeting me was our resident Hollywood actor, Marland Burke ...

Back to Hwy. 1 at Km. 80 (14 miles from El Rosario) we stop to do a final airing up of our tires. It takes about 15 minutes overall, as we all have fast air pumps.

Pat wants to see as many missions as possible and it just so happens that one is just a block from the highway in downtown El Rosario!

El Rosario was the first Dominican founded California mission, July 24, 1774 by Padre Francisco Galistéo. The story of this and the other 27 missions of Baja California are all told in my new book (published Feb. 2016) 'Baja California Land of Missions' available from the publisher at www.oldmissions.com (free U.S. shipping, no tax added) or from distributors such as Sunbelt, Discover Baja Travel Club, Mission San Luis Rey, Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, etc. Thank you for your support of my historical research in the land that was California first!

Each vehicle in this Baja Extreme tour received a complimentary copy as my token of appreciation for trusting me to show them Baja places so few go to and making these 11 days a blast to travel.

I am happy to discuss Baja via email or PM anytime!

We drive a short distance more and stop at the Baja Cactus Pemex station in El Rosario for a final fill up to reach the border. The price was consistent all through Baja on this trip. At the exchange rate we got pesos at, a week before the trip (17.805: dollar), the price per gallon of 87 octane Magna was $2.97. I took on 13.4 gallons since Villa Jesus Maria (246 miles) and my mileage was 18.2 MPG, which was great considering the heavy load and four wheeling into and out of Las Pintas. It has to do with using pure gasoline and not the ethanol diluted stuff we have in California!

Leaving El Rosario, we climb the steep grade to the top of the mesa and a military checkpoint (the last one of the trip)... 6 miles from El Rosario is the signed road to La Lobera, the sea lion crater. It is 3 miles of very dusty driving and there is a rough detour at the arroyo crossing... passenger cars should no longer attempt this road. The seafood project has been abandoned here... the strong swells damage the intake pipes needed to circulate fresh sea water to the abalone, lobster, and other things being raised here... in the structure just beyond the crater.

The cave leading into the crater is below here.

Coming up next... to San Quintin and Ron Hoff's Oyster Farm and Limpet Project...

David K - 9-26-2016 at 08:32 AM

One week since we returned from The Baja Extreme... and I will try and finish the trip report photos tonight!

On Facebook, Talk Baja page, I am also posting the photos, but not nearly the amount of text and I am only as far as Day 4 with the photos. So here is the most data and better photos.

motoged - 9-26-2016 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
the wheel bearing story .....
driving home to California with the damaged bearings? That might be stretching your luck.

That is what makes it "extreme" adventure ;)

David K - 9-26-2016 at 01:23 PM

Bearing made no noise once the axle nut was correctly torqued on. Again, we all made it home a week ago.

The extreme was the fun, four wheeling, Baja sites seen, people we interacted with, and great times.

JohnK - 9-26-2016 at 01:53 PM

Dang David - now I've got Baja fever. And I just got back from vacation (elsewhere...).

DAY 10 (Sunday) Part 2

David K - 9-26-2016 at 03:56 PM

After coming out from La Lobera, we head north on Hwy. 1 for San Quintin and stop for ice and beer at the El Gol liquor store on the hill north of Los Pinos (where the highway bends westward and drops down to the plain, northbound). We can get Facebook on the Internet so I send Ron a message we are running 1-2 hours late from our noon estimate to meet him.

San Quintin & Lazaro Card##as are very busy this Sunday midday... lots of traffic! We turn left at the military base wall (no signal here, but it is a major road junction).

It is a dozen or so miles to La Chorera on the Pacific coast, almost opposite San Martin island. We drive to the camp area overlooking the beach, and I suggest the others wait there or begin unloading while I find Ron and see where we are going to meet him.

Driving north through the village I am soon going along a wall and see a tall Baja Gringo walking along the other side! I tell him the others are at that camp area and will go get them. Ron was inside his oyster farm compound and opened the gate for us.

Going back to get the others, they are relieved that we are not camping in that camp area! Apparently, it was quite unappealing and dirty as they discovered walking about. We all went to the oyster farm and Ron said we could camp there, inside with the ocean view.

Ron and his Mexican partner, Reyes, are going to explain the oyster process and why they are having all sorts of success. Then we are treated to a crate full of huge oysters to "sample" both raw, in shooters, and barbequed.

The enjoyment of the afternoon goes on and on and with the addition of some local halibut, Chef Jesse prepares a final feast that is incredible! The evening is topped off when they distract me for a time only to surprise be with a birthday cake complete with candles (1 for every 10 years, I think).

Thank you: Ron, Reyes, Pat, Jesse, Marland, Ham, Jerry, Nick and Christine!

One last night campfire was enjoyed and we exchanged thoughts on what places really stood out or were exceptional! That was hard because they all were great in different ways!

On my last part to wrap up the trip home on Monday, I will go over the places and events with my thoughts on them.

PHOTOS:

RON "GOMEZ" HOFF, BAJA GRINGO, your TALK BAJA host on Facebook.

Limpets may be the future of finding cures to many diseases, we learn.

Reyes shucks an oyster.

A little hot suce and lime juice is added...

Ron demonstrates.

Jerry gets into it.

Shooters are readied.

Fish and veggies are cooked...

Ron delivers the birthday cake! THANK YOU!

Ron dances to the Bob Marley tunes playing.. yah mon!

TMW - 9-26-2016 at 04:47 PM

What a great ending to a great trip. Thanks for sharing it with us.

David K - 9-26-2016 at 05:11 PM

One more day to go and a wrap up... but no more photos, from me!

A lot of others were taking photos and some are posted on Facebook already... More videos too.... Maybe one of me doing a reggae dance, oh the horror!

motoged - 9-26-2016 at 07:46 PM

David,
A great trip and report....it's nice to turn folks on to Baja :saint:

Ken Cooke - 9-26-2016 at 08:35 PM

That looked like a fun trip. Happy birthday!

wessongroup - 9-26-2016 at 09:11 PM

:):)

Tomas Tierra - 9-26-2016 at 09:38 PM

Fun read and photos DK! Looked like an adventure filled trip. The way it should be!!!

TT

Tomas Tierra - 9-26-2016 at 09:40 PM

And.......... Thank you for posting!

David K - 9-27-2016 at 07:11 AM

De nada amigos! There is more to come...

Here is a nearly 4 minute video (with Spanish mission background music) made by Ham showing some of the mission sites we went to (San Borja, San Ignacio, Mulegé, San Fernando, and El Rosario):

BajaGringo - 9-27-2016 at 10:06 AM

Was really a great bunch to have here and I admit that I was apprehensive at first due to how busy we have been and not having the time to prepare much before their arrival. They pretty much came in and took care of everything for us - all we had to do was provide some fresh oysters, fish, kitchen space and some mesquite and they did all the rest. Well, we did provide a birthday cake too and Reyes really enjoyed meeting all you guys. He was quite sincere in his offer of being welcome to return anytime.

A slight correction - the photos are at our abalone grow out facility here on the beach at La Chorera, fronting San Martin Island. We are in the process modifying our systems and currently in trials to host both abalone and giant keyhole limpets (megathura crenulata) together in our tanks; all part of our collaboration agreement with our US partner - Stellar Biotechnologies.

Our oyster farm is in Bahia Falsa, a few miles SE of La Chorera.

David K - 9-27-2016 at 11:07 AM

Thank you Ron for your hospitality and kindness.
I appreciate the correction on the oysters coming from the bay. I just saw the crate lifted out of the tank which I now realize is for limpets and abalone aquaculture. Thank Reyes from all of us on the Baja Extreme!

MAPS

David K - 9-28-2016 at 06:52 AM

I made maps to illustrate the areas we might visit on the trip for Pat, Jesse and the others...

The only things altered on the actual trip from what was pointed out on the maps where: not seeing Desengaño, La Gringa, Mission Santa Gertrudis, road we used was near Km. 74, and the WWII manganese mine.

David K - 9-28-2016 at 09:08 AM

OK... so when I can sit down here again later today... I will wrap up the trip with DAY 11 notes and a summary of the places we visited and my thoughts on what was there.

Hasta Pronto!

Udo - 9-28-2016 at 09:38 AM

Looking forward, DK!

geoffff - 9-28-2016 at 12:04 PM

Here is the card for José's son Genaro.

Thanks for sharing Genaro's contact info, David! I just sent him some photos I had taken of him when I visited San Borja back in 2002.

-- Geoff

David K - 9-28-2016 at 02:19 PM

Nice to share with him, Geoffff. In 2009, I gave the family copies of photos I had of Brisa (the eldest daughter) and my daughter Sarah (about 12 then) riding the mule around the mission. Two weeks ago (7 years later) José and his wife remembered me doing that. Photos are appreciated.

This family does a lot to promote tourism in the area, all for tips and a small camping fee if you overnight there. Camping was only 50 pesos per person (under $3 US), and besides the palapa, has flush toilets and showers.

DAY 11, Monday Sept. 19, 2016.

David K - 9-29-2016 at 05:44 PM

The night before, Ron suggested a breakfast idea... he could order up breakfast burritos at a place along Hwy. 1 in San Quintin and we could grab and go with them! The only problem was finding the place... It took a while and the first place we stopped at seemed to match the directions, but it was a half mile too soon. Driving ahead, I went past as neither Pat or I saw Ron's vehicle parked in front! Luckily the other three Toyotas spotted his vehicle... and we turned around. They were good burritos, too!

Traffic was typical of the San Quintin to Colonet corridor... and why Hwy. 5 will be such a joy to go south and north on. A small detour near Santo Tomás for the road widening and a longer one on Hwy. 3 south of Tecate as they are working on the remaining older style highway, replacing it with the newer (bike lane wide shoulder) highway Mexico is building.

I top off the gas tank with good ethanol-free gasoline at Tecate. The Pemex prices are lower along the border, matching with California USA prices. It was 12.90/ liter and for our pesos, that was $2.75/ gallon... 22 cents cheaper than the rest of Baja, south of the border zone. I got 17.7 MPG on the leg from El Rosario (and 18.3 MPG on the previous leg north from Villa Jesus Maria). Not bad with the heavy load and some miles in 4WD! In California, no or small load, on California gasoline, I get 14-15 MPG around town and 16-17 highway!

The border wait is 40 minutes (1:30pm-2:10pm). The inspector only asked what we were bringing back... Pat bought a bottle of tequila in Tecate. That was it!

In my next post, I will summarize each of the places we went to...

David K - 9-30-2016 at 09:36 AM

Here are my mileage notes and comment on each day's locations. We had obtained Pesos at the Chula Vista Costco a week before the trip at 17.805 per dollar:

DAY 1:
San Diego North County 7:30am to El Centro 10:15am: 152.5 mi., 9.8 gal. = 15.6 mpg.

El Centro to Calexico 11:00am 11.8 mi.

Arrive El Dorado Pemex, San Felipe North 2:10pm: 128.3 mi. from El Centro gas stop 7.52 gal. = 17.1 mpg. 5 gallon can filled, total 664 pesos.

Go to malecon in San Felipe, enjoy tacos, find fresh corvina for sale on the north end by the 'dry dock' area. Head south for Shell Island... several pot holes around Punta Estrella. Get onto Shell Island, deflate tires, drive to camp site. Chef Jesse makes us Chile Verde and it is delicious!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 2:
Leave Shell Island at 8:00am. Stop at photo op of Enchanted Islands (Km. 99). Military checkpoint at Gonzaga Bay. Stop for gasoline at Gonzaga Pemex: 117.7 mi., 8.5 gal. = 13.8 mpg (possible inaccurate pump). Go to Rancho Grande store across the highway. Leave at 11:30am

End of pavement is 20+ kms. south as it has been since early 2014. Drive to Coco's Corner (22+ miles from Gonzaga). After visit with Coco, we head east towards Calamajué. Road rougher than in 2012. Stop at gold ore mill ruins and at mission ruins before heading up the canyon. Water in canyon very light. Reach Highway 1 at El Crucero (ranch operating here in 2012 is now abandoned).

Take highway to San Borja road and turn south for Mission San Borja, 22 miles dirt road, mostly good with only a few rocky miles. Arrive late afternoon. Nice palapa camping with showers and flush toilets, only 50 pesos per person (US$2.81). We tour the hot spring and orchard (gave a 50 peso tip for the Sra. and daughter). Chef cooks us amazing Corvina Gumbo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 3:
We tour the mission (tip paid to family) take photos and are on our way to L.A. Bay. I get a rock puncture flat about 19 miles from the mission (3 miles from the highway), put on the spare. We take the 6+ mile side road to see Montevideo cliff paintings by ancients here. The side road is much rougher and overgrown since my last time on it in 2006.

Arrive Bahia de los Angeles, stop at gas station (164.3 miles from Gonzaga fill up, 11.3 gal. = 14.5 mpg. Go to Camp Archelon to set up camp. Palapas on the beach and they each have large canvas cots for sleeping. Cost was adverised at US$8 per person, but using pesos the owner (Bety) asked for 100 (US$5.62). Chef Jesse made us fried chicken and pancakes with jalpeño maple syrup... wow, was that good! We all were asking for more chicken the next 24 hours!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 4:
I get my tire patched at Sammi Diaz' tire shop (across from the Xitlali market near the end of pavement for 170 pesos (US$9.55) and it has not leaked since. Sammi Diaz III did the change and Pepe Smith was there, as well.

We all go to the museum, but at 9am it is still closed (sign says open at 11 am). We look at all the mine displays outside plus go see the train engine in the town plaza near the museum.

A left turn at the tire shop onto dirt for the long day's drive... ending at San Ignacio. The graded road south is in great shape. We stop at Las Flores to tour the jailhouse and railroad bed. We stop again at the junction to Bahia las Animas, where a new sign is on a surfboard there. Then we arrive at Poncho's San Rafael Camp and have a great visit with a most humble man. He recalls when my kids and I had dinner with him back in 2003!

A detour around a washout is encountered, otherwise, the entire road south from Bahia de los Angeles is excellent. We arrive at the end, turn left for the short hop to the newer road, pass Rancho el Progreso and head west on an even faster, sand base dirt road... until we reach the bottom of the famous grade, Cuesta de la Ley, and it is paved with concrete!

We stop at the El Camino Real crossing then park at the base of Mesa el Carmen to hike up at take in the giant cave painting there. One of Jesse's off road lights breaks off on the road in.

Next, we tour the ghost gold mine town of Pozo Aleman, active in 1910. From there, I seek out a short cut to get on the El Arco to Mission Santa Gertrudis road... and end up on an older, but parallel dirt road for a few miles! Along the way towards Santa Gertrudis, Nick and Christine (4Runner) have an alternator light come on and we deem it necessary to skip the Santa Gertrudis tour and head directly for Vizcaino, a large town with a well stocked Pro One auto parts store (east side of highway, just south of the north gas station). We cross into the state of Baja California Sur and also lose an hour going into Mountain Time Zone.

At the north Vizcaino Pemex, 7:24pm, we all top off. Like at L.A. Bay, I get 42.9 liters (11.3 gallons) for 600 pesos, 170.6 miles from L.A. Bay = 15.1 mpg. The Pro One store has the alternator Nick needs, as well as a bank, next door so they can get pesos. We move back to the Pemex station and park behind to do the alternator swap... It takes Nick less time to do the work than it took to buy the thing!

We drive on to San Ignacio in the dark to get to the La Huerta Motel. Pat and I each get rooms and the younger people elect to camp in the parking lot to be next to their trucks and fix another outstanding meal... pulled pork sandwiches! We are 45 miles from Vizcaino, the rooms were only 550 pesos (US$31) and they paid 500 pesos to camp. Ice at the market at the motel entrance was 17.50/ bag (US$1).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 5:
Breakfast at Victor's in San Ignacio across the street from the mission church is great. We tour the mission and some buy a few handmade gifts from the lady there who also offers to show us a back room where restoration of artifacts is underway.

We take photos at the river crossing. Ham needs a bolt for a rear stabilizer and they check with the Pro One auto parts at the Hwy. 1 junction into San Ignacio. No luck there, but at the next Pro One store in Santa Rosalia, success. It is on the east side of the highway, north of the east side Pemex. A fruit market is across the street.

Damage from the hurricane the week before is quickly dealt with and we have only a few detours around or drive slowly over damaged roads. We arrive in Mulegé and head straight for the 1705 mission for a quick tour and photos of Mulegé from the high vantage point.

Next stop is the gas station on the south end of town. It has been 134.3 miles since the fill up at Vizcaino and the truck only takes on 6.2 gallons, which means and incredible 21.7 mpg was achieved on this partial tank, all highway, not driving fast, great gas (no ethanol)! Cost was 330 pesos for the gas.

We head south to Mark and Olivia's Playa Buenaventura Bar/ Restaurant/ Room Rentals Resort. Mark's son Nathan is also there helping out and doing great things for business. We are all impressed and Olivia and staff feed all 8 of us with ease cooking fish, chicken and cheeseburgers. It all comes out together (which in itself is rarely seen in Baja restaurants off grid).

While I hope the others will want to enjoy this area and maybe camp a mile away at El Requeson or La Perla, Jesse has had the quest to drive all the way to the end of the 25 mile long Concepcion Bay peninsula. It is already late in the day, but we push on. It hindsight it is so great that we had a good meal late that day at Playa Buenaventura!

We drove until midnight before finding a suitable place to put up our tents. We drove nearly 25 miles of the estimated 32 to the desired beach before a deep gully (hurricane last week) dashed that goal. We turned back for 5.6 miles to get out of the brush and reach an open, flat area for camping. It all worked out, even though a scorpion somehow got into my truck while we scratched through heavy brush that had encroached on the ancient road.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 6:
Chef Jesse made us a great bacon scramble in the Dutch oven, so the day was a great start. We thought that since we didn't reach our goal of Day 5, we could visit the petroglyphs or pictographs found up Arroyo los Pintados.

We spent some time in the water, took photos, a pufferfish was friendly, and we then packed up and left about 12:45pm. About 5 miles south from camp (which was at or near Punta Amolares) was a closed gate that we passed through and re-closed. About 10 miles south was the three cardón cactus marking the Arroyo los Pintados, which had no tracks (hurricane) to follow. Driving up the arroyo, a major fork is reached in 3/4 mile. We first go left (which would have been correct for Los Pintados) but in less than a half mile, see no signs of passage, so I turn around and opt to try the right fork.

The right fork soon becomes a visible road that climbs out of the arroyo to the right. There is a major technical gully and Nick needs to make a few attempts as he is the lead vehicle now. The rest of us with A-TRAC or front and rear lockers have no problem, but we did toss some rocks in the gully to help prevent bottoming out the back end of my longer than others, truck.

The road we used cut across from Arroyo los Pintados to Arroyo Tres Marías, which we drove up for at least two miles as the running water and scenery were just irresistible. When we could drive no more, there were signs of a former ranch, owned by 'Pancho Arce' from 2001. We hiked to the source of the stream water, which was a spring coming through what appeared to be solid rock!

On the return out of the canyon, Ham (using his Google Earth pre-downloaded images) found us another old road to use that bypassed that bad gully we came in on. In no time at all, we were back to Highway One (near Km. 74) and turned north to have a nice beach camp at La Perla.

For dinner, Chef Jesse made us Thai Curry Corvina, finishing up the fish we bought in San Felipe that was kept frozen in Ham's ARB fridge in his high-tech FJ Cruiser. All was good, we slept well! Note: while there were no bugs on the beach where we camped, a short walk away from the beach near the brush would invite an attack of mosquitos... be warned!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Edited on 10-1-2016 by David K]

Udo - 9-30-2016 at 09:41 AM

Can't wait!

David K - 10-1-2016 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Can't wait!

Thanks, Udo, I just edited the post above with a few more days details.. More yet to come!

David K - 10-3-2016 at 09:25 AM

DAY 7:
It is a paved road trip all the way from Bahia Concepcion to Punta Abreojos, then a fast off pavement run to Bahia Asuncion (except for the final few paved miles on the Asuncion highway.

While Hurricane Newton did make a mess in Santa Rosalia, the town was quick to clean up the mess seen in the YouTube videos during the hurricane we had seen. Hwy. 1 had a couple of washouts, but nothing that was a problem for anyone or any semi on the highway.

We got gas in Mulegé and San Ignacio on our way to Bahia Asuncion and got no sense that the gas pumps were rigged.

The 'paved' road into Punta Abreojos was in awful condition with miles and miles of deep pot holes to dodge. It made the Cataviña to L.A. Bay junction stretch of Hwy. 1 seem great as it had only a few holes by comparison.

The La Bocana salt flat road was dry and fast and the graded road from La Bocana to Asuncion was in great shape. We took the fork through San Hipolito and Punta Prieta.

This was Sept. 15, and Mexican Independence Day celebrations begin that evening... we were in for a treat, including fireworks at Bahia Asuncion. Thank you, Shari for showing off your town, it was a special treat for all of us that night!

David K - 10-3-2016 at 12:35 PM

DAY 8:

Just a fun day hanging with Shari at Bahia Asuncion, Playa Loma, and San Roque... Pat and I went looking for sharks teeth in the fossil beds, no luck finding any, however. A great evening of eating fresh sashimi at La Bufadora Inn. I did go to the gas station to top off my tank. 525 pesos for 37.5 liters meant I got 16.3 mpg since San Ignacio.

Day 9:

We leave Bahia Asuncion, the pavement out to Vizcaino on Hwy. 1 is great. We have no immigration check at the Eagle Monument (state border, near Guerrero Negro), just a stop at the office for the big stop sign... but nobody is there or comes out. We take a couple of photos of the 140 ft. tall eagle and head north, setting our clock back one hour as we are back in Pacific Time Zone.

About 22 miles north of the border/ eagle is Villa Jesus María (only the sign now calls it Valle Jesus María) and we stop to fill the gas tanks. It is 10:40am (PDT) and my Tacoma needs 30 liters for 420 pesos for the 140.3 miles from Bahia Asuncion @ 17.8 mpg.

The only other details beyond what was in the trip report for this day is that the road to Las Pintas (and Punta San Carlos) at Km. 80 is a fast graded for the 17.6 miles to the Las Pintas side road... then it is 7 miles to the site... and the miles are all very silty (dusty), unlike my last time in here in 2010. We arrive at 5:30pm with enough light to explore some of the lower part of Las Pintas.

A great evening campfire, no wind, no bugs, and Jesse idea of Dutch oven pizza is a winner!

DAY 10:

We drive out to the highway and arrive in El Rosario, take a quick look at the first Dominican founded California mission there (1774) and go to the Baja Cactus Pemex gas station to fill up.
252 miles driven since Villa Jesus Maria (includes Las Pintas 50 mile side trip), uses 51 liters for 713 pesos which works out to 18.7 mpg.

We take the 3 mile side trip to see La Lobera (Km. 47+), the sea lion crater. The road is in bad shape, very dusty, not maintained since the seafood culture operation closed up two years ago.

See the trip report for more details of the day.

Day 11:

A long drive to the border at Tecate from San Quintin. A couple of unpaved detours as they are widening Hwy. 1 near Santo Tomás and Hwy. 3 south of Tecate.

Top off with some good Mexican gas at Tecate found my Tacoma getting 18.4 mpg on the 247 mile drive from El Rosario (includes side trips to La Lobera and Ron's oyster farm near San Quintin). Gas is a bit cheaper along the border, working out to $2.75/ gallon vs. $2.97 for the rest of Baja.

The border line wait was from 1:30 to 2:10 pm Monday afternoon.

Have a great adventure when you decide to have a Baja Extreme trip! Do contact me if I can be of any service to you: info@vivabaja.com

See more Baja trips and other travel and historic details on my web site: www.vivabaja.com and if you want to know about the discovery of and Spanish occupation of California (called Antigua or Baja California after 1769) using the mission program, get my new book at a book dealer or the publisher directly at www.oldmissions.com
THANK YOU!

When the others process their photos and more videos, I will be sharing them here with you.

Once again, here are Ham's two videos (set to music) filmed during our Baja Extreme Tour 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAWGzW4bR9Q

edm1 - 10-11-2016 at 07:27 PM

Very nice!!! 11 days of extreme Baja with the group intact to the end? Classic!

David K - 10-12-2016 at 11:34 PM

My passenger says he has some really cool videos and he is working on them when he can. :bounce::light::coolup:

bajatrailrider - 10-14-2016 at 08:27 AM

Thank you David the story and pictures enjoyed them much.

China's Taco Stand, Bahia de L.A.

David K - 10-19-2016 at 03:05 PM

Pat took this photo when we were getting tacos and birria at China's ("chee-nah") last month.

This is between the Las Hamacas restaurant and Liz Beth's market and Internet/ phone store... both included in the photo.

Sweatpeas - 10-19-2016 at 03:24 PM

Great thread and awesome adventure

David K - 10-19-2016 at 03:31 PM

Thank you!
Welcome to Nomad...
I am hopeful to see your adventures in Baja unfold and if you think I can help in any way, just ask... u2u, email... call.
David

New video from Pat (Nov. 27)

David K - 11-28-2016 at 10:44 AM

This is Part 3 of Pat's series of videos of the Baja Extreme tour (he has not made Part 2 yet)...

Here again is the link tp Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8cR3TC3rM

[Edited on 11-28-2016 by David K]

BigBearRider - 11-28-2016 at 01:28 PM

You really took these guys on a very nice sightseeing tour. The biggest things missing were whales and the rocket launchers in Cabo. Maybe next time?

David K - 11-28-2016 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
You really took these guys on a very nice sightseeing tour. The biggest things missing were whales and the rocket launchers in Cabo. Maybe next time?

I haven't done then gray whale thing in Baja, myself! If they came in the summer... well maybe then! Cold weather and cold sea water is a real turn-off for us. The fireworks fascination ended with me long ago. Loved them when I was a kid, however!

StuckSucks - 11-28-2016 at 03:20 PM

Thanks for sharing photos, stories and videos! Awesomeness! Admittedly, I had to borrow a few of your locations to add to my Baja Bucket Destination List (I'm building an e-map on Google).

I still haven't nailed down an EXACT location for Montevideo - is it on the southwest side of the canyon?

David K - 11-28-2016 at 05:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Thanks for sharing photos, stories and videos! Awesomeness! Admittedly, I had to borrow a few of your locations to add to my Baja Bucket Destination List (I'm building an e-map on Google).

I still haven't nailed down an EXACT location for Montevideo - is it on the southwest side of the canyon?

Go south on San Borja Rd. 2 miles from L.A. Bay Hwy. (see yellow pins at top).
Go almost 6 miles to the east (left) on minor road (4WD) and alongside that cliff are the paintings...

BigBearRider - 11-28-2016 at 06:33 PM

I haven't done then gray whale thing in Baja, myself! If they came in the summer... well maybe then! Cold weather and cold sea water is a real turn-off for us. The fireworks fascination ended with me long ago. Loved them when I was a kid, however!

I was referring to the grenade launchers used by the gangs in Cabo...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=84981

mtgoat666 - 11-28-2016 at 07:33 PM

In march and April the air and water are plenty warm. GN, SI and mag bay are in the desert, eh.
DK, you need to come up with better excuses, we're not buying it.

David K - 11-28-2016 at 07:40 PM

Goat, we don't do our Baja vacationing until July. The 3 day weekends in late May and early September still isn't whale season. We still might try for a March trip one of these years just for a whale experience and will do it with Shari.
 Pages:  1