BajaNomad

Temp Import Permit for car when you want to stay >180days

Jonah - 9-23-2016 at 10:23 AM

I am driving a van and travel-trailer down to La Paz and plan to leave them there indefinitely. I am just beginning my temporary residency, I did the US consulate part, I just need to do the Mexican immigration part. But at this point no TR visa in-hand. I would like to drive down from Tucson to Topolobampo and take the ferry (for several reasons: half the miles, no mountains to go over with my rig). However I just learned that to go to the state of Sinaloa I have to get a TIP (I believe for both the van and the trailer). I would be fine to do this but I read I have to give a deposit and will get that back when I leave in <180days. I don't plan to leave in 180days because I will have my temp res visa.

I don't think I need a TIP to drive in the Baja Peninsula. It is looking like it is just not going to work to drive the mainland and take the ferry... but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Any advice would be appreciated. I've done both drives so I don't need to hear anything about the road conditions. Thanks.

[Edited on 9-23-2016 by Jonah]

mtgoat666 - 9-23-2016 at 10:31 AM

You are seeking advice on how to break the law in Mexico?
You'll find lots of co-conspirators here!

David K - 9-23-2016 at 10:40 AM

Guaymas to Santa Rosalia ferry is an option, but you will have one big grade to climb, south of Loreto... It was what everyone else does with motorhomes, trailers, busses, semi truck 18-wheelers, so it is not impossible for you, hopefully!

Jonah - 9-23-2016 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Guaymas to Santa Rosalia ferry is an option, but you will have one big grade to climb, south of Loreto... It was what everyone else does with motorhomes, trailers, busses, semi truck 18-wheelers, so it is not impossible for you, hopefully!

David K that is an interesting option. That would avoid a couple big grades. Do you know if you have to have a TIP to take the ferry? Even if it is going between two TIP-free areas?

Thanks!

David K - 9-23-2016 at 11:34 AM

You are in the "Sonora Free Zone" which ends just south of Guaymas (no TIP needed).

However, double check this with Hook or other mainland Mexico Nomads to see if my info is still correct. I have not been to Guaymas in many years!

AKgringo - 9-23-2016 at 11:39 AM

I will be interested to hear about any information you may find. If you learn something from another source, please share it here!

I considered taking that route two years ago driving a small SUV pulling a small utility trailer. I don't remember the numbers well enough to quote them here, but the cost was higher, and the hours crossing longer than I would have expected.

The exchange rate is in your favor since then, but the long passage was a deal breaker for me since I travel with a dog! I read some grim reports from other travelers about the conditions and access to their pets.

Mulegena - 9-24-2016 at 11:32 AM

You might check here: http://www.bajaferries.com

http://www.bajaferries.com/faqs.aspx

[Edited on 9-24-2016 by Mulegena]

fish101 - 9-24-2016 at 07:10 PM

Friends traveled from Santa Rosalia on the ferry to Guaymas last year and did not need a TIP as they were going to Tucson and not further south on the Mainland. But, you can email bajaferries or call them to get the correct information.

daveB - 9-24-2016 at 09:08 PM

The "Hassel-Free area of Sonora does extend just south of Guymas. To that point you will not need TIPs, the temporary import permits. What happens on the other side of the Cortes, I don't know, and that will tell the story if you need TIPs to board the ferry. fish101's reply sounds like you're good to go. Travellers driving other routes with two vehicles, towing, deeper into Mexico need a 10-year permit, and a 180-day TIP plus a deposit, on the towed, to be paid for that, the time which will match their 180-day FMM, (the tourist card) if your situation will require that.

Udo - 9-25-2016 at 07:51 AM

I don't think David K (my good friend) or daveb are yet familiar with the changing of the INM guard in the Sonoyta and Northern Mexican States area.
INM is now strictly enforcing the Temporary Import laws.

There may still be a North America's Hobie championship series in Puerto Peņasco, but quite a number of racers have dropped out because of the now enforced (any boat, including kayaks) TIP. That is a lot of deposits that people will have to pay at the port of entry, in addition to the extra crossing time for the paperwork and bank time.

It has been well publicized that all northern mainland states will now be strictly enforcing all TIPs.

Baja will be the only alternative for no TIP. You will still have to pay the TIP at the La Paz or Guaymas ferry if taking vehicles and boats to the mainland.

I suppose that there IS a way to get to the Mexico Mainland without the TIP, but one will have to cross from Algodones (perhaps Yuma) and points West. Then drive back to the mainland along the Mexican roads. What I don't know is if there is a checkpoint in Mexico south of the San Luis point of entry where one will be stopped and asked for point of entry information.

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by Udo]

daveB - 9-25-2016 at 09:46 AM

Udo. thanks for this new information. It represents quite a turnaround for some travelers crossing into Mexico, hoping to enjoy some time in Sonora. Those "Hassel-Free Zone" signs will have to come down and we know how Mexico hates to remove a sign. Or place one.

JZ - 9-25-2016 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by daveB  
Udo. thanks for this new information. It represents quite a turnaround for some travelers crossing into Mexico, hoping to enjoy some time in Sonora. Those "Hassel-Free Zone" signs will have to come down and we know how Mexico hates to remove a sign. Or place one.

I drive to Sonora from LA 3-4 times a year. There is no turnaround or change.

For a vehicle only, no TIP required until a bit South of Guaymas. If you are taking atvs, dirt bikes, etc., you need a TIP for the vehicle and the additional stuff (1 TIP covers vehicle and toys). Not 100% on a trailer, but assume it's the same.

You can do it online and they will mail it to you. Not that big of a deal. https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/. They are good for up to six month.

For a boat over 4.5 meters you need a 10 year TIP in Baja or the mainland. Kayaks, Jetskis, and inflatables are exempt in Baja.

I suspect you'll need a permit for jetskis/trailer on the mainland, but not 100% sure. Doubt you need them for a kayak, but not 100%.

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by JZ]

moisheh - 9-25-2016 at 12:52 PM

UDO: I think you are giving out some dubious information. Where did you read that there will be no more no hassle zone in Sonora? Or did you just mean that they will be enforcing the TIP program in Sonora OUTSIDE the no hassle zone? Just A few months ago there was talk of the no hassle zone extending to Alamos

gnukid - 9-25-2016 at 01:15 PM

Udo is confusing cars and boats, the poster is asking about a car, which does not require a TIP in Baja or the free zone including Sonora.

Boat TIP is required for any boat bigger than 4.5meters long throughout the country.

David K - 9-25-2016 at 01:56 PM

Udo has kayaks on the roof of his FJ and that makes it need a TIP, apparently.

Udo - 9-25-2016 at 02:44 PM

Sonora is no longer a free zone...the new guard has changed that.

If you wish to make conjectures, go ahead, however...SONORA INM has changed.

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Udo is confusing cars and boats, the poster is asking about a car, which does not require a TIP in Baja or the free zone including Sonora.

Boat TIP is required for any boat bigger than 4.5meters long throughout the country.

Udo - 9-25-2016 at 02:47 PM

I got my information from the Hobie Cat racers (i get their newsletters). They are losing many racers because Sonora is no longer a free zone and they are having to pay a TIP for any car AND watercraft being brought in. Including recreational kayaks.

Other than that I have no official information from the Mexican government (whom you know that they make up things as they go depending on who you speak with).

Quote: Originally posted by moisheh  
UDO: I think you are giving out some dubious information. Where did you read that there will be no more no hassle zone in Sonora? Or did you just mean that they will be enforcing the TIP program in Sonora OUTSIDE the no hassle zone? Just A few months ago there was talk of the no hassle zone extending to Alamos

INM and TIP

bajaguy - 9-25-2016 at 02:52 PM

I don't think INM has anything to do with a Temporary Import Permit. Maybe Aduana, SAT or Hacienda

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by bajaguy]

Udo - 9-25-2016 at 03:04 PM

What is ADUNA?

bajaguy - 9-25-2016 at 03:17 PM

Customs (Aduana = sorry, left off an "a")

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
What is ADUNA?

JZ - 9-25-2016 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I got my information from the Hobie Cat racers (i get their newsletters). They are losing many racers because Sonora is no longer a free zone and they are having to pay a TIP for any car AND watercraft being brought in. Including recreational kayaks.

Other than that I have no official information from the Mexican government (whom you know that they make up things as they go depending on who you speak with).

A. Sonora has always wanted a TIP for boats. Nothing has changed in the last several years. I've had one for more than 10 years.

B. INM is immigration, it has nothing to do with vehicles. Aduana is the Mexican customs, they deal with importation rules.

C. I suspect if you have a TIP for your boat (including trailer) you don't need one for your truck, but I'm not 100%.

D. I doubt you need one for kayaks, but again not 100%. If you are bringing them in on a trailer, maybe.

I'll ask the next time I go down. I generally get a six month permit for my truck and 3 dirt bikes (one permit for all).

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by JZ]

moisheh - 9-25-2016 at 04:04 PM

Wow !! Like I said one poster is spouting information that is false!! To take some info from a newsletter and suddenly the whole no hassle zone is changing?? Obviously someone that does not know the difference between Aduana and INM is not a valid source of anything related to TIP's

Alm - 9-26-2016 at 02:08 PM

Kayaks and canoes don't require TIP. Only "boats", and only those longer than 14ft.

Alm - 9-26-2016 at 02:17 PM

Like I said one poster is spouting information that is false!!

As is most of the info spouted here when it's not related to habitual BN area :)

All other info you will find to be mostly correct, save for aberrations due to not reading or not thinking or too much afternoon tequila :)

David K - 9-26-2016 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Kayaks and canoes don't require TIP. Only "boats", and only those longer than 14ft.

I said "apparently" since NON-BOAT hauling Nomads say they have no TIP to go to Guaymas.

Alm - 9-26-2016 at 05:00 PM

I wasn't asked a single question when crossing with kayak on the roof, even though they pulled me off for secondary inspection. They only looked into c-ckpit to make sure I'm not hiding anything.

Never heard about them asking TIP with kayaks and canoes.

Btw, Sta Rosalia ferry prices are HORRIBLE. Check the website for total cost of travel trailer, truck and driver (everything counted separately). There is no mountain on Hwy one that a truck with travel trailer couldn't climb, just go slow uphill. Climbed that famous hill north of Sta Rosalia, going Northbound, with 26ft trailer and half-ton truck.

JZ - 9-26-2016 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
I wasn't asked a single question when crossing with kayak on the roof, even though they pulled me off for secondary inspection. They only looked into c-ckpit to make sure I'm not hiding anything.

Never heard about them asking TIP with kayaks and canoes.

Btw, Sta Rosalia ferry prices are HORRIBLE. Check the website for total cost of travel trailer, truck and driver (everything counted separately). There is no mountain on Hwy one that a truck with travel trailer couldn't climb, just go slow uphill. Climbed that famous hill north of Sta Rosalia, going Northbound, with 26ft trailer and half-ton truck.

You are confusing the situation. No import permit in Baja for sure for jetskis, kayaks. Same for dirt bikes/atvs.

Different rules in Sonora. Definitely need them for bikes/atvs. I doubt strongly for Kayaks, but Udo is arguing you do.

You are also mixing up import permit for a boat (TIP) and one needed for a car when pulling or carrying other stuff.

[Edited on 9-27-2016 by JZ]

Alm - 9-27-2016 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

You are confusing the situation.

Not me.

There is no TIP for cars or travel trailers - neither in Baja nor in Sonora up to (at least) Guaymas. About bikes and ATV the OP didn't ask. But again, with the costs of ferry crossing with TT and pickup, I would rather go around.

There are no TIP for kayaks in Baja, and this is first time I hear about it needing TIP in North Sonora zone. Udo must've peeed Aduaneros off in some way ;)

PS: does this robotic editor really have to change words like c.ockpit and p.issed?

[Edited on 9-27-2016 by Alm]

RVGRINGO - 9-29-2016 at 09:53 AM

Aduana = Customs
INM = Immigration
Banjercito = where you pay fees/deposits

surabi - 10-5-2016 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jonah  
I am driving a van and travel-trailer down to La Paz and plan to leave them there indefinitely. I am just beginning my temporary residency, I did the US consulate part, I just need to do the Mexican immigration part. But at this point no TR visa in-hand. I would like to drive down from Tucson to Topolobampo and take the ferry (for several reasons: half the miles, no mountains to go over with my rig). However I just learned that to go to the state of Sinaloa I have to get a TIP (I believe for both the van and the trailer). I would be fine to do this but I read I have to give a deposit and will get that back when I leave in <180days. I don't plan to leave in 180days because I will have my temp res visa.

I don't think I need a TIP to drive in the Baja Peninsula. It is looking like it is just not going to work to drive the mainland and take the ferry... but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Any advice would be appreciated. I've done both drives so I don't need to hear anything about the road conditions. Thanks.

surabi - 10-5-2016 at 09:11 PM

This is for the original poster.
You are uninformed re your vehicle permit and your temporary residency.

180 day permits are for those entering as tourists.

Under no circumstance should you enter as a tourist, as this will result in your pre-approval for temp residency being declared invalid by INM and you will have to start the process over from scratch at a consulate up north.
You are not entering as a tourist nor as a resident- you are in process with INM, and you need to make sure that immigration where you cross gets this and marks your FMM accordingly. I think you are entering under what they call a "canje"

I canīt speak to how the vehicles in your situation are handled when entering in Baja, as I live on the mainland. And how it works here is that when you actually get your temporary residency, you have 15 days to notify Aduana in Mexico City by mail of your new residency status. Failure to do so means you will never get your deposit back and your vehicle will actually be considered to be in Mexico illegally once the time limit on the TIP you were given when you entered expires.

Your vehicle can then remain in Mexico for the length of your temporary residency. If you got it for a year, it will run out in a year. Every time you renew your residency, you have to renotify Aduana in order to keep your vehicle legal here. So if next year you renew your temp. res. for 3 years and notify Aduana of this, your vehicle will be good for another 3 years, etc.