BajaNomad

Snorkelling in April?

SunDevil - 9-5-2003 at 01:49 PM

Hello All:

Any recommendations for where to plan a snorkelling trip in April for a family with two teens?

We will be flying in from Seattle and spending a week.

Thanks

Snorkeling in April

Debra - 9-5-2003 at 02:10 PM

I too live near Seattle (Port Orchard) (we all know this isn't were we want to do 'that' ) with that said, I have snorkeled in Dec. in Los Cabos, La Paz, Loreto and Mulege WONDERFUL!......I have also borrowed sweats in Baha de Los Angeles in April just to get my cup of coffee in the AM.....with that said,......snorkeling is best done WAY SOUTH....... at that time of year, or Hawaii or the Caribbean....Summer or Oct. is best for that kind of activity in Baja.....Go over to San Ignacio and pet the whales in April, memories for a life time!

A little disagreement

Stephanie Jackter - 9-5-2003 at 02:36 PM

April is perfect for snorkelling in the Los Cabos area. Go to Chileno or Santa Maria Beaches. If you're sensitive to cool water, go buy a "shorty" insulated suit at any outdoor shop. I just saw some at Popular yesterday for only 30 bucks. They come in particularly handy for skinny kids who chill easily.

I beleve the whales at Ignacio will have already departed by the middle of March. At least that's the end of the season farther south at Lopez Mateos.

The only possible bummer about vacationing in Mexico in April is that is when Semana Santa vacations, which is the biggest travel and camping holiday for Mexicans and lasts between 2 and 3 weeks despite it's one week sounding name. The beaches will be packed with campers, lots of people littering and lots of noise. Communing with nature in those circumstances can be a bit of a challenge.

If you can check the federal school calendar and get there the week before Semana Santa begins, you will probably enjoy the nature a lot more.

Having said that, if you're into communing with the Mexican people, you couldn't pick a better time to go and might well strike up some rewarding new relationships. - Stephanie

Whale Watching

Mike Humfreville - 9-5-2003 at 04:18 PM

We've done this a number of times and the schedule remains approximately as follows (based on what several of the folks at Laguna San Ignacio have told us and our personal experience)

At both Lagunas San Ignacio and Scammons, birthing is done early in the year. By early February the pups and moms are swimming together. The males are generally, at that point, a pain for the mom/pup pairs. By March the males are heading back north and the moms and pups truly begin bonding. Early April is (typically) when they are the most friendly. Then they head north usually before the end of April. I posted a report of our trip in Feb on Amigos. Of course it's gone now. SunDevil, if you decide to change your plans and watch the whales and want to read the report, I'll repost it on nomad General Disc. Center, or I can e-mail it to you. Regardless of where you go, snorkling or whale watching, both are great in Baja.

Snorkeling in April

SunDevil - 9-8-2003 at 02:08 PM

Thanks to everyone for the good information.

Does anyone have any recommendations for East Cape accommodations? Usually we try to stay someplace with a kitchen.

Will we need a car to get around?

Thanks again,

Henry