BajaNomad

Pan-Seared Cheese

bajacalifornian - 11-8-2016 at 11:20 AM

From the appetizer menu at a favorite restaurant in Rosarito, I tried the
"Fried Cheese". Liked it so well I've been trying it at each camp we stay.

If you chase it down, look instead at "seared cheese" . . . which is all it is.

You will find several cheeses to try.

Alfredo, owner at the restaurant Tapanco in Rosarito, uses Baby Jack cheese. Comes with fine virtues for the purpose.

Through my trials . . .

- Pan must to be hot. Water drop siizzles away quickly.
- Thin spatula will better separate the crust from the pan.
- Ready to turn when crust appears around the edges . . . early as 15-20 seconds on a pretty hot pan.
- If cheese begins to melt, you've gone long.

Still working on it. I like the crust.

shari - 11-8-2016 at 01:28 PM

I sear and fry Queso Frescos( dry hot pan...no oil!)...and try to choose the driest fresh ranch cheese for that....I cut it in 1" fingers..about 3" long and they are soooooo yummmy...the brown up real nice....my mouth is watering just thinking about it so I am going to sear some up right now!
Saludos amigo!

[Edited on 11-8-2016 by shari]

stiladam - 11-8-2016 at 02:03 PM

I actually do this sometimes to finish both sides of my omelettes. When timed right you get a nice crispy cheese finish that simply amazing

bajabuddha - 11-8-2016 at 03:44 PM

You can also splash in a tbsp. of brandy on top of the cheese right after it hits the pan, and jump the flame into the pan; the flambé goes out about the same time the cheese is done. I learned it using Greek Kasseri cheese and Metaxa..... I would imagine some El Presidente would work good with a dry goat's cheese as well.

Meany - 11-8-2016 at 06:52 PM

Russ are you getting all this. Mr Cheese King. Sounds good to me.:bounce:

BornFisher - 11-9-2016 at 08:17 AM

Make some up and serve it with white Wonder bread and we`ll have a party for those who are deplorable!!!

Daventec - 5-2-2019 at 11:45 AM

Will recommend this to my brother. He loves cheese!

Paco Facullo - 5-2-2019 at 01:44 PM

Probably impossible to find in Baja but if your in the states you can always bring some down,

Halloumi cheese, it is best BBQ'd but also works well fried .. It doesn't melt like most other cheese's..

Sheri, I am certainly going to give fried Queso Fresco a go....

msteve1014 - 5-2-2019 at 03:16 PM

Queso panela is great fried or on the bbq.

shari - 5-2-2019 at 04:46 PM

it is crucial for the queso fresco to be very fresh and as dry and firm as possible...I always feel up the cheese before I buy it...and sniff it. The watery stuff is ok in salads but the fry cheese needs to be skookum...firm and fresh. I often pop it in the cast iron pan with the bacon grease...that's the way...uh huh....uh huh I like it...

msteve1014 - 5-2-2019 at 05:00 PM

chicharrones de queso

Paco Facullo - 5-2-2019 at 05:01 PM

"I always feel up the cheese before I buy it...and sniff it. "

I think that Sheri REALLY Loves her cheese !:bounce:

pacificobob - 5-3-2019 at 04:18 PM

apparently, literally.