BajaNomad

How can I get an empty case to La Paz?

joerover - 11-21-2016 at 09:13 PM

I have a bicycle case I would like to get to La Paz. It is 26 x 26 x 10 inches. 61.9 liner inches. It weighs 17 pounds. Around the beginning of December I hope to find someone going to La Paz. Perhaps I could DHL it to someone who lives in La Paz.

Then I plan to ride my Bicycle to la Paz, collect the case, and fly back around the beginning of February.

What is a reasonable price to pay someone for transporting, and or keeping a case for two months?

Some people smarter than me took the time to map out a bicycle route.
https://bajadivide.com/mapping/
Maybe the map master, David K or some of the moto riders will take a look at the section around El Arco. To me that looks like the most questionable part of their route.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17688817

[Edited on 11-22-2016 by joerover]

shipping

John M - 11-22-2016 at 08:51 AM

A couple of years ago I sent a dune buggy racing seat to a fellow in Mulege.

I took it to my United Parcel Service (UPS) - I had mickey-moused a cardboard box covering it completely, wrapped securely.

They took it without question. My understanding was that they take it to San Diego/San Ysidro where it is picked up by a Baja shipping service - all arranged by UPS.

I'm not recalling but I thought the cost was reasonable.

John M

Phil C - 11-22-2016 at 09:15 AM

Aerocalifia has counter to counter package service Tijuana to La Paz

DENNIS - 11-22-2016 at 09:17 AM

FedEx is here too.

monoloco - 11-22-2016 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

FedEx is here too.
Yeah, they charged me $60 to ship an outboard impeller.

DENNIS - 11-22-2016 at 10:31 AM

If I were in the mood to build a stock portfolio, it would be stuffed with residential shipping companies such as UPS and FedEx. Amazon will be the last retailer standing and shipping is their strong point.

woody with a view - 11-22-2016 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

FedEx is here too.

with few other options, that was prolly $60 well spent!:light:

mojo_norte - 11-22-2016 at 01:01 PM

I'd post on the Baja Pony Express and try and hook up with a kiteboarder heading down to La Ventana for the season. Fedex / DHL would probably be real expensive .

Hook - 11-22-2016 at 02:09 PM

Didnt we just cover this a few months back?

Fill the case with Pacificos and post it on Nomads, that you need the case brought south and stored.

I guarantee you the case will be empty when it arrives, or shortly thereafter.

And it wont be no sixty bucks.

DENNIS - 11-22-2016 at 02:14 PM

See how simple things can be?

joerover - 11-22-2016 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
I'd post on the Baja Pony Express and try and hook up with a kiteboarder heading down to La Ventana for the season. Fedex / DHL would probably be real expensive .

baja pony express?

Case of beer? you want the beer up front, or when I pick the case up in La Paz? Would 2 cases be better?

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Didnt we just cover this a few months back?

Fill the case with Pacificos and post it on Nomads, that you need the case brought south and stored.

I guarantee you the case will be empty when it arrives, or shortly thereafter.

And it wont be no sixty bucks.

I did ask the same question a few months back. Now it is almost time to go. Time to find the answer. Would the case be safer if I give the beer in La Paz, instead of right before the 1,000 mile drive?

[Edited on 11-23-2016 by joerover]

joerover - 11-24-2016 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

FedEx is here too.

There is a dhl office in Ensenada. Do you think it would be cheaper to ship without crossing the border?

I still need someone or someplace to ship it too.
Any Ideas?

woody with a view - 11-24-2016 at 09:29 AM

send it to the post office addressed to you.

micah202 - 11-24-2016 at 11:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
send it to the post office addressed to you.

...........and hope yer make it! :cool:

joerover - 11-25-2016 at 07:27 PM

A person living in La Paz or a person driving to La Paz is who I hope to find.

I want to ride my bicycle down the back roads of Baja, collect my case in La Paz, and fly back, with my bicycle safe and secure in the case.

mtgoat666 - 11-25-2016 at 10:17 PM

Suggest you put your request on facebook, at talkbaja, and a couple of the Baja-centric bicycle riding pages on FB. There are active online bike communities in TJ, San Vicente, GN, La Paz - they all got FB pages where you can put out your request.

joerover - 11-26-2016 at 06:13 PM

I do not facebook.

A retired couple in a motor home headed for La Paz, for the winter, or an expat living in La Paz, that I could DHL the case too, is what I hope to find.
My bicycle frame splits in two and fits in an airline legal case. How do I get the case to La Paz 6 or 7 weeks ahead of myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHbyEnpmg6w&index=1&...

mojo_norte - 11-26-2016 at 07:50 PM

Take the bus back ?

joerover - 11-26-2016 at 08:13 PM

Bus,
25 hours on linea ABC. Last time I checked, 6 years ago it wsa over 2,000 pesos. How much is a ticket from la Paz to TJ now?

Air
1 hour?
My ticket on volaris was $68 one way. I paid another $35 for oversized sporting equiptment.

If I get the case to la Paz It should be free to fly. If not I have to ride my older mt bike. Thinner tires, more pushing, wrapped in plastic for the trip to tj, no big loss if the samsonite lugage monkey trashes it on the plane. The Ritchey breakaway bike is a lot nicer. It needs a hard case to protect it. I had to pay for that frame.

Ironically,
If I ride the old 95 Mongoose Alta, I have to spend $200, (more than the bike cost), on new tubeless ready rims.
http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/cliff-hanger-559

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4KDophQYU0&index=3&...

[Edited on 11-27-2016 by joerover]

BajaBlanca - 11-26-2016 at 08:27 PM

ok there are some options: I have many students studying in la paz and you could send it to any one of them.

I also have a friend who is on warm showers and offers housing to bikers....I have never been to that site, but she told me about it.

Let me know what you prefer and we can take it from there. This has to be done sooner than later since on or before Dec. 10 as all the kids leave on vacation then!

joerover - 11-26-2016 at 09:02 PM

I could ship the case from Ensenada by dhl on the 2nd of december.
Do you know if any of the students will be in La Paz on the 5th or 6th of february? I fly north on the 8th of feb 2017. Let me check my ticket to be sure of the date.
If you know your warm showers friend to be honest and reliable perhaps she would be a better choice. I did not think to try the warm showers site.

I had a thought in my head to pay $50, or what ever that equals in pesos to someone when I pick the case up. Not because I am nice or generous, but because I think they could not sell it for more than $50.

Warm showers. I have been a member since 2008 or so. There were less than 300 members when I signed up. I have never used it.
The one time I asked for a place to store my bike, while I was hiking in North Cascade National Park, the guy said ok. I forgot to write down the directions and could not find the house. I stached my bike behind some bushes 200 yards off the trail. The ranger found it. 30 miles away the other ranger somehow knew it was my bike.

joerover - 11-27-2016 at 04:48 PM

looks like there are six warmshowers icons in La Paz. Only one seems to be active. Her profile says "un poco de ingles" Maybe someone will help me translate this note to proper spanish.

Hello.
I will be riding to La Paz. I do not really need a place to stay. What I do need is an address to ship my bicycle case to. I would like to send my case to La Paz, around the begining of december then pick it up around the begining of February, perhaps the 5th day of february. I will be happy to pay for a safe place to keep my bicycle case until I arive.
Thank you.

I guess I could use google translate, but if a live person would help me it would sound better. How does this look?

Hola.
Voy a viajar a La Paz. Realmente no necesito un lugar para alojarse. Lo que sí necesito es una dirección para enviar mi caso de bicicleta a. Me gustaría enviar mi caso a La Paz, a principios de diciembre y luego recogerlo a principios de febrero, tal vez el 5 de febrero. Estaré encantado de pagar por un lugar seguro para guardar mi maletín de bicicletas hasta que llegue.
Gracias.

Sorry to be so much trouble, but my bicycle is important to me.

BajaBlanca - 11-27-2016 at 06:30 PM

Tuly is wonderful! A very close friend and she loves biking. She only speaks a little of English but she has visitors every day and she somehow gets by!

She is your best bet as she is an adult but my students are an option and yes, they will be there in February. They could use the $50 for SURE. I keep them on a minimum budget and money is tight tight.

U2U me.

I can take it.

fixtrauma - 11-27-2016 at 07:56 PM

We are leaving the Willamette Valley January 6 for La Paz in a motorhome and have room to take your case if you have not made other arraignments. We are taking our time to get to La Paz but will be there towards the end of January.

We are staying at Campestre Maranatha RV park km-11 just before La Paz and will keep it for you there. It is 3 miles from the La Paz airport. Let me know if that is what you want and can make arraignments to get it us before we leave.

BajaBlanca - 11-28-2016 at 05:48 PM

and I can take it too! see your u2u

joerover - 11-28-2016 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fixtrauma  
We are leaving the Willamette Valley January 6 for La Paz in a motorhome and have room to take your case if you have not made other arraignments. We are taking our time to get to La Paz but will be there towards the end of January.

We are staying at Campestre Maranatha RV park km-11 just before La Paz and will keep it for you there. It is 3 miles from the La Paz airport. Let me know if that is what you want and can make arraignments to get it us before we leave.

It cost $48 to mail the case from Milwaukee to Seattle a couple of years ago. So I will guess San Diego to Oregon is about the same. Are you in Lebanon. 20 years ago my girlfriend had a sister in Lebanon Or. I remember taking their dog for a walk, and every person said good morning to me. Not a few people, but each person I passed on the sidewalk.
Not like that in San Diego.

Are you certain you will be in La Paz before the 5th of February? It would be less effort for me to mail it from San Diego. Compared to draging it through the streets of TJ and then Ensenada.

The case contains some padding for the bike. Pieces of fabric with velcro sewed on to them. So the bike can be shipped safely. It weighs 17 pounds.

Check your U2U joerover.

fixtrauma - 11-28-2016 at 10:29 PM

[Edited on 11-29-2016 by fixtrauma]

joerover - 11-29-2016 at 07:00 PM

I sent a u2u back.
I will call in a couple of days when I get home.

joerover - 12-3-2016 at 10:47 AM

I sent you another u2u.
There is a typo in your phone number,

thanks