BajaNomad

Marijuana Mexico to California

BajaMama - 12-3-2016 at 08:17 AM

I am curious - now that marijuana is legal in California, can travelers now bring marijuana across the border from Mexico into the USA at a California border crossing? I am not discussing the stupidity of bringing marijuana into Mexico, just bringing it back into the USA.

DaliDali - 12-3-2016 at 08:29 AM

Federal agents are at the border and Federal agents enforce Federal laws.
Take your chances.

mtgoat666 - 12-3-2016 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I am curious - now that marijuana is legal in California, can travelers now bring marijuana across the border from Mexico into the USA at a California border crossing? I am not discussing the stupidity of bringing marijuana into Mexico, just bringing it back into the USA.

yes, you can bring pot across the border. Of course, if feds catch you, you will be charged in federal court.
The California law has nothing to do with federal law.
(Early indications are that the trumpistas and GOP will be much more anti-pot than obama admin... still boggles my mind that white unemployed and working poor pot smokers voted for trump)

bajaguy - 12-3-2016 at 08:35 AM

To answer your questions (s).....no

DaliDali - 12-3-2016 at 09:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

(Early indications are that the trumpistas and GOP will be much more anti-pot than obama admin... still boggles my mind that white unemployed and working poor pot smokers voted for trump)

I suppose those white unemployed and working poor placed more weight on the prospects of an improved economy over their dope useage.

The liar could only propose building millions of solar panels and taxing someone more as her main economic message..

willardguy - 12-3-2016 at 10:02 AM

well that didn't take long! :lol:

Hook - 12-3-2016 at 10:10 AM

yes, you can bring pot across the border. Of course, if feds catch you, you will be charged in federal court.
The California law has nothing to do with federal law.

Please share with us some FACTS, instead of speculation, concerning these "early indications".

Unless, of course, it's something from Salon...........that publication is like the left-wing, Bizarro World version of Breitbart and Fox News.

Sweetwater - 12-3-2016 at 10:19 AM

Marijuana = Federal Schedule 1 same as heroin or meth.

Trump is a state's rights guy so individual state freedoms should ring the bell. Unless "Mad Dog" thinks it will impact his Secretary of War position.

But seriously, the patchwork of state laws with regards to both medical and recreational marijuana have the potential to stage a significant conflict between the Federal and State jurisdictions. How many of those states gave Trump electoral votes, he seems to be somewhat vindictive...

Hook - 12-3-2016 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
whats amazing to me is that americans think marijuana in baja comes from mexico...

ha...it's transported across by americans and Canadians and goes SOUTH not NORTH

they just don't use the tunnels : )

There is plenty of Mexican mota where I live. Very cheap. No reason to bring pot south, unless you just have to have pot with stratospheric THC levels.

Any pot being brought down by any gringos is 99.9% for personal consumption. Why would anyone smuggle into a land where pot is 1/20 the price?

Really, Bob, you spend too much time in that white, ivory lighthouse of yours. You need to get out more. Your Mexico bears no resemblance to the one many of us live in.

mtgoat666 - 12-3-2016 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
whats amazing to me is that americans think marijuana in baja comes from mexico...

ha...it's transported across by americans and Canadians and goes SOUTH not NORTH

There is plenty of Mexican mota where I live. Very cheap. No reason to bring pot south, unless you just have to have pot with stratospheric THC levels.

Any pot being brought down by any gringos is 99.9% for personal consumption. Why would anyone smuggle into a land where pot is 1/20 the price?

Really, Bob, you spend too much time in that white, ivory lighthouse of yours. You need to get out more. Your Mexico bears no resemblance to the one many of us live in.

Bob,
BC and BCS are pot exporters. The peninsula is also a pot shipping corridor, part of the drug pipeline from Latin America to USA, USA is largest drug consumer in the world.

Bajazly - 12-3-2016 at 11:58 AM

I asked the same question to my buddies when we were driving home last week and the answer was about the same as it is here.

A few months ago I was having a conversation with a border patrol agent and asked if I brought more than a liter of booze back with me could I just pay the duty and be done with it. The answer was a resounding NO! As a Californian we are only allowed 1 liter every 30 days, however, If I were a Texan, I could bring 10 liters back every 30 days. Even crossing into Cali it would be OK because that is the Texas state law and the feds respect the laws of the state in which you are a resident.

It seems pretty much the same thing to me and who knows how it will be interpreted in the coming months. I won't be the one testing the waters on this one but this country need to get over the ridiculous war on pot. There is too much money to be saved and made on the legalization of it.

JoeJustJoe - 12-3-2016 at 12:53 PM

It's almost a dumb question to ask on two fronts, " if it's OK to bring Mexican marijuana" over the US/Mexican border back into the US, given the behavior of the jack booted thugs, the US Custom agents( ICE) and equally bad border patrol, federal agents.

But given the psychotic, multiple personality laws or differences between state and federal drug laws, it's not surprising the laws cause confusion especially since so many states recently passed laws in favor of Marijuana use among it's citizens for persona use.So it's actually a good question.

In the past during the Bush administration, they really didn't care what local or state laws were passed, they were going to enforce Federal drug laws, but during the Obama, administration, there was more of a lax attitude towards enforcing federal drug laws against pot smokers, especially in states like California that allowed medical marijuana.

Sadly, with the election of Trump, and the pick of Jeff Sessions, as Attorney General, we are probably headed back to 50's as far as marijuana drug laws are concerned, when it was believed marijuana was one of the worse drugs in the world.

No doubt the Trump administration, will selectively bring back "stop and frisk to urban cities for at least the darker-skinned individuals as recent studies have shown, the police were randomly stopping mostly dark-skinned minorities in places like NYC, even if drug usage was about the same among whites or blacks.

The only other comment I will make is, why would an American want to bring Mexican marijuana, over the border to the US side, when most marijuana connoisseurs, know with the recent favorable laws in many states in the US, that now American made marijuana, is so much better than the illegal stuff coming from Mexico. Now it's the American marijuana being smuggled to Mexico.

The only thing Mexican marijuana, has going for it........is it's cheap in price.

[Edited on 12-3-2016 by JoeJustJoe]

David K - 12-3-2016 at 01:01 PM

Bob, both Graham Mackintosh and I have written about walking into active pot farms in Baja. His was east of San Quintin and mine was west of San Felipe. The key of knowing where it had been grown is finding drip irrigation tube in canyons with water.

monoloco - 12-3-2016 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
I asked the same question to my buddies when we were driving home last week and the answer was about the same as it is here.

A few months ago I was having a conversation with a border patrol agent and asked if I brought more than a liter of booze back with me could I just pay the duty and be done with it. The answer was a resounding NO! As a Californian we are only allowed 1 liter every 30 days, however, If I were a Texan, I could bring 10 liters back every 30 days. Even crossing into Cali it would be OK because that is the Texas state law and the feds respect the laws of the state in which you are a resident.

It seems pretty much the same thing to me and who knows how it will be interpreted in the coming months. I won't be the one testing the waters on this one but this country need to get over the ridiculous war on pot. There is too much money to be saved and made on the legalization of it.

That is interesting.
I have no legal residency in the USA so I wonder how much I can bring across for my next camping trip to the USA.
They explained to me that you are only allowed to bring one liter into California, except for out of state residents transiting California on a common carrier. And only if your particular state's law allows it.

sancho - 12-3-2016 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  

I believe the DEA had a chance to review that classification
a few months back, they declined, one would assume because
reclassification would result in a decrease in their work load,
authority,
probably affect staffing. Those overpaid, just putting time
for retirement Govt. employees don't want anyone to
mess with their golden goose. Is a bit confusing that
Border Patrol spend $$$ to apprehend a backpack
carried across in the desert, while a few miles
away in San Diego it is sold in a strip mall medicinal
shop

[Edited on 12-3-2016 by sancho]

Hook - 12-3-2016 at 03:03 PM

Ok, that common carrier clause explains why they wont let me take more, even as a resident of South Dakota. ;)

Barry A. - 12-3-2016 at 03:12 PM

Bob----------you can believe David K on this as I have seen as least one of the same that he has seen "west of San Felipe", and as a prior drug-enforcement agent/ranger I recognize pot-gardens when I see them, or even when near them due to lots of tell-tale signs around water sources as well as the plastic pipes. Nobody would be planting "tomatoes" in the sites that I have seen in Baja---way too troublesome and no profit-incentive to harvest "tomatoes" at them. I don't have any photos either. Reasonable remoteness plus semi-reliable water is a magnet for illegal pot growers, north or south of the USA border..

Barry A. - 12-3-2016 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

authority,
shop

The Federal Laws are made by Congress, not the DEA. If the laws need changing, then Congress needs to do it. In the mean time, the reality is that Fed. LE agents will enforce the laws on the books as that is their primary job and they are sworn to do it, regardless of what the present Administration advises or wishes. Rumors to the contrary are way over-blown.

sancho - 12-3-2016 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

Nobody would be planting "tomatoes" in the sites that I have seen in Baja---way too troublesome and no profit-incentive to harvest "tomatoes" at them.

Might just be me. but I believe Bob's post may have a bit of
sarcasim. maybe a bit fictious, maybe not to be taken as
literal

David K - 12-3-2016 at 04:25 PM

Thanks Barry, you are correct... the site I found was beyond any auto road, about a mile + hike up a canyon to the "project". For giggles we Amigos de Baja called it a "cilantro farm"

Also, I have had local ranchers tell me about the pot growing in another (nearby) canyon and that the military came in and destroyed it... You see machete hacked up drip tube in that canyon.

The photo I took of the field being prepared for planting was posted and is in my website. There were many bags of fertilizer on the site, brought in by burro!

Read Graham's second book, 'Journey with a Baja Burro' for the details on the pot farm he walked in upon.

This is a very common thing in the remote canyons and valleys of Baja... maybe norte more than Sur?

Timo1 - 12-3-2016 at 04:31 PM

With the availability on pot on both sides of the border one has to wonder why anyone would be stupid enough to risk having your trip turn into a nightmare. Doesn't compute here

Barry A. - 12-3-2016 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Timo1  
I have GOT to meet you one day Barry

LOL---------It just dawned on me what you meant, and I IMMEDIATELY deleted my post before anymore saw it-------I do tend to be slow sometimes. :rolleyes:

David K - 12-3-2016 at 05:09 PM

I saw it Barry... it's okay, it happens to all of us! Good save, however.

Timo1 - 12-3-2016 at 05:14 PM

Happened to me once too but then I got deleted.....What were we talking about ????

Barry A. - 12-3-2016 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Timo1  
Happened to me once too but then I got deleted.....What were we talking about ????

People that are stupid for building jeep roads to illegal pot gardens when on vacation and pleasure trips into Mexico or the USA wildlands, and were in danger of being deleted, or something like that, I think.

sancho - 12-3-2016 at 07:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

The Federal Laws are made by Congress, not the DEA.

Well not exactly, but you're in the ballpark:
"Two federal agencies, the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Food and Drug Administration, determine which substances are added to or removed from the various schedules, although the statute passed by Congress created the initial listing".

Timo1 - 12-3-2016 at 08:02 PM

Wheeeeew !!!!

mtgoat666 - 12-3-2016 at 09:37 PM

Now that California allows personal grows up to 6 plants, 12% of USA market for pot just disappeared. Who would buy pot when it is LEgal to grow 3 to 6 pounds per year of high quality bud in your backyard?
I'm not sure why anyone would pay for pot in California when its legal to grow your own, eh?

Me, I couldn't smoke an ounce in a year, so I may have to give away several pounds per year.

_------

Btw, when traveling in forest service areas and BLM lands outside of the popular public use areas, it's quite dangerous as you'll often run across illegal growers in the out of the way areas,... watch out! If you venture out of bounds

redhilltown - 12-4-2016 at 12:22 AM

"On a (almost) Sunday morning message board
I'm wishing, Lord, that I was stoned"

surfinggrandpa71 - 12-4-2016 at 05:00 AM

Hands down the dumbest question I have ever seen on this website.

BajaMama - 12-4-2016 at 09:00 AM

Thank you for the feedback. I personally don't think it was a dumb question, I was just curious. Now that it is legal in CA I can say I take a puff about every six months - I purchased some legally in Oregon just for the fun of it, but it was illegal at the time to cross into CA with it, so in Oregon it stayed. I have a SENTRI pass so I would not even try to cross with an illegal substance. But it makes sense that the federal laws would trump (no pun intended). state laws at the border.

And for the hijackers, Trump is an idiot.

pacificobob - 12-4-2016 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by surfinggrandpa71  

Is this helpful....??

no not helpful. however it serves folks with low self esteem to feel good to pee on the cornflakes of others

[Edited on 12-4-2016 by pacificobob]

mtgoat666 - 12-4-2016 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by surfinggrandpa71  

Is this helpful....??

Is your question about helpfulness helpful?

motoged - 12-4-2016 at 09:19 AM

....Me, I couldn't smoke an ounce in a year, so I may have to give away several pounds per year.

_-----

Hey, Goat....I will forward a shipping address.... :biggrin:

DaliDali - 12-4-2016 at 09:32 AM

If Trump is an idiot, what does that make you when you're asking if it's ok to smuggle dope across the US border, manned with Federal agents with the power to search your knickers and that dope is illegal in the eyes of the Feds?

motoged - 12-4-2016 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

If Trump is an idiot, what does that make you when you're asking if it's ok to smuggle dope across the US border, manned with Federal agents with the power to search your knickers and that dope is illegal in the eyes of the Feds?

Ahhhh, Grasshopper.......your question implies that she is at least also an idiot....or worse, but inherently agrees with the premise that trump is an idiot....

Can't argue with that....:biggrin:

DaliDali - 12-4-2016 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Ahhhh, Grasshopper.......your question implies that she is at least also an idiot....or worse, but inherently agrees with the premise that trump is an idiot....

Can't argue with that....:biggrin:

You're right on the mark with being "worse"....

I think it's reasonable to wait until he is actually sworn in make the call "idiot" or not don't you think?
So far, he seems pretty dang sharp for all us deplorables.

rts551 - 12-4-2016 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

authority,
shop

You do realize the federal retirement system changed in 1982. These employees are at the mercy of a 401K and Social Security.

Martyman - 12-5-2016 at 10:59 AM

The reason to bring it down is that you only have a two week vacation . How would I get it in Mexico? Hang out in the zocalo and ask people?

bajaguy - 12-5-2016 at 11:30 AM

And you can't be away from the weed for two weeks???

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  

The reason to bring it down is that you only have a two week vacation. How would I get it in Mexico? Hang out in the zocalo and ask people?

Martyman - 12-5-2016 at 12:28 PM

I can stay away from the boo. It's the acid and shrooms I can't be without!

Hook - 12-5-2016 at 01:09 PM

If you want ANYTHING illegal in Mexico, the answer is the same..........ask a taxi driver.

David K - 12-5-2016 at 01:14 PM

If you want ANYTHING illegal in Mexico, the answer is the same..........ask a taxi driver.

LOL, I was going to say, "ask a cop"!

BajaMama - 12-5-2016 at 10:37 PM

Ha ha David, made me giggle. The only contraband I smuggle into Baja is the extra bottle of fine wine. I was only curious about the crossing the border with pot. I appreciate those who defended my honor to those insinuating I was dumb.

I would not even know how to approach another human being about how to buy pot, so there is no way in Haiti I would try to buy it in Mexico. For my once a year one puff habit, I think I'm good passing on bringing it into or trying to buy it in Baja.

Barry A. - 12-5-2016 at 11:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

LOL, I was going to say, "ask a cop"!

Hey-------------watch it!!!

wessongroup - 12-6-2016 at 12:10 AM

Maybe this could work .... for some

Supposed to be marketed in 2017 ... not sure IF this would be classified as a class I ...

"The Syqe Inhaler™

A first-in-class pocket-sized selective-dose cannabis inhaler, poised to become the most advanced and versatile inhalation-based drug delivery platform of its kind. The Syqe Inhaler utilizes selective 100 microgram dosing precision, realtime thermal & flow controllers, lung interfacing and wireless connectivity.

This new level of precision will allow patients to reach the coveted optimum balance between symptom relief and psychoactivity, regaining their quality of life. The platform is further comprised of proprietary raw drug Structural-Modification methods, uniquely identified preloaded cartridges and a linked clinical database serving physicians, researchers and healthcare entities.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-30/israeli-c...

mtgoat666 - 12-6-2016 at 07:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Maybe this could work .... for some

Supposed to be marketed in 2017 ... not sure IF this would be classified as a class I ...

"The Syqe Inhaler™

A first-in-class pocket-sized selective-dose cannabis inhaler, poised to become the most advanced and versatile inhalation-based drug delivery platform of its kind. The Syqe Inhaler utilizes selective 100 microgram dosing precision, realtime thermal & flow controllers, lung interfacing and wireless connectivity.

This new level of precision will allow patients to reach the coveted optimum balance between symptom relief and psychoactivity, regaining their quality of life. The platform is further comprised of proprietary raw drug Structural-Modification methods, uniquely identified preloaded cartridges and a linked clinical database serving physicians, researchers and healthcare entities.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-30/israeli-c...

A lot of fancy words,... but probably easier to just say "vape."
What's more fun? pipe, bong, joint, or vape?

ehall - 12-6-2016 at 07:50 AM

haha. More ways to get high. What is lung interfacing?

Hook - 12-6-2016 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
A lot of fancy words,... but probably easier to just say "vape."
What's more fun? pipe, bong, joint, or vape?

None of the above.

Edibles!!!

[Edited on 12-6-2016 by Hook]