BajaNomad

NO wimps ?

Pages:  1  2

rich t - 11-13-2017 at 03:53 PM

I have been without internet for a few days, using the Baja Almanac 2009 version on page 12 if you go south on the road that is marked El Gato you will see a wash called San Gregorio, there is a trail heading North west between the words San and Gregorio, that is about where the sign that said El Trufino was, it is just a small wooden sign, I am hoping that it will connect the trails together. On henrys map that is the section that is missing, I have found alot of roads to connect if you use the almanac and the map together.

twgracing - 4-15-2018 at 09:34 AM

Any new information on the no whimps trail south of El Barril? Is there a go around for the new sheep outfitter gates and fences? Planning to make this run leaving Gonzaga in May and any recent info would be appreciated.

TMW - 4-15-2018 at 12:38 PM

The last posting on the subject was about 5 days ago and was about a hotel being built in the R. San Miguel area. Read it here.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90065

If you decide to go that way you can check with the rancher at Rancho La Ilusion. His name is Jose Rosa. He may be able to advise you on what is going on. The last word we have is that the area is fenced and gates are locked. I have not heard of any bypass. I'm not sure how large the area is but assume it is from the El Barril area to the 28th parallel.

David K - 4-15-2018 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The last posting on the subject was about 5 days ago and was about a hotel being built in the R. San Miguel area. Read it here.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90065

If you decide to go that way you can check with the rancher at Rancho La Ilusion. His name is Jose Rosa. He may be able to advise you on what is going on. The last word we have is that the area is fenced and gates are locked. I have not heard of any bypass. I'm not sure how large the area is but assume it is from the El Barril area to the 28th parallel.

I camped near La Ilusión last year and visited with José for a bit. I asked him if the new gates going up (to the south) were going to be locked. He replied they would not unless it became necessary. So, please leave your camp and trail route spotless.

TW, I called Roy the other day and chatted about Los Corrales. His beach was to the south, as speculated.

twgracing - 4-15-2018 at 06:57 PM

Thanks TMW and David your posts have been very helpful in the past, and as always we would leave trail as if we weren't there. No Whimps is the last little piece of Baja I havn't explored yet, and wouldn't mind it taking some time if necessary. I saw that Desertbull had been through there late last year with zero issues, and was hoping that it may be the same situation. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

4x4abc - 4-15-2018 at 08:46 PM

I would run it from the south
if it is gated at Rancho San Miguel you get at least to drive the largest portion of it
make sure, you have enough gas

feel privileged if it is not gated and locked at San Miguel

twgracing - 4-16-2018 at 04:55 PM

That is an option to come up from the south. Any idea how large the new fenced area is? Thanks for the help

4x4abc - 4-16-2018 at 06:58 PM

the fenced area is large enough so that nobody can get through

[Edited on 4-18-2018 by BajaNomad]

twgracing - 4-16-2018 at 07:08 PM

WOW. Hopefully we aren't a year too late. Thanks again for the info!

4x4abc - 4-16-2018 at 07:29 PM

you might be able to sneak through when CFE builds the new powerline

4x4abc - 4-16-2018 at 07:34 PM

El Infiernito is the Arroyo just south of San Francisquito

twgracing - 4-16-2018 at 10:01 PM

Thats an extensive project! Were going to go for it second weekend of May.

TMW - 4-17-2018 at 02:34 PM

If you feel adventurous I've traced a route on Google Earth that takes off from the NWT south of El Gato that would be interesting to follow.

4x4abc - 4-17-2018 at 02:57 PM

not possible with 4WD

maybe (maybe) for a very adventurous bike

TMW - 4-17-2018 at 03:02 PM

Where would the problem areas be.

Desertbull - 4-17-2018 at 03:58 PM

I've just returned from a ADV Moto ride - big bikes ... and we came across two guys with KTM 1190's in the back of a truck and they had just been rescued at Punta Trinidad. They rode this 500+ pound motos into Santa Martha - El Gato and hit the beach sand at Trinidad where one Moto succumbed to electrical failure. They walked out to El Barril from Trinidad over 36 hours with no water, no supplies etc ... El Barril locals housed them, fed them, watered them and then they loaded into 2 pangas with plywood and 2x12's and headed to recover the KTM 1190's abandoned there near the beach. They brought them back to El Barril and stored them there and a local transported them to Guerro Negro and they caught the bus north to the border and home to Oregon ... then flew back to San Diego and picked up their truck they left in San Diego and returned to El Barril to retrieve their broken motos. They told me the story first hand and I just shook my head, they are lucky. No SPOT, No SAT Phone, No Delorme, No Plan, No 911 gear etc ... Crazy!

PaulW - 4-17-2018 at 04:15 PM

Lucky the made it?
Extremely bad judgement.
Did the guys mention fences and gates?

willardguy - 4-17-2018 at 04:25 PM

next year they'll bring the Super Dukes!

David K - 4-17-2018 at 04:59 PM

Are you sure over the sierra is an automobile road rather than one of the El Camino Real trails (there are several in this region)?

[Edited on 4-17-2018 by David K]

bajatrailrider - 4-17-2018 at 05:29 PM

The big KTM mis adventure bikes very poor choice for goat roping. Too big too heavy. Its hard on a dirt bike as it is.

mtgoat666 - 4-17-2018 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
I've just returned from a ADV Moto ride - big bikes ... and we came across two guys with KTM 1190's in the back of a truck and they had just been rescued at Punta Trinidad. They rode this 500+ pound motos into Santa Martha - El Gato and hit the beach sand at Trinidad where one Moto succumbed to electrical failure. They walked out to El Barril from Trinidad over 36 hours with no water, no supplies etc ... El Barril locals housed them, fed them, watered them and then they loaded into 2 pangas with plywood and 2x12's and headed to recover the KTM 1190's abandoned there near the beach. They brought them back to El Barril and stored them there and a local transported them to Guerro Negro and they caught the bus north to the border and home to Oregon ... then flew back to San Diego and picked up their truck they left in San Diego and returned to El Barril to retrieve their broken motos. They told me the story first hand and I just shook my head, they are lucky. No SPOT, No SAT Phone, No Delorme, No Plan, No 911 gear etc ... Crazy!

It is possible to have an adventure without bringing a SPOT umbillical cord cxn to mommy...
Just saying!

I spent a number of decades doing foolish things in the backcountry without a plan or a satellite phone. In fact, i will let you whipper snappers know a secret, there was time long ago, but within memeory of many here, when there were no cell phones or satellite-signal-et-phone-home pocket umbillical cords! Believe it or not!

advrider - 4-17-2018 at 07:27 PM

I ride a 990 but know where not to take it, when I know I can come back with my 500 and have fun! Just returned from a group ride with some guys that I will never ride with again, they put the group in several bad spots and act like its nothing! A bad spot in Baja is much worse then at home! Eighty miles of single track one night to get them gas because they lied about how far their bikes went on a tank, knowing before hand that they wouldn't make it!!! Lesson learned.

ehall - 4-17-2018 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I ride a 990 but know where not to take it, when I know I can come back with my 500 and have fun! Just returned from a group ride with some guys that I will never ride with again, they put the group in several bad spots and act like its nothing! A bad spot in Baja is much worse then at home! Eighty miles of single track one night to get them gas because they lied about how far their bikes went on a tank, knowing before hand that they wouldn't make it!!! Lesson learned.

Thats pretty dumb. That would be my last ride with them too. A couple broke bikes and that could of ended badly.

advrider - 4-17-2018 at 08:06 PM

Agreed.. No broken bikes but we almost had a couple of broken riders that had pretty good crashes in the dark going for gas! A few small mistakes can get compounded quick in Baja.

Pappy Jon - 4-18-2018 at 07:46 AM

Rereading this ... again. What is the current word on the NWT? I'm aware it might be fenced off at San Miguel, but is the track acceptable from the south in a 4x4, or is it moto only? I do have my historic GPS track to La Trinidad, FWIW.

bajatrailrider - 4-18-2018 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Thats pretty dumb. That would be my last ride with them too. A couple broke bikes and that could of ended badly.
Just wondering ED. You rode with me many times how far would a mis Adventure bike bike get on my rides.:)

TMW - 4-18-2018 at 12:43 PM

Pappy it is doable in a 4x4. The last to do it as far as I know is Desertbull late last year. The trail from a Google Earth view is what 4x4abc posted above. I last did it in Dec. of 2016 and Spring of 2017.

TMW - 4-18-2018 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Are you sure over the sierra is an automobile road rather than one of the El Camino Real trails (there are several in this region)?

The trail I copied follows the ECR off the NWT trail at the jnctn F71 shown in the lower right of the image below. It departs at F90 going in a NW direction. To the left of Fa8 is a ranch with a road going west from it. How the road is I don't know. On GE it is fairly easy to follow the trail from F71 to F90. There are two sets of switchbacks. Who knows what the rains have done. It is rather hard to follow the trail from F90 to Fa8.

[Edited on 4-18-2018 by TMW]

ehall - 4-18-2018 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Just wondering ED. You rode with me many times how far would a mis Adventure bike bike get on my rides.:)

Your motto is the same as mine "Live to ride another day"

4x4abc - 4-18-2018 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The trail I copied follows the ECR off the NWT trail at the jnctn F71 shown in the lower right of the image below. It departs at F90 going in a NW direction. To the left of Fa8 is a ranch with a road going west from it. How the road is I don't know. On GE it is fairly easy to follow the trail from F71 to F90. There are two sets of switchbacks. Who knows what the rains have done. It is rather hard to follow the trail from F90 to Fa8.

[Edited on 4-18-2018 by TMW]

Tom,

the ranch you show is Las Parras (Las Juntas)
I have hired local guides there in occasion to follow Camino Real
they told me as early as 1990 that the trails east of the rancho are even tough on a mule
I did not want to believe them and checked it out on foot
I am an expert on impossible 4x4 - they were right, no 4x4 possible
hard core bikers can likely do it
http://www.beta.inegi.org.mx/app/biblioteca/ficha.html?upc=7...

same story from the other side
starting at Rancho El Triunfo or at Cerro El Piojo you can bushwhack through Llano San Gregorio for some miles, but when you get to Cuesta Blanca (Cuesta del Tahualila) you'll have to start walking
http://www.beta.inegi.org.mx/app/biblioteca/ficha.html?upc=7...

TMW - 4-18-2018 at 07:20 PM

Thanks Harald.

4x4abc - 4-18-2018 at 07:47 PM

bring plenty of time and we could dick around in that area
there is much more than meets the eye

cooler weather and my improved foot would needed

TRAVISD - 8-29-2019 at 02:10 PM

Has any one done this trail lately? Are there locked gates?

PaulW - 8-29-2019 at 02:57 PM

Last I heard locked gates are still locked. Most of us have given up on doing the trail.
I have it on my to do list and probably will try from both ends a see for myself. Next season.

Pages:  1  2