BajaNomad

18 more days

lasvegasbiker - 9-6-2003 at 03:38 PM

18 more days then we are baja bound. The wife and i can hardley wait. Because we are rideing our motorcycle (Touring bike not an off road ) and pulling a trailer we are a little worried about road conditions now. Can anyone give us an updated report on highway 1 all the way to Cabo San Lucas? We are going no matter what but would like to know what to expect. Thanks a bunch. Anyone that might see us give a wave or whatever. I would be glad to buy the first round.
Love this site, sure am glad to have found it. Terry

Mike Humfreville - 9-6-2003 at 05:26 PM

I can only write a general reply as it's been a couple of months since I drove the Hwy and the last storm did some damage south of Loreto.

Not considering the storm, the road is in good shape the entire length of the peninsula. It has a few potholes here and there and they were doing telephone cable trenching between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro recently.

What I read regarding the storm was that a bridge or two were out but detours were operating and delays immediately after the storm were minimal.

If this is your first trip, expect a narrow road for the entire length of the peninsula. The only thing I can think of that might be different for a biker would be the wind conditions when passing opposing bigrigs. Even in a car when the wind is from a certain direction it's like getting hit with a hammer just as you pass the truck. Hopefully others more knowledgable than I am re current conditions will answer also.

Good luck, and post a report when you get back.

Pescador - 9-7-2003 at 09:14 AM

You should have a great time and with your bike the road won't seem quite as narrow as it does with the big ol' Dodge truck. Watch your fuel supply. The stretch from El Rosario to Guerro Negro is pretty long so check your range. You can usually get a little gas at Catavina but it may be out of a barrel. Make sure that you don't try to drive at night and you need to be a little bit more diligent than on comparable US roads. Slow down a little more than you would expect on most corners, they are not banked and will fool you a little on a bike.
Mike's advice on the wind is very good, as the wind can really kick up when it is blowing.
Relax, take time to smell the roses, flowers are unbelievable after a tropical storm, and finally stop at all the roadside taco stands that you see.