BajaNomad

December Fishing Report from Asuncion...HO HO HO

shari - 12-10-2016 at 07:45 AM

After a couple weeks of wishy washy fishing of good and bad days burning tons of gas trying to find hungry fish, Capt. Juan Arce Marron was stoked that the Xmas bruisers have returned to their holiday spot very close to town.

They were doing the abalone evaluation for fisheries and trolled for a few minutes on their way home and picked up these brutes in the 40 lb range.

The kayak fishers and tin boaters here are pretty happy the fish are in their range now. The town beach has been busy with shore fishers pulling in lots of yellow fin croakers too and still the odd halibut as well.

The water temps dropped to mid to high 60's during the cold snap last week but the air temps the last few days have been wonderful in the high 70's and low 80s with not too much wind either...real nice fishin weather.

The fishing cooperativa is concerned about the low numbers in the abalone count...time will tell if the government will cancel next years abalone fishery to give it time to recover or set a low quota. About half the village economy depends on this fishery so it may be a tough year if they cancel it.

The lobster season is OK...so so...mas o menos and guests have been enjoying the lovely fresh lobster dinners served in the restaurants here.

BornFisher - 12-10-2016 at 08:12 AM

Beautiful home boys there. Congrats!
Bummer about the abs!

Bajaboy - 12-10-2016 at 01:01 PM

Shari, I heard the strong dollar is helping many in the village as the quotas are set in dollars. Any truth to this?

I hope to get one more catching trip in this year. Hope the fatties stick around a little while longer. Better yet, would be nice to hook a white sea bass!

fishbuck - 12-10-2016 at 02:41 PM

Nice work! Litterally:coolup:

shari - 12-11-2016 at 07:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Shari, I heard the strong dollar is helping many in the village as the quotas are set in dollars. Any truth to this?

I hope to get one more catching trip in this year. Hope the fatties stick around a little while longer. Better yet, would be nice to hook a white sea bass!

The village seems to be booming all right and I believe the prices on lobster etc are in dollars so that would make sense...is that what you mean by quota?

As for the fatties...they usually stick around till the New Year...the bite was real hot yesterday too and they are back at it today...sashimi for lunch.

rts551 - 12-11-2016 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

The village seems to be booming all right and I believe the prices on lobster etc are in dollars so that would make sense...is that what you mean by quota?

As for the fatties...they usually stick around till the New Year...the bite was real hot yesterday too and they are back at it today...sashimi for lunch.

The quota is set by tonnage. The purchase price though, in in dollars. Right now that is helping the coops a lot.