BajaNomad

Migas in San Antonio

Santiago - 12-13-2016 at 09:10 PM

[img]http://[/img]
[img]http://[/img]
Two versions of Migas, first time I've ever tried them. Top version in a little hole-in-the-wall way south of San Antonio and very good, very Baja. $5 tops with coffee. Lower version in a fancy hotel restaurant on the River Walk in San Antonio at about $20. It really pains me to say this but the $20 was by far the better of the two. In fact, the refried beans may have been the the best we have ever had.

David K - 12-13-2016 at 10:44 PM

Hi Jim, I never heard of "migas" before. Would you mind explaining what it is. Thank you!

Santiago - 12-14-2016 at 06:33 AM

Chilaquiles but with eggs. I had never heard of it either but it is everywhere in TexMex territory. Both Chilaquiles and Migas are on the menus but migas is far more popular. Next time I'm in Baja I will ask for it and see if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

mtgoat666 - 12-14-2016 at 06:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Both Chilaquiles and Migas are on the menus but migas is far more popular.

That's Because chilaquiles tastes good for 2 bites, and when you contemplate your 3rd bite you are overcome by regret at having ordered chilaquiles.

AKgringo - 12-14-2016 at 07:47 AM

The Café Exquisite at the Maranatha camp and RV park west of La Paz now offers chilaquiles con huevos, or chilaquiles con pollo. They do a great job, in fact I think I will go get some right now. I recommend the salsa verde, and the coffee is great!

I will ask them if they ever heard of migas.

chuckie - 12-14-2016 at 08:20 AM

I make oyster Migas, when I have access to fresh oysters...

gsbotanico - 12-15-2016 at 03:15 PM

I only know "migas" as "crumbs." I've had chilaquilas many ways, most recently at La Espadaña in Tijuana less than two weeks ago. I ordered chilaquilas tampiqueña. It came with beans, potatoes, cheese, and a nice piece of steak on top. After I got through the steak, beans, potatoes, cheese, and about half the chilaquiles, I had had enough. I felt like I was eating a plate of soggy tortilla chips.

woody with a view - 12-15-2016 at 03:19 PM

Mexican Combo! Its hard to ruin the national dish.

mtgoat666 - 12-15-2016 at 03:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
I only know "migas" as "crumbs." I've had chilaquilas many ways, most recently at La Espadaña in Tijuana less than two weeks ago. I ordered chilaquilas tampiqueña. It came with beans, potatoes, cheese, and a nice piece of steak on top. After I got through the steak, beans, potatoes, cheese, and about half the chilaquiles, I had had enough. I felt like I was eating a plate of soggy tortilla chips.

Soggy nachos!
Ugh!