BajaNomad

A new face for Pemex?

AKgringo - 12-24-2016 at 06:05 PM

On my way south through San Felipe, I stopped at the last Pemex heading out of town. It was closed and the pumps were blocked off, so I turned around and headed back to the round about and filled up there.

On my way north on 12/21. it was open with a fresh coat of paint, and everything in brand new condition. There were four employees in full Pemex uniforms, including hardhats, and what appeared to be steel toe work shoes.

One of the four workers appeared to be directing the others, and it was a smooth professional full service station! The guy at my pump did not hesitate to wash not only the windshield, but the rear window and mirrors as well.

He wasn't a complete rookie though, he knew to stop the pump fifteen pesos short of the next hundred peso increment, and yes I let him keep the change!

There was a sign claiming that they had the lowest discounted price available, but honestly, I never have watched what the price per liter is, so I can't confirm or deny that statement!

It was like pulling into a major full service station from a generation ago!

bbbait - 12-25-2016 at 08:00 AM

That's interesting that they have finally opened it back up!

willardguy - 12-25-2016 at 11:00 AM

now if they could just bring back the mystery burgers!

gsbotanico - 12-25-2016 at 04:04 PM

I'm not sure what '"the lowest discounted price available" means. The price has always been set by Pemex by zones, with the highest price along the border with all nearby stations with the same price. Has Peåa Nieto begun a new policy?

In the coastal strip from the border south there are a slew of new, modern stations which certainly put a new face on Pemex. There have been rumors for several years that the national government might open the gasoline market to international companies.

David K - 12-25-2016 at 04:15 PM

The fixed max price remains but the government no longer prevents Pemex franchises from selling at lower prices. This partial freedom is in preparation for international competition returning to Mexico.

kevin_in_idaho - 12-25-2016 at 05:09 PM

Did you notice if they have diesel?

willardguy - 12-25-2016 at 05:16 PM

in the rosarito area anyway, probably half the stations are offering some kind of small cash discount, still a majority of locals, taxi's, and buses all use the same few stations....must be a reason!

great to see that san felipe station open again!:coolup:

AKgringo - 12-25-2016 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  
Did you notice if they have diesel?

I believe that they had diesel pumps, but I am not certain of it. They had just re-opened, and not all of the pumps were in service yet.

David K - 12-25-2016 at 08:39 PM

Several other stations in San Felipe or just north. They have diesel.

PaulW - 12-26-2016 at 08:59 AM

All SF except one have diesel pumps
The S PMEX does have the D pumps. The real question is have they had a delivery since they reopened. It only been open for a couple of weeks.