BajaNomad

Adios, Jeep. Aborted trip to San Francisquito.

elfbrewery - 12-29-2016 at 11:44 AM

Adios, Jeep.
On Tuesday, December 27th, while traveling north on Mex 1 somewhere past Santa Marta, the jeep took a roll off the road. We were accompanied by two other vehicles. Except for the driver's busted open nose, we escaped serious injury. From that point on we were in the hands of local Mexicans. One driver stopped and asked if we wanted a "grua" (wrecker), then called 074 for help. About the same time as the ambulance arrived, an army Hummer showed up securing the area. One of the soldiers took charge of the driver and with the help of a young man, staunched his bleeding nose, checked for injuries and rode in the ambulance with us to a small clinic in San Ignacio, where a young female doctor stitched him up and repaired some other wounds. Meanwhile, the rest of our gang diligently collected all our possessions, found room for them in their vehicles and made room for taking us back to Mulege. The wrecker towed the jeep to the yard and there we left it.
Thanks again to all in San Ignacio: the concerned drivers, the army, the bomberos, the staff in the clinic.

P1010188.JPG - 190kB

motoged - 12-29-2016 at 11:50 AM

Jeep ????? Looks like you are lucky to be alive....sorry to hear of your misfortune. It's a dangerous road at the best of times...

I imagine the details will surface ....but the important thing is the fact injuries were minimal.....considering.

AKgringo - 12-29-2016 at 01:15 PM

What a lousy end to what could have been a great trip! The results could have been so much worse though, I am glad to see that you can write about it!

My trip north came very close to a similar outcome, maybe I should write about my Karma!

elfbrewery - 12-29-2016 at 01:30 PM

Yeah. Thanks to the roll bar and seat belts we CAN write about it.

Whale-ista - 12-29-2016 at 01:34 PM

Glad all survived- agreed- could have been so much worse.

One of those times to count your blessings!

Safe travels on the return home.

rts551 - 12-29-2016 at 01:47 PM

We were headed to Vizcaino and saw the ambulance headed South.

mtgoat666 - 12-29-2016 at 07:06 PM

Soft top jeeps. Theyre all fun n games until they roll n someone gets hurt!
Glad to hear there were no serious injuries.
Lesson learned, eh?

Ken Cooke - 12-29-2016 at 10:00 PM

I am glad that the injuries were not more severe. Get well - the road to San Francisquito is a real scenic one.

Timo1 - 12-30-2016 at 07:29 AM

We came up to that accident just after the ambulance arrived. The military was directing traffic and hustled us thru.When we got to the military checkpoint we heard the ambulance coming so we pulled over to let it by. With lights and siren going they still checked out the ambulance. I guess even if it was a life-threatening situation, no one gets thru those checks. Glad to hear this wasn't the case.Safe travels for the rest of your trip.

elfbrewery - 12-31-2016 at 12:05 PM

Fortunately, a soldier was the medic and yelled at the other soldiers to let us through. It took longer than we expected, but after they saw the injured guy stretched out with a young man nursing his bloody nose, they were satisfied enough to let us go. Our friends were stopped, but quickly allowed to proceed when they told the soldiers about the ambulance.
All is well, now. Thanks for all the replies.

4x4abc - 12-31-2016 at 12:19 PM

where is Santa Marta on MEX1?

motoged - 12-31-2016 at 01:50 PM

Harald,
Isn't it just east of San Ignacio....where the No Wimp Trail comes out at south end?

4x4abc - 12-31-2016 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Harald,
Isn't it just east of San Ignacio....where the No Wimp Trail comes out at south end?

I know Santa Marta, but it is 20+ miles away from MEX1

cliffh - 12-31-2016 at 02:50 PM

Santa Lucia just south of Ignacio has a sign for the turn off to Santa Marta.

AKgringo - 12-31-2016 at 05:17 PM

I notice that Mex 1 crosses over 'Rio Santa Marta' just east of San Ignacio, but I don't know if it has signs posting that info.

Bajaboi - 1-4-2017 at 04:19 PM

Hi Elfbrewery,

Sorry your trip ended that way; we received various visitors at Puerto San Fran and we kept asking them if they were part of your group; I'm glad no one was seriously hurt from that roll!

David K - 1-4-2017 at 06:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
where is Santa Marta on MEX1?

The turnoff/ junction for Santa Marta... come on Harald, are you really tougher than me on super being exact? LOL
:lol:

LukeJobbins - 1-11-2017 at 04:54 PM

Glad your safe but it's a travesty to see another good jeep go to the graveyard. At least it died in baja. A respectable death for any off-road worthy car.

chuckie - 1-11-2017 at 05:14 PM

Off road worthy car? It was a JEEP!