BajaNomad

Looking for my son & girlfriend (now found)

pgrandfield - 12-31-2016 at 09:53 AM

My son and his girlfriend are traveling in Baja in a Delica van with British Columbia license plates. Last heard from them in Colonet one week ago. Said they were driving south for warmer weather and surf. Only plans were to be in Cabo by January 11th. Looking for any information on their location. Can email me directly at FilthyF14@yahoo.com

[Edited on 1-3-2017 by BajaNomad]

SteveWil - 12-31-2016 at 10:12 AM

No information but I am betting they are having a good time. A week is nothing, the e-net is not easy to find down there, until they get to La Paz and Cabo

pgrandfield - 12-31-2016 at 10:27 AM

Steve - thanks for the confidence but still concerned. Have heard about unusually cold and rainy weather causing problems with the roads.

Gulliver - 12-31-2016 at 11:32 AM

The news services are starved for something to bloviate about now that the election is over. One rock on the road generates a story.

The "cold" weather is still fifty at night and mid sixties in the afternoon.

There were five cops checking for drunk drivers at Catavina yesterday. Way safer here than San Diego.

shari - 12-31-2016 at 11:51 AM

it is a beautiful sunny warm day here in central baja...surf zone...today! Internet is spotty and roads are fine. If you post a picture of the van we can keep an eye out for them!

tiotomasbcs - 12-31-2016 at 12:36 PM

Lots of Snow Birds and college age kids down here dry camping and surfing. Post fotos of rig and will keep an eye open for them! Cloudy but warm here in Todos Santos. Tio

pgrandfield - 12-31-2016 at 01:27 PM

We heard from our son today via FaceTime. Very relieved. They're having a great time surfing......

DENNIS - 12-31-2016 at 03:43 PM

XLNT............ When they get home, have a talk about communication methods....and responsibility.

bajaguy - 12-31-2016 at 04:23 PM

Another good reason to carry and use a SPOT

Quote: Originally posted by pgrandfield  
We heard from our son today via FaceTime. Very relieved. They're having a great time surfing......

Barry A. - 12-31-2016 at 05:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
I always told people that if they don't hear from me when I was in Baja then don't worry.
If they did hear from it was due to an issue.

Me too, Soulpatch. That worked for me for over 50 years. Loved being "off the grid".

bajabuddha - 12-31-2016 at 05:31 PM

Gawl dang yung selfish whippersnappers! The nerve of having tooooo much fun !!!!!

.....Baja, where sometimes time stands still........ :cool:

BornFisher - 12-31-2016 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pgrandfield  

Yeah but what about your girlfriend???

BajaBlanca - 12-31-2016 at 08:38 PM

You sure came to the right place and Baja can be scary for those who stay home waiting to hear from travelers.

For next time, a photo is very helpful.

Glad the news was good.

AKgringo - 12-31-2016 at 09:19 PM

In late 1964, my brother and I and a classmate of his took a three month road trip to Manzanillo on the mainland. I was seventeen, and my brother and the other vagabond were nineteen.

Postcards and letters took about two weeks each way, and to phone home.....well, that just wasn't to be done unless there was a dire emergency! There were not a lot of phones around in those days, and they were very expensive!

We had been there a couple of times before as a family, so it wasn't a complete unknown for them. I wonder if that was when mom's hair started to change shades?

MMc - 1-1-2017 at 09:38 AM

At 19 I spent 4 months in europe solo. I only way I could be reached was when I call home. My mother was in Hospitable ICU 3 times while I was gone. No one told me cause they didn't want me to worry on my vacation. The call home were 2-3 weeks apart cause I wasn't worried.
We went to Baffin to climb a big stone was out of touch 5 weeks that time.
I still drop off the map for a week or so without checking in.
We all live are live marching to our own drum.
Setting the home life's expectations is important before you leave.

[Edited on 1-1-2017 by MMc]

BajaBlanca - 1-1-2017 at 01:33 PM

picture of the vehicle? pic of your son?

woody with a view - 1-1-2017 at 01:45 PM

they surfaced. see other thread.

Barry A. - 1-1-2017 at 06:14 PM

My Dad at 16, and his brother at 14, and a cousin at 17 in 1922 took off from Boston in an open top touring car (can't remember the brand---Maxwell maybe?) for Owens Valley, CA. Mostly dirt roads then. Took them almost 2 months to get there (Bishop, Ca) and they all got jobs at a nearby Vanadiam (?) mine in Pine Creek Canyon and stayed for 2 years becoming cowboys, miners, and horse wranglers. Nobody really worried about them as they were deemed competent by their parents. Then my Dad and his brother drove back to Boston (Cousin stayed in Bishop for the rest of his life) and my Dad went to the US Naval Academy and his younger brother went to MIT to become an engineer. Later they both returned to Bishop and my Uncle stayed there for rest of his life, and my Dad went off on his career in the Navy, and the rest was history. People tended to be self-sufficient back then in them-thar olden days. LOL

Hook - 1-2-2017 at 12:07 PM

Your son ran off with your girlfriend? Where'd he learn that?

[Edited on 1-2-2017 by Hook]