BajaNomad

Gasoline protests

Pages:  1  2

capitolkat - 1-7-2017 at 11:01 AM

BEcause of the situation in SanQuintin and gas availability in GN I had to cancel our trip North at this time. La Paz to Phoenix-. I talked to the hotel staff in GN last night to cancel the room and asked if there was gas in GN-. She said " No Hay gasoline in GN" ( Friday Night)

I then talked to Jardines hotel in San Quintin to cancel that room as well and he said no gas in SQ, but the road was temporarily open with no blockage, but didn't know what tomorrow would bring.

PaulW - 1-7-2017 at 11:55 AM

San Felipe gas situation seems normal on Friday evening and today. Friday I saw two stations closed on the south side of Mexicali and all others were open and operating.
Here is a pic Thursday evening

SF gas lines.jpg - 51kB

More riot stuff

chuckie - 1-7-2017 at 03:08 PM

Vids of guy wrecking Pemex station in Rosarito over on TB..Also Mexico has closed part of the border in...Not stamping passports or issuing FMM' no tickee no washee...

willyAirstream - 1-7-2017 at 04:24 PM

Do you mean this one , where a guy drives a car into the police at the Rosarito Pemex ?
https://www.facebook.com/eligio.hernandez.7/posts/1197518873...

San Ysidro border crossing was taken over by protesters and is open, but not checking passports etc
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100594612518779&am...

btw, all quiet in Mulege, Highway Pemex was closed for a fwew hours today, 2 tankers delivered gas and it is biz as usual now. The town Pemex station is closed.

chuckie - 1-7-2017 at 04:25 PM

jajaja

blackwolfmt - 1-7-2017 at 04:32 PM

def aint boring down there form the lks of it

chuckie - 1-7-2017 at 04:47 PM

Millions of folks are really hurt by this...

blackwolfmt - 1-7-2017 at 05:05 PM

so what you suppose is the population of Baja full time residents

chuckie - 1-7-2017 at 05:43 PM

DUH? What does that have to do with anything? It affects the entire country....Not just a few gringos in Baja...

blackwolfmt - 1-7-2017 at 05:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
DUH? What does that have to do with anything? It affects the entire country....Not just a few gringos in Baja...

mexicans

SERIOUS GAS PAINS

DENNIS - 1-7-2017 at 07:56 PM

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/gas-protest-round-up-4-dead-...

WhackAMolE - 1-7-2017 at 08:36 PM

Four dead in gas protests.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/gas-protest-round-up-4-dead-...

Jeez. That's awful.

Nashville Frank - 1-7-2017 at 09:19 PM

Looks really bad. Gotta appeal to the Big Guy!

BooJumMan - 1-7-2017 at 09:52 PM

A few days ago my buddy in Mexicali said that protests were scheduled for today (7th) and the 12th ... so far today's was correct I guess.

[Edited on 1-8-2017 by BooJumMan]

bajabuddha - 1-8-2017 at 05:27 AM

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mexicans-march-against-g...

TedZark - 1-8-2017 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
over on TB.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is TB and where can I find it?

TunaBucket? TurnBuckle? ToastyBuns?

ehall - 1-8-2017 at 08:16 AM

Tb= talkbaja on facebook

BajaMama - 1-8-2017 at 09:48 AM

As long as they calm things down by March when dad drives to his Baja home....

Gulliver - 1-8-2017 at 11:09 PM

That guy driving the yellow pickup had to be drunk or crazy. Totally identifiable vehicle.

MICK - 1-9-2017 at 08:11 AM

I was in Mexicali yesterday most stations are closed to gas. Some still had deisel. The ones that had gas had very long lines so I suspect they will be out soon. The line going north across the border was as long as I have ever seen. I can only guess it is people going north for gas.
All the stations heading south as far as La Puerta have no gas so don't leave Mexicali thinking you will get it on the road. The small towns around me are saying that when they run out that's it.
Glad I filled some cans up.
Mick

shari - 1-9-2017 at 09:03 AM

Guests of ours drove from El Rosario to Bahia Asuncion yesterday with no problems...lots of gas everywhere they said. Also a cousin said the tanker arrived to Mulege so the stations south are getting supplied.
Here in Asuncion only premium gas available as of yesterday...the streets are pretty quiet....no cruising the drag.

PaulW - 1-9-2017 at 09:10 AM

San Felipe update
Last night the N PMEX was out of gas and only had 1500 ltrs of diesel . The Ejido PMEX was out of diesel and was down to 1000 ltrs of gas at 6 PM and they had 3 lines of 15 vehicles each still waiting.
The PMEX station guys said they do not expect deliveries any time soon due to protest blockage at the truck terminals up north.
Compounding the situation if the government backs off on the prices and the stations are very reluctant to order more fuel in case they get stuck with fuel they cannot sell.

David K - 1-9-2017 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
San Felipe update
Last night the N PMEX was out of gas and only had 1500 ltrs of diesel . The Ejido PMEX was out of diesel and was down to 1000 ltrs of gas at 6 PM and they had 3 lines of 15 vehicles each still waiting.
The PMEX station guys said they do not expect deliveries any time soon due to protest blockage at the truck terminals up north.
Compounding the situation if the government backs off on the prices and the stations are very reluctant to order more fuel in case they get stuck with fuel they cannot sell.

For those of us who don't live there, what is the "Ejido Pemex"?
I think I count 6 stations, correct me if I am wrong, from north to south:
1) El Dorado Ranch (near Rockadile sign)
2) New station a couple mile before town entrance, on the right.
3) Self-serve station at 'quicky mart' on right, past entrance arches.
4) Station on left at traffic circle.
5) Station on right at traffic circle.
6) Station on road to the south, closed for many years, recently reopened.

PaulW - 1-9-2017 at 09:57 AM

#2 between N Pmex (Eldorado and Rockadile sign) and arches called Ejido station.
#3 is the biggest PMEX in SF. Not handy so I did not know it was self service?

[Edited on 1-9-2017 by PaulW]

DENNIS - 1-9-2017 at 10:03 AM

[rquote]=1063547&tid=85338&author=David K
For those of us who don't live there, what is the "Ejido Pemex"?
[/rquote]

Allow me a wild guess. Ejidos traditionally are given a name of a person, place, events or thing, associated with the nation...past, present or future, and PEMEX is Mexico to the hueso.

[Edited on 1-9-2017 by DENNIS]

rts551 - 1-9-2017 at 10:13 AM

I was just told the Ejido station had diesel.

Mulege Canuck - 1-9-2017 at 06:22 PM

We got into San Felipe at 3:00. No gas anywhere. Got beer and food and the beach at Petes Camp so life is not that bad.

David K - 1-9-2017 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
#2 between N Pmex (Eldorado and Rockadile sign) and arches called Ejido station.
#3 is the biggest PMEX in SF. Not handy so I did not know it was self service?

[Edited on 1-9-2017 by PaulW]

Thanks!

It was self service after they opened for a while, I used it a couple times but didn't like the long walk into the Oxxo (or is it 7-11?) to pay/ get change.

tecatero - 1-9-2017 at 06:36 PM

Mexicali got gas and diesel ?????

rts551 - 1-9-2017 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
Mexicali got gas and diesel ?????

Yes, or better yet you are right across the border from Calexico where gas is 2.50 per gallon

PaulW - 1-9-2017 at 06:45 PM

The same company owns #3 and the N PMEX so I suspect they have full service pumps now days?. That owner is a multiple PMEX owner with many stations scattered around the Mexicali vicinity. The N PMEX has a couple of young girl pump attendants that offer to wash your windows.

tecatero - 1-9-2017 at 06:46 PM

Trying to make it to La Paz.........they are turning people around at the border who have full jerry cans of gas,,,,,,,,,,hence cross the border with empty cans and fill in Mexicali.......therefore enough to make it to Vizcaino, supposedly plenty of gas there..

read on TB, no gas in Mexicali today, San Felipe has no gas and very little diesel

rts551 - 1-9-2017 at 07:32 PM

Jesus Maria is the closest station after Gonzaga but get their fuel from the north. Maybe the protesters will open the border in Mexicali like they did in San Diego....just kidding. Good Luck.

Pemex Gas Station Update in Rosarito Today

GypsyJan - 1-9-2017 at 07:33 PM

The Pemex facility in north Rosarito Is still blocked off by protestors, so there is no access to the Wal-Mart/Home Depot Pabellon shopping center.

We did our grocery shopping at the Mega Comerical Mexicana, and paid the cell phone bill at the TelCel major office in town and then picked up the mail at Mail and Extras in central Rosarito. There were no problems except for that it was raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock. No flooding, but if you are driving in the area, beware of the new potholes.

The big Pemex station just off the toll road north of the toll gate was open and doing business as usual. Also the Pemex station next to the Comercial Mexicana and the station just north of Puerto Nuevo were open, as well as the VIP station in Primo Tapia.

Gulliver - 1-9-2017 at 07:53 PM

I've had people coming through Mulege from Ensenada today and yesterday and telling me that there was gas everywhere on Rt. 1.

tecatero - 1-10-2017 at 07:02 AM

San Felipe no hay gas or diesel.........attendant says owners of stations have not ordered deliveries due today.......errrrrrrrr

rts551 - 1-10-2017 at 07:15 AM

San Felipe no hay gas or diesel.........attendant says owners of stations have not ordered deliveries due today.......errrrrrrrr

I know someone who said forget it yesterday. Headed back to the states.

shari - 1-10-2017 at 08:56 AM

Guests that arrived last night drove from tj and they didnt even know about the gas issue and it was smooth sailing all the way...hardly any traffic and lots of gas everywhere on Mex.1

Mulege Canuck - 1-10-2017 at 06:02 PM

2 Canucks looking for gas. Need around 100 litres between us.

Price is negotiable😎

Gulliver - 1-10-2017 at 06:06 PM

Both stations were open this morning. Has that changed?

Mulege Canuck - 1-10-2017 at 06:11 PM

No gas in San Felipe Mike. See you down there one of these days.

Gulliver - 1-10-2017 at 06:15 PM

i thought you were talking about Mulege.

Hang in there. I heard there was gas down at Villa Jesus Maria if you can't make it to Guerro Negro.

Pacifico - 1-10-2017 at 07:13 PM

I haven't read the entire thread, but here is my update:
I came north from BOLA yesterday, there was gas at BOLA, Gonzaga looked like they had gas, No gas in San Felipe. We brought gas north with us to avoid any issues and made it home today.

tecatero - 1-11-2017 at 04:43 AM

True ???

No fuel at all in Mexicali and the federales in masses were deployed last night ?

san felipe no gas as well.........??

[Edited on 1-11-2017 by tecatero]

Pacifico - 1-11-2017 at 07:19 AM

True ???

No fuel at all in Mexicali and the federales in masses were deployed last night ?

san felipe no gas as well.........??

[Edited on 1-11-2017 by tecatero]

True...unless something changed. Every station we saw in Mexicali was closed! San Felipe as well... Haven't heard about the federales being deployed. The agent at the border said lots of people were crossing over to Calexico to get fuel.

surfinggrandpa71 - 1-11-2017 at 07:27 AM

I guess we should delay our departure to BOLA. Not in a rush, but we are planning to cross Calexico tomorrow. Any thoughts ? Would hate to get stuck somewhere due to no fuel. How is Mexicali operating with no fuel , big city ?

PaulW - 1-11-2017 at 11:07 AM

Mexicali is like other places - no gas
Looting is reported
The folks are upset
Big lines going north to get gas.

Gulliver - 1-11-2017 at 01:17 PM

Nothing in the news about looting. Could be but I'll wait to see on that one.

LukeJobbins - 1-11-2017 at 04:49 PM

I started in bola a couple days ago and no problem with gas but out of diesel then got gas out of the can in catavina yesterday and plenty of premium gas in el Rosario with no limit but no magna and no problem or limit on any gas at Los pinos today. No sign of any problems so far as San Quintin today.

Ken Cooke - 1-11-2017 at 09:28 PM

My Mexicali connection stated that gasoline is available today, but with long lines.

BooJumMan - 1-12-2017 at 07:40 AM

Apparently large protest is scheduled today and then again on the 15th. We'll see... :/

BajaGringo - 1-12-2017 at 07:47 AM

Fuel trucks starting rolling into San Felipe late yesterday afternoon...

CVBaja - 1-12-2017 at 10:10 AM

Just an FYI for anyone planning on coming through San Quintin...from the reports I heard from our team yesterday, San Quintin still seems to be out of gas, not sure about Los Pinos. The ATM's are all out of money (even the one at the HSBC) as well, so don't plan on stopping for cash.

If anyone has more current info on the San Quintin area, let me know.

DENNIS - 1-12-2017 at 11:18 AM

When tourism is affected to a noticeable degree, things will change.

Udo - 1-12-2017 at 11:55 AM

Tourism will be affected, when the word gets out in the USA.

DENNIS - 1-12-2017 at 11:59 AM

Of course. Trip Advisor would be a good start. I think some people read it.

Bubba - 1-12-2017 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Tourism will be affected, when the word gets out in the USA.

It's already out.

chuckie - 1-12-2017 at 12:14 PM

Little or no attention being paid on the Networks...Too busy with Kim Kardashian and Drump..

DaliDali - 1-12-2017 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
Fuel trucks starting rolling into San Felipe late yesterday afternoon...

Kindly check your U2U function.

BajaGringo - 1-12-2017 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CVBaja  
Just an FYI for anyone planning on coming through San Quintin...from the reports I heard from our team yesterday, San Quintin still seems to be out of gas, not sure about Los Pinos. The ATM's are all out of money (even the one at the HSBC) as well, so don't plan on stopping for cash.

If anyone has more current info on the San Quintin area, let me know.

I got cash from the ATMs at Bancomer in town and filled up in San Quintin yesterday. Just called and checked - most gas stations open in San Quintin Valley and Los Pinos.

[Edited on 1-12-2017 by BajaGringo]

David K - 1-12-2017 at 01:10 PM

So it is over?

mjs - 1-12-2017 at 01:13 PM

Gas available in San Felipe. New Pemex on south end of town olny had premium. Not sure about other stations but lines were not to long.

BajaGringo - 1-12-2017 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
So it is over?

Probably not. Most are just regrouping after the federal crackdown on the Pemex blockades. With another big increase due on Feb 1st, expect this to continue. People down here are really, really angry and their frustration with all the other problems, corruption, etc is all coming to a boil.

Right now most of the anger is getting focused into large demonstrations taking over government offices, toll booths (pass for free) and border crossings (pass without paying any duties).

Stay tuned...

willardguy - 1-12-2017 at 01:36 PM

So it is over?

Probably not. Most are just regrouping after the federal crackdown on the Pemex blockades. With another big increase due on Feb 1st, expect this to continue. People down here are really, really angry and their frustration with all the other problems, corruption, etc is all coming to a boil.

Right now most of the anger is getting focused into large demonstrations taking over government offices, toll booths (pass for free) and border crossings (pass without paying any duties).

Stay tuned...

did the farm laborers achieve anything from their protests?

BajaGringo - 1-12-2017 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
So it is over?

Stay tuned...

did the farm laborers achieve anything from their protests?

Not what they asked for but yes, they did get some pay concessions and better government oversight as to their legal rights and benefits as well as working conditions. Most farmworkers still think it was much too little and most of them blame the movement leaders from last year who received paid party positions within Morena and PRD as well as some reported cash payouts.

The difference this time around is that this is not just farmworkers, an underrepresented minority but the nation as a whole. The anger is very widespread and goes across all political, economical and social lines. Everyone I see and talk to here is extremely angry and wanting a change now; from the farmworkers to the guys pumping your gas to college educated professionals to large farm and business owners, regardless of their political preferences.

Barring some unforeseen magical fix coming out of Los Pinos/San Lazaro in the coming weeks, I can easily see this boiling over into something much bigger. This has been brewing for decades and there is such collective anger and frustration now that this will be very hard to contain IMHO. I have been through this kind of social revolt decades ago in South America and the climate here now seems the very same from back then. Even worse at some levels.

Stay tuned....

Pages:  1  2