BajaNomad

Mama Espinoza Restaurant report!

Pages:  1  

Meany - 1-4-2017 at 12:26 PM

Sad:( Loved eating there over the years.

TMW - 1-4-2017 at 12:42 PM

That is really sad to have such a historic place fall so low. But I guess the family did not have the same feelings for it that mama had.

David K - 1-4-2017 at 12:50 PM

Nothing (almost nothing) stays the same forever.
I wish Antonio could get his Baja Cactus restaurant open as fast as he got fire engines!
I guess Ed's Baja's Best is the spot for breakfast burritos still? Tacos Mision is gone, until Hugo rebuilds it again. The Sinahi (formerly La Bocana Beach) Restaurant was good a while back. There are many other places... We need more Nomad restaurant reviews for El Rosario!

BajaRat - 1-4-2017 at 12:59 PM

Feliz Ano Nuevo Udo ! Did they sell the motel and property or the restaurant as a concession ? I think Rolie and the Fam do care, hopefully some negative feedback will help.

Lionel :cool:

willardguy - 1-4-2017 at 01:09 PM

I always felt the best part of mama's was browsing around all the off road memorabilia, not the food!

carlosg - 1-4-2017 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
After a 50+ year tradition ...it's a historic stop, but since the matriarch passed away last year, the restaurant took a major downhill!!!

...When we stopped for breakfast at about 8 a.m. we were the only ones in the restaurant and two huevos rancheros breakfasts took us an hour to get from the kitchen. And on top of that the eggs were served cold. The only food item served warm were the tortillas!

...since Mama Espinoza passed away, the restaurant was sold. They changed the iconic menu and all food items.

Therefore my recommendation for this restaurant is a no-go. Buy your gas at Baja Cactus, and perhaps spend the night there.

The local taco stands are probably better than the restaurant!!

Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Motel Turista (at the far southbound end of town near the bridge) has been the #2 choice, we stayed there twice when Baja Cactus was full.

Across from Turista is Ed's Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast + Restaurant and Bar. You may want to check out his place if you like B&Bs? I think he has 3 or 4 nicely furnished rooms... Price is higher than Baja Cactus or Turista, but it includes breakfast!

The motel with the RV park behind and restaurant in front is the Motel Sinahi. Maybe rated #3 or 4 in town, depending if Mama Espinoza's Las Cabanas motel condition is good.

[Edited on 9-4-2015 by David K]

We stayed at Mama's motel about three years ago and the rooms were as awful as it can get: roaches, ants, spiders.. it was a zoo, dirty toilet and shower, cigarette butts on the floor, stinky room... the following two years we have stayed at BajaCactus and what a whole difference it is and for the price it's a no brainier at all!!! the place is awesome!!! However we would like to try another place this year, I think its the Sinai that I recall from a post earlier this year here on the forum, it seems like they have good food as well.

Unfortunately Mama's restaurant is not "what it used to be" and the service is very poor, worse as time passes, its a great place full of memoirs but I think that unfortunately the grandson that has taken it over just doesn't care that much for the place... no hay amor...:no:

We stopped eating there about three years ago when the grandson was supposedly running the place... running the place he was ...but into the ground...!!! We had an identical experience as Udo.

BooJumMan - 1-4-2017 at 01:18 PM

Yes, I haven't really been impressed the last few stops there either. I've been holding out to Rosarito south of Catavina for Mauricios.

carlosg - 1-4-2017 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
Yes, I haven't really been impressed the last few stops there either. I've been holding out to Rosarito south of Catavina for Mauricios.

Just south of Mauricio's there's La Suegra on the east side of the highway: its a truck stop dinner, we stopped there for fresh "café de calcetín" or also some call it: "café de talega" (fresh brewed pour over coffee) on our way back during Thanksgiving and the place was packed with what seemed locals and of course many truckers... it was morning and watching the breakfast plates served on the tables was very tempting, looked delicious and the portions were big... but we were headed to Mauricio's for burritos on the go...

[Edited on 1-4-2017 by carlosg]

weebray - 1-4-2017 at 02:10 PM

Sadly reminds me of another institution you "old timers" may remember - Carmelita's tamales in Jesus Maria. Many a cold winter I started dreaming of her tamales soon after leaving El Rosario. One really cold windy winter afternoon I sat with her in her camper while she fed me hot wonderful tamales and sang me a song. Her son runs the "operation" now and it's truly dreadful.

David K - 1-4-2017 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Sadly reminds me of another institution you "old timers" may remember - Carmelita's tamales in Jesus Maria. Many a cold winter I started dreaming of her tamales soon after leaving El Rosario. One really cold windy winter afternoon I sat with her in her camper while she fed me hot wonderful tamales and sang me a song. Her son runs the "operation" now and it's truly dreadful.

A look back... first two photos from Bob H

Then she expanded beyond her van...

Udo - 1-4-2017 at 03:46 PM

I did not ask that question, therefore my answer is I don't know...I apologize!

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
Feliz Ano Nuevo Udo ! Did they sell the motel and property or the restaurant as a concession ? I think Rolie and the Fam do care, hopefully some negative feedback will help.

Lionel :cool:

Whale-ista - 1-4-2017 at 04:27 PM

Sigh... the end of an era. Her lobster burritos were decadently delicious: dripping with butter, served with rice & beans, big enough to provide an additional "to go" snack to eat down the road...

My cholesterol levels increase just reminiscing about those meals.

chuckie - 1-4-2017 at 04:32 PM

Good one..RE: Cholesterol!

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-4-2017 at 04:55 PM

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience Udo. Mama's has been run by mama's daughter Roly for years and she still runs it. I was in El Rosario during November and ate in the kitchen every day for two weeks. The same cooks who have been there for a long time are still cooking. I personally did not see a problem with the cooks or wait staff while I was there. I did notice that prices had gone up and the lobster was a little more scarce than normal. I hope you don't give up on mama's place and give it another chance. David.

ncampion - 1-4-2017 at 05:21 PM

We ate there about a month ago when we last drove North and it seemed pretty much the same. Same staff that we are used to and the service was acceptable (about as good as it ever is at Mama's) and the food was good. Still an easy dinner when staying at Baja Cactus so I hope it manages to maintain acceptable quality/service. Once we settle into our room it's nice not to have to get in the car to drive anywhere for food.

dtbushpilot - 1-4-2017 at 05:28 PM

Nothing (almost nothing) stays the same forever.
I wish Antonio could get his Baja Cactus restaurant open as fast as he got fire engines!
I guess Ed's Baja's Best is the spot for breakfast burritos still? Tacos Mision is gone, until Hugo rebuilds it again. The Sinahi (formerly La Bocana Beach) Restaurant was good a while back. There are many other places... We need more Nomad restaurant reviews for El Rosario!

Antonio is building a restaurant? That's great, I don't know of any really good food available in ER. Let's hope his restaurant construction goes better than the infamous bathroom remodel.

David K - 1-4-2017 at 06:27 PM

Yes, now with Mama gone, I think Antonio feels no disrespect in building a restaurant with a real restaurant manager and quality chef. As you all know, when Antonio does something, it is done to a high standard.

The Pemex bathroom expansion would have been completed long before it was if there was not the bureaucracy of a HUGE government controlled mess that is Pemex, holding up this simple expansion.

bezzell - 1-4-2017 at 08:48 PM

the food there's fine you first-world prima donas!

("omg. my chicken's muenstration wasn't runny & oozing" :lol:)

mtgoat666 - 1-4-2017 at 08:55 PM

After a 50+ year tradition of making several stops there on our trips North as well as South, we have to stop going there for food.
I know it's a historic stop, but since the matriarch passed away last year, the restaurant took a major downhill!!!

We stopped there dozens of times, in the past, for their crab soup, which in my opinion was one of the best and iconic foods in Baja.
When we stopped for breakfast at about 8 a.m. we were the only ones in the restaurant and two huevos rancheros breakfasts took us an hour to get from the kitchen. And on top of that the eggs were served cold. The only food item served warm were the tortillas!
I returned the eggs and they warmed them up in the microwave which did heat them up, but then the yolks were hard-boiled.
We paid for the food and left disgusted.

I asked one of the locals as to what happened to the restaurant, and was told that since Mama Espinoza passed away, the restaurant was sold. They changed the iconic menu and all food items.

Therefore my recommendation for this restaurant is a no-go. Buy your gas at Baja Cactus, and perhaps spend the night there.

The local taco stands are probably better than the restaurant!!

The food and service were abysmal 10 years ago, and you have been warned many times in review here and I am sure elsewhere. You are lucky you did not get a case of the trots!

Bajaboy - 1-4-2017 at 10:55 PM

Food and service has been crap for years at Mama's. In fact, I don't recall ever getting a meal worth its value there.

If you want a great meal in El Rosario, head east out of town. On the south side of the road, past the old military complex, you'll find La Pasadita...unless of course there are a few tractor trailers in front. The ladies have been cooking for years now and the place just keeps growing. You will get a great meal and a very good price.

Elona - 1-5-2017 at 07:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Food and service has been crap for years at Mama's. In fact, I don't recall ever getting a meal worth its value there.

I agree. We have been there in 2015 and it was dirty and expensive. I have never seen before such disgusting toilets.

pacificobob - 1-5-2017 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I always felt the best part of mama's was browsing around all the off road memorabilia, not the food!

i feel the same way. great memorabilia, common food.

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-5-2017 at 08:02 AM

Mama Espinoza’s Restaurant still remains a great place to eat in Baja California on your way south. I highly recommend the lobster burritos. Delicious. The bathrooms are cleaned on a continuous basis. That said I have personally seen that people who use the bathroom horibly abuse it by thowing paper towels and toilet paper all over intead of in the trash can. They take baths at the sink and leave it a filthy mess. They also urinate and crap on the toilet seats without regard for other users. When these issues are found they are immediately cleaned up. Are the offenders Americans, Canadians, Mexicans or another race. Who knows. All I know that those who do these nasty acts need to have the crap kicked out of their anus.

Nashville Frank - 1-5-2017 at 09:59 AM

I will take up the CHALLENGE to find the best place to eat in El Rosario!

I'll be there for 10 days next month (Feb. 4-13) and will set out each day to savor the fine cuisine from the Pemex to the bridge. From ER de Arriba to ER de Abajo and to Nuevo Uruapan (the 3 communities of ER). From the mountains to the ocean. From the taco trucks to the 4 star places ;). Nothing will escape my gastrointestinal processing unit! I'll talk to the locals like Antonio (of Baja Cactus/Halcones del Desierto fame) who I've met, to Primo (El Sinahi) who I know, and any others I can.

I was there in November, staying at the Cactus and walking to Mama's. Our group faired well. Service: good Food: good. My friends and I are experienced "Latino travel eaters" (Mexico, Puerto Rico, Peru, Honduras, Guatemala, etc.). We found the food to be fine, but a little boring. If we'd had more time, we could have feasted on items mentioned above, that seem to be everyone's favorites, but we didn't know.

I'll drag along my ginger root and some "Bismuth subsalicylate" (Peto-bismal/Kaopectate). Got any other suggestions of "after dinner mints" to have on hand?

So, if you hear from me after Valentines Day, you'll know that me and my innards have made it safely back and that this gastronome (lover of good food) will "spill the frijoles" about El Rosario's eateries.

"To eat is to..."

JoeJustJoe - 1-5-2017 at 10:09 AM

I never been to this restaurant, " Mama Espinoza's." but before I visit many restaurants I look at the internet reviews from sites like Yelp, Trip Advisor, or other review sites.

From reading most of the 83 reviews on "Trip Advisor" which were mixed about 50/50 both pro and con.

I would probably avoid this restaurant because there were just too many negative reviews that seemed to outweigh the positive reviews. The negative reviews really focused on the high price of the food, quality of food, and service of the restaurant staff.

What I take away from the reviews, is this is a theme restaurant, that's over priced for a Mexican restaurant, and the food quality is rated mostly so-so, to down right bad.

From reading about the bathrooms in " Mama Espinoza" in this thread, the only word that comes to mind is nasty.

I will skip this restaurant.

The reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499399-d21829...

David K - 1-5-2017 at 10:25 AM

While I have not eaten at Mama's as often as some of you apparently have, given how horrible you always think it was, I have been 'lucky', I guess? Not getting sick, not needed to use the restroom there, not having terrible service any worse than other places in Baja, has been our experience the few times there the past 13 some years.

Sure, it is Baja-tourist oriented, costs more (not a lot more) for basic items, but other than a bit slow on service, no complaints from Baja Angel or myself... not enough to tarnish the place out-of-business.

Yes, we like other places there in Rosario... and they have mostly been Ed and Yolanda's (Baja's Best B&B, Bar, Restuarant) or Primo's (Sinahi) or Hugo's (Tacos Misión) restaurants.

Here are the few photos I have taken at Mama Espinoza's Restaurant in El Rosario:

Thanksgiving Dinner 2004

Antonio (BajaCactus), Tony Miranda (Diamante Del Mar project),
and I (David K) at Mama Espinoza's Restaurant

I am enjoying 'Baja Turkey'

Which is usually called LOBSTER!

May 2005

Sunday morning we have breakfast at Mama Espinosa's.
Here Antonio and Lorenia Muñoz (owners of Baja Cactus Motel and Pemex)
chat with Mama Espinoza's daughter Roli.

July 2009

A Baja landmark and traditional stop for many, many years in El Rosario... long before the highway was built and the Baja off-road races from before. The restaurant has been remodeled and food and service were great.

101 years old and still going strong!

Mama (Anita) Espinoza autographs her book for me.
Born on Oct. 16, 1910 per her 2002 published biography.
However, her 1994 autobiography says the year was really1908.
We talk about the old days and of my first trip through El Rosario in 1966.
Her memory is so strong that she recalls visitors that long ago.

Elizabeth and Doña Anita Espinoza

It was a great honor to meet this famous lady after so many visits to El Rosario. There is even a museum about Mama Espinoza, see the photos: http://vivabaja.com/406 (taken in 2006).

DENNIS - 1-5-2017 at 10:28 AM

Thanks for rolling back the clock, DK.

Nashville Frank - 1-5-2017 at 11:00 AM

Thanks David! As a first timer there in November, I thought the place was cool. It was crawling with off-roaders for the upcoming race. The memorabilia hanging all around was impressive. A jaunt through the store showed glimpses of what was. The food and service were good, no complaints. It was a little pricey.

As with all things: tastes differ and change; place remembered evolve. Baja is so much different from my first experience in 2002! I can't even imagine what Udo's experience was like 50 years ago!

chuckie - 1-5-2017 at 12:27 PM

Espinosas was never about the food...It was and is about the Lady who ran it. I sat with her many times years ago and listened to her stories, she sang me nursery rhymes..told me about going to school...bought her books..She was a Grand lady..and a legend.....Its a shame that this thread has degenerated into a peeing contest between fools..

JoeJustJoe - 1-5-2017 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Espinosas was never about the food...It was and is about the Lady who ran it. I sat with her many times years ago and listened to her stories, she sang me nursery rhymes..told me about going to school...bought her books..She was a Grand lady..and a legend.....Its a shame that this thread has degenerated into a peeing contest between fools..

To each his own, but if you ask me it sounds like a few of you are looking for a museum, rather than a good restaurant.

And those photos of the restaurant look great 13 years ago, but things could change in 13 years.

If this restaurant can't put out decent good quality food on a consistent basis, and at a reasonable price, then perhaps they should turn the place into some kind of shrine or pubic museum.

Maybe, it's just me, but I go to restaurants for the food, although the ambiance does count for smething.

I also pay close attention to reviews, and when you see the same complaints over, and over again. It's a good hint, something may be wrong at the establishment, and I'm not just talking about restaurants.

Udo - 1-5-2017 at 02:02 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with DENNIS!

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Thanks for rolling back the clock, DK.

DENNIS - 1-5-2017 at 03:08 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with DENNIS!

Thanks for wholeheartedly agreeing with me, Udo. :lol:

[Edited on 1-6-2017 by BajaNomad]

Nashville Frank - 1-5-2017 at 03:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

If this restaurant can't put out decent good quality food on a consistent basis, and at a reasonable price, then perhaps they should turn the place into some kind of shrine or pubic museum....

I also pay close attention to reviews, and when you see the same complaints over, and over again....

Hey JoeJustJoe,
From my experience in the restaurant business and as an eater of their products, I have come to understand that many who have had a good to better to great experience with their food are so much less interested in communicating to world their experience, than are those who had bad to terrible experiences.

When they feel "robbed/snubbed/mistreated" etc. they're going to speak out and usually loudly. Hence the negative reviews which outweigh the good reviews. I've gone to the very same places as the negative crowd and I did not find it so. On the other hand, though, I've gone to places highly loved and came away wondering why anyone would eat there.

There's so many variables. Time of day, cook, waitress, what was ordered, your mood, your health, your expectaions, the weather, your bank account level, etc.

Also, when dealing with "foreign" food such as Mexican, you're going to get a variation in likes and dislikes, as you will in varieties of Mexican food. I'm from California and growing up, I always knew what Mexican food was like. That was before Taco Bell ever appeared. But since then I've lived in many states and their Mexican was not always my Mexican. It sort of depends on what you get accustomed to. And where the restaurant's owners and cooks are from. And then there's the Tex/Mex issue: popularized "Mexican" food that is modified to fit the taste palates of Americans. This Tex/Mex is an infusion of Mexican, American (mostly Texan), and some Southwest Indian. So is it Mexican? No! What is Mexican food?? Well I can't tell you. I've eaten from Merida to Zacatecas to Baja and in between and its all different.

So, I say all this to say: give it a try yourself. Those reviewers may not have it right, but then again they might. Restaurants come and go. Sometimes its management, sometimes its the food. In America, up to 90% of all new start restaurants close in there first year! Of those that remained open after one year 70% of them closed in 3-5 years. 90% of restaurants still open after five years will stay in business for a minimum of 10 years. Mama's did that! Much more than that! Sure these longstanding restaurants have their reputation to bolster them. But, they learn to change with the times and the changing of customers.

I think Mama's is just fine and will weather the onslaught of Travel Advisor reviewers. Its family and many here feel a part of that family!

Stop by sometime...

[Edited on 1-6-2017 by Nashville Frank]

willardguy - 1-5-2017 at 03:40 PM

thats all well and good and we could go on and on about what a legend Mama was and about all the cool memorabilia on the walls. the fact remains only two people in the restaurant at 8am and took over an hour to be served overpriced cold food.
this is the reason there's a restaurant review forum here.

David K - 1-5-2017 at 04:12 PM

Yes, and we appreciate that... the sad thing about restaurants in many Baja places is the lack of consistency. The next day, it may be totally different... and a great experience.

What is one to do, just eat PB & Js instead of taking a risk of slow service or bad food? One thing that makes Baja appealing to SOME is the adventure of the unknown or that it is different than at home.

Antonio is right to want to have a quality eatery in town, as so many restaurants and taco stands have come and gone since I have been spending more time in El Rosario the past 12 years. It will be great for his motel business, as being next to Mama's once was.

ncampion - 1-5-2017 at 04:37 PM

As I've said before, "one man's experience is one man's experience". Can't always generalize to the entire world.

Bajaboy - 1-5-2017 at 04:54 PM

Yes, and we appreciate that... the sad thing about restaurants in many Baja places is the lack of consistency. The next day, it may be totally different... and a great experience.

What is one to do, just eat PB & Js instead of taking a risk of slow service or bad food? One thing that makes Baja appealing to SOME is the adventure of the unknown or that it is different than at home.

Antonio is right to want to have a quality eatery in town, as so many restaurants and taco stands have come and gone since I have been spending more time in El Rosario the past 12 years. It will be great for his motel business, as being next to Mama's once was.

There is one...La Pasadita! In fact, that is where I ran into Antonio and his family:light:

mtgoat666 - 1-5-2017 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
As I've said before, "one man's experience is one man's experience". Can't always generalize to the entire world.

Ive had several bad meals at mamas. I Wont be back!

My meals at Mi Casa have always been great. Mi Casa is across street from baseball field. And they have fast service.

David K - 1-5-2017 at 06:04 PM

There is one...La Pasadita! In fact, that is where I ran into Antonio and his family:light:

That's a good sign!

Nashville Frank - 1-5-2017 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  

Ive had several bad meals at mamas. I Wont be back!

My meals at Mi Casa have always been great. Mi Casa is across street from baseball field. And they have fast service.

Thanks! I'll be sure and add that to my list of joints to sample in February!

Nashville Frank - 1-5-2017 at 06:36 PM

If you want a great meal in El Rosario, head east out of town. On the south side of the road, past the old military complex, you'll find La Pasadita...unless of course there are a few tractor trailers in front. The ladies have been cooking for years now and the place just keeps growing. You will get a great meal and a very good price.

I'll be sure and stop in La Pasadita as part of my survey of ER restaurants in February! Thanks

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-5-2017 at 06:40 PM

Mama Espinoza’s Restaurant is a great place to get a great meal and hang out. They have free WIFI too for your cell phones and computers. The password is on every table. Stop in and tell Roly or Gerardo that you are a friend of mine (David) the one who plays his guitar in the kitchen when he comes to El Rosario and that I sent you. You will be treated like royalty.

[Edited on 1-6-2017 by ELINVESTIG8R]

[Edited on 1-6-2017 by BajaNomad]

liknbaja127 - 1-5-2017 at 08:07 PM

We have always stopped on your way down, and have always had a good meal. It is usually an hr. but so is most sit down places in Baja.
Why be in such a hurry? they have some cool art work on the walls
to!

Skipjack Joe - 1-6-2017 at 06:39 AM

Keep in mind that most people who have a positive experience seldom post it, but those who don't will write about it.

Nashville Frank - 1-6-2017 at 07:10 AM

You got that right Skipjack! When with belly full we leave our meal, never do we kick or squeal. But if fork or plate dirty are, or the server gives a surly snar, the chicken leg is tuff and chill, raise our voice we surely will!

mtgoat666 - 1-6-2017 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Keep in mind that most people who have a positive experience seldom post it, but those who don't will write about it.

Keep in mind that most people have pretty poor taste in food, as evidenced by the overwhelming abundance of bad restaurants that continue to make money.

Ignore criticism at your peril!

Don't worry, be happy!

Mi Casa is best taco stand and b'fast joint in El Rosario!

gallesram - 1-6-2017 at 08:15 AM

It's all about expectations; Mama's had been highly recommended to us during our first visit and because of that we had high expectations (also due to its history; if a place has been around a long time, it has to be good, right?). I do appreciate the proximity to the Cactus (a 20 second walk) and they do have free WiFi, another plus. The ambiance is fun and I have never been sick after eating there. It isn't a 1, and it isn't a 10; it's probably a 6 in my book, all things considered. The meals may have been memorable in the past but not so anymore; just adequate. Sometimes that's really all I need when traveling the peninsula. I'd eat there again but certainly wouldn't rave about it to first-timers.

Russ - 1-6-2017 at 08:42 AM

Convenient food and clean lodging while on the go are the key for me. The Cactus is great but Mamas disappointed me 4 time in a row so now I push on to Jardines or further north.

DENNIS - 1-6-2017 at 09:39 AM

If ya'll can't savor the food, at least you can savor the memories. The Baja mystique was never about gourmet dining tomorrow. It's more about the adventures of pioneers that made Baja what it is today.
Soon enough there'll be a McDonalds there to enjoy. Just be patient.

El Jefe - 1-6-2017 at 10:46 AM

You arrived road weary. Almost broken, but not quite. Dusty, dirty with aches and pains earned on miles and miles of bad, rocky, sandy, muddy, potholed, glorious roads. You were way, way down in it. Baja! God it felt good to get out of the Jeep or off the bike. And here it was. Mamas! Holey moley, Mama is going to take care of us!

Your group sat down at a wooden table on straight backed wooden chairs and a young lady brought you cold beers and if felt so good. So good to be relaxed in this little civilized haven after eating out of cans for days.

It took some time for the food to arrive. But you didn't care that there was only one frying pan for eight customers. The beer kept coming and you were in frickin' Baja! And it was good.

At last the food started coming out two plates at a time. Three skinny rolled tacos with chunks of lobster (Lobster tacos!!) drizzled with melted margarine with a scoop of rice and a plop of beans on the side. Not a sprig of parsley for a hundred miles. The presentation lacked, but who cared? The food was warm and filled your belly. And it was good.

Years later you would talk with your buddies about that trip. The big adventure. And everything about it....was good.

Fast forward 30 years. The menu is the same, the service is the same and everything around has changed. Another generation drives their SUVs down in a day from LA. "Hey look Honey, they've got wifi! I hated that when we couldn't get a signal back there for a little while." And expectations at Mama's are not met, not by a long shot. "They said this place was great." Even the older generation, the ones who frequented Mama's over the years find that the old glory has faded over the years.

It's not that the food is any better or worse. It is just that our memories of those wonderful trips to the land beyond were and are still influenced by time and place.

David K - 1-6-2017 at 10:52 AM

Thank you, Tom, you captured the essence entirely!

DENNIS - 1-6-2017 at 11:04 AM

Well said, Sr. Jefe Supremo Tom. You certainly "get it."

JoeJustJoe - 1-6-2017 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nashville Frank  

Hey JoeJustJoe,

From my experience in the restaurant business and as an eater of their products, I have come to understand that many who have had a good to better to great experience with their food are so much less interested in communicating to world their experience, than are those who had bad to terrible experiences.

When they feel "robbed/snubbed/mistreated" etc. they're going to speak out and usually loudly. Hence the negative reviews which outweigh the good reviews. I've gone to the very same places as the negative crowd and I did not find it so. On the other hand, though, I've gone to places highly loved and came away wondering why anyone would eat there.

There's so many variables. Time of day, cook, waitress, what was ordered, your mood, your health, your expectaions, the weather, your bank account level, etc.

Also, when dealing with "foreign" food such as Mexican, you're going to get a variation in likes and dislikes, as you will in varieties of Mexican food. I'm from California and growing up, I always knew what Mexican food was like. That was before Taco Bell ever appeared. But since then I've lived in many states and their Mexican was not always my Mexican. It sort of depends on what you get accustomed to. And where the restaurant's owners and cooks are from. And then there's the Tex/Mex issue: popularized "Mexican" food that is modified to fit the taste palates of Americans. This Tex/Mex is an infusion of Mexican, American (mostly Texan), and some Southwest Indian. So is it Mexican? No! What is Mexican food?? Well I can't tell you. I've eaten from Merida to Zacatecas to Baja and in between and its all different.

So, I say all this to say: give it a try yourself. Those reviewers may not have it right, but then again they might. Restaurants come and go. Sometimes its management, sometimes its the food. In America, up to 90% of all new start restaurants close in there first year! Of those that remained open after one year 70% of them closed in 3-5 years. 90% of restaurants still open after five years will stay in business for a minimum of 10 years. Mama's did that! Much more than that! Sure these longstanding restaurants have their reputation to bolster them. But, they learn to change with the times and the changing of customers.

I think Mama's is just fine and will weather the onslaught of Travel Advisor reviewers. Its family and many here feel a part of that family!

Stop by sometime...

Nashville Frank, you make a lot of good points, like Mexico food is different all over the world, and if you're really from Nashville, they don't even know anything about Mexican food, but I haven't been in Tennessee, in years, but when I was there last, I couldn't even find a real Mexican restaurant, but a few places tried to pass their food off as Mexican food.

In California, where I'm born, and still live, especially from the 70's to 90's Mexican food was real different from Mexico, especially the use of hot plates to the touch, the frequent use of only refried beans and the common use of flour tortillas, over corn tortillas. Today, the Mexican food is more authentic in California, and the southwest, and some places serve regional Mexican food, the exact same way it's served in a certain region in Mexico.

You also make good points about restaurant reviews, and if you have a negative experience, you are more inclined to write a negative review than a positive review. I also believe review sites, are filled with people with an ax to grind, either towards a country, city, hotel, or restaurant.

That said, restaurant reviews, are very good, when you see patterns of either good or bad reviews, especially when the reviewers are mostly saying the same thing over and over again, as the case of Mama's restaurant.

So what I do is look for patterns, of either positive reviews, and I'll book that hotel, or visit the restaurant, but if I see a pattern of negative reviews, I avoid the place, because the odds are too great I will have a bad experience.

Sadly, Mama Espinoza, just has too many bad reviews, that say the same negative things over and over again, to warrant a visit from me, unless I want to visit on nostalgia grounds, because of it's long history.

How do you ignore so many bad reviews on travel sites, and even on "Baja Nomad" from it's own members, although there are a few good reviews too?
--------
From Trip Advisor:

“Over rated”

It is my opinion that this restaurant survives pretty much on it's historical significance. Mama Espinosa recently passed away at age 106 (not exactly sure of this number) and during her heyday she had a lot of people dedicated to stopping at her restaurant. Recently it seems that the younger generation doesn't have the kitchen knowledge that prevailed in earlier...

Over-priced and under-whelming”

If you're south bound, this may be your first Baja stopover and your first Mexican meal. That's too bad. Mediocre cookie-cutter fare like you'd find at a Mexican restaurant in the states. They seem to be resting on the traffic from the Baja Cactus next door rather than trying to put out great food. Years ago I'm sure they did...

“A big disappointment”

Our greatest disappointment throughout Baja! Poorest service, not only they do not speak English, they are unfriendly too! Food is average but prices are high!

We stayed next door at the Cactus Motel and had dinner and breakfast at Mama Espinoza's. Dinner was just average. The steak was thin, tough and very hard to cut on the plastic plate. The salsas were delicious. Breakfast was Rancheros with the egg floating in the salsa. Good coffee. Would eat there again as it has such a great...

Bajazly - 1-6-2017 at 12:35 PM

I find those who solely rely on Trip Advisor, yelp and the million other review sites out there to do or not to do something, generally have a very poor sense of adventure and rely on the herd to steer them to safe, status quo experiences. If you are looking for a plumber, great, yelp away but if you're looking to see pieces of a glorious and colorful past, if the food isn't 5 star, who gives a flying rats culo.

Some of my most memorable times have involved very poor food but what I gained in memories of the experience as a whole, the bad food or poor service have long since been forgotten.

Nashville Frank - 1-6-2017 at 12:37 PM

JoeJustJoe,
I'm true blue Californiano. Born in Gilroy (1950), lived in Salinas, Marina, Fresno, San Martin, Campbell, San Jose. Then time in Arizona, New Mexico.

I've spent the last 20 years occupying Tennessee for the forces of the Bear Republic! While here, I've seen the change to a proliferation of Mexican eateries by the dozens, that are run by immigrants from our 52nd state, Mexico (Puerto Rico is #51) and other places south. I work almost exclusively with Latinos each day. They feed me too!

I understand Mexican food!

I think one should try (more than once) before they give the thumbs up or down.

Nashville Frank - 1-6-2017 at 12:40 PM

WOW!!! With that post I became a JUNIOR NOMAD. I'm honored to be considered a nomad and not a newbie!!:bounce:

TRUTH

Nashville Frank - 1-6-2017 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
You arrived road weary. Almost broken, but not quite. Dusty, dirty with aches and pains earned on miles and miles of bad, rocky, sandy, muddy, potholed, glorious roads. You were way, way down in it. Baja! God it felt good to get out of the Jeep or off the bike. And here it was. Mamas! Holey moley, Mama is going to take care of us!

Your group sat down at a wooden table on straight backed wooden chairs and a young lady brought you cold beers and if felt so good. So good to be relaxed in this little civilized haven after eating out of cans for days.

It took some time for the food to arrive. But you didn't care that there was only one frying pan for eight customers. The beer kept coming and you were in frickin' Baja! And it was good.

At last the food started coming out two plates at a time. Three skinny rolled tacos with chunks of lobster (Lobster tacos!!) drizzled with melted margarine with a scoop of rice and a plop of beans on the side. Not a sprig of parsley for a hundred miles. The presentation lacked, but who cared? The food was warm and filled your belly. And it was good.

Years later you would talk with your buddies about that trip. The big adventure. And everything about it....was good.

Fast forward 30 years. The menu is the same, the service is the same and everything around has changed. Another generation drives their SUVs down in a day from LA. "Hey look Honey, they've got wifi! I hated that when we couldn't get a signal back there for a little while." And expectations at Mama's are not met, not by a long shot. "They said this place was great." Even the older generation, the ones who frequented Mama's over the years find that the old glory has faded over the years.

It's not that the food is any better or worse. It is just that our memories of those wonderful trips to the land beyond were and are still influenced by time and place.

EL Jefe, he speak truth! Well said :cool:

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-6-2017 at 12:47 PM

JOEJUSTOE YOU DEFINITELY ARE THE
QUEEN OF CUT-AND-PASTE!

Hey JoeJustJoe,

Stop by sometime...

Nashville Frank, you make a lot of good points, like Mexico food is different all over the world, and if you're really from Nashville, they don't even know anything about Mexican food, but I haven't been in Tennessee, in years, but when I was there last, I couldn't even find a real Mexican restaurant, but a few places tried to pass their food off as Mexican food.

In California, where I'm born, and still live, especially from the 70's to 90's Mexican food was real different from Mexico, especially the use of hot plates to the touch, the frequent use of only refried beans and the common use of flour tortillas, over corn tortillas. Today, the Mexican food is more authentic in California, and the southwest, and some places serve regional Mexican food, the exact same way it's served in a certain region in Mexico.

You also make good points about restaurant reviews, and if you have a negative experience, you are more inclined to write a negative review than a positive review. I also believe review sites, are filled with people with an ax to grind, either towards a country, city, hotel, or restaurant.

That said, restaurant reviews, are very good, when you see patterns of either good or bad reviews, especially when the reviewers are mostly saying the same thing over and over again, as the case of Mama's restaurant.

So what I do is look for patterns, of either positive reviews, and I'll book that hotel, or visit the restaurant, but if I see a pattern of negative reviews, I avoid the place, because the odds are too great I will have a bad experience.

Sadly, Mama Espinoza, just has too many bad reviews, that say the same negative things over and over again, to warrant a visit from me, unless I want to visit on nostalgia grounds, because of it's long history.

How do you ignore so many bad reviews on travel sites, and even on "Baja Nomad" from it's own members, although there are a few good reviews too?
--------
From Trip Advisor:

“Over rated”

It is my opinion that this restaurant survives pretty much on it's historical significance. Mama Espinosa recently passed away at age 106 (not exactly sure of this number) and during her heyday she had a lot of people dedicated to stopping at her restaurant. Recently it seems that the younger generation doesn't have the kitchen knowledge that prevailed in earlier...

Over-priced and under-whelming”

If you're south bound, this may be your first Baja stopover and your first Mexican meal. That's too bad. Mediocre cookie-cutter fare like you'd find at a Mexican restaurant in the states. They seem to be resting on the traffic from the Baja Cactus next door rather than trying to put out great food. Years ago I'm sure they did...

“A big disappointment”

Our greatest disappointment throughout Baja! Poorest service, not only they do not speak English, they are unfriendly too! Food is average but prices are high!

We stayed next door at the Cactus Motel and had dinner and breakfast at Mama Espinoza's. Dinner was just average. The steak was thin, tough and very hard to cut on the plastic plate. The salsas were delicious. Breakfast was Rancheros with the egg floating in the salsa. Good coffee. Would eat there again as it has such a great...

[Edited on 1-9-2017 by BajaNomad]

mtgoat666 - 1-6-2017 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
...if the food isn't 5 star, who gives a flying rats culo.

My dogs say the same thing! I dont rely on my dogs for restaurant recommendatios :light:

JoeJustJoe - 1-6-2017 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
I find those who solely rely on Trip Advisor, yelp and the million other review sites out there to do or not to do something, generally have a very poor sense of adventure and rely on the herd to steer them to safe, status quo experiences. If you are looking for a plumber, great, yelp away but if you're looking to see pieces of a glorious and colorful past, if the food isn't 5 star, who gives a flying rats culo.

Some of my most memorable times have involved very poor food but what I gained in memories of the experience as a whole, the bad food or poor service have long since been forgotten.

No kidding, remind me to avoid Bajazly's food recommendations, because he puts up with very poor food choices, because he didn't take the time to review where he was going, or where he was eating at, which could be a deadly mistake, because the world is a dangerous place, not just Mexico.

Those that know me, know I don't have a poor sense of adventure, or always like to have that heard experience, and in fact I like to go where I don't see a lot of Americans, especially the ugly Americans. complaining in a loud voices, that something is not as good as it is back in the states.

I usually also trust the advise of the hotel's concierge desk, and if it's a smaller hotel, someone at the hotel, usually can make great recommendations.

What I'm wary about are nostalgia reviews looking back at a restaurant 10 to 15 years ago, and saying it's still a great place.

soulpatch - 1-6-2017 at 04:49 PM

Another thread in the chitter.
Very close to schlocking.
:cool:

JoeJustJoe - 1-6-2017 at 05:43 PM

Mama Espinoza's, it seems has been getting bad reviews at least way back to 2007 on "Baja Nomad," where many members complained about restaurant, calling it an over priced tourist trip.

And ELINVESTIG8R, the restaurants, number one fan, in 2007 didn't even try to defend the restaurants food, but instead made excuses for Mama, who was pushing 100 years of age, and was no longer involved with running the restaurant.( see his post in page 4)

I'm at a lost why this obvious over priced tourist trap gets so much play on this site, maybe, compared to "Taco Bell" it's great.

$10 dollars, for 3 tacos in a small town in Baja, in 2007, should have been a crime if you ask me.

Mama Espinoza's -- never again

Someone before mentioned overpriced these days----understatement! Ten dollars for 3 taco dorados and some rice and beans-----grossly overpriced.

We are not crazy about eating at Baja Bed and Breakfast----too many flies and having someone on a fly killing rampage while we are eating, is just not fun. Besides, too many smokers.

So, since we really like staying at Baja Cactus, we need to keep trying other places to eat.

Diane

see the rest of the thread here:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26312

DENNIS - 1-6-2017 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

Whoever might have expected such a development? I'm freekin stunned.

soulpatch - 1-6-2017 at 07:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

Whoever might have expected such a development? I'm freekin stunned.

Jajajaja, it's Obama's fault.
Wait, no, who was that hero, the guy who closed the state hospitals?
Is it his fault?:saint:

Hook - 1-6-2017 at 09:21 PM

Isn't it about time these clowns were shown the door?

Nashville Frank - 1-6-2017 at 09:30 PM

Mama Espinoza's, it seems has been getting bad reviews at least way back to 2007 on "Baja Nomad," where many members complained about restaurant, calling it an over priced tourist trip.

And ELINVESTIG8R, the restaurants, number one fan, in 2007 didn't even try to defend the restaurants food, but instead made excuses for Mama, who was pushing 100 years of age, and was no longer involved with running the restaurant.( see his post in page 4)

I'm at a lost why this obvious over priced tourist trap gets so much play on this site, maybe, compared to "Taco Bell" it's great.

$10 dollars, for 3 tacos in a small town in Baja, in 2007, should have been a crime if you ask me.

Mama Espinoza's -- never again

Someone before mentioned overpriced these days----understatement! Ten dollars for 3 taco dorados and some rice and beans-----grossly overpriced.

We are not crazy about eating at Baja Bed and Breakfast----too many flies and having someone on a fly killing rampage while we are eating, is just not fun. Besides, too many smokers.

So, since we really like staying at Baja Cactus, we need to keep trying other places to eat.

Diane

see the rest of the thread here:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26312

:) ;D :) ;)

Trip Advisor's rating = 4 out of 5 ****, 84 reviews [Terrible=3, Poor=4, Average=21, Very Good=19, Excellent=19]

Google Reviews = 4.2 out of 5 ****, 35 reviews

There are multiple Trip Advisor website ratings listed in a google/bing search but with different star amounts.
But, if you go to these webpages, they're all the same, even though they may be in English, Spanish, German, or from England or elsewhere

Are some of you just taking the lowballers comments as "gospel" and ignoring the Very Good to Excellent which far outweigh them?? Seems like maybe....;D

And of course, they far outweigh them because they've been eating so much of Mama's food!:tumble:

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-7-2017 at 09:08 AM

Yes by all means please show the clowns the door. They do not belong in here with polite society. Jeeeezus!

Mama Espinoza’s Restaurant is a great place to get a great meal and hang out. They have free WIFI too for your cell phones and computers. The password is on every table. Stop in and tell Roly or Gerardo that you are a friend of mine (David) the one who plays his guitar in the kitchen when he comes to El Rosario and that I sent you. You will be treated like royalty.

greengoes - 1-7-2017 at 09:34 AM

Those that know me, know I don't have a poor sense of adventure, or always like to have that heard experience, and in fact I like to go where I don't see a lot of Americans, especially the ugly Americans. complaining in a loud voices, that something is not as good as it is back in the states.

lol....you never go further south than Zona Norte

motoged - 1-7-2017 at 09:47 AM

This guy makes Mr. Bile seem sort of mellow....

How about a smile, Davey ?

Udo - 1-7-2017 at 09:51 AM

Thanks for your comments, Frank.

I was in the restaurant business, and know what it is like.

Have you read any of my other previous posts regarding their (now defunct) crab soup? Those should have sent hundreds of people to the restaurant. I have eaten there dozens of times for breakfast lunch and dinner.

This was not just a case of a bad day at the restaurant. It is a pattern after the matriarch passed away.

We were the ONLY ones at the restaurant, and had to wait an hour for an omelette and sunny side up Huevos Rancheros. A meal that should take 5-6 minutes to prepare. And did I mention it took an hour to get the food served and it was barely warm?

If this restaurant can't put out decent good quality food on a consistent basis, and at a reasonable price, then perhaps they should turn the place into some kind of shrine or pubic museum....

I also pay close attention to reviews, and when you see the same complaints over, and over again....

Hey JoeJustJoe,

Stop by sometime...

David K - 1-7-2017 at 10:10 AM

You should have walked out after 20 minutes Udo. It is not the only place in town. We have been lucky at Mama's but usually go to Ed's (Baja's Best) for meals.

We last ate at Mama's in July (2016), for breakfast, with Antonio and Itzela... all went well, food was good.
Sad that Roli isn't maintaining the place or her son/ grandson(?), who did so well remodeling the place in 2009.

mtgoat666 - 1-7-2017 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R  
Yes by all means please show the clowns the door. They do not belong in here with polite society. Jeeeezus!

Said miss manners! :lol::lol::lol:

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-7-2017 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Said miss manners! :lol::lol::lol:

SAID THE JOEJUSTJOE SYCOPHANT

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-7-2017 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

I AM SMILING!

DENNIS - 1-7-2017 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
[rquote]=1063193&tid=85364&author=Udo]We were the ONLY ones at the restaurant, and had to wait an hour for an omelette and sunny side up Huevos Rancheros. A meal that should take 5-6 minutes to prepare. And did I mention it took an hour to get the food served and it was barely warm?

I've been in restaurants here and watched the dishwasher leave the building to go to the store for things needed to fill my order. :lol:

vandenberg - 1-7-2017 at 12:19 PM

I've been in restaurants here and watched the dishwasher leave the building to go to the store for things needed to fill my order. :lol:

Happens, especially in small towns where they operate on a shoestring budgetand can't afford to toss unused items. any restaurants worst waste of money btw

bkbend - 1-7-2017 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

Happens, especially in small towns where they operate on a shoestring budgetand can't afford to toss unused items. any restaurants worst waste of money btw

I sort of assumed it to be standard operating procedure. Drink, be merry, then eat.

paranewbi - 1-7-2017 at 12:38 PM

I had a reason to travel to Pennsylvania several times this past year and spent time all over the state. In two places I was surprised to find a Mexican restaurant in each that had awesome furniture from Guadalajara and a well stocked bar of south of the border concoctions. Several of the dishes were run of the mill offerings standard but a few of the dishes were outright pleasingly authentic! And the big surprise was that they both were staffed with a large group of Mexicans (mostly via Texas).

I've learned during a long life in San Diego that to visit the neighborhoods of the Mexicans was to find delicious original food either in their eateries or homes (get your tamales here!). Finding such a large group of our southern friends led me to ask where they lived in this largely white rural area of Pennsylvania. Alas they lived spread out and there was no distinctive neighborhood to remind me of what we take for granted in San Diego.

The fun part was that at one time my wife and I returned to one of the restaurants with our Pennsylvania relatives...they wanted to know what to order, how to eat it, and left the re-fried beans on the plates.

Bajazly - 1-7-2017 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

I AM SMILING!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

chuckie - 1-7-2017 at 01:01 PM

He aint bad...

willardguy - 1-7-2017 at 01:35 PM

We were the ONLY ones at the restaurant, and had to wait an hour for an omelette and sunny side up Huevos Rancheros. A meal that should take 5-6 minutes to prepare. And did I mention it took an hour to get the food served and it was barely warm?

it happens, after your buddy george from the lighthouse fled mexico the staff tried to keep it going, they would ask for money up front and would bolt across the street to the la mision market to buy your beer order! :lol:

Nashville Frank - 1-7-2017 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
I had a reason to travel to Pennsylvania several times this past year and spent time all over the state. In two places I was surprised to find a Mexican restaurant in each that had awesome furniture from Guadalajara and a well stocked bar of south of the border concoctions. Several of the dishes were run of the mill offerings standard but a few of the dishes were outright pleasingly authentic! And the big surprise was that they both were staffed with a large group of Mexicans (mostly via Texas).

I've learned during a long life in San Diego that to visit the neighborhoods of the Mexicans was to find delicious original food either in their eateries or homes (get your tamales here!). Finding such a large group of our southern friends led me to ask where they lived in this largely white rural area of Pennsylvania. Alas they lived spread out and there was no distinctive neighborhood to remind me of what we take for granted in San Diego.

The fun part was that at one time my wife and I returned to one of the restaurants with our Pennsylvania relatives...they wanted to know what to order, how to eat it, and left the re-fried beans on the plates.

You're right on there, paranewbi! Our Nashville and Atlanta (my wife's hometown, I'm from Nor Cal) neighbors and friends aren't sure about Mexican food due to the Taco Bell syndrome. But, with the popularity of Nashville Hot Chicken they've started trying the "racier" Mex food. But, for someone to leave the frijoles!!! That's outrageous! I'm addicted to them.

It reminds me when I lived in Peru for 3 years and we invited Peruvians over. We fed them a typical American meal. Meat, potatoes and gravy, veggies. They liked it all but not the gravy! It just wasn't right with them! I know Mexicans who say the same. So, I guess your relatives and my Peruvian friends are alike - not all commonplace things will translate, taste-wise. Its like me and menudo! No way man!

chuckie - 1-7-2017 at 01:56 PM

Since this thread is about Mama Espinozas, has anyone eaten in Kazakstan or Peoria?

Nashville Frank - 1-7-2017 at 02:10 PM

Thanks for your comments, Frank.

I was in the restaurant business, and know what it is like.

Have you read any of my other previous posts regarding their (now defunct) crab soup? Those should have sent hundreds of people to the restaurant. I have eaten there dozens of times for breakfast lunch and dinner.

This was not just a case of a bad day at the restaurant. It is a pattern after the matriarch passed away.

Udo, sir. I bow to you and your wisdom! Just looked at your bio: Exec Chef & Caterer! Wow, I was just the son of the restaurant owner (worked as short order cook/bottlewasher). You beat me by a long shot in your experience!

Also, your long relationship with Mama's makes you the expert.

Of course we all know supply and demand in the restaurant business and the stability of one's delivery system affect one's ability to readily produce an menu item. And in Baja, a quick run to the store might happen often. But, for that to occur over time and for the product not to continue to thrill says somethings rotten in Denmark. Can't you smell it?

But, of course, the place can continue to function and may someday regain its soul!

[Edited on 1-7-2017 by Nashville Frank]

Nashville Frank - 1-7-2017 at 02:15 PM

Since this thread is about Mama Espinozas, has anyone eaten in Kazakstan or Peoria?

chuckie,
No. How about we plan a group tour of our food reviewers to those two locales and we report back to the Nomads? Can you coordinate it for us?
;D

chuckie - 1-7-2017 at 02:35 PM

Why? This forum is about Baja..Perhaps we should talk about that...I didn't even know we had food reviewers, must be new....AND WHY WHY in the world would anyone WANT to go to a restaurant in BAJA that 800 people have reviewed on some website?..BAJA (that's what this is about) has gazillions of lil places to explore...It seems as if most of the people coming down are like sheep needing to follow ...No Cojones....

JoeJustJoe - 1-7-2017 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by greengoes  

lol....you never go further south than Zona Norte

I would like to know Greengoes' review of Mama's restaurant, because I doubt it would be too good, based on his two previous reviews on two Ensenada restaurants, where he recently wrote on some obscure, anti-Baja, Facebook group site.

On Greengoes, two negative reviews on that Facebook group, he wrote recently the food tasted like "feces" and the second Ensenada, review, he didn't talk about the food, but said, when you went to the bathroom, and flushed the toilet, the pipes ran directly into the ocean! Yeah right.

Of course, I never believe a word, Greengoes says, but it brings up a good point. That you need to take reviews with a grain of salt, and pretty much throw out the worse reviews, and best reviews, and looks for the overall pattern of what the majority of reviewers are saying, to get a good idea of what kind of experience you will have.

Nashville Frank - 1-7-2017 at 03:00 PM

Why? This forum is about Baja..Perhaps we should talk about that...I didn't even know we had food reviewers, must be new....AND WHY WHY in the world would anyone WANT to go to a restaurant in BAJA that 800 people have reviewed on some website?..BAJA (that's what this is about) has gazillions of lil places to explore...It seems as if most of the people coming down are like sheep needing to follow ...No Cojones....

Well gosh, chuckie, I thought everyone who eats is a food critic! And the reference in earlier posts about food elsewhere was just to illustrate our differences in taste.

Now, I'm with you on exploration...in food...in nature...in culture...and Baja sure has some unexplored places...food...and culture. I'm heading back there in three weeks to keep exploring.

Speaking of exploration...I tried something different in Lazaro Card##as/San Quintin in July. I decided to give into my yearning for Italiano, so I went to this pizza pie place on Hwy 1, a little dive down an alley. They had pizzas from little personal size to HUGE ones, the box must have been 4 feet square. It thought, well this is crazy! What kind of place is this? Mexican made pizza??? It was delicioso! Our group of 10 loved the different styles we bought! I'm a believer now in Mexican pizza!

So let's continue to explore our beloved peninsula for those rare moments of gastronomic bliss!
Frank

chuckie - 1-7-2017 at 03:01 PM

Why would anyone care about your last post?

DENNIS - 1-7-2017 at 04:22 PM

OT has returned. Sad. There's a place for all this childish nonsense, and it's not here.

chuckie - 1-7-2017 at 04:23 PM

AYe

rts551 - 1-7-2017 at 05:40 PM

Agreed. better yet...eat in San Quintin

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-7-2017 at 05:46 PM

ELINVESTIG8R'S PREFERRED METHOD OF EATING WHILE IN LA BAJA! DRIED COW MEAT AFTER IT WAS KILLED BY A MOUNTAIN LION IN THE SAN JUAN DE DIOS MOUNTAINS!

MAMA'S ESPINOZA'S RESTAURANT STARTED HERE MANY YEARS AGO WHEN MAMA LIVED IN THIS HUMBLE HOUSE IN RANCHO EL METATE SAN JUAN DE DIOS MOUNTAINS. THIS IS WHERE SHE COOKED FOR HER HUSBAND HERACLIO, HIRED COWHANDS AND GUESTS. SHE WAS A GREAT COOK!

THEN ON TO EL ROSARIO

THIS IS MAMA'S LAST PAIR OF PANTUFLAS SHE EVER MADE AND SHE GAVE THEM TO ME.

MAMA GETTING READY TO SING HIDALGO

CLICK HERE TO HEAR MAMA SING HIDALGO

ALL CULMINATING HERE AFTER 109 YEARS

Skipjack Joe - 1-7-2017 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Isn't it about time these clowns were shown the door?

Someone left the door to OffTopic unlocked and all the vermin crawled out.

Nashville Frank - 1-7-2017 at 09:00 PM

huh?

[Edited on 1-8-2017 by Nashville Frank]

del mar - 1-7-2017 at 09:06 PM

whats wrong with you people:(

Bubba - 1-8-2017 at 06:15 AM

To bad that informative posts get derailed by idiots.

chuckie - 1-8-2017 at 07:14 AM

Machaca....quite good in scrambled eggs....and very common....Our gourmet pizza guy never heard of it....

Lobsterman - 1-8-2017 at 07:38 AM

Thanks El for the history lesson on Mama and her rise to fame from a hovel in the Baja outback. Love to read about success stories of common folk that through a lifetime of hard work are able rise to the heights she did. Through your autobiography one could also read about what a beautiful woman she was on the inside as well.

But before even knowing who Mama was or for that matter that the restaurant was named after her, I stopped there once way back in time on my many fishing trips south to fish LA or Conception Bays. From then on I was hooked and reeled in. The lobster in its many different plates there was the clincher. From then on being the wagon master on most trips south, I always tried to schedule our down and back departure times around eating at Mama's. Even on our last trip to LA Bay in May.

Guess I was lucky or my taste bubs and/or conception of Baja time is way off from some of you but I found ALL my experiences at Mama's to be memorable with some more memorable than others.

[Edited on 1-8-2017 by Lobsterman]

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-8-2017 at 09:15 AM

Machaca....quite good in scrambled eggs....and very common....Our gourmet pizza guy never heard of it....

HI CHUCKIE, MAMA'S HAS GREAT FRESH MACHACA!

Pages:  1