BajaNomad

Trip Report Coming: 8 days Baja Exploring and Recon

David K - 1-4-2017 at 01:08 PM

Hi Guys, I replied to a couple threads this morning but will have a trip report on the 8 day trip down the east side of Baja Norte.

It began with a fun but grueling climb up a cliff as Baja Geoff and I took a look at a possible target Geoff saw on Google Earth for the mysterious lost Melchior Diaz grave site (or 'Rock Pile' as Walter Henderson called it).

Next, with a desire to check out all campos that may offer camping and a few beaches and historic points of interest, I spent the next seven days (and COLD nights) from Km. 0 (south of San Felipe) to Punta San Francisquito and back.

Besides all the typical cool Baja stuff, the icing on the cake was meeting and visiting with Linda and Ivan Stewart at Chelo's Restaurant, south of San Felipe.

So, stay tuned for details and photos... it may take a few days... you know how I am with this stuff! LOL

PS It was fun to visit with Mothership (Mando), Paulina, Dern, and Ritchie Hudson (forgot his Nomad name), and just missed saying hi to Baja Rob and Connie, as well as Bob53... but he works not far from my home and I can catch up with him there.

Photo from Mothership: David K, Paulina, Dern, Dec. 31, 2016 Bahia de los Angeles

TRIP REPORT BEGINS: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85374

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by David K]

David K - 1-4-2017 at 01:26 PM

David Kier and Ivan Stewart (the real creator of the TRD Off Road Tacoma) and multiple Baja 1000 and 500 championships.

[Edited on 1-4-2017 by David K]

BigBearRider - 1-4-2017 at 01:42 PM

BigBearRider likes how you caption the pictures with your own full name.

BigBearRider thinks it's like talking about yourself in the third person!

BigBearRider is looking forward to seeing the pics!

[Edited on 1-4-2017 by BigBearRider]

David K - 1-4-2017 at 01:44 PM

I figured because Ivan is holding my book, and my full name is on it, why not? LOL;)

AKgringo - 1-4-2017 at 01:47 PM

Did you get him to sign your Tacoma? It might increase the value!

DanO - 1-4-2017 at 01:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Did you get him to sign your Tacoma? It might increase the value!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

David K - 1-4-2017 at 02:11 PM

My Tacoma is awesome and not for sale...

Let's have a great year... and this is my photo from New Year's Morning 2017...

Bob53 - 1-4-2017 at 02:19 PM

Sorry I missed you. I was literally 150 yards from my house when you stopped by. It was nice meeting Mando while eating at China's.

BigBearRider - 1-4-2017 at 02:31 PM

Did Coco give you the t-shirt? Is it a 2XL?

mtgoat666 - 1-4-2017 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Hi Guys, I replied to a couple threads

Photo from Mothership: David K, Paulina, Dern, Dec. 31, 2016 Bahia de los Angeles

Cute fatigues

[Edited on 1-4-2017 by mtgoat666]

David K - 1-4-2017 at 03:14 PM

Coco doesn't give away what he makes a living selling. It was $20, and yes, 2XL. Lol.

Goat, when I go camping I am not fashion concious and cammies seem to be outdoor styling if was important.

Now, how about some serious conversation?

BigBearRider - 1-4-2017 at 03:50 PM

Good points.

mtgoat666 - 1-4-2017 at 04:01 PM

when I go camping I am not fashion concious and cammies seem to be outdoor styling if was important.

Cammies.
Rhymes with jammies.
:lol:

Barry A. - 1-4-2017 at 05:56 PM

Fabulous picture of New years morning, David. I could put that one on my wall!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you.

David K - 1-4-2017 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Fabulous picture of New years morning, David. I could put that one on my wall!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you.

Thank you Barry... the same to you amigo!
I have all 333 photos I took downloaded... so now I must select a few for each day of my expedition to share for anyone who wants a look. I have a couple of doozies, too. I scratched the heck out of my Tacoma to get to a couple of these sites, as I just never know if it will be the last time... and they are worth it!

Nashville Frank - 1-4-2017 at 08:31 PM

Wowww, love the pic!! David can I use it for a Baja presentation I'm giving this month?? Where was it taken? Of course I'll attribute it to the far out DK!
Thanks
Frank

Let's have a great year... and this is my photo from New Year's Morning 2017 rquote]

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by Nashville Frank]

David K - 1-4-2017 at 09:42 PM

About 5 miles south of Bahia las Animas where I was on New Years Eve. About 5 miles south of Bahia las Animas where I was on New Years Eve.
Yes, please use the photo! Baja is there for all of us Nomads and future Nomads!

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by David K]

David K - 1-4-2017 at 10:33 PM

Will get you down the road soon...

Nashville Frank - 1-4-2017 at 10:45 PM

Another excellent image David! I want to be there right now!

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by Nashville Frank]

Bajaboy - 1-4-2017 at 10:48 PM

Glad you had a great visit down south! Did you get all the uncomfortable questions regarding Trump as we did?! Did Paulina give you a Bernie sticker?:P

We were fortunate to run into many good friends in random places as well. We met Antonio as he was taking his parents down to Santa Rosalia to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.

David K - 1-4-2017 at 11:06 PM

Not even one comment, but why would there be any, politics is just that. I think they will be happy that Americans will have a chance at being prosperous again... 8 years of no growth is far too long!

Paulina did offer me a Bernie shirt, LOL. It sure sucks how he got shafted by the Clinton machine, right? ;)

Pancho is now an official distributor of my book! He is so sweet, he had enjoyed looking at it (don't think he reads much English) after I gave him a copy in September. He asked for 50 books he would sell for a commission! I had two copies I gave him and said he can keep all the money he makes from selling them. Such a nice guy... he was tipsy celebrating New Years with a net fisherman on the beach.

Oh, he still needs a new battery... he has no electricity at night, only during the day with the solar panels. I posted the request last September for him, and I thought a Nomad said they would take him one. If a Nomad would like a copy of Baja California Land of Missions and is around San Rafael, please get one from Pancho and help him with a little cash. He does have Pacificos for sale.

Bajaboy - 1-4-2017 at 11:19 PM

Not even one comment, but why would there be any, politics is just that. I think they will be happy that Americans will have a chance at being prosperous again... 8 years of no growth is far too long!

Paulina did offer me a Bernie shirt, LOL. It sure sucks how he got shafted by the Clinton machine, right? ;)

Pancho is now an official distributor of my book! He is so sweet, he had enjoyed looking at it (don't think he reads much English) after I gave him a copy in September. He asked for 50 books he would sell for a commission! I had two copies I gave him and said he can keep all the money he makes from selling them. Such a nice guy... he was tipsy celebrating New Years with a net fisherman on the beach.

Oh, he still needs a new battery... he has no electricity at night, only during the day with the solar panels. I posted the request last September for him, and I thought a Nomad said they would take him one. If a Nomad would like a copy of Baja California Land of Missions and is around San Rafael, please get one from Pancho and help him with a little cash. He does have Pacificos for sale.

I need to get down and see Pancho. Glad he is doing well. Hopefully we can make it in spring.

Yes it is too bad Sanders got the shaft. But I have to disagree with you about the last 8 years. I have two new cars, more income (thanks to my union), and a bigger house! I just divested some of my stock portfolio which has more than doubled in the last 8 years as well. I'm sorry things haven't worked out as well for you.

I do have some irrigation needs if you are willing to drive down to Spring Valley. You can let me know via U2U if interested.

I look forward to your trip report.

David K - 1-5-2017 at 12:12 AM

Thank you, as always we can agree to disagree. Let's see non-(government) union citizens have some prosperity now so the wealth is not limited to a group that must pay for that privilege. We all should have prosperity we work for.

Send my your address and I will come look it over when you are home nd discuss the options you have using the most efficient irrigation systems available.

David K - 1-5-2017 at 12:15 AM

TRIP REPORT BEGINS HERE: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85374

mtgoat666 - 1-5-2017 at 02:04 AM

I think they will be happy that Americans will have a chance at being prosperous again... 8 years of no growth is far too long!

No growth? Not sure what planet you live on. Our USA economy has done remarkably well given the long-term stagnation in china and Europe.

I am hopeful that putin's patsy works out for you, and all of us.
But I am also making plans to protect my assets should putin's patsy fail.
While I am hopeful that USA government can suffer thru 4 yrs of incompetence under putin's patsy, we should all plan for the worst - his cabinet appointments indicate putin's patsy is turning over govt to the corporate oligarchy.

ehall - 1-5-2017 at 07:00 AM

Great picture of you and the Ironman! Beautiful pics of the scenery too.

fishbuck - 1-6-2017 at 01:35 PM

Nice photo!

Let's have a great year... and this is my photo from New Year's Morning 2017...

shari - 1-6-2017 at 02:29 PM

WOW WOW WOW....that rainbow photo is epic....should win the photo of the week on Talk Baja! It would be a great one to cheer people up. And it is great to see Paulina & Dern...been way too long since we crossed caminos! Glad you had a nice trip and wish you a prosperous 2017...hopefully with more guided tours!

David K - 1-6-2017 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
WOW WOW WOW....that rainbow photo is epic....should win the photo of the week on Talk Baja! It would be a great one to cheer people up. And it is great to see Paulina & Dern...been way too long since we crossed caminos! Glad you had a nice trip and wish you a prosperous 2017...hopefully with more guided tours!

Thank you! I guess I should post the trip report on Talk Baja, too?

Mike, see the full report (link above) in the Nomad Baja Trip Reports forum.