BajaNomad

Has the motor fuel supply problem changed your travel plans

mtgoat666 - 1-11-2017 at 03:24 PM

With news of roadblocks and stations out of fuel, wondering if you have changed your travel plans?

Beagle - 1-11-2017 at 03:27 PM

I voted.

So, Goat. What's your travel plans? Or you're already down there? Or is this for an article?

mtgoat666 - 1-11-2017 at 03:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
I voted.

So, Goat. What's your travel plans? Or you're already down there? Or is this for an article?

Im just curious, but i do have trip south planned for february, so HOPING gasoline supply is not an issue next month.

AKgringo - 1-11-2017 at 04:17 PM

There was no option for 'Ask me again in March', so I voted for option #1. I hope this is just temporary, but I would not go right now!

chuckie - 1-11-2017 at 04:31 PM

Yeah, that was a tough question...I am not going back to Baja but will be on the road to Az for a while and thence to Venice La. for some serious fishing. Waiting for the VA to quit messin with me...Happy Trails, all

Aldervale - 1-11-2017 at 04:46 PM

MTgoat

Thanks for posting this....we are putting of till Feb depending on the fuel situation AND somewhat to get a little different weather and flower viewing than January.

We welcome an ongoing discussion on fuel.

Aldervale

Beagle - 1-11-2017 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
There was no option for 'Ask me again in March', so I voted for option #1. I hope this is just temporary, but I would not go right now!

Here's hoping for March. We are flying into SJD and then driving North to San Jaunico, making various stops. Hoping all is well.

KurtG - 1-11-2017 at 07:29 PM

I'll be crossing the border in about 10 days and am assuming things will be better by then but will play it by ear. My KLR has a 300 mile range with my oversize tank which helps a lot.

Nashville Frank - 1-11-2017 at 09:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
I voted.

Im just curious, but i do have trip south planned for february, so HOPING gasoline supply is not an issue next month.

Hey Mtgoat,
I'm headed there the first week in Feb. and am hoping, like you, that things have settled down. However, someone posted an article recently that said they're going to raise the price again in February. Are they nuts?? :O
http://www.forbes.com.mx/ya-viene-segundo-gasolinazo-febrero...

Frank

[Edited on 1-12-2017 by Nashville Frank]

Ken Cooke - 1-11-2017 at 09:22 PM

How do you screw up event logistics? Introduce gasoline supply issues!:fire:

David K - 1-11-2017 at 09:47 PM

Ken, Calexico and El Centro have gas, but you need to fill jerry cans (in Mexicali) so you can add fuel to those thirsty Jeeps with small tanks. I bet this crisis ends in the next few days and your event over a month away will be fine.

[Edited on 1-12-2017 by David K]

hombre66 - 1-11-2017 at 10:01 PM

DK, are you encouraging folks to jerry can up stateside? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was verboten to haul U.S. gas into Baja.

David K - 1-11-2017 at 10:14 PM

No, if you could cross with extra gas then Ken has no problem. I will clearly say that without being able to fill jerry cans in Mexicali, his trip would be in trouble.

[Edited on 1-12-2017 by David K]

hombre66 - 1-11-2017 at 10:24 PM

Your reply to Ken doesn't read like that. It reads like: Fill your J cans in Calexico/El Centro.... In your opinion/experience, is it forbidden to transport US gas to Baja? (just a yes or no will suffice.)

JZ - 1-12-2017 at 01:42 AM

Yes, it's forbidden and is one think they almost always check for to see if the the cans are empty.

PaulW - 1-12-2017 at 03:02 AM

Inconvenient - yes
Its a major issue very few cars on the road. Now here in San Felipe the stations have opened the diesel pumps . I guess they did not run out as they said. At least I am getting water delivery. And I saw a armored truck today so maybe we can get some pesos soon?
The delivery trucks from Mexicali are not running yet so fresh vegies, auto parts, and other stuff have been curtailed. We get our mail because the guy fills up in Calixico. Concert has been canceled for Friday.
What a pain
Times will change soon. Roomer that fuel trucks are leaving Mexicali fuel storage area this PM??

greengoes - 1-12-2017 at 06:06 AM

As usual, in Ensenada the only thing going on are the people griping about
the increased cost (wait till next month and it will be a roar) no stations closed
and the obligatory marches down Reforma protesting the gasolinazo. Gas is
all over the place, short liters and full liters and no terminal blockades although
there is a very nice terminal on Rt.1 going south into town which could be blockaded
but no one has done so. The new Alcalde has declared war on potholes, bought seven
shiny new trash trucks and discovered thirteen million dollars has just vanished from the city coffers.
Once again someone forgot to lock the drawers. :)

For several years I have been trying to figure out why this town is insulated from
all the desmadres seen in other parts of Baja and the mainland.

If I ever get a solid answer I will pass it on.

wessongroup - 1-12-2017 at 06:22 AM

Have always had the same feeling about Ensenada .... A nice location for some strange reason and good to hear it's staying that way ... overall .. with the other, it happens all the time

David K - 1-12-2017 at 07:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
Your reply to Ken doesn't read like that. It reads like: Fill your J cans in Calexico/El Centro.... In your opinion/experience, is it forbidden to transport US gas to Baja? (just a yes or no will suffice.)

Yes, it is illegal to have filled jerry cans across the border into Mexico. That was a given (I though) so I said, without being able to fill the cans (in Mexicali) Ken would have a problem for the Jeeps with small tanks unable to make the round trip back to Calexico from the Pole Line Road.

On the previous Pole Line caravans, one of the vehicles did not know of the law and had a full 5 gallon can before we crossed the border. My truck had room in the tank for it, so we emptied his tank into my Tacoma. In Mexicali, I filled his can back up and topped my tank with the better (and cheaper then) Mexican gas.

roundtuit - 1-12-2017 at 03:47 PM

Gas available at both stations in Mulege :bounce::bounce::bounce:

nbentley1 - 1-12-2017 at 04:07 PM

Will be heading to Bahia Conception on Feb 11th and then hitting San Ignacio for our annual whale trip on the way back. As long as we can get fuel in SQ, GN and Mulege we should be fine, any info is appreciated. Hopefully the SQ road blocks will have cleared as well.

pauldavidmena - 1-12-2017 at 07:52 PM

We're flying in to Los Cabos next week and renting a car to drive up to Todos Santos. Our understanding is that the tank will be full when we pick it up, and the arrangement (with Dominic's) is to bring it back empty, so as long as we don't go on any road trips in the week we're there, we should have no problems.

Have there been any fuel shortages at airports in Mexico? It would be a shame (NOT!) to be stranded in Baja.

:cool:

brucedog - 1-13-2017 at 08:41 AM

I have heard that there are no issues in Cabo getting fuel. I dropped my wife at the airport on Saturday and both stations by the airport were open. I also just read in the Ventana View that a person arrived in La Ventana two days ago from California and had no issues at all

SomebodyElse - 1-14-2017 at 09:13 AM

Our plan was to drive to San Felipe this week and continue south from there, but news of no diesel caused us to re-think.

We will watch the news and head south on Tuesday if it looks positive. If not, there's lots to do just north of the border and it is warmer than Canada.

At least California provided us with a good leak test of the camper this week.

Peter

windgrrl - 1-14-2017 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
We're flying in to Los Cabos next week and renting a car to drive up to Todos Santos. Our understanding is that the tank will be full when we pick it up, and the arrangement (with Dominic's) is to bring it back empty, so as long as we don't go on any road trips in the week we're there, we should have no problems.

Have there been any fuel shortages at airports in Mexico? It would be a shame (NOT!) to be stranded in Baja.

:cool:

No problems at the airport today. Hundreds of full size SUVs and vans picking up at the airport...my ride couldn't find a place to park between 11 and noon. Same with many others, so they were circling and circling to pick up the arrivals from at least 7 planes.

PEMEX at the airport turn off had two tankers parked on the lot. Lots of people on the highway. No gas shortages in the East Cape today but the gas price increase is a hardship for locals.

[Edited on 1-15-2017 by windgrrl]

[Edited on 1-15-2017 by windgrrl]

LancairDriver - 1-14-2017 at 06:45 PM

This statement by Mexico's energy secretary may affect my travel plans with a fuel hungry diesel RV.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/gasoline-supplies-at-crisis-...

DENNIS - 1-15-2017 at 08:24 AM

[rquote]=1064557&tid=85459&author=windgrrl
--- the gas price increase is a hardship for locals. [/rquote]

That is the base of the problem...... slave wages. Blame the government for that too.

BigBearRider - 1-15-2017 at 08:58 AM

I was trying to cross southbound at San Ysidro around 2 pm yesterday. Traffic was backed-up to the San Ysidro Avenue exit (the second to last exit before the border. It hardly appeared to be moving. I suspect that it may have been a wait measured in hours.

I made a U-turn and crossed at Otay Mesa instead. There was only about a 15 minute wait there. Much better.

Going down to Ensenada, I saw no issues suggesting there was any fuel shortage, or any related issues, at all.

Two weeks ago, on Dec 31st, I saw long lines at some Pemex stations in Tijuana. I guess people were filling up before the price-hike.

wessongroup - 1-15-2017 at 11:49 AM

Difficult to understand why Mexico would allow an industry which they owned and operated, and essential to get so bad

However they did .... An now Mexico will be importing, most likely from the United States (think wall) finished product: gas, diesel
and propane, cuz, it comes from the process of refining OIL/Crude

The second ... Mexico will allow others NOT Mexican build "refineries" and then sell under a "brand®" of their own choosing ... "Baja Rub" .. you get the idea

IN the long term, perhaps Mexico can get back into the business of producing energy for their Nation .... Until then, of course the Mexican people will pay for it ... as costs are passed onto the consumer .. basic business ... however, not sure about Mexico ... Still like the beaches and ocean ... don't fish anymore ... but can still enjoy a sunrise and/or sunset ;)

No wonder so many try and come here .... IF your own government does this to ya .... I'd be leaving too ... to stand in line .... like many do ... very sad

[Edited on 1-15-2017 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 1-16-2017 by wessongroup]

DENNIS - 1-15-2017 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  

.... An now Mexico will be importing, most likely from the United States (think wall) finished product: gas, diesel
and propane, cuz, it comes process of in refinery of OIL/Crude

]
I'm thinkin' Baja, and other points north in Mexico have been getting gas and fuel from the states for some time now. Nothing new.

DeMinimis - 1-27-2017 at 10:07 AM

Between the fuel issues (and my diesel is a horrible pig) and this ridiculous wall plan, I'm starting to get concerned about our planned trip in mid March. Keep the info flowing folks (even if the fuel isn't).

[Edited on 1-27-2017 by DeMinimis]

David K - 1-27-2017 at 10:30 AM

The wall is already up along hundreds of miles of the border... the media is playing us... this is to finish what was authorized a dozen years ago and unfunded the past 8 years. Have you not seen the wall in California?

The fuel problem happened after Jan. 4 and lasted about 10 days. I think they will be better prepared for the chaos planned for Feb.?

Cardonal - 1-27-2017 at 04:08 PM

Goat-friend,

Thanks for asking.. I won't be traveling until April, but friends going down earlier in January turned around in San Quintin and are considering not returning.

There is an impact on us, certainly, but the impact on Mexican workers and families of an increase in gas cost on top of a decline in the value of their pesos is substantial.