BajaNomad

baja 4000

cliffh - 1-11-2017 at 04:12 PM

Any current news, supposed to go through La Paz next tues on the way to Cabo. Then Cabo up the pacific side to San Juanico on Wed. thanks Cliff

willardguy - 1-11-2017 at 04:44 PM

hopefully there will be gasoline for all!

GAS

El Comadante Loco - 1-11-2017 at 05:41 PM

Mexicali/San Felipe will be up to speed in the couple of days now that the tankers are rolling again. The policia federal gave the protesters the option to vacate with safe passage or to be removed by force. They of course decided to move on so the gas is flowing again...

David K - 1-11-2017 at 05:59 PM

Thanks for the report Rudy!

GAS

El Comadante Loco - 1-11-2017 at 06:17 PM

Things have been crazy around Mexicali lots of pisanos coming over to Claexcio and El Centro to buy gas even longer than usual gas lines here at Costco. Extra long lines at the border to the US, during the last few days, at least double the wait time except for Sentri.

It was reported that emergency service providers and police were expected to be out of gas within days. The whole city was on the verge of coming to a standstill.

I am off my to my house at K43 on the road to puertecitos then off to fish Gonzaga. Will report on gas situation as I find it.

Ken Cooke - 1-12-2017 at 04:48 PM

The race starts tomorrow..

cliffh - 1-13-2017 at 04:42 PM

Good excuse to hang out at Conejo for a few days

chippy - 1-13-2017 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cliffh  
Good excuse to hang out at Conejo for a few days

A better excuse would be waves. Are there any?

Gulliver - 1-14-2017 at 09:57 PM

Never heard of this thing before. On the surface it sounds like a bunch of posers.

I went to the site and there doesn't seem to be any better map than this. On the South bound route they are either staying on the pavement from San Ignatio to Loreto or teleporting everyone over the Sierra Giganta. I'd like to know so that I can stay out of the way.

I especially find amusing the claim on their site of traveling in "Untouched places". Not after they come through.

Hope it works out but it sounds like they are just turning people loose with no support. Any tracking or radio stuff?

Maybe we locals had better get our water jugs tow ropes and first aid kits ready.

willardguy - 1-14-2017 at 11:27 PM

damn those people out there having fun!:coolup:

Gulliver - 1-14-2017 at 11:30 PM

I want them to have fun but being busted down with no one knowing where you are might be a heck of a downer.

I hope I have the wrong take on this. We'll see.

mtgoat666 - 1-15-2017 at 12:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
I want them to have fun but being busted down with no one knowing where you are might be a heck of a downer.

I hope I have the wrong take on this. We'll see.

They should have hired you gray hairs to hold their hands!

:lol:

willardguy - 1-15-2017 at 12:31 AM

I remember grey hair it was wonderful !:P

David K - 1-15-2017 at 12:52 AM

Where are looking at each other and there's gray hair that wasn't there before... we are changing,,,, Baja is changing... nothing is forever.

See you at Universal City maņana12-2;30)

Gulliver - 1-15-2017 at 04:15 AM

According to Barbara my gray hair sank in from the top and is coming out my nose and ears. Gravity!

I'm sure very few of these greenhorns will break down and/or get lost. Lord knows I've been working at getting stuck and lost for long enough myself and all too often without anywhere near decent preparation or planning. Tube patch glue dried up? How could that be? Not again!

The reality is that unless you've spent your whole life cruising your off road iron down Sunset Strip showing off for the urban cowboys, most of Baja isn't that all fired demanding unless you are total tool and get all uncorked from going too fast. On the other hand there was a low slung surfer van with a busted oil pan on the road from Rt. 1 to San Isidro a couple of days ago. Six inch clearance just isn't enough.

Been a while since I've found a road without a goat farmer at the other end of it. Sweet people too.

There is that little stinker from Santa Inez out to the mission. That last mile is an equipment breaker and drownder. Ralph is still dragging the busted and wounded out of there every year. Speaking of sweet people.

tecatero - 1-15-2017 at 05:45 AM

I am all for the adventure this race offers, but we were passed by 15-20 of these bozos on the road yesterday. They have no clue on Baja road etiquette , they think because they see you, you see them. Nearly got clipped by some hipsters in a new 4Runner. Saw them at the gas station, with a bunch more hipsters, these guys were Euro hipsters. I said, you better learn to signal when passing and to make sure people ( I.e, locals) see you or your gonna kill someone or yourself. They giggled. Be I retesting to see the stats once it's done

cj5orion - 1-15-2017 at 08:00 AM

http://www.bamakoadventures.com/en/the-route/

bajalinda - 1-15-2017 at 09:34 AM

According to their map, the race (or should I say "rally and challenge") is coming by our place on Wednesday.

We have seen no directional signs along the road showing the route as we see with the other off-road races that come by here. No pre-runners either. Nada. Will see what we see on Wednesday.

[Edited on 1-15-2017 by bajalinda]

Gulliver - 1-15-2017 at 10:06 AM

cj5orion,
The problem with that rather crude map is that it shows the route from San Ignatio to around at least Mulege as going down the middle of the peninsula.
There is no road there. Nothing. Nada.
My conclusion is that either they are using the same route down the coast going both ways (I think that has been shown recently to be a pretty bad idea) or they are going down Rt. 1, not that challenging but probably a bit more sane.
We will see.

mtgoat666 - 1-15-2017 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
I am all for the adventure this race offers, but we were passed by 15-20 of these bozos on the road yesterday. They have no clue on Baja road etiquette , they think because they see you, you see them. Nearly got clipped by some hipsters in a new 4Runner. Saw them at the gas station, with a bunch more hipsters, these guys were Euro hipsters. I said, you better learn to signal when passing and to make sure people ( I.e, locals) see you or your gonna kill someone or yourself. They giggled. Be I retesting to see the stats once it's done

What's worse, baja 4000 rally-driving hipsters, baja 1000 race team/fan knuckle draggers, or semana santa road trippers?

Sweetwater - 1-15-2017 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  

What's worse, baja 4000 rally-driving hipsters, baja 1000 race team/fan knuckle draggers, or semana santa road trippers?

The challenge these days is to find the time between all these events that allows some Baja signature solitude and peace. I'm not interested in packs of racers nor huge crowds at the beaches.

chuckie - 1-15-2017 at 12:50 PM

Off road activity is out of control....Little organization, even less respect for landowners and the public...I wonder if there is fiscal ownership re: Insurance or Bonding....And .....Are any of these events authorized by any legal body? And Trash....trash- trash

Gulliver - 1-15-2017 at 01:00 PM

I'm hearing some fairly fast moving stuff headed South out of Mulege right now. Hard to say whether they are entrants or possible support vehicles.

willardguy - 1-15-2017 at 01:37 PM

I'm hearing some fairly fast moving stuff headed South out of Mulege right now. Hard to say whether they are entrants or possible support vehicles.

there are no support vehicles, no helicopters, no ambulances, everyone is on there own.
for christ sake's people, this is a amateur rally designed as a charity to help abandoned and orphaned children of baja!
they have a website, how about learning about it rather than fothermucking it!:light:

willardguy - 1-15-2017 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Off road activity is out of control....Little organization, even less respect for landowners and the public...I wonder if there is fiscal ownership re: Insurance or Bonding....And .....Are any of these events authorized by any legal body? And Trash....trash- trash

in this rally you can be awarded points for PICKING UP TRASH and cleaning up wilderness areas. its for charity!

chuckie - 1-15-2017 at 01:53 PM

Thank you for your input, Willard!

bajalinda - 1-15-2017 at 02:45 PM

Gulliver - is there some way to know or confirm if the fast moving stuff is actually part of the rally? Because if it is and there are no support vehicles, then it would seem some of the participants are a day ahead of their posted schedule, no?

BajaBreak - 1-15-2017 at 03:13 PM

Looks like an eclectic mix of participants.

http://www.bamakoadventures.com/en/teams/

After seeing some of the people's attire, I couldn't help but think of this movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2GEKV1dOgY

chuckie - 1-15-2017 at 04:15 PM

It is good to know per Willard that the group who almost wrecked Tecatero and the group blasting through Mulege a day ahead of schedule are not connected to the rally...Likely just kids having fun....My comment was/is somewhat generic....I stand by it...

Gulliver - 1-15-2017 at 06:25 PM

i live about 200 meters from Rt. 1 and maybe a kM. South of town.

Normally curiosity would impel me to go and have a look but I am in the grip of some dreadful pestilence. I believe when horses get it they are put down forthwith to minimize suffering. Referred to by vets as THE SNOTS! And no orifice to be trusted.

Barbara refuses me relief from this mortal coil on some spurious excuse based on taking care of her her dotage. I caught it from her!

I am reading The Mask of the Red Death by Poe for solace. I'm approaching the last line. "And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all."

The only half way decent data I can offer is that I can recognize a VW engine with an open exhaust at a great distance. About one every half hour all afternoon. Perhaps it is just random stuff. It's died down now.

[Edited on 1-16-2017 by Gulliver]

bajalinda - 1-15-2017 at 07:43 PM

Thanks Gulliver - hope you'll be feeling better soon - sounds like you've got a nasty bug.

Just trying to get a handle on when the vehicles will be coming by here.

Gulliver - 1-15-2017 at 07:53 PM

Maybe I'm hearing the garbage trucks. I think a garbage collection rig based on a buggy might be cute.

mtgoat666 - 1-15-2017 at 08:51 PM

Maybe I'm hearing the garbage trucks.

What comes with age, grayness, baldness, saggy/blotchy skin and crazy nose hairs is hearing loss.
To your aged (ancient) ears, everything sounds like garbage trucks. Removing the wax does not help.

Sad!

Gulliver - 1-16-2017 at 06:15 AM

Everything sounds like garbage, period.

Took me a while to trust my judgement and turn off horrors like rap.

Post war music started out bad with the Sha Boom, Sha Boom stuff and now is ending bad.

Grump.

mtgoat666 - 1-16-2017 at 08:28 AM

Everything sounds like garbage, period.

Took me a while to trust my judgement and turn off horrors like rap.

Post war music started out bad with the Sha Boom, Sha Boom stuff and now is ending bad.

Grump.

What war are you talking about?

Gulliver - 1-16-2017 at 02:41 PM

I forget. Maybe it was the Harding administration. They all start to blur together after a while.

chuckie - 1-16-2017 at 03:49 PM

I just had a tooth out...10 more minutes, packing comes out, shot(s) wisky, 6 Prozac and I'll be on the same plain as you...:P

pappy - 1-22-2017 at 03:17 PM

Seems more like a gumball type rally?

del mar - 1-22-2017 at 05:31 PM

they started hitting the finish line at the petersen auto museum a few hours ago, looks like a good time was had by all, and a good cause!
maybe next year! :coolup:

cliffh - 1-23-2017 at 09:48 AM

Just returned from week at Conejo, great weather. Wife only saw 4 or 5 cars , must have taken Highway to San juanico. Great week !!

bajalinda - 1-23-2017 at 12:37 PM

Agree - they must have taken the highway. We are a few miles south of Conejo and saw nor heard nary a vehicle. Only saw one car across the way from us that looked lost going back and forth in one of the places where you could make a wrong turn.