BajaNomad

San Felipe Recommendations?

kevin_in_idaho - 1-16-2017 at 06:14 PM

I've done a search but not really found any specific recommendations for camping. I see on the maps, a ton of roads leading out to camping spots. Years ago (25+) we camped out there somewhere but I don't remember the name.

Also, good places to eat, etc.?

We'll be in our 4x4 truck/camper

Thanks!

Kevin

mjs - 1-16-2017 at 06:39 PM

Depends on what you want. In town? Kiki's. Around other people? Pete's Camp. Uncrowded beach? Shell Island, Nuevo Mazatlan.

These are just a few of the options.

For in town food, Sweet Spot, Smoking Joe's, or just about any of the taco stands on or near the malecon.

[Edited on 1-17-2017 by mjs]

JZ - 1-16-2017 at 07:06 PM

Keep going until Gonzaga. Never been a fan of San Felipe.

willardguy - 1-16-2017 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
Depends on what you want. In town? Kiki's. Around other people? Pete's Camp. Uncrowded beach? Shell Island, Nuevo Mazatlan.

For in town food, Sweet Spot, Smoking Joe's, or just about any of the taco stands on or near the malecon.

:yes:

David K - 1-16-2017 at 09:21 PM

Kevin,
What do you want, a campground or deserted beach?
There are restaurants in San Felipe and at Km. 35.5, Colonia Delicias.
Gonzaga is 95 miles south of San Felipe.
I just came back from checking all the camping places south of San Felipe.

Bajazly - 1-16-2017 at 09:30 PM

For the best tacos, pretty much any taco stand on the main drag heading to the malecon. There is a lot of food on the malecon but almost all of it is kind of meh... wouldn't waist your time or money, except for MAYBE the Taco Factory which is ok but the drinks aren't very alcohol intensive.

True Baja

bajaguy - 1-16-2017 at 09:40 PM

You have not experienced Baja until you have had a beer and a hot dog at Cow Patty's

kevin_in_idaho - 1-16-2017 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Keep going until Gonzaga. Never been a fan of San Felipe.

We are headed there but this is a stop over spot.

kevin_in_idaho - 1-16-2017 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  

Good question. I think we're more looking for a beach camp. We'd probably head into town, get food, drink, etc. and then go to the camp. Last time I was there, we were well north of town but we could go south too if there are better places. We could get supplies on our way through town. I'm assuming there's a Mercado somewhere where we can get tequila, etc.?

kevin_in_idaho - 1-16-2017 at 09:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Kevin,
What do you want, a campground or deserted beach?
There are restaurants in San Felipe and at Km. 35.5, Colonia Delicias.
Gonzaga is 95 miles south of San Felipe.
I just came back from checking all the camping places south of San Felipe.

We could continue though town and we'll eventually end up in Gonzaga but will need to get diesel and supplies in SF.

Any recommendations for a beach type camp? We will have a dog if that matters.

Thanks.

David K - 1-16-2017 at 10:35 PM

Lots of choices Kevin. Percebu has food and camping, Km. 20/21. Nuevo Mazatlan is a quiet camp with trees at Km. 32. Good fish dinner at Chelo's at Km. 35.5.
I made a Nuevo Mazatlan page: www.vivabaja.com/nm

Edit to add a photo of Chelo's Restaurant, Km. 35.5:

[Edited on 1-17-2017 by David K]

kevin_in_idaho - 1-17-2017 at 04:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
You have not experienced Baja until you have had a beer and a hot dog at Cow Patty's

I've read about Cow Patty's but your comment could be interpreted in many ways :-) but I'll assume you mean they are good w/ no "after effects".

David K - 1-17-2017 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  

I've read about Cow Patty's but your comment could be interpreted in many ways :-) but I'll assume you mean they are good w/ no "after effects".

Cow Patty's is a cantina/restaurant at Km. 73 (The Puertecitos entrance is at Km. 74.5) on the west side of the highway.

PaulW - 1-17-2017 at 08:42 AM

Tons of roads to the Sea and most all lead to housing not camping.
North of town beach camping at Petes walk to food/drink. Playa el Sol, but food is back on the highway. Otherwise go south of town as suggested by others.
Food:
We prefer the places north of town. Best a tie between Vaquita North (best seafood) and Petes, Parrots Cracker. Best mex food Playa Azul. Several others. Best breakfast Road runner.
In town favorites on the Malencon: Taco Factory, Morena, Baja Mar.
===== ====
I've done a search but not really found any specific recommendations for camping. I see on the maps, a ton of roads leading out to camping spots. Years ago (25+) we camped out there somewhere but I don't remember the name.

Also, good places to eat, etc.?

We'll be in our 4x4 truck/camper

Thanks!

Kevin

David K - 1-17-2017 at 08:57 AM

So, of all the dozens of campos north of San Felipe, you only know two that are for camping (Pete's El Paraiso and Playa del Sol)?

bajaguy - 1-17-2017 at 09:51 AM

Calling Cow Pattys a "restaurant" is quite a stretch. The only after effects you will have is if you over indulge in either the beer or the hot dogs.....and that is it. If you want chips, fries or a salad, bring your own. In the past a group of guys living in the south campos would meet there every Thursday (I think) for lunch and bring different side dishes

Cow Patty's is a cantina/restaurant at Km. 73 (The Puertecitos entrance is at Km. 74.5) on the west side of the highway.

bajamedic - 1-17-2017 at 10:52 AM

Kevin, if you make it to the Malecon... Baja Mar, Stuffed Shrimp, wrapped in bacon, it is well worth the trip to San Felipe. JH

David K - 1-17-2017 at 02:58 PM

Thanks Terry, I have only driven by it a hundred times, but was never interested enough to walk in... if it is just a bar and no food (other than hot dogs), I definitely am not interested. Patti used to be a reporter on Puertecitos happenings for Fred Metcalf's message board.

amigobaja - 1-17-2017 at 06:53 PM

Basically since you haven't been there for 25 years I would check out Rubens on the north end of the Malecon. It has a semi private beach. Its close enough to walk to town and it would be a easy central location to venture out from there and possibly find your dream spot for next time after you gain some Baja experience. Plus the Coco locos are Muey Bueno.

ehall - 1-17-2017 at 07:43 PM

Any recent reports on el cortez hotel?

liknbaja127 - 1-17-2017 at 08:19 PM

We were there for 2 nights over new years, Rooms were clean, water was hot, Think we paid about $70.00 US. per night. We also had a great meal at El Nido! have a great trip.

kevin_in_idaho - 1-19-2017 at 08:49 AM

Looks like we'll try to cross the border, fuel up our jerry cans, get some supplies, head to SF and get some shrimp or fish or ??? and head to Percebú. I don't really want to deflate my tires to get onto the beach though and hope we can find a good location there.

sancho - 1-19-2017 at 09:12 AM

Stopped by Percebu a couple yrs. back, as I REMEMBER, there were a few
metal roofed camping palapas near the restaurant, nothing that stands out, I might
look at other camping oportunities so. of SF, if that is the area
you are headed to

[Edited on 1-19-2017 by sancho]

David K - 1-19-2017 at 09:41 AM

No need to deflate for Percebu. You can walk across the lagoon to Shell Island at low tide.
However, deflating for sand or dirt roads is a common practice, so I recommend you get a good electric air pump. This is important also if you have to plug a hole in your tire (get a tire plug kit).

SomebodyElse - 1-19-2017 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
Kevin, if you make it to the Malecon... Baja Mar, Stuffed Shrimp, wrapped in bacon, it is well worth the trip to San Felipe. JH

I can second that! Camarones Costa Azul are plump tasty shrimps wrapped in bacon and drizzled with Mozzarela. I had it at Bajamar 2 nights ago and it was awesome.

The shrimp here live up to their reputation. We are eating them lunch and dinner. Guys come by the camper with pails of them or sale as well.

On the practical side, the gas stations are open. The town seems deserted. I am not sure if that is a mid-week January thing or the effect of gasolinazo a we have never been here before. The restaurants and businesses seem very appreciative to have some customers.

SanFelipeGirl.jpg - 128kB

kevin_in_idaho - 1-19-2017 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SomebodyElse  
Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  

I can second that! Camarones Costa Azul are plump tasty shrimps wrapped in bacon and drizzled with Mozzarela. I had it at Bajamar 2 nights ago and it was awesome.

The shrimp here live up to their reputation. We are eating them lunch and dinner. Guys come by the camper with pails of them or sale as well.

On the practical side, the gas stations are open. The town seems deserted. I am not sure if that is a mid-week January thing or the effect of gasolinazo a we have never been here before. The restaurants and businesses seem very appreciative to have some customers.

I asked in a separate post but any recommendations on a pump? If I need to deflate my tires, I'll need to get one. :-)

David K - 1-19-2017 at 10:11 AM

See your other post. MV-50 is what many of us have.
There are photos of in in other threads on tire pumps in the Baja Off Roading forum here on Nomad.

sancho - 1-19-2017 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SomebodyElse  

Guys come by the camper with pails of them or sale as well.

From your pic, it looks like Club Pesca beachfront, I believe the
maniquin thing has been there for yrs. Are the locals shrimp
fishing? With the ban on panga nets off SF, was curious if
shrimping was affected. Not much of a SF Malecon restaurant
goer, but the bacon shrimp has me convinced, thanks for
the recommindation

ehall - 1-20-2017 at 07:20 AM

From the malecon we could see 37 boats fishing yesterday. All looked like shrimp boats. Seems a bit excessive .

sancho - 1-20-2017 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
From the malecon we could see 37 boats fishing yesterday. All looked like shrimp boats. Seems a bit excessive .

Speaking of shrimp fishing, I would like to believe all of us
here are to a greater/lesser degree concerned about the
Sea of Cortez.
Not to sound too sappy but most of us know
the techniques the large shrimp trawlers use, that is dragging
the sea floor. Kinda destroys anything that is in the way.
Lot of bycatch for the amount of the target species.
On further review, maybe I'll take that to heart

[Edited on 1-20-2017 by sancho]

kevin_in_idaho - 1-20-2017 at 06:52 PM

No need to deflate for Percebu. You can walk across the lagoon to Shell Island at low tide.
However, deflating for sand or dirt roads is a common practice, so I recommend you get a good electric air pump. This is important also if you have to plug a hole in your tire (get a tire plug kit).

David,

Any recommendations on where to camp on the "safe" side? I was thinking about pulling into the Rancho and seeing what's there but .....

I'd love to try and get to the "island" but not sure I want to risk it since we'll be alone and at the start of our trip.

Kevin

mjs - 1-20-2017 at 07:03 PM

You can camp at Nuevo Mazatlan (look for the sign at K32). No need to deflate your tires and you'll probably have the place to yourself. Couple of restaurants a few K down the road or grab some supplies at on of the markets before leaving SF.

SomebodyElse - 1-20-2017 at 11:41 PM

I asked in a separate post but any recommendations on a pump? If I need to deflate my tires, I'll need to get one. :-)

I followed the advice in this post.

David K - 1-21-2017 at 12:11 AM

Kevin, it is an island so around a full or new moon phase you may not easily get onto it or wish all that sticky mud to be under your truck. Percebu is across from the north end of Shell Island, so you can walk to it at low tide. Nuevo Mazatlan is a favorite camp since the 1960s. The restaurant at km. 35.5, called Chelo's was a great treat. Maybe you will run into Ivan Stewart there?

You really should have that tire pump for any Baja trip and not just for Shell Island.

kevin_in_idaho - 1-21-2017 at 06:15 AM

Kevin, it is an island so around a full or new moon phase you may not easily get onto it or wish all that sticky mud to be under your truck. Percebu is across from the north end of Shell Island, so you can walk to it at low tide. Nuevo Mazatlan is a favorite camp since the 1960s. The restaurant at km. 35.5, called Chelo's was a great treat. Maybe you will run into Ivan Stewart there?

You really should have that tire pump for any Baja trip and not just for Shell Island.

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if you could camp near Rancho Percebu or along that side of the beach. The pump is arriving today or Monday for a Wed. departure :-).

ehall - 1-21-2017 at 07:08 AM

We just stayed 2 nights at the Los Angelos hotel. About 1 mile south of the last pemex heading south. 35 bucks for a double. Large, clean rooms. Very nice place. Has a big fence and security cameras.

kevin_in_idaho - 1-21-2017 at 07:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
We just stayed 2 nights at the Los Angelos hotel. About 1 mile south of the last pemex heading south. 35 bucks for a double. Large, clean rooms. Very nice place. Has a big fence and security cameras.

Thanks. I google it but can't find anything about it but will take a look if we don't want to camp near the beach, etc. May need a shower, etc. by then :-)

ehall - 1-21-2017 at 08:15 AM

Big green 3 story building. Huge cell phone antennae is across the street. Free wifi if you need it.

[Edited on 1-22-2017 by ehall]

[Edited on 1-22-2017 by ehall]

PaulW - 1-21-2017 at 08:32 AM

We eat a Chelo's frequently for breakfast. Only open on weekends. When Chelo is closed the restaurant just south is usually open. Food at both places is good. The trip to Chelo usually results in travel to Shell beach.
We park before the mud and walk to the beach. The result is I have never driven on the beach.

David K - 1-21-2017 at 10:15 AM

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if you could camp near Rancho Percebu or along that side of the beach. The pump is arriving today or Monday for a Wed. departure :-).

Rancho Percebu is a campground... all the beach camps seemed to have added "rancho" to their names a few years ago... Perhaps for tax purposes?

It was called Laguna Percebu before. There is a cafe/ cantina there. It is at Km. 20.7 (ie. almost Km. 21).

That's the north end of Shell Island, across the lagoon at Percebu.

Shell Island access is Km. 26+ (cinder block columns at the road). A mile and a half of drift sand 4WD driving to the mud/ salt flat then 1/2 mile across that to the beach (island). There are two routes. The one straight ahead was once an elevated causeway with a bridge at the end, offering anytime access. That has pretty much eroded back to the flats and the bridge is useless as the road is well below its original level. The other route (the original road) forks to the right part way towards the bridge. Those tracks are very firm, so even if water is covering them, if you stay in the tracks, you are fine. Get off of them, well... it is like oatmeal and you may not get out so easy.

Nuevo Mazatlan (Km. 32) is also a campground... trees, a sand beach, flush toilets and showers (not hot). No other services.

David K - 1-21-2017 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
We eat a Chelo's frequently for breakfast. Only open on weekends. When Chelo is closed the restaurant just south is usually open. Food at both places is good. The trip to Chelo usually results in travel to Shell beach.
We park before the mud and walk to the beach. The result is I have never driven on the beach.

KM. 35.5, Colonia Delicias

kevin_in_idaho - 1-21-2017 at 10:37 AM

Awesome on the pictures, etc. That's a funny (last) photo!

So I see that at Rancho P. it's 300 pesos or $25. I guess you are better off paying in pesos!

David K - 1-21-2017 at 10:57 AM

Awesome on the pictures, etc.!

So I see that at Rancho P. it's 300 pesos or $25. I guess you are better off paying in pesos!

Glad you like my photos (taken just 3 weeks ago).
Yes, as I responded in your other post about pesos vs. dollars. The peso is dropping in value against the dollar pretty fast. 300 pesos was = $15 dollars at the rate when I took the photo.

mcfez - 1-21-2017 at 11:15 AM

Nuevo Mazatlan is 30 minutes (or so) out of San Felipe....a true camping spot. The town David shows that is nearby.... has a market......that serves the best damn chile rellenos in Baja. Dont be put off by the store's appearance.

Pete's is camping on the beach without all the businesses huddled as the "camps" are in town. About ten minutes North before the town. If you wish to have a camp near the beach and dark skies...then Petes. Decent restaurant there too. Hot showers. Not bad at all.

Staying in town is not true camping at all...... though it is good for a rest stop to stay there somewhere for a overnight' er.

psaphoto - 1-23-2017 at 08:39 AM

Thanks for the replies here everyone. Very helpful for planning my trip home (CSL - Mexicali) this weekend.