BajaNomad

Gonzaga/Pemex to Chapala 1/15/17

azsailor - 1-22-2017 at 07:05 PM

Thanks to all y'all forum members for some advice before driving down the Baja. Crossed the border at Mexicali. Stayed at George's, San Felipe. Stopped at Gonzaga/Pemex in a steady rain. The new highway pavement ended about 5 miles south of the Pemex. The highway right-of-way is not driveable but we picked our way around it on some original road and some access road. Our oyota Corolla was not the proper vehicle. The road bed was crushed rock and compacted. This could change anytime due to ongoing construction. Even the hills were negotiable due to underlying rock. Right off, we pulled over so two yonke/salvage semis could pass. I can't believe they did it. The worst part was the last ~3 miles of flat stretch to Hwy 1. It was muddy and we had to pass 3 livestock trucks. Here is a YouTube link of some of the road. https://youtu.be/N3ENa_n7wzs Thanks, AzSailor

David K - 1-22-2017 at 08:30 PM

Thanks for your post!
The pavement actually is driven for 20.5 kms (12.7 miles) from the Pemex. It has ended there for three years now. Getting through the granite rock and building bridges in this area has been most difficult for the crews. They are close to opening more new road.

azsailor - 1-22-2017 at 09:36 PM

I stand corrected on paved hwy south of Gonz-Pemex. The south section below Coco's Corner is looking like much progress is being made. It's a gnarly section for sure. In addition, it appeared the new highway to Federal 1 will run parallel and east ( a few 100 meters) of the existing dirt road.
We chose to return through Guerrero-Negro to Ensenada. Thought we could cut over the Fed-3 to Tecate but a semi accident blocked the pass near Tecate. Turned back to La Libre and went thru TJ at night with flooding due to rain. Luckily, we got a US lane with 4 cars in front. Hit the SD Fwy in 10 minutes after entering the lane.
PS-treat yourself to the Hotel Mission in Catavina sometime. Salud! AzSailor

StuckSucks - 1-23-2017 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by azsailor  
Here is a YouTube link of some of the road. https://youtu.be/N3ENa_n7wzs

The road looks like it's in great shape - it would have been fun to drive thru there in the rain (for a change). Thanks for sharing!

Udo - 1-24-2017 at 01:49 PM

I just spoke with a friend from Bahia Asuncion who came by to visit. He said that the dirt section from Chapala to Coco's corner has several major wash-outs, and that at this time it is impassible without 4X4.

chavycha - 1-24-2017 at 04:59 PM

We were on the road on Sunday towing a 16' boat on trailer, and I never once needed to (or even considered) switching to 4x4.

I wouldn't say it's nice, but impassable is likely a bit of an exaggeration unless it's rained hard in the past couple days.

El Jefe - 1-26-2017 at 09:54 AM

What fun! Thanks for taking the time to put together the vid.

Looks like same as it ever was, just add water. Well done in your little car.

I'm hoping they give it a little scrape after the storms. Will be heading back down in a month.

rts551 - 1-26-2017 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I just spoke with a friend from Bahia Asuncion who came by to visit. He said that the dirt section from Chapala to Coco's corner has several major wash-outs, and that at this time it is impassible without 4X4.

They should be able to fix it soon or reroute people over to the new road bed.