BajaNomad

Bancomer has blocked all US ATM cards ..

mojo_norte - 1-24-2017 at 10:56 AM

from another post :

Bancomer has blocked ATM use for US debit cards since the 1st week if Jan. They told me they will not be revising their SW to allow US cards to work...

Any confirmation of this? Reasons why ?

Udo - 1-24-2017 at 01:20 PM

I used a Bancomer ATM in Ensenada last Wednesday.

bajamary1952 - 1-24-2017 at 03:24 PM

i used the Bancomer ATM with my Bank of America debit card in La Paz Chedraui with no problems.

Sweetwater - 1-24-2017 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamary1952  
i used the Bancomer ATM with my Bank of America debit card in La Paz Chedraui with no problems.

Good to know, anyone using USBank or how about a US Credit Union debit card. Very timely topic and information, thanks.

nbentley1 - 1-24-2017 at 04:13 PM

On my last 2 trips south last year I had issues with the ATM at the San Ysidro boarder (inside the new immigration building) and my US Bank card, I had informed the bank I was travelling but it refused payment both times. I know that was probably to do with that particular location and not the new Bancomer problem so more of a heads up.

rts551 - 1-24-2017 at 04:16 PM

I used my card at Bancomer with no problems. As I posted then, you are given options to use various languages. The English option did not work. The Spanish option did. But after all it was in Mexico.

baja Steve - 1-24-2017 at 05:51 PM

I used my US debit card in Loreto last Tuesday to with draw 5,000 pesos with no problem

BajaBlanca - 1-24-2017 at 06:41 PM

and some friends of ours have discovered that the options are sometimes wrong

he doesn't have a savings account, but in frustration when the checking account option did not produce, he tried it anyways and voila!! cash popped out. Certainly worth a try. This was in Vizcaino.

woody with a view - 1-24-2017 at 07:04 PM

Blanca, that's awesome!

Gulliver - 1-24-2017 at 07:16 PM

Still working in Mulege a couple of days ago. They do have a notice that you are limited to 7000p every two weeks. My last two withdrawals were only nine days apart. Who knows? It's Mexico.

David K - 1-24-2017 at 08:51 PM

What's the latest dollar value, up to 22 pesos yet?

Gulliver - 1-24-2017 at 09:17 PM

As of a couple of days ago I got 21.4. That includes a 25p fee per withdrawal.

DENNIS - 1-25-2017 at 07:54 AM

BANCOMER charges [+ -] 85ps per transaction. Way more than most others. USBC for instance charges around 25. It's all right there on the screen during the transaction.

DENNIS - 1-25-2017 at 07:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What's the latest dollar value, up to 22 pesos yet?

At this moment:

Hook - 1-25-2017 at 08:20 AM

......and dropping as the Trump Effect continues to fade. Now 21.36. About a two week low.

[Edited on 1-25-2017 by Hook]

Gulliver - 1-25-2017 at 08:41 AM

Bancomer only charges 25.2p if you use an ATM card.

toronja - 1-25-2017 at 11:13 AM

Withdrew 6000p from the San Felipe Bancomer ATM on Sunday with a Wells Fargo card (the Banamex ATM was out of order). Used the Spanish language option, did not try English. It did withdraw from my savings, although I thought I had selected checking.

BajaBlanca - 1-25-2017 at 12:16 PM

yeah.....there you go.

PaulW - 1-25-2017 at 08:14 PM

Bingo
Will try that.
======= ===
Quote: Originally posted by toronja  
Withdrew 6000p from the San Felipe Bancomer ATM on Sunday with a Wells Fargo card (the Banamex ATM was out of order). Used the Spanish language option, did not try English. It did withdraw from my savings, although I thought I had selected checking.

Hook - 1-25-2017 at 10:02 PM

Dollar continuing to fade. 21.09.

Sweetwater - 1-26-2017 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Dollar continuing to fade. 21.09.

Hmmmm, wonder if the "authorities" will start rounding up and deporting US citizens. The current regime agenda seems to be charting a head on collision course between the two countries.

Gscott - 1-26-2017 at 09:38 PM

I had a lot of trouble in Loreto last week. I was able to get cash at Bancomer ATM the first time I tried my debit card. Never again would it work, including trying it at a Banamex ATM. I thought it was my CU fraud dept. holding it, and after the long weekend finally could contact them and they said it wasn't that (in spite of what the ATMs indicated). Eventually I tried a CC from my same CU to access my checking funds. It also worked the first time and never again. I was mad at my CU, turns out it was probably a problem down there..?

bill erhardt - 1-27-2017 at 10:38 AM

It's often best to try the machines early in the day. I got $30,000 pesos from the machines at Ley in Loreto this morning (5 x $6k). Yesterday afternoon multiple transactions were OK, but the maximum was $5k and the machines were dispensing only 100 peso notes.

Sweetwater - 1-27-2017 at 10:41 AM

computer error

[Edited on 1-27-2017 by Sweetwater]

The solution is the problem!

AKgringo - 1-27-2017 at 11:00 AM

If the problem is unreliable ATM service, the solution is to withdraw more than you need, when you can!

Unfortunately, so is everyone else, so the machine's supply can't keep up with the demand!

Beside that, multiple small withdrawals generate more transaction fees than a large one.

amigobaja - 1-27-2017 at 01:12 PM

Pulled 10k out of Mulege this week with a US Bank card. no Problemo

Hook - 1-27-2017 at 03:18 PM

yeah, this original post and subject line are clearly not accurate.

Lanesplitter - 1-27-2017 at 04:43 PM

Pulled 3k Peso's from HSBC ATM at the Ensenada toll booth. No problema

[Edited on 1-27-2017 by Lanesplitter]

Hook - 1-27-2017 at 09:55 PM

Peso now at a three week high. Below 21/dollar.

Gscott - 1-28-2017 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Peso now at a three week high. Below 21/dollar.

What's your point? It's still a great exchange rate, if only one can get pesos out of the darn machines.

DENNIS - 1-28-2017 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gscott  

What's your point? It's still a great exchange rate, if only one can get pesos out of the darn machines.

"Great" .......relative to what? Most commodities worth having here are imported. They're bought with dollars by the retailer, so the prices will reflect that.

[Edited on 1-28-2017 by DENNIS]

thebajarunner - 1-29-2017 at 05:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Quote: Originally posted by Gscott  

"Great" .......relative to what? Most commodities worth having here are imported. They're bought with dollars by the retailer, so the prices will reflect that.

[Edited on 1-28-2017 by DENNIS]

Right on Dennis
Maybe great for the Gringo (who can more easily afford things)
Brutal on the locals.
The little guy always gets the bad end of the stick.

charliemanson - 1-29-2017 at 06:25 PM

to the OP. you need money in your account

mulegemichael - 1-30-2017 at 02:08 PM

we tried 3 different cards today in mulege and were denied each time. Not too convenient to drive 45 miles to get cash but it is what it is...we are lucky to have a mexican amigo that will take our dollars, put them in his bank account, and take out pesos for us...AND there's no fees!!

mtnpop - 1-30-2017 at 04:20 PM

helped a traveler today in Mulege, same situation,,, no atm spitting out pesos on their cards... so we took their cash and exchanged it at the teller... since we have an account at the bank...
Can't do it too much as there are limits on doing this also...

yup gotta go to Sta. Rosalia to super Ley or Banamex, Pemix atms mostly....
May not like having a local bank account but its a big plus presently

toronja - 2-8-2017 at 04:44 PM

Update:
I was able to pull 6000p from a Bancomer ATM with a Wells Fargo card in San Felipe on 1/22.
On 1/31, the same card was declined at the Vizcaino Bancomer ATM - which accepted my partner's BofA card and dispensed 7000p immediately after.
On 2/7, both of our cards were declined at the Viz Bancomer. The teller had no explanation for why we could get cash last week and not this week.
Banamex in GN dispensed plenty of pesos for both cards.

It is what it is... just don't rely on Bancomer, and get as many pesos out as you can when you can.

bajamary1952 - 2-8-2017 at 07:14 PM

Bancomer denied my BofA card in Todos Santos but went down the street to Banamex and had no problems getting money.

rts551 - 2-8-2017 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by toronja  
Update:
I was able to pull 6000p from a Bancomer ATM with a Wells Fargo card in San Felipe on 1/22.
On 1/31, the same card was declined at the Vizcaino Bancomer ATM - which accepted my partner's BofA card and dispensed 7000p immediately after.
On 2/7, both of our cards were declined at the Viz Bancomer. The teller had no explanation for why we could get cash last week and not this week.
Banamex in GN dispensed plenty of pesos for both cards.

It is what it is... just don't rely on Bancomer, and get as many pesos out as you can when you can.

Question.... which language option were you using at he BAncomer ATM in Vizcaino?

toronja - 2-8-2017 at 11:11 PM

We tried both languages, both from checking and savings accounts, two different ATMs at the same branch, and requesting as few as 1500p. Nothing doing on either card. None of those combinations worked for my card last week either.

Gulliver - 2-9-2017 at 07:30 AM

One of the hardest things for me to adapt to here has been this unpredictability. It shows up in so many things.

Inexplicable power interruptions. Seldom being able to find the same things in the same store from day to day. These problems with ATMs. The list goes on and on.

I'm told it is a problem in much of the world and that growing up north of the border or in much of Europe gives us false expectations.

I fall back on the explanation which is not an explanation but relaxes me just a bit and sometimes makes me smile. The single word, "Random".

PaulW - 2-9-2017 at 09:16 AM

We have 3 different bank ATMs here in San Felipe. No luck with Bancomer but the other two work with my Wells Fargo card, but with not much Pesos. Now I find my wire transfer from Wells Fargo to Bancomer is not happening.
Guess I need to keep trying at Bancomer ATM??

AKgringo - 2-9-2017 at 09:30 AM

Is this just a Baja problem, or is it happening on the mainland side of the gulf?

Hook - 2-9-2017 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
One of the hardest things for me to adapt to here has been this unpredictability. It shows up in so many things.

Inexplicable power interruptions. Seldom being able to find the same things in the same store from day to day. These problems with ATMs. The list goes on and on.

I'm told it is a problem in much of the world and that growing up north of the border or in much of Europe gives us false expectations.

I fall back on the explanation which is not an explanation but relaxes me just a bit and sometimes makes me smile. The single word, "Random".

This is easily the biggest headache I have, living down here. So little is predictable, when you want to get something done.

Living in the US and/or Canada does give you Great Expectations. Those turn to "realistic" expectations, down here.

More than anything, I blame poor and expensive postal and trucking systems; probably combined with poor roads and behind-the-scenes mordida. Goods just dont move smoothly down here. One is forced to deal with a very limited number of distributors, in relation to the US. Little competition allows them to remain inefficient.

Reducing competition has been the name of the game in Mexico for ages. We'll see if that changes, any time soon.

Hook - 2-9-2017 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Is this just a Baja problem, or is it happening on the mainland side of the gulf?

It's hard to tell. So many temperamental ATM machines. Iffy phone lines, at times, that would prevent the ATM network from functioning. Machines run out of money. Chipped cards or no chipped cards. So many variables.

I dont use Bancomer down here. I've just heard so many bad things about that entire organization (trusts, insurance, banking) that I avoid it. But I understand when it is the only game in town. I only use CI Banco, Santander and Banamex. I havent been declined in several years now.

Lee - 2-9-2017 at 11:46 AM

Got 8000p yesterday at Bancomer in Cabo. Problems must be regional?

Sweetwater - 2-9-2017 at 06:32 PM

Thanks for the ongoing information, we're 2 weeks away from Gonzaga Bay and some better weather than the fugly winter here.

mjs - 2-10-2017 at 03:04 AM

No issues in San Felipe yesterday