BajaNomad

Home-made Enchilada Sauce

Santiago - 1-25-2017 at 06:21 AM

SWMBO came across this recipe within a larger tortilla pie dish, it called for making your own sauce instead of canned enchilada sauce. All I can say is we will never buy the canned stuff again and if you make this, you won't either.

As a side note, after nearly 40 years of marriage to the same woman, I was told that she will no longer puree as she has always hated this activity. If something needs puree-ing, then I'm going to have to go it alone. I woke up at 2:00am this morning wondering if this was a what she was really telling me???

Enchilada Sauce
Ingredients
• 2 tbsd oil
• 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
• 3 tsp chili powder
• 2 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1-1/2 tsp salt
• 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
• 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
• 2 - 28 oz cans diced tomatoes with peppers
Instructions
Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onions and sauté for 5-10 minutes. Reduce heat, add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and garlic. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes until very fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the chicken broth and tomatoes, simmer for 5-10 minutes until the sauce is very deep red in color. Transfer to a blender and puree.

brucedog - 1-25-2017 at 07:35 AM

Thanks for the recipe...I will use it for sure!
Regarding puree-ing, it's super easy with one of those hand held mixing wands...not sure what they are called, but mine is a Cuisinart and I use it every time I make tortilla soup. Blender not needed. Get her one and see how she feels about puree-ing :-)

Hook - 1-25-2017 at 08:26 AM

Seems so easy. Simple ingredients, too.

Two questions. Do you drain the liquid off the tomatoes and peppers or use it? Is it the mild chili powder?

Udo - 1-25-2017 at 08:29 AM

It is called an IMMERSION blender. Great for making soups as you found out.
Waring make a good one.

All good restaurants have at least one from either Waring or Dynamic.

They range in price from $40.00 USD to several hundred for the commercial versions.

Thanks for the recipe, Santiago!

Santiago - 1-25-2017 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Seems so easy. Simple ingredients, too.

Two questions. Do you drain the liquid off the tomatoes and peppers or use it? Is it the mild chili powder?

Did not drain and it was the mild chili powder. No advice on personal issues?

BajaBlanca - 1-25-2017 at 06:26 PM

thanks for the recipe - will certainly give it a go