BajaNomad

What's with the hanging dolls?

SomebodyElse - 1-29-2017 at 11:30 PM

Around GN and Bahia Asuncion we saw numerous dolls hanging from signs like the one pictured.

They weren't all babies, but they all were hung by the neck in a rather creepy and ominous manner.

Was this left over from November, or some other protest or what? Certainly a bit chilling to those of us from up north.

If they were supposed to ward us off, it didn't work. We slept peacefully overnight on the beach the road beside this sign led to. This one was near Bahia Asuncion. Google Map

doll1.jpg - 63kB

Peter

Skipjack Joe - 1-30-2017 at 07:01 AM

Mexican humor. And they're not always hanging. Some are impaled on cacti.

shari - 1-30-2017 at 11:16 AM

sometimes when people find things they hang them up so the owners can find them....and there are several "folk art" type figures on the side of the road in some places too...just for fun....like Igor said...mexican art

motoged - 1-30-2017 at 11:30 AM

Some years ago I saw a doll like that pic above that was nailed onto a piece of 2X8 board with a 10" spike on the back of a motorhome....with sign saying "Baby On Board"

Kinda creepy....but there are buildings all over the world with a guy nailed to a cross prominently displayed on the wall.....

willardguy - 1-30-2017 at 11:44 AM

creepy eh?

Mexican Doll Island, Mexico
Just south of Mexico City, between the canals of Xochimico, there’s a small island that was never meant to be a tourist destination, but through tragedy, has become one.
Legend has it that a girl was found drowned under mysterious circumstances on the island, and to quell her spirit, thousands of dolls found their way to the island. There’s severed limbs, decapitated heads and blank eyes that just stare at you. The rumour is that she inhabits the dolls, so it’s not odd to see them opening their eyes or moving.

[Edited on 1-30-2017 by willardguy]

DENNIS - 1-30-2017 at 11:56 AM

Can't have any significance that I'd care to know about. If I came across anything like this, I'd do away with it without question.

ehall - 1-30-2017 at 02:07 PM

There is an interesting one hanging in a yucca cactus between El Rosario and Punta Baja.

[Edited on 2-7-2017 by BajaNomad]

philodog - 2-6-2017 at 04:20 PM

I saw a similar creepy one as motoged with one of those annoying Baby on Board placards next to it. I thought it was a pretty funny play on words. :lol:

motoged - 2-7-2017 at 10:22 AM

Creepy can be funny....as well as just CREEPY....

StuckSucks - 2-7-2017 at 06:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Just south of Mexico City, between the canals of Xochimico, there’s a small island that was never meant to be a tourist destination, but through tragedy, has become one.

Mexico's 'Island of the Dolls' where toys hang from tress to quell ghost's screams

philodog - 3-7-2017 at 08:11 PM

baby.jpg - 96kB

kevin_in_idaho - 3-8-2017 at 04:30 AM

Why not put clowns up there! Now that's creepy!