BajaNomad

A legend has passed.

bajatravelergeorge - 2-1-2017 at 12:11 PM

It's a sad day in La Bocana. The son of Baja legend Romulo Gomez, Romulo Gomez Jr. passed away the other day from a massive heart attack. The elder Gomez was the subject of the famous Baja book "God and Mr. Gomez." For many years, Romulo Jr. lived in La Bocana, ran the store, and was a beloved character who was always quick with a smile and had a sharp wit which made him a great person to have a conversation with. RIP Romulo.

Udo - 2-1-2017 at 12:12 PM

:(RIP:(

StuckSucks - 2-1-2017 at 12:19 PM

Whoa - I'm reading God and Mr. Gomez as we speak. Would have been fun to meet the elder Romulo Gomez.

TMW - 2-1-2017 at 12:39 PM

The book was a great read. God speed to Jr.

Vince - 2-1-2017 at 01:03 PM

Read the book many years ago when it first was published. It meant more to me because I also was building a house in Baja, Coyote Bay. A very entertaining book.
RIP, Sr. Gomez.

DENNIS - 2-1-2017 at 01:52 PM

Met Mr. Gomez at his store in La Bocana. Never had the pleasure of meeting his son.
DEP

DENNIS - 2-1-2017 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The book was a great read. God speed to Jr.

Probably did more to inspire the colonization of the Beachcamps of Baja than anything else.

bajatravelergeorge - 2-1-2017 at 03:47 PM

Reading Jack Smith's book went a long way in helping me get over the fear of having a home built in Baja.

DENNIS - 2-1-2017 at 05:07 PM

Exactly, George. It was "days before fear."

My Sincere Condolences

GypsyJan - 2-1-2017 at 06:10 PM

I only know the family through Jack Smith's columns and books; but they were my first introduction to the magic that is Baja.

The calm acceptance of life, the confidence that things work in a good, if unexplainable way; that fueled my enthusiasm.

Jack Smith and the Gomez family gave me a gift I am trying to pay back.

BajaBlanca - 2-1-2017 at 07:43 PM

RIP