BajaNomad

Diesel in BoLA?

Jinete Viejo - 2-3-2017 at 05:17 PM

Is diesel fuel available in either of the Pemex stations in Bay of LA?

woody with a view - 2-3-2017 at 06:50 PM

Yes, unless they're out. Fill up whence you arrive. The guy at the hiway always has some in a pinch!

kevin_in_idaho - 2-3-2017 at 07:10 PM

The guy at the turn off was there today but we didn't see or stop to see what he had.

bkbend - 2-3-2017 at 07:19 PM

BdeLA got diesel about 10 days ago and it usually lasts quite a while. There was an RV caravan that passed through this week and they can drink a lot if they filled up. Good advice not to wait to fill when you want to leave.

Telluridecamper - 2-8-2017 at 09:17 AM

Hi All,

Wondering if this Diesel is ULSD? I have a 2012 ford f250 which I am thinking about driving down in April.

Thanks!

PaulW - 2-8-2017 at 10:51 AM

Diesel in baja norte comes fro California. Same stuff.
Diesel south of Villa Jesus Maria is not ULSD

Telluridecamper - 2-9-2017 at 10:02 AM

Thanks PaulW.

We are going to be driving down to Cabo, do you know of any threads which talk about filling up with the non ULSD in newer vehicles? Or any Nomad users who drive a newer diesel that have had no problem with non ULSD diesel.

Thanks!

Hook - 2-9-2017 at 11:13 AM

The short version is that limited use of non-ULSD PROBABLY wont harm your engine components but it MIGHT be detected by your engine's on-board computer and MIGHT be used to invalidate any related warranties, when you take it to a dealer.

gator - 2-9-2017 at 01:04 PM

Telluridecamper, I made a trip to Cabo in July with a 2016 F250 with a 65 gallon onboard tank. On way south fueled in San Felipe (filled 10 5 gallons cans), BOLA, Jesus Maria and Loreto. For trip north I dumped in a few of the cans in Cabo, then dumped the remainder in Loreto. Filled again in Jesus Maria. Didn't need fuel again until crossing. I have made several trips since to BOLA. On those trips I fuel in San Felipe and BOLA. At the recommendation on Mr White on the website link, I did get the Edge but I have not found a need to connect it yet. If your truck has problems as a result of running LSD you are probably on your own getting it fixed. Hope this helps with your decision.

This website has some good information:
http://bajamary.com/media/Mexico-Diesel.php

David K - 2-9-2017 at 01:30 PM

B(de)LA, Jesus Maria, San Felipe are all in Baja Norte, and thus all ULSD.
So, Loreto was your only top off with LSD vs. ULSD, yes? Others here have reported that going back to ULSD after a few times using LSD washes out the problem sulfur, in other words, no problems. Of course, there are others who had problems and think it was the Mexican diesel fuel they got in Baja Sur.

gator - 2-9-2017 at 02:30 PM

Hi David, Yes that is correct with Loreto. I tried to limit my fuel from Baja Sur. But a big pain carrying 10 5 gallon cans. They really eat up space in the truck bed.

DeMinimis - 2-9-2017 at 04:41 PM

Telluride,
Id rec you double up (at a min) on the DEF you carry. Our DEF rig drank the stuff like it was going out of style. Different make and different year, but that was the only noticeable downside to low sulfur diesel for us. We also weighed it at just a few hairs under 19,500, so that helps to keep the system clean too. If I recall, those '11 Fords are DEF thirsty to begin with.

Telluridecamper - 2-18-2017 at 02:54 PM

Thanks all for the information!:)

Telluridecamper - 2-27-2017 at 07:53 AM

One last question. Do the gas stations have DEF?

Desertbull - 2-27-2017 at 08:39 AM

Mexico does NOT have DEF ... not AutoZone, not NAPA, not anywhere. Bring your own and due to the really good blend of Diesel, the DE Scrubber unit burns Diesel Exhaust Fluid at nearly twice the rate. So what you think you use for 1000 miles you will double that use as mentioned above.

kevin_in_idaho - 2-27-2017 at 04:57 PM

I fueled up in Bola a few weeks ago. No issues. I took DEF with me and my Ecodiesel RAM didn't even use 1/2 the tank in 4k miles. I didn't see any in any store, Pemex, etc.

David K - 2-27-2017 at 05:56 PM

So that us gasoline folks have an idea, what is DEF?

kevin_in_idaho - 2-27-2017 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
So that us gasoline folks have an idea, what is DEF?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid

ehall - 2-27-2017 at 06:11 PM

Def= diesel exhaust fluid

David K - 2-27-2017 at 06:26 PM

Wow, what a hassle. So, when did this begin to be part of the fuel mix? How much DEF is needed (on average) per tank of fuel?

[Edited on 2-28-2017 by David K]

kevin_in_idaho - 2-27-2017 at 06:30 PM

Wow, what a hassle. So, when did this begin to be part of the fuel mix? How much DEF is needed (on average) per tank of fuel?

[Edited on 2-28-2017 by David K]

Part of the EPA pollution control for diesels. Might have started around 2008ish.... most new diesels have this fluid. You don't use much really. I think my Ram holds 8gals and I used about 3 gals of that over 4k miles. It's cheap though.

Telluridecamper - 2-28-2017 at 02:01 PM

Thanks for the info.

David K about 1 gallon of DEF every 1000 - 1500 miles

David K - 2-28-2017 at 02:36 PM

Interesting... but only American sold diesels (or not any Mexican ones)_ need this?

kevin_in_idaho - 2-28-2017 at 04:39 PM

Interesting... but only American sold diesels (or not any Mexican ones)_ need this?

Not just the US (Canada too), but I'm not sure about Mexico. I doubt it though since they get diesels we don't here.