BajaNomad

Milke's to Rancho Meling to Observatorio

Chucho - 2-6-2017 at 07:06 PM

New to this forum - this is my first post actually.

Some friends and I are going to the Observatorio later this month, and we were thinking about driving from Mike's to PN via Rancho Meling.

Is there an actual road, or just single track motorcycle trails ? Is 4x4 required?

Thanks!

Chucho

ehall - 2-6-2017 at 07:50 PM

Jeep trail. Haven't heard anyone lately reporting on the shape it is in.

ztrab - 2-6-2017 at 10:00 PM

North of the observatory road, look for the dirt road to Ranch Coyote, it's just west of the Meling Ranch. About 7 miles of graded dirt road to Coyote. At the ranch turn the road continues north a short distance to a cattle guard and two gates , enter and travel east on the road. Subject to weather damage, you can reach Mikes in a 4x4, nothing too technical, it is well used by motorcycles, so keep your lights on and eyes up. Its about 11.2 miles from the gate to Mike's. I have a track if you need it, not sure how to post it here.

Chucho - 2-7-2017 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ztrab  
North of the observatory road, look for the dirt road to Ranch Coyote, it's just west of the Meling Ranch. About 7 miles of graded dirt road to Coyote. At the ranch turn the road continues north a short distance to a cattle guard and two gates , enter and travel east on the road. Subject to weather damage, you can reach Mikes in a 4x4, nothing too technical, it is well used by motorcycles, so keep your lights on and eyes up. Its about 11.2 miles from the gate to Mike's. I have a track if you need it, not sure how to post it here.

Thanks for the offer ztrab. I just sent you a private U2U with my email address.

For this route, is 4x4 needed? My friend's truck is not 4x4 - mine is though.

Chucho

For this trip, I will be driving my 4x4 Tundra but my friend's

bajatrailrider - 2-7-2017 at 09:43 AM

There are some wash outs from Coyotes to Mikes. If you get to Coyotes go in back See Mike.He rides this area on Moto knows road cond.Yes on you need 4x4.

David K - 2-7-2017 at 09:23 PM

4WD is the recommedation, mostly for the huge grade just south of Mike's. It is not the normal route in for many years.

Chucho - 2-8-2017 at 12:17 AM

Thanks all for your responses and recommendations. It seems like 4X4 is a must from Mike's to Meling and then Observatorio...

Any other route (other than the highway) from Laguna Hanson to Observatorio that can be done on a 2WD truck?

Chucho

ehall - 2-8-2017 at 07:02 AM

Dirt road from Valle de Trinidad to hwy 1. Easily done in a 2wd and very scenic. Cuts off lots of highway miles.

David K - 2-8-2017 at 07:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Dirt road from Valle de Trinidad to hwy 1. Easily done in a 2wd and very scenic. Cuts off lots of highway miles.

This is the road that hits Hwy. 1 just south of San Vicente in the grape vineyards.

Go south to the observatory highway at San Telmo de Abajo, between Colonet and Camalu. 62 paved miles to the observatory at 9,280 ft. What a rush that drive is!

[Edited on 2-9-2017 by David K]

TMW - 2-8-2017 at 11:31 AM

Here is a Google Earth image of the roads between El Coyote and Mikes Sky Ranch. The green line is the Baja 1000 race course , I think from 2013.

Here is a hand drawing I did several years ago. Note the GPS readings are in Hours, minutes and seconds. My wife and I drove all the roads. The lower right road went to Dark Skies Baja or what ever it was called, owned by Mike and Pamala then.

Mexitron - 2-8-2017 at 11:38 AM

Only thing I would add is that road between R. Coyote and Mike's washes out pretty badly in rainy years. One year (1997?) it took us 8 hours to get through and I crunched the side of my truck on an oak tree--not for the faint of heart. Other times its been a breeze. Keep checking for info since the rains have been heavy at times this year.

ehall - 2-8-2017 at 01:07 PM

The road from MSR to dark sky was too much for my jeep. Off camber and washed out . forced to turn around after backing uphill on a shelf road for 1/4 mile.

TMW - 2-8-2017 at 04:47 PM

I believe the last time SCORE used the route from Mikes to Dark Skies was 2002 and the last time they used the route from the Dark Skies turnoff to Mikes was 2003. In the 2003 race there was a hill the racers went up between 4 and 3 that became a silt bed nightmare and many 4 wheel racers ended their race there. Later that year is when I did the hand drawing above. Sometime after 2003 rains did a lot of damage to it.

When the route was open from Mikes to Dark Skies the owners closed it off to racing and to thru traffic after the thru traffic was trashing the route. They locked the gate where it meets the Observatory road.

Elena La Loca - 2-8-2017 at 10:02 PM

Rumor has it that my girlie jeep made that route back in the day but I wasn't there.

Are we ever really "there"?

Heard it's a double chonie changer but then they call me "chicken' for a reason.

Elena La Loca - 2-8-2017 at 10:09 PM

Oh yeah. forgot to add that WB makes that map in his daily driver.

But that's WB, right?

PaulW - 2-9-2017 at 09:30 AM

We followed your green line MSR to Coyote as far as just past CO2B where you see a faint non-green road toward Coyote. That faint road is just in the general area as the new road the Coyote people had recently made with a bulldozer and the road was very good. The new road led down the hill and bypassed the big rancho on my right and then intersected an existing road to the rancho and then directly to Coyote thru the horse corral. After arriving at Coyote we had a long discussion with Mike and he said that all other roads were devastated and not passable with even his trail bike. That was last Jan or Feb after those heavy rains.
Having said all that, It is hard to believe that those roads on your sketch have not been opened up after a year.
I guess it is time to drive some roads.
====== =

mTo
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Here is a Google Earth image of the roads between El Coyote and Mikes Sky Ranch. The green line is the Baja 1000 race course , I think from 2013.

Here is a hand drawing I did several years ago. Note the GPS readings are in Hours, minutes and seconds. My wife and I drove all the roads. The lower right road went to Dark Skies Baja or what ever it was called, owned by Mike and Pamala then.

[Edited on 2-9-2017 by PaulW]

bajatrailrider - 2-27-2017 at 09:44 AM

The road from Mikes to Coyote without 4x4 no go.With recent rains maybe not passable. If you need current update send me PM,as I have Friend that lives there.:) On dirt bikes a blast

BigBearRider - 2-27-2017 at 11:18 AM

I took the pavement from Mex 1 to Meling on Feb 18th. The first part, before gaining elevation, had a fair amount of smaller rocks, sand, and other debris washed over it, requiring care to be taken.

Past Meling, the road was good up until about 20 kms from the Observatory, where the snow was getting to be heavy. I saw six condors perched along the way. Park Rangers came down the mountain and said the road was closed. They locked the gate. I told them I had 4x4 and chains, but they said no access was permitted.

TeamDonde - 3-4-2017 at 05:04 PM

Having just returned I can advise to NOT take a vehicle through from Mikes south toward El Coyote. Its beat up enough that it would take hours and hours to do it IF you were able to not end up swallowed by a rut.

PaulW - 3-5-2017 at 09:31 AM

Repeating my previous post.
The road from Mikes to Coyote can be done easily with high clearance rig, but no need for 4wd. That hard place is at the Mikes end going up the hill. The critical part is road selection. Do not plan on using many of the roads that Tom (TMW) posted. There is a new road made last year by the People at Coyote that bypasses the devastation. Easy road down the hill to an existing road used by an adjacent ranch. We were lucky because we saw the small sign that said to turn off the main road to avoid the washouts.
Follow the green line to CO2B. The new road is after CO2B. Keep right not straight.

BooJumMan - 6-21-2017 at 11:56 AM

Hi guys. Looks like conflicting reports. PaulW saying there is a new bypass route. Anyone else can confirm? Looking to do this solo next month to the national park. I have F & R lockers, 12k winch, and fully armored front and rear Land Cruiser which I think is capable, but would rather not do anything too crazy by myself.

ehall - 6-21-2017 at 12:20 PM

Drove it May 14th. You wont have a problem.

PaulW - 6-21-2017 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
Hi guys. Looks like conflicting reports. PaulW saying there is a new bypass route. Anyone else can confirm? Looking to do this solo next month to the national park. I have F & R lockers, 12k winch, and fully armored front and rear Land Cruiser which I think is capable, but would rather not do anything too crazy by myself.

=== =
The new bypass was built when the traditional road was impassable. Since then SCORE has used the traditional road. Now you should have two choices. Either should work fine.

kaisersoza - 11-9-2017 at 12:56 PM

Thinking of going this way after the 1000. Maybe on Friday. Still in good shape?

David K - 11-9-2017 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kaisersoza  
Thinking of going this way after the 1000. Maybe on Friday. Still in good shape?

Not at all... and I love four wheeling.
At El Coyote, going to Mike's, I was warned it was not passable (except by motorcycles)... I had to look for myself.
Almost right away the deep dips and washouts from last winter's rains really were interesting! I was in a 4WD Off Road TRD Tacoma, mild lift, slightly larger than stock tires.
I got 3.7 miles from El Coyote, just after a steep boulder climb (on that new bypass road) and I had a brake issue, unrelated to the road, and turned back to El Coyote. I was told I hadn't even reached the "tough part" yet.

Please report what you find!

See location labeled "FAIL" on my GPS track map>>>

PaulW - 11-9-2017 at 02:51 PM

Their should be another route as discussed on this forum last year
Did Mike from Coyote say that alternate new road was ruined?
I say this because the new road was built to bypass the traditional roads the were ruined last year.

David K - 11-9-2017 at 04:14 PM

Yes, Michael was great source of info at El Coyote. He was the one who said there is only the one road to Mike's and that was what I was on. When I came back, he said I hadn't even reached the bad part, yet. Nobody is running a dozer through there anymore.

ehall - 11-9-2017 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, Michael was great source of info at El Coyote. He was the one who said there is only the one road to Mike's and that was what I was on. When I came back, he said I hadn't even reached the bad part, yet. Nobody is running a dozer through there anymore.

Sounds like a challenge. Wish I could head down instead of being stuck at work.

David K - 11-9-2017 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Sounds like a challenge. Wish I could head down instead of being stuck at work.

A Jeep like yours would be fun to try it in! Piece of cake, probably. The Tacoma is just too long with too shallow a departure angle. Those 3 + miles were worse than the Pole Line Road (as far as ease of driving goes).

TMW - 11-9-2017 at 05:45 PM

Time for the adventures troopers to go for it.

David K - 11-9-2017 at 05:58 PM

I regret not taking photos of the dips and the boulder climb!

kaisersoza - 11-9-2017 at 08:42 PM

10 4. Will probably take a look but will be solo (only 1 truck) so wont be to daring. Will report back.

Ken Cooke - 11-9-2017 at 09:51 PM

I regret not taking photos of the dips and the boulder climb!

Larry (BajaTrailRider) and I talked at length about this trail on Sunday while in Ensenada. He told me that it was now a Moto route and no longer suitable for 4x4s. I drove around the boulder on my way out from Mike's back in 2003 and my 4x4 Ranger with open differentials nearly me slid off the cliff (according to my spotter). I heard that the boulder is long gone, and the adventure quotent is way up. I will take Larry's word and leave it to the Motos.

willardguy - 11-9-2017 at 10:18 PM

lets give Harald a shot at it! :P

David K - 11-9-2017 at 11:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
lets give Harald a shot at it! :P

Great idea!
4x4abc is not stopped by very much.

bajatrailrider - 11-10-2017 at 08:48 AM

The lower road has been closed by Melings relative. The upper one that David went on. Moto / side x side/ Jeep like Eds and Kens good to go. LWB truck like Tacoma or my Nissan 4x4 will get damaged if your lucky you may make it. The only other route from going up paved road from coyote. Turn Lt at dirt road to Dark Skies and La Joya rancho again this route. Not good for 4x4 pick ups bad ass jeeps yes. Any 4x4 nuts want to try can meet you at Coyotes. Still waiting for David and Ken to set up new 4x4 run. As I have many routes not on maps or GPS.

Franco - 11-27-2017 at 04:11 PM

Thanks for the info on the Moto only Route. Any possibility pictures available to determine if my rig will make the grade?

David K - 11-27-2017 at 04:25 PM

I turned around after my brake fail which was on a small, low-range, 4×4 grade, just under 4 miles from El Coyote towards Mike's. If the brakes didn't break, I would have creeped on. When I got back to El Coyote, Michael Diogo (who lives there) said I hadn't even reached the 'bad' grade, yet.

I suggest very modified, lifted, large-tire wearing short wheelbase 4x4s only try and please let us know how it was.

bajatrailrider - 11-30-2017 at 08:08 AM

I rode up to Coyotes on my Bike just for the day.4 mis adventure bikes there asked If they could make it. I was kind told them I would not try it on those bikes. They replied we shall see they came back in 30 min nice damage to bikes broken saddle bags/ shift lever/ one now needs new clutch. And thing bigger then jeep hard core if your alone. Ask Mike in back Coyote to trail behind you on his bike. Just to be on safe side. Have other Amigos that did sort of made it from Mikes to Coyote. In 1985 or 86 4 runner beater. They did get Hi centered on boulder, Lucky 10 bikers came along Got them going again. The 4 runner did suffer body damage but it was rolled already so no worry. It also suffered rear brake backing plate broken bolts. I'm sure they where loose anyway. I should be camping up there about Dec 7 on. If any die hards want to give it a go. We could spot you and guild.

David K - 11-30-2017 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I rode up to Coyotes on my Bike just for the day.4 mis adventure bikes there asked If they could make it. I was kind told them I would not try it on those bikes. They replied we shall see they came back in 30 min nice damage to bikes broken saddle bags/ shift lever/ one now needs new clutch. And thing bigger then jeep hard core if your alone. Ask Mike in back Coyote to trail behind you on his bike. Just to be on safe side. Have other Amigos that did sort of made it from Mikes to Coyote. In 1985 or 86 4 runner beater. They did get Hi centered on boulder, Lucky 10 bikers came along Got them going again. The 4 runner did suffer body damage but it was rolled already so no worry. It also suffered rear brake backing plate broken bolts. I'm sure they where loose anyway. I should be camping up there about Dec 7 on. If any die hards want to give it a go. We could spot you and guild.

"It also suffered rear brake backing plate broken bolts. I'm sure they were loose anyway."

On my Tacoma, the two 'bolts' are welded to the backing plate which secures the lower end to the shoes. It is these 'bolts' that broke free of the backing plate that caused my brake fail there. Very interesting!

Failed side. Bolts and plate they secure were loose. Wiggled when grabbed.

Good side, bolts pointed out. No movement when grabbed.

bkman211 - 11-30-2017 at 09:47 PM

Just to be clear they have locked off the route to the north (dark blue line on map below) that bypasses the nasty rock climb/drop (1MK3 on map)?

[Edited on 12-1-2017 by bkman211]

[Edited on 12-1-2017 by BajaNomad]

David K - 12-1-2017 at 07:04 AM

The place where my GPS showed the north road junction just east of El Coyote is now a plowed-over field and there is no road to be seen there (Where your map says N easy E hard).

The next road closed and has been bypassed I put an X on, as well.

The red arrow points to where I turned around after my brake fail on the short, steep grade just before.

Interesting that your map has a couple of those wild, straight lines that I have been fighting with, too! .

[Edited on 12-1-2017 by David K]

John Harper - 12-1-2017 at 08:54 AM

Does anyone know if Rancho Las Truchas (Rancho Garate) is abandoned or occupied? I'm planning another trip out to Mike's in April to explore more of the San Rafael, and was thinking of hiking from Mike's and possibly camping in that area one night. I got up to the falls last year, but wanted to go much further up this next trip.

It's on the far right of your map off that medium blue line.

John

[Edited on 12-1-2017 by John Harper]

PaulW - 12-1-2017 at 03:19 PM

Here are some valid comments from a good friend.
Drove from Mikes in late May and found the lower road blocked. Took the traditional round (not sure which track). 3 jeeps with 33" tires and they had no issues. Farmer at the bottom of the hill has blocked the road.
Also in late May two 2wd trucks and one Jeep and one VW beetle did the trip with no issues.
Also in This October they found the same blocked lower road and successfully made the trip to Coyote. His comment "Now the road is fine".
Your experience may differ???

bajatrailrider - 12-5-2017 at 10:06 AM

Not sure where your talking about Paul but if lower road Mike to Coyote. In Oct open not hard. As from lower road to Coyote all graded For new water project in canyon and rancho in trees. That route blocked closed by Melings. I'm only specking of recent closing of road. As I said only route I know of from Coyote High road Moto,Jeep, ATV. Friend of mine did try High road in fully Modded VW off road rig with 2350 motor. No run at hill climb . So he could not make it. We will not go Coyote this week but next week yes 2 to 3 days. Planning on making new trail.

PaulW - 12-6-2017 at 10:16 AM

Agree to many roads. Like BajaTrailrider I will just have to go there and drive and make GPS tracks.
My friend probably took the usual road, but what about the others? Pretty sure he took the left at the Y where the new easy road that the Coyote people made. It is the easy one that he said was closed which goes down the hill to a graded road leading to/from Coyote along valley to another large rancho.