BajaNomad

importing my motorhome ??

barniclebob - 2-16-2017 at 10:32 AM

I want to leave my motorhome near Cabo for 6 months at a time in storage ,then fly in for 6 months at a time.Does anyone know if I will need to import the rig, let my BC plates lapse and get Mexican insurance & Mexican plates ?? Also anyone deal with longterm storage near Cabo have any advice ??

LancairDriver - 2-16-2017 at 11:52 AM

I left my RV in Baja for several years and flew back and forth. Just kept the Mexican insurance in effect and the US license plates up to date. Never had an issue.

Lee - 2-16-2017 at 12:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by barniclebob  
I want to leave my motorhome near Cabo for 6 months at a time in storage ,then fly in for 6 months at a time.Does anyone know if I will need to import the rig, let my BC plates lapse and get Mexican insurance & Mexican plates ?? Also anyone deal with longterm storage near Cabo have any advice ??

I've not stored in Cabo but have in Pescadero and La Paz. No problem with lapsed plate/registration while stored but I would be current when on the road.

You don't need to import unless you want to. Probably some MX law about vehicles stored down here if you don't live here f/t.

Excellent plan. Do it.