BajaNomad

trip report (3 week trip in Baja)

kevin_in_idaho - 2-18-2017 at 08:07 AM

Ok, I've been "offline" for a few weeks.  Here's a short update as we are in a hotel in the wine area between Tecate and Ensenada.  We heard yesterday that they were expecting 2" of rain and the wind was howling so we found a hotel.  Lucky we did.  It wouldn't have been fun. No rain and/or wind right now in the wine region. Wet? Sure. We'll see how the drive goes towards Tecate later today. Still cloudy and overcast but no rain.

Onto the good stuff!

Our itin was this (once we crossed at Mexicali East).  Down to Percebu, Gonzaga, Guerrero Negro, Bahia Concepcion, Santa Ignacio, back to GN (Scammons Lagoon aka Oja de Libere), Bahia de Los Angeles, San Quintin, Wine region, exit.  We stopped in many other places but the were the camping areas.  We would love to go back and explore Rosilia and Mulege more.

Trip was awesome.  Concepcion and the whales were our favorite but there was so much more!  I have extensive notes on camping, prices, etc.

No issues with getting ULSD diesel in the 2015 Ram.  We carried 10 extra gallons and used it (primarily to get the weight off the back of the truck) and could have made the trip just filling up along the way.  We did not get any diesel south of GN. 

No issues, no hassles, nothing but good times. We'll cross at Tecate later today. 

Any questions let me know.  I'll be in more regular contact again but spotty probably for another 7 - 10 days as we make our way back to Idaho.

David K - 2-18-2017 at 08:32 AM

Thank you, Kevin. Great that you saw so much and enjoyed yourself! Wher did you camp at Concepción? It was wall to wall Canada almost everywhere!

kevin_in_idaho - 2-18-2017 at 08:52 AM

Yes we met a lot of our north neighbors and I thought BC (Baja CA) meant California! :-)

We were at Escondido.

David K - 2-18-2017 at 09:05 AM

I popped in there... One thing I didn't take time to find, were the hot springs. Did you? Did I get your camper in this photo? ;)

kevin_in_idaho - 2-18-2017 at 09:08 AM

Some new people in our spot. We saw the hot springs towards that other little town over the hill but didn't go in.

David K - 2-18-2017 at 10:09 AM

Thanks... I should have brought my Hot Springs of the Southwest book. It lists 4 hot springs on Bahia Concepcion, all at the tide line: Santispac, between Santispac and Los Cocos (near Playa Escondida?), El Coyote, and Buenaventura.