BajaNomad

Rural home building

Pulgitamija - 2-21-2017 at 06:17 PM

My husband and I are throwing around the idea of moving to San Quintin area by the end of the year. He is a citizen of Mexico but has not lived there in 18 years. What we would like to do is buy land 2-10 acres and build on it. Something small and simple, probably earthbag or similar model. That building we can do ourselves. The issue that im having a hard time finding out about is water. We would be doing this cheap and well drilling companies seem to cost more than even the land we are looking at. Am i missing something here? It seems like most lovals wouldnt be able to afford these charges. What do people REALLY do for water? We need enough for our family, some livestock and some agricultural needs but not commercially, just our family. Any tips or ideas about water? Or anything else you wish to add would be great. Thanks!

mtgoat666 - 2-21-2017 at 06:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pulgitamija  
My husband and I are throwing around the idea of moving to San Quintin area by the end of the year. He is a citizen of Mexico but has not lived there in 18 years. What we would like to do is buy land 2-10 acres and build on it. Something small and simple, probably earthbag or similar model. That building we can do ourselves. The issue that im having a hard time finding out about is water. We would be doing this cheap and well drilling companies seem to cost more than even the land we are looking at. Am i missing something here? It seems like most lovals wouldnt be able to afford these charges. What do people REALLY do for water? We need enough for our family, some livestock and some agricultural needs but not commercially, just our family. Any tips or ideas about water? Or anything else you wish to add would be great. Thanks!

I always see drill rigs when driving thru SQ. I recommend you inquire with a driller to find a local engineer or Hydrogeologist that knows the local process for water rights, and knows the local drillers and pump installers. Ask multiple drillers to see what answers you get.

I don't know SQ area very well, but what little I know is that a lot of the area has ground water, but not all areas got good groundwater.

Pulgitamija - 2-21-2017 at 07:10 PM

Thank you. I have some emails out to a few right now.

MMc - 2-21-2017 at 07:11 PM

Water right are very different in Mexico than USA. Most people truck in water and have water storage. If you want to drill a well check out the water rights first. Also go to Talk Baja on facebook, Ron who runs it has a house in SQ.

Have you gone ahead with earthbag project

fire - 1-16-2019 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pulgitamija  

Hi there, I am looking to source earthbag sacks, and a tamper, have you gone ahead with the earthbag idea? If so, please share your results / info - muchly appreciated