BajaNomad

2017 Baja Pole Line Run (Day 3 of 3) +photos and video!

Ken Cooke - 2-23-2017 at 10:00 AM

After a relaxing evening, our group had a short drivers meeting and discussed the possible challenges of the "Bad Hill" and it's possibilities in blocking our passage to Mex. 5. With David needing to return the same evening to San Diego for work early the next morning, making it past the "Bad Hill" would be time critical.

We left camp, and our 10 vehicles snaked through the Jaquegel arroyo washes - past the wreckage of the Samurai up to the steep climbs that led to some of the remaining telephone poles where our group arrived for photos in only 75 minutes from our camp.

Everyone took this opportunity to disembark the Jeeps and take lots of photos!

David K - 2-23-2017 at 10:04 AM

Ah, pole love!

The going gets rough

Ken Cooke - 2-23-2017 at 10:50 AM

After the group climbed the backside of the "Bad Hill", we marveled at how well out run was going. It wasn't even noon, and we had already made the drive from our camp - in less than 2 1/2 hours! We took a short lunch break and phone calls were made from atop the "Bad Hill" mesa with full connectivity.

Our good fortune was going to quickly change with two exceptionally challenging sections that would require shoveling, winching and teamwork.

The road became badly eroded as we approached the edge of the downsloaping section of the "Bad Hill" - I was the only one to get stuck. After plenty of rock stacking, I was winched out without further difficulty.

While I worked on getting unstuck, Rich T. simply drove around and made it look exceptionally easy as shown here.

Akula and Paul W worked hard filling the holes down the trail, and the rest of our group made decent time back to the arroyo down below the "Bad Hill".

[Edited on 2-23-2017 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 2-23-2017 at 11:07 AM

Keep it coming Ken!

Ken Cooke - 2-23-2017 at 11:36 AM

After seeing how challenging the road down was, Jack explained that his stock Tacoma might have difficulties reaching the arroyo below. Our group drove to the left of the 3 foot deep washout and down the rest of the steep grade without incident.

Bill along the "Bad Hill" grade

David's 4Runner had zero difficulties. This was his first experience in what he would consider "Technical 4 wheeling."

blackwolfmt - 2-23-2017 at 12:00 PM

NICEEE !!!!

Jaquegel to Hwy 5

Ken Cooke - 2-23-2017 at 12:46 PM

Once all of the vehicles made it past the bad hill, we had one last challenge - at mile 105 , the road ascends the edge of the hill going east. Unfortunately, this section washed out, and unless one's tires are aired down, and shifted into 4Lo, you ain't makin' it.:lol:

Saturnino was already hard at work shoveling the loose rocks that littered the challenging last real section of trail.

Soon, everyone appeared with shovels - even Dani the dog scratched the ground a little! :tumble:

David K - 2-23-2017 at 12:49 PM

That is where we camped in 2015 and where the trail work was made for us to get out ... and where TW pulled the Bronco up, with the Tacoma.

Ken Cooke - 2-23-2017 at 12:55 PM

We said our good-byes to Jack, Rich T., Paul W., and Jim (along with their respective passengers) before following Saturnino to his friend Sergio's place. Here, we aired up our tires and reconnected swaybar links. The vehicles were all surprisingly clean, considering it had rained sporadically throughout Saturday.

Leidys wouldn't get out of the Jeep, due to there being two large dogs on Sergio's property.

That's it, folks!

David K - 2-23-2017 at 01:06 PM

Anyone find any insulators or other artifacts photographed?

Chuck got lucky in 2015:

Items found by 4x4abc and some broken insulators I found.

The cobblestone road sections from 1942 were way cool, too...

Ken Cooke - 2-23-2017 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Anyone find any insulators or other artifacts photographed?

I came across this neat isolator fragment, but I carefully placed it and the nail with wood beside some rocks for others to marvel at it in the future.

ehall - 2-23-2017 at 05:25 PM

Great pictures. Looks like alot of fun.

ehall - 2-24-2017 at 05:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

Once all of the vehicles made it past the bad hill, we had one last challenge - at mile 105 , the road ascends the edge of the hill going east. Unfortunately, this section washed out, and unless one's tires are aired down, and shifted into 4Lo, you ain't makin' it.:lol:

Saturnino was already hard at work shoveling the loose rocks that littered the challenging last real section of trail.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/thedesertoutlaw/media/Baja%20Pole%20Line%202017%20Run/received_366300593756451_zpsalbthnfo.jpeg.html]

[/URL]

Soon, everyone appeared with shovels - even Dani the dog scratched the ground a little! :tumble:

Ken. Did you climb the cliff before the road was fixed? Lol

bajatrailrider - 2-24-2017 at 08:27 AM

Thanks for great pictures was trip more hard.Then other year I did it because of rain? All trucks/Jeeps bad ass thank you for shearing.

Udo - 2-24-2017 at 08:46 AM

Thanks for the superb videos and photos!

PaulW - 2-24-2017 at 08:52 AM

Lots of worry about fuel for such a long trip.
Got around to filling the Jeep tank. Highway from ElDorado Pmex to the 2D Pmex near Hwy5 16.9 MPG. Then from the 2D Pmex back to ElDorado Pmex 8.6 MPG with 8 gallons remaining in the tank. The Jeep has 5.35 gears and 12.5x15 tires and was heavily loaded. 15 psi tires starting at the turn off at 2D. Pretty happy with the fuel usage. The Bronco I sold got half those fuel mileage numbers.
And yes I did get a Check engine light one morning. Turned out to be a loose gas cap. Light went out after reinstalling the cap.

Ken Cooke - 2-24-2017 at 09:41 AM

Down the Jaquegel arroyo before approaching the "Bad Hill" area.

David K - 2-25-2017 at 01:59 AM

Was the Suzuki in the same place as 2015 (1/10 mile to the left)?

PaulW - 2-25-2017 at 10:17 AM

Was the Suzuki in the same place as 2015 (1/10 mile to the left)?

======= =
Yes same place

6WHEELN - 3-2-2017 at 09:34 AM

6WHEELN - 3-2-2017 at 09:37 AM

B Line Down Bad Hill

Mexitron - 3-2-2017 at 10:17 AM

Are you referring to "Bad Hill" as the switchback drop into the arroyo...I remember that as "Bowling Ball Hill" but maybe we made that name up...

David K - 3-2-2017 at 11:56 AM

Bad Hill is the long grade up the mesa with the many poles over to the north. They are also using that name for the steep grade down from the mesa going east. After the mesa grade you drop into Jaquegel briefly, then we had to build the road to climb out. The new group did as well.

PaulW - 3-2-2017 at 04:03 PM

Bad Hill is the long grade up the mesa with the many poles over to the north. They are also using that name for the steep grade down from the mesa going east. After the mesa grade you drop into Jaquegel briefly, then we had to build the road to climb out. The new group did as well.

==== ====
The pic shows the location with coordinates and notes
[URL=http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Paulwil/media/Pole%20Line%20Road/Untitled_zpsara7rth8.jpg.html][/URL

Akula - 3-4-2017 at 09:59 PM

Finally getting some time to download some more pictures of the trip. Enjoy!

Lots of green!

A quick lunch break.

Hanging out at the tank.

It's a Jeep thing!

A great trip with amazing views and some great new friends!

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by BajaNomad]

Akula - 3-4-2017 at 10:14 PM

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by BajaNomad]

wessongroup - 3-4-2017 at 10:43 PM

Some "road" .. .Blue, blue skies :):)