BajaNomad

Da Toni - Ensenada

elgatoloco - 2-26-2017 at 04:07 PM

We ate some exceptional food last Thursday in Ensenada. Chef came to the table and described the menu. Six of us ordered a variety of dishes and a few appetizers for the table. Had two bottles of Villa Montefiori red that paired nicely. The place is small and is very popular so it can fill up fast. Our friends who took as there had called ahead for a table. Plenty of parking nearby. If you want Italian food in Ensenada you can't go wrong at Da Toni. IMHO.

Av Riveroll 143
Zona Centro
22800 Ensenada
B.C., Mexico

MMc - 2-26-2017 at 04:45 PM

Thanks for the review. I will check it out.

David K - 2-26-2017 at 04:49 PM

Matt, is Chef Johnny still open at Halfway House?

Da Toni

bajaguy - 2-26-2017 at 05:02 PM

If you want an interesting experience, just ask the cook/owner for more sauce

Udo - 2-27-2017 at 11:38 AM

Quick note...it is a very popular place

and does not take reservations. Calling ahead does no good.

BajaBlanca - 2-27-2017 at 12:01 PM

We went there too! The chef/owner was not too friendly which was so disappointing, but I loved the atmosphere. Anytime you get Truly Italian food is fun. Very tiny restaurant with few tables.

We paid in pesos but I read online that he doesn't like getting paid in dollars.

Les tried a truffle dish. He couldn't taste the truffle but I could smell it! I think I had tiramisu for dessert and it was great!

BornFisher - 2-27-2017 at 12:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

He was a few weeks ago! Breakfast $5.

David K - 2-27-2017 at 12:18 PM

Thanks!

bajaguy - 2-27-2017 at 12:19 PM

"not too friendly" is an understatement. He is downright rude

Do not ever ask to change/substitute anything or ask for anymore then what you get served. We had friends who asked for more sauce and his head exploded and he told them to leave.

The guy makes pretty good food, but he drives customers away with his attitude.

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
We went there too! The chef/owner was not too friendly which was so disappointing, but I loved the atmosphere. Anytime you get Truly Italian food is fun. Very tiny restaurant with few tables.

We paid in pesos but I read online that he doesn't like getting paid in dollars.

Les tried a truffle dish. He couldn't taste the truffle but I could smell it! I think I had tiramisu for dessert and it was great!

del mar - 2-27-2017 at 12:49 PM

screw that, I don't care how good his lasagna is....he's not getting my peso's :no:

bajaguy - 2-27-2017 at 01:04 PM

Try Ennio's, Costero just north of Blancarte

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
screw that, I don't care how good his lasagna is....he's not getting my peso's :no:

elgatoloco - 2-27-2017 at 01:22 PM

No soup for you! Ha ha.

The chef was very charming and made an accommodation for one in our party with a dietary restriction. We were there for a couple of hours and saw diners come and go and owner was working the room and it seemed that folks were happy. My observation was that most, including our friends, were regulars based on how they were greeted. I guess we got lucky and that is good for the owner that its a small place with a loyal following? As they say 'there's an ass for every seat'.

YMMV :saint:

"No one goes there anymore. Its too crowded." - Yogi Berra

elgatoloco - 2-27-2017 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Had not been there for awhile. Good to hear he is still at it. Always had a good meal from him.

DanO - 2-27-2017 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Try Ennio's, Costero just north of Blancarte

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

I've had a couple of decent meals at La Forchetta, just around the corner on Blancarte.