BajaNomad

Ecolodge Tres Virgenes EcoTours

bajamary1952 - 3-3-2017 at 07:54 PM

My dog and I arrived at this peaceful place today and here for 2 days. Going on an ecotour tomorrow with "Borrego". This is a wonderful place and very quiet after the overpopulated Bahia Concepcion beaches. Food is great in the restaurant. Cabanas are 350 pesos/night/single with hot water & electricity. Highly recommend.
If you check Google map you can find the location with Tres Virgenes Ecotour. It is on Mex 1 about 30 minutes once you leave Santa Rosalia.
Here are my photos including today's hike near the thermoelectric plant:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45160828@N02/albums/7215767752...

DSCF6997xx.jpg - 198kB DSCF7003xx.jpg - 207kB DSCF7007 (2).JPG - 199kB

[Edited on 3-4-2017 by bajamary1952]

BigBearRider - 3-3-2017 at 08:11 PM

It looks awesome. Are these the cabanas you can see north of Mex 1? On a bit of a hill west of the access road?

[Edited on 3-4-2017 by BigBearRider]

Nashville Frank - 3-3-2017 at 09:14 PM

Bajamary,
Very nice! Where are these located?
Frank

BajaBlanca - 3-4-2017 at 07:55 AM

These are the three virgins cabanas that are located between san Ignacio and santa rosalia.

Very peaceful and really beautiful location!

BajaBlanca - 3-4-2017 at 07:59 AM

Here is a trip report I did but for some reason I cannot bring up the photos which ticks me off!

However, there is other info that might be relevant.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49371#pid5709...

BajaBlanca - 3-4-2017 at 08:03 AM

This thread has great pictures!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49346

DENNIS - 3-4-2017 at 08:16 AM

Worth the trip down memory lane [thanks, Blanca] just to re-enjoy Mon Sharí's comment: Juan's uncle's niece's husband...(you know how that goes)
A classic from the archives....fer shure.

vapno - 12-15-2017 at 06:10 PM

Does anyone have a current phone number for Eco Tour Las Tres Virgenes? The number on their Facebook is someone else. I tried another number for them and it's disconnected. An email to the Gmail address listed on their Facebook page didn't bounce, but I got no reply.

I'm hoping for at least a ride out to the base of the volcano (as I'm experienced in desert scrambling solo) or paying more for a guide to the top. However, since this is a full day activity, I'm concerned about springing this on them the day before.

BigBearRider - 12-15-2017 at 06:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vapno  
Does anyone have a current phone number for Eco Tour Las Tres Virgenes? The number on their Facebook is someone else. I tried another number for them and it's disconnected. An email to the Gmail address listed on their Facebook page didn't bounce, but I got no reply.

I'm hoping for at least a ride out to the base of the volcano (as I'm experienced in desert scrambling solo) or paying more for a guide to the top. However, since this is a full day activity, I'm concerned about springing this on them the day before.

I don't have it. But, I noticed for the first time on Tuesday that there is a new sign on the highway advertising the place. I think it's 350 pesos a night. Someone else might get the contact info from the sign?

Hotel Tres Virgenes

David K - 12-15-2017 at 07:10 PM

I also was very impressed with the place and "Borrego", the manager.
Here is from my trip report of last February:

The most recently active volcano on the peninsula is passed between San Ignacio and Santa Rosalia, Tres Virgenes is the complex of three volcanoes...

Km. 31.5 Paved road north to an eco-lodge, Volcán Tres Vírgenes (1.8 mi. in). 5 ؙcabins have 10 rooms with shower and toilet, 350 pesos. Food served in the lodge. The paved road beyond the resort (gated) goes to a geothermal electric plant.

Francisco (likes to be called 'Borrego') manages the lodge and he showed me around... I will be back!

[Edited on 4-11-2018 by David K]

StuckSucks - 12-16-2017 at 01:23 PM

My turn to pile on.

Here's a photosphere I shot up in the tower:

https://goo.gl/maps/9RpvkvmHeR52

TMW - 12-16-2017 at 02:11 PM

That's cool

BigBearRider - 12-18-2017 at 11:27 AM

Very cool. Thanks for posting. I will check it out one of these days.

willardguy - 12-18-2017 at 11:50 AM

we didn't find it our cup of tea but did enjoy touristing around the CFE facility, you can travel north through the well roads until you hit a steep cliff that drops straight down for a mile, the side of the volcano I guess? we spent a half day fooling around the site never had anyone question us!

and a couple old ranch buildings to explore.

[Edited on 12-18-2017 by willardguy]

BigBearRider - 12-22-2017 at 07:45 AM

Per the sign, the phone number is:

615 152 2652

vapno - 1-1-2018 at 06:07 PM

Thanks for the research, folks! Unfortunately, that's the same broken phone number as before. If anyone is visiting there in the next two weeks, shoot me a message. I'll keep trying the number. Maybe it will work better when I'm able to call within Baja.

David K - 1-1-2018 at 06:22 PM

On the rare chance they are filled up, you have lots of options in either direction, 20-30 miles.

tonikaus - 1-24-2018 at 02:04 PM

Did you ever make it to Tres Virgenes? We too have been trying to contact them re camping/lodging options. No luck so far. If you did get there, please pass along current contact information. Thanks!

wilderone - 1-27-2018 at 08:33 AM

In Blanca's old 2010 post there was mention of [future] tours to hotsprings there. Are any hotsprings accessible near the Tres Virgines cabanas?

David K - 1-27-2018 at 09:50 AM

None were mentioned by 'Borrego' (the manager).
In my books (and I think including Graham's first book), I recall the springs are closer to the north of the volcano...?

It is a very rugged area... In the 1960s, only one road existed to the north from Rancho Tres Virgenes to La Palma (20.5 mi) and San Carlos, 29 mi).

In 2018:

[Edited on 1-27-2018 by David K]

StuckSucks - 1-27-2018 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Shouldn't the text Tres Virgenes be located on the west side of the road, where the cones are located?

David K - 4-11-2018 at 11:03 AM

Hi Jim, I just noticed this question from you, sorry it took me a few months to spot it! LOL

The volcano complex of Trés Vírgenes is huge, with three (tres) primary 'cones' that are part of a large caldera, much like Yellowstone. In actuality, the caldera is known as 'La Reforma' with La Vírgen being the highest peak.

The full text is 'Volcán Tres Vírgenes' with the paved road going north between the words. I began the name at the south slope of the tallest cone but here it applies to the entire caldera that stretches to the gulf coast.

The word 'lodge' is next to the black box which indicates where the 'hotel' is located (west of the road).

Does this make sense to you?

[Edited on 4-11-2018 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 4-11-2018 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The volcano complex of Trés Vírgenes is huge, with three (trés) primary 'cones' that are part of a large caldera, much like Yellowstone. In actuality, the caldera is known as 'La Reforma' with La Vírgen being the highest peak.

the tres virgenes volcanoes are west of la reforma caldera and southwest of aguajito caldera. the tres virgenes are younger than the calderas. the tres virgenes are not in the calderas.

David K - 4-11-2018 at 01:48 PM

That seems to be a special word! Thanks for noticing so long after this was first posted.

Volcán has an accent and Vírgenes has an accent. I guess I didn't want Tres to be left out? LOL

Thanks!

StuckSucks - 4-11-2018 at 04:28 PM

Thanks Goat, for pointing out calderas and general placement of stuff.

bajabuddha - 4-11-2018 at 04:54 PM

Great map, Stucks. My limited geologic knowledge couldn't get around that being a 'caldera'. The Virgenes (all 3) are volcanic peaks from their own separate vents in ascending order from the north. A 'caldera' is a very large group of blow-outs in great volume, like Jellystone. There are no calderas known (from MHO) to have happened in recorded history (YET). It's definitely a cataclysmic event when it does.

Your map shows some wonderful insights to what went down..... "pyroclastic rock" would've happened during the caldera event. It's deeper material than simple lava...... that comes from the mantle rather than melted crustal materials like basalt ("lava"). Hence the pyroclastic mat'l is what carries ore to the surface, as in what they're mining in Sta. Rosalia etc. "Lahar" is hot jettisoned mat'l down the mountainsides during violent eruptions like St. Helens had in '80. The map shows the lahars came down from the two older volcanos, probably old enough when Baja was wet, cooler and wild..... long before human habitation but long after the caldera events. the ''Lava" below La Virgen was the most recent basaltic flow, and not long ago at all (in geologic terms).

Lordy, to be younger with this info and spend time out there pokin' around... too late for me, but you amateur rock-knockers, have at it. Every time I see La Senora I always wish there was a little plume coming out of a vent somewhere. It's dormant, not extinct by any means. I've heard undocumented rumors of early reports from the late 1700's of a bit of smoke up there...... wot a treasure...... :coolup:

Katmai Caldera

AKgringo - 4-11-2018 at 06:14 PM

Buddha, the 1912 eruption in Alaska probably qualifies; https://www.nps.gov/articles/aps-v11-i1-c2.htm

Buildings on Kodiak Island collapsed under the load of ash!

[Edited on 4-12-2018 by AKgringo]

bajabuddha - 4-11-2018 at 08:56 PM

True, AK... come to realization, the Kiluea area is a caldera as well, and has been erupting constantly for what, 35 years now? As I mentioned, a caldera is a series of many vents, volcanoes and dykes which Kiluea has several of... that when fueled all at once can create a cataclysmic eruption which fortunately hasn't happened in recorded history such as Yellowstone, etc. One volcano like Krakatoa can create devastating effects, but a full-on blast like Yellowstone would re-create life as we know it. La Virgen is a very dangerous volcano much like St. Helens that as a cone volcano has the potential for a large violent eruption rather than an ''ooze'' eruption, however who's flanks show just that...... a basaltic ooze of the last event.

My new state of NM is an example, but millions of years old now. Lots of calderas around us, like the Gila Mountains for instance. Most of New Mexico is volcanic. Also, IDAHO. OREGON. The whole of the California/Baja CA granitic mountains are a batholith of lava that didn't make the surface to touch oxygen and turn into lava, hence the origin of granite in general. Whoo, earth happens!

Mama knows how to keep us in our place. Fun stuff, eh? :bounce:

bajamary1952 - 11-16-2018 at 10:13 AM

I stayed at Tres Virgenes in a cabana in the past and a day or two ago. Unfortunately the place has deteriorated somewhat since my last visit. Seems the women on staff there have let things go & there is a lot more trash around the property. There were students from an Ensenada university there doing research so perhaps they don't focus much on tourists anymore. The man, Borrego, who did tours is not there anymore. 250 pesos/cabana/1 person/night.

caj13 - 11-16-2018 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Buddha, the 1912 eruption in Alaska probably qualifies; https://www.nps.gov/articles/aps-v11-i1-c2.htm

Buildings on Kodiak Island collapsed under the load of ash!

[Edited on 4-12-2018 by AKgringo]

when I was doing research up there, the helicopter flight went over "land of 10,000 smokes" absolutely amazing , still hard to believe, even after you see it first hand!