BajaNomad

selling a california vehicle in mexico

del mar - 3-6-2017 at 04:14 PM

just when you think you're done with ca. dmv....:no:

so I sold a green sticker'd dirt bike to a guy down here, signed over the pink slip and submitted the notice of transfer to the ca. dmv, obviously he never registered it in california. now I get a letter telling me its going to collection if I don't cough up the $75 fee including penalty. same thing would happen next time it came up for renewal.
suggestions?

pacsur - 3-6-2017 at 04:31 PM

I usually buy vehicles in CA and import in Tijuana, I never register them in CA, I tell sellers that's it's going to Mexico and to take a felt pen and write that the vehicle was "sold in Mexico and is no longer in the USA" if the dmv sends something, seems to work.

TecateRay - 3-6-2017 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  
I usually buy vehicles in CA and import in Tijuana, I never register them in CA, I tell sellers that's it's going to Mexico and to take a felt pen and write that the vehicle was "sold in Mexico and is no longer in the USA" if the dmv sends something, seems to work.

I did the same thing with a trailer I sold in Baja. Nothing seemed to work until I wrote the same thing on the bill and sent it in.

KurtG - 3-6-2017 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
just when you think you're done with ca. dmv....:no:

so I sold a green sticker'd dirt bike to a guy down here, signed over the pink slip and submitted the notice of transfer to the ca. dmv, obviously he never registered it in california. now I get a letter telling me its going to collection if I don't cough up the $75 fee including penalty. same thing would happen next time it came up for renewal.
suggestions?

I've been through this when the "release of liability" didn't seem to get recorded. At the direction of my local DMV I did a "Statement of Fact" form where I stated that the vehicle had been sold out of state. Fees went away and no more problem. If I were to do this again I would do the release of liability on line with DMV and print it out to have a record. I may be in the minority but I have found DMV folk pretty helpful especially if you make an appointment.

bajatrailrider - 3-7-2017 at 11:26 AM

I have sold many green sicker( Ca rip off) off road bikes. Always report sold out of country. Only one they sent there rip off letter.It was returned again sold out of country,No problems.