BajaNomad

Which Baja vehicle do you like ??

Paco Facullo - 3-7-2017 at 01:21 PM

Hello all ya Baja people ,
I'm in the process of selling my Honda Element ( that I love ) but not practical for
the dirt roads of Baja . So I was thinking of buying a TOYOTA Tacoma 4x4 w/ a pop-up camper shell.
Question is what vehicle do you people think would be best .?
I really wanted a Sportsmobile 4x4 diesel van BUT the cost of them suckers is crazy !
I an pretty much decided on a pop-up camper for the light weight, less wind resistance and being stealth sleeping in cities.
So I really would like your opinions on which make and model of pickup truck you prefer ?

gator - 3-7-2017 at 01:28 PM

I currently drive a f250 diesel. If I had it over to do again I probably get the new chevy colorado zr2. Looks like a very intriguing truck, but it's not available yet.

motoged - 3-7-2017 at 01:30 PM

Oh, boy....here we go !

And what tires and oil are best ?

Paco Facullo - 3-7-2017 at 01:58 PM

Oh God. ..?
Am I stirring up a hornets nest ??

Sorry I just wanted a few experienced Baja dirt road people's opinion.

kevin_in_idaho - 3-7-2017 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Oh God. ..?

Here's my opinion. I have a new diesel and love it. RAM1500 w/ a Four Wheel Camper. Great combo.

Other trucks are good too but here's one thing to consider if you want a diesel. The new diesels use ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur) and that's only available in Baja Norte. Once you pass that line, the diesel can void your warrantee you get in the south. So.... if you could find an older, pre DEF, etc. diesel truck, that's what I'd get. When you go to Baja look and see what you see most of; older diesel Cummins, Fords, etc. because they can run on anything....

If you want something newer, there are a lot of options. Just get a 4x4.

del mar - 3-7-2017 at 02:19 PM

sounds like you would like to go the van route, do you really need a 4wd diesel? after years of beating the crap out of various vehicles in baja by far our favorite was our Camberg lifted 2wd ford E-150, took that thing everywhere and never got stuck. well, not everywhere!

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2017 at 02:34 PM

Hello all ya Baja people ,
I'm in the process of selling my Honda Element ( that I love ) but not practical for
the dirt roads of Baja . So I was thinking of buying a TOYOTA Tacoma 4x4 w/ a pop-up camper shell.
Question is what vehicle do you people think would be best .?
I really wanted a Sportsmobile 4x4 diesel van BUT the cost of them suckers is crazy !
I an pretty much decided on a pop-up camper for the light weight, less wind resistance and being stealth sleeping in cities.
So I really would like your opinions on which make and model of pickup truck you prefer ?

A red crew cab 1/2 ton pickup truck is best.

norte - 3-7-2017 at 02:39 PM

One that gets you back to the USA.

A Tacoma with anything in it will need suspension help.

StuckSucks - 3-7-2017 at 03:10 PM

I drive a Tacoma - it's been the length of Baja and to many remote spots. When not in my Tacoma, I am in a Team Tacoma - both extremely capable and reliable. My next truck.

MMc - 3-7-2017 at 03:13 PM

I know a couple of friends that have a taco with a popup style camper, they like them. They have done suspension on them all, either airbags and or lifts. When they added the popup the mileage really went down. Get what you want, I reason I might like something, is the same reason you will hate it. Most trucks are well built and do a good job.

chavycha - 3-7-2017 at 04:09 PM

Try to be more specific on your limitations / wants / needs and you'll get better recommendations.

Budget? Full size / compact pickup? Towing? Etc...

LancairDriver - 3-7-2017 at 07:19 PM

Oh God. ..?

Not at all. Your questions are legit and many on this forum are more than willing to help you out. That is what the majority on this site will do. Unfortunately the usual suspects are always there to make sarcastic comments they think are cute and somehow make themselves relevant. Personally, I prefer a Jeep Wrangler as a good reliable all around Baja rig in stock configuration for light to medium off road and reasonably comfortable highway driving. It also is a good tow vehicle behind an RV.

philodog - 3-7-2017 at 10:48 PM

I used to be a Tacoma guy until I drove the Tundra. What a difference in ride comfort! Like driving a Lazy Boy. I have the 2010 quad cab and 6.5' bed with the 4.7L. 120,000 miles and completely happy. It goes everywhere that I would drive a Tacoma in Baja and in much more comfort and room.

David K - 3-7-2017 at 11:43 PM

Tacoma 4WD Off Road TRD y nada mas!

yellowklr - 3-8-2017 at 07:29 AM

Tacomas are nice but the Gas mileage is horrible for a small truck....I agree with philidog and get a tundra much more room and comfort.

David K - 3-8-2017 at 07:56 AM

If you are an explorer, a full size truck is just too big for some trails. Even the Tacoma 4 door I have shows some under body damage, including the rear bumper, due to the length. Cameron Steele, a huge off road expert driver, could not get his Ford Raptor all the way too Mission Santa MarĂ­a. Bigger isn't always better! ;)

norte - 3-8-2017 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Oh God. ..?

Not at all. Your questions are legit and many on this forum are more than willing to help you out. That is what the majority on this site will do. Unfortunately the usual suspects are always there to make sarcastic comments they think are cute and somehow make themselves relevant. Personally, I prefer a Jeep Wrangler as a good reliable all around Baja rig in stock configuration for light to medium off road and reasonably comfortable highway driving. It also is a good tow vehicle behind an RV.

That wrangler would look curte with a pop-top on it.

OP stated his needs. most comments stayed on track and tried to help out...there were the usual my way or the hwy which addressed their desires and not the OP's.

Paco Facullo - 3-8-2017 at 08:56 AM

Hey all,
Thanks ever SO MUCH !
You have given me so other options to investigate in more detail.
Ya, , the gas mileage on a Tacoma with a pop- up concerns me as I'm retired and do a whole lot of traveling . The Ford 1/2 ton diesel w/ pop-up looks like a better fit . It is just me so I don't need a ton of room. I've been using my Honda Element with the rear seats out for camping. It's OK for short trips but I want much more comfort.
Long ago 1986 I bought a Nisson hardbody 4x4 V6 and put a shell on it.
I was surprised at tbe low gas mileag .
I was looking to pay about $ 30,000 to $40,000 max.
I

[Edited on 3-8-2017 by Paco Facullo]

DeMinimis - 3-8-2017 at 10:26 AM

The best Baja vehicle, ever, since the dawn of time and for all time yet to come, was our former Sportsmobile. Decent diesel mileage. Installed a good Italian marine fridge, inverter, solar, 40 gallon Transfer Flow fuel tank, Pro Rock 60 front axle, Dana 70 rear and Atlas II transfer case... Worked great when the kids were small, but not big enough as they grew. Two downsides (had to do the outside shower thing, but the bathroom was just a cactus and shovel away). seated six, slept four. Anyway, do that.

[Edited on 3-8-2017 by DeMinimis]

Paco Facullo - 3-8-2017 at 10:37 AM

Sweet van. ,,!!

Yep, REALLY like the Sportsmobile but very expensive.
Don't want to put THAT much money into a vehicle.

DON'T SEND HELP ! Love it !

DeMinimis - 3-8-2017 at 10:49 AM

I got ours on the cheap. Really cheap (repo'd, RV dealer in TX bought it at action but no market for those in TX -Yea, I flew and drove it the 2.2K miles home (included replacing a u-joint in a parking lot in Utah). Of course, the market was in the tank ('08) at the time. Needed a lot of work (I completely redid the suspension including having the springs recurved, added two leafs in the rear and one in the front, different shock mounting system and custom valved shocks, Dynaloc hubs as the Warn hubs kept breaking, etc. etc. etc. Sold it for $55k in '10. Saw it on Craigslist a few months back. Same price (of course it sold in short order). Anyway, they can be had on the relative cheap, but you've got to be really watching CL, the Sportsmobile forum, etc. and be ready to pounce. The reason we sold ours and the reason the two following owners sold it was growing kids. Doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you. Anyway, it's something to consider if you find a good used one at a good price. Mine was over the top when I finished it. You can find ones not so built for less and closer to your price range.

[Edited on 3-8-2017 by DeMinimis]

BajaTed - 3-8-2017 at 11:06 AM

I know what Baja local folks want:
When I take my 88 Toyota FWD P/U with the 22R motor, I get at least one offer to buy it yelled at me each time I take it to Baja. When I took it to Cabo and back I had more than a dozen offers, geez I sure was glad my Boxer dog was with me that time.

elgatoloco - 3-8-2017 at 11:13 AM

We coveted the Sportsmobile when we saw them way back when. Because I needed a truck that I could use for work and I am 6'4" and we like to take too much stuff we ultimately ended up with an F-250 and a pop up. It has served us well over the years and it still running - 1999 7.3 321,000 miles. As we speak camper is at factory getting some upgrades and looking forward to many more years of use on both sides of the border.

With the camper fully loaded and cruise control set at 65 we get 14 MPG. YMMV. :saint:

Calamajue.jpg - 40kB

Tomas Tierra - 3-8-2017 at 11:43 AM

Agree with the Crazy Cat...... Truck with a four wheel camper.. You can unload it and have a regular truck anytime. The sports mobile , although admittedly bad to the bone, is so specific a vehicle..

I'm on my fifth Toyota and third four wheel camper in 25 years of off road Baja.. Could not think of a more versatile and nimble set up than a FWC Hawk model on a first gen Tundra.

Your going to eat crap on mileage no matter what you do.. Few exceptions

Disclaim- both previous Four wheel campers were sold to upgrade only, both still in great shape and sold for more than I paid...

Good luck

TT

DeMinimis - 3-8-2017 at 12:24 PM

If I may retort :-)

On our second pickup/truck camper combo since the Sporty, so, obviously, I'm a truck/camper guy. With the Sporty, we saw 17MPG (7.3) on the insterstate. What I wouldn't give... I hauled our wakeboard boat, trailer heaped with hay bails, etc. and still drove it as a daily driver (until diesel hit $5 (remember that)) and then used a Corolla as my daily. Very versatile. Not as versatile as a pickup, but for a Baja rig (the OP's question), it is hard to beat. I do miss asking for a soda or Hot Pocket while driving and being handed one. If I could go back in time, I MIGHT have kept the sporty and bought/built an off-road tear drop to pull behind it (for the kids....those damn kids). Wife also really wanted a bathroom and I can say we smell better having one. Regardless, let us know what your get! Then, let us tell you how to build it!!

Paco Facullo - 3-8-2017 at 02:27 PM

You guy's are great ! Thanks again.
Lots of good info.
I'm off to Thailand tomorrow for a month but rest aassured I will keep you all abreast of things when they happen .
Hey what guy's don't dig talking about trucks, fishing, chicks and travels ?
Paco de China

WestyWanderer - 3-8-2017 at 03:40 PM

Paco,

I had a 2005 Access Cab Tacoma with a 2 inch lift, 31 inch tires and a pop up camper on it and loved it. The mileage went from 18 to 13/14 with the camper on and I did add airbags to the rear which I would highly recommend if you go this route. The newer Tundras with nothing in it averages 16 at best, add the camper and I am sure the mileage will plummet. The older body style Tundra with the 4.7 V8 (2000-2006) is great because of size and MPG but good luck finding one with under 100K miles.

I sold my 2005 with 200k miles just last year and bought a 2016 Tacoma, STAY AWAY from the 2016. I didn't have a single problem with the 2005 and had put probably 20k Baja miles on it. The new motor and transmission combo in the 2016 is terrible (shifts all the time, feels like no torque, terrible throttle response).

If I could do it all over again I would buy a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 access cab with firestone ride rite airbags and put the pop up on that. Very hard combo to beat for just a solo traveler.

Just my experience

Paco Facullo - 3-8-2017 at 04:12 PM

Cool man,

I'm just going to suck it up as for mileage. The savings you will get on not doing hotels will more than make up for it.

Thanks all for the great responses and suggestions.

thebajarunner - 3-8-2017 at 06:05 PM

"sucking it up for mileage" not only costs money but range...

And range is king in Baja.

We camped next to a young couple from Canuckland, they had a severely overloaded Toyota and were getting just over 200 miles to the tank. I assured them that the new station at Gonzaga would likely give them the boost to make it north,
but they were carrying two 5 gal jerry cans full of petrol all the time.
Bummer to have to pack it in your rig, and not in your tank.

My 19 year old F150 gives me 400+ miles range, and it is very comfy with a v-8 that gets me right down the road.

WestyWanderer - 3-9-2017 at 03:38 PM

Range is definitely a consideration. With my Tacoma/Camper set up I was getting 250+ miles per tank and personally never ran into a situation where fuel was an issue, just had to be sure to plan ahead.

chavycha - 3-9-2017 at 05:16 PM

Or buy a $5k rig and stay in hotels for the next 1,000 nights you spend in Baja.

AKgringo - 3-9-2017 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  
Or buy a $5k rig and stay in hotels for the next 1,000 nights you spend in Baja.

That's the way I roll! I bought my little soft top Kia 4x4 for $3200 dollars and put another thousand or so into tires, suspension, clutch and belts.

It has made five trips at least as far as the east cape, averaging about six weeks per trip. That includes a lot of back roads, arroyos. and beaches.

I have had more smiles per dollar with that little rig, save a bunch with liability only insurance, and if things go really sideways I can afford to walk away from it without a huge financial hit. Kind of like a lot of Baja investments!

chavycha - 3-9-2017 at 08:00 PM

Though many may be happy with pricey rigs (I'd love me a Sportsmobile too!), the idea that you're going to 'save on hotels' by buying a $40k rig with camper top is some ludicrous false economy.

We took a $9k Jeep down this year and I felt it was a little too 'nice' for everyday Baja use, though it was comfortable on the drive down and back (heated seats, woot!). I didn't like when I shoved it up a dirt path in an arroyo and raked all sides with cholla spines. Or when I was dipping the rear tires in the surf while launching the boat. I'd have liked it a lot less with a $40k Tundra. But there is something to be said for a nearly new vehicle which is less likely to go ta taas-up on you in the middle of nowhere. To each their own.

[Edited on 3-10-2017 by chavycha]

Tomas Tierra - 3-10-2017 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  

No hotels where I want to be.
Friends have always asked why I don't have a place in Baja. I reply that I have dozens of places........that I like to set up my place in Baja:bounce:

TT

chavycha - 3-10-2017 at 02:39 PM

Not gonna argue against the benefits of being able to pull over wherever, whenever and set up camp.:cool:

Paco Facullo - 3-11-2017 at 12:58 PM

Man there is so many pro and cons !
Ideally I would like to find an older low mileage truck for not too much.
Dependability is real important to me. Also I rallying don't want to be drving something SO nice and shiney in Baja...

Two years ago I actually purchased a beat up bad paint Hyndai Santa Fe 4x4 SUV with 247 K miles on it just for Baja . Ended up finding out it was going to need a new transfer case in the not distant future and as I only paid $1700 for the car I decided to sell it.
Also I found out that it is NOT a good idea to just simply walk away from a broken down vehicle and leave it in Baja. That is what I thought I would do If I broke down too bad and too far down South. I would start back packing it. I
I found this out by asking Mexico Mike. There is no fees of window sticker for cars in Baja BUT if you abandon a vehicle in Baja registered to you it could come back to haunt you later.

David K - 3-11-2017 at 02:08 PM

Interesting logic here...

So, do you want a dependable 4x4 truck or SUV?
Can you purchase or lease a new one ($30K-$50K for most)?
Will you be traveling in Baja for the rest of your life?

For me, the answer was yes to all three questions. The answer was also a Toyota Tacoma OFF ROAD TRD 4X4. I have leased three and #3 is now turned into a purchase. It is a 2010 Double Cab.
It was actually made at the Toyota factory in Baja California, so it likes it down there... like going home!

It has been back to Baja every month this year, traveling over 2,000 miles each time and much of that is off highway. I have yet to hear of a more dependable small truck than the Toyota Tacoma.

blackwolfmt - 3-11-2017 at 02:53 PM

How many miles on your Toy DK

David K - 3-11-2017 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
How many miles on your Toy DK

This one is nearing 98,000 miles. Not a lot for a 7-year-old truck.
My 2005 truck had 102,000 in 4 years when I traded it in.
My 2001 truck had 136,000 in under 5 years.

Paco Facullo - 3-11-2017 at 05:19 PM

I do so love Baja and also know that it is a good possibility for taking the ferry across the Cortez and traveling the mainland.
And a trip to Canada & Alaska would be great. So a lot of camping in the USA is in the plan ( that are always held loosey goosey ) my ONLY plan I fallow 100% is to have FUN !
Thanks for ALL of your replys as they have given my much to consider.
By the way, Thialand is great too, in a vary different way.

TMW - 3-11-2017 at 09:09 PM

I was at the Fred Hall Central Valley Sports Show today at the Kern County Fairgrounds. As usual the local Toyota dealer had a number of Toyota's on display. I was impressed with a lifted Tacoma 4x4 quadcab with 33 inch tires. Sticker price was just over $34,000 and the 4 Wheel Parts Pro Comp lift was an additional $7,000. It looked really good. The tires were LT285/70R17.

David K - 3-11-2017 at 11:09 PM

Check out the TRD Pro.

Don Juan de Fuca - 3-12-2017 at 01:36 PM

Ola,
Just registered today. I recently returned from Baja and am planning on a driving trip back so I am also considering the most appropriate vehicle. Criteria being good clearance, robust shocks, reliability and inexpensive. All things considered I'm leaning towards a de-commisioned Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor. Great shocks for driving over curbs, don't overheat in high speed pursuits (desert driving), robust transmission for jamming through the gears at high speed. Fleet maintained and lots of parts around. I think they also often leave the kevlar in the doors so partially bullet proof. Some even have fire suppression systems around the gas tanks. And lots of cargo room in the trunk. Ram bars on the front would be a bonus for animals on the road. Bonus is that everyone around yu will think your a Federale and back off.

DeMinimis - 3-14-2017 at 12:10 PM

Our SO sells decommissioned Vics and Dodges. If you buy one, budget for a new transmission and/or new rear differential. Those things are used and abused. How many times in your regular day do you go from parked to FWO? These cars see that many times most days. They don't sell them just to upgrade to the latest/greatest. They sell them because they are used up. Just something to consider.
Quote: Originally posted by Don Juan de Fuca  
Ola,
Just registered today. I recently returned from Baja and am planning on a driving trip back so I am also considering the most appropriate vehicle. Criteria being good clearance, robust shocks, reliability and inexpensive. All things considered I'm leaning towards a de-commisioned Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor. Great shocks for driving over curbs, don't overheat in high speed pursuits (desert driving), robust transmission for jamming through the gears at high speed. Fleet maintained and lots of parts around. I think they also often leave the kevlar in the doors so partially bullet proof. Some even have fire suppression systems around the gas tanks. And lots of cargo room in the trunk. Ram bars on the front would be a bonus for animals on the road. Bonus is that everyone around yu will think your a Federale and back off.

chuckie - 3-14-2017 at 12:16 PM

Keep the Duck

pappy - 3-16-2017 at 01:02 PM

I would go for an older dodge4x4 with cummins and manual transmission. put a pop-top on it....reliable, economical. put some new shocks, tires and lockers in axles and should be good to go!

Wanderglobe - 3-16-2017 at 02:11 PM

There will only ever be one Baja vehicle for me.

Tomas Tierra - 3-16-2017 at 09:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Wanderglobe  
There will only ever be one Baja vehicle for me.

Just never get farther than that from the highway :cool:

DeMinimis - 3-16-2017 at 09:40 PM

I thing I saw that Bay window down there before. ;-)

bajaric - 3-17-2017 at 08:00 AM

I never really liked diesels. Stinky, noisy things. If someone parks one of them next to me and leaves it running I feel it would be appropriate to stick a large russet potato up the tail pipe.

[Edited on 3-17-2017 by bajaric]

Capturecincoislascalmali.PNG - 141kB

monoloco - 3-17-2017 at 08:59 AM

My 2000 Ford F-350 diesel 4x4 with a 6 speed manual transmission has been pretty much bomb proof for over 10 years of Baja driving. It can haul pretty much anything and it gets 17 MPG at 75MPH.