BajaNomad

Debra Griesemer ~ Travelpearl ~ Vaya con Dios

Paulina - 3-8-2017 at 07:05 AM

Our amiga Debra has passed away. I met her as Travelpearl back in the Amigos de Baja days. She was an independent Baja gal. I was thinking about her last night so I popped over to her fb page to say hello, only to discover she had passed.
Maybe David can post some photos. Vaya con Dios, Deb. You will be missed.
Jan. 31, 1955 ~ Feb. 22, 2017

P>*)))>{

DENNIS - 3-8-2017 at 07:33 AM

Sorry to hear this. She was a joy to bicker with at times.
This gettin' old stuff is not for the faint of heart....in any way. Just the other day, I got a FB notice that it was FDT..Ferna's birthday. Very saddening.

David K - 3-8-2017 at 07:48 AM

As soon as I get home...

It is quite a shock when a friend, about the same age, dies. I hope it was peaceful for her and her children were with her. Her son and she traveled with my kids and I to Las Animas from L.A. Bay in her 4Runner from where she got a home (later) at Camp Gheko.

I met her in 2001 when she joined our group in the Viva Baja 4WD van maiden voyage. She traveled from Washington again to attend BBBB-2 at Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs, and other trips south.

Her handle was originally 'travelpearl', a name that came from a travel agency she worked at. Here on Nomad, her name 'Debra' was her handle.

Debra teaveled with Mike and Mary Ann Humfreville and great stories were told of that adventure. Paulina and Dern met through a Baja Connection from Debra. I think the last time I saw her was for the memorial gathering when Mike Humfreville died, 10 years ago?

Yes, a bit of a shock... Adios Travelpearl!

elgatoloco - 3-8-2017 at 11:23 AM

RIP Debra. Over the years we crossed paths with her a few times here and there. She was always quick with a smile and a hearty laugh no matter how things may have been going.

BajaBlanca - 3-8-2017 at 02:11 PM

RIP

DENNIS - 3-8-2017 at 06:50 PM

bump for Debra

woody with a view - 3-8-2017 at 07:06 PM

:saint:

DianaT - 3-8-2017 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Sorry to hear this. She was a joy to bicker with at times.
This gettin' old stuff is not for the faint of heart....in any way. Just the other day, I got a FB notice that it was FDT..Ferna's birthday. Very saddening.

Yes, it is not for the faint of heart and that notice that it was Ferna's birthday was a difficult one.

I never met Debra in person, but I did have some very interesting, enlightening personal exchanges with her through Nomad personal messages. So sorry to hear of her passing. Too young it seems.

DEP Debra

I Knew Her in the Baja Nomad Internet

GypsyJan - 3-8-2017 at 08:09 PM

Kind of way of being acquainted. She was lively and fun.

I mourn her passing.

Desert Rat - 3-8-2017 at 11:46 PM

Quite a shock to learn that Debra has left us. I have fond memories of her that were created while attending two BBBB events. Debra and another bajanomad, El Camote, were the first people to welcome me into the BBBB group. I certainly appreciated their friendliness and kindness toward me. Rest in peace, Debra.

DENNIS - 3-9-2017 at 09:35 AM

another little bump.........

Martyman - 3-9-2017 at 10:28 AM

Hung out with her at Camp Gecko. Her dog, Cujo tried to grab a skyrocket after I lit it but before it took off!
Sorry to here about her passing. She was fun.

rts551 - 3-9-2017 at 10:58 AM

Met her when we were in Bahia Los Angeles for a race. SHe had an interesting take on some of our Baja characters. 62 years young. Too early to go. RIP.

David K - 3-9-2017 at 12:03 PM

Some photos of Travelpearl/ Debra:

2001 Cielito Lindo (San Quintin) at BBBB-1:

With the Viva Baja Van Tour, on the mission trail to Tinaja de Yubay, always kidding around:

Travelpearl's cell phone is useless in this remote desert. Perhaps the well placed Viva Baja sticker will bring assistance! Very funny Debra!

At Coco's Corner:

Desert Rat, Travelpearl, Sarah, and David Eidell pose with Coco at Coco's Corner.

Travelpearl and Mary Ann Humfrville chat, while the guys figure how to keep P.O.T. (Mike Humfreville's 'Poor Old Truck') from losing any more parts on the rocky road!

2002, Camp Gecko, L.A. Bay area:

Travelpearl (aka Debra) and Paulina ride over to our camp to visit Sarah and me.

Debra (Travelpearl) at Montevideo

Group Photo at Las Hamacas Restaurant

Top Row: Bedman, Baja Nana, David K, Travelpearl, Kathy, Jim, Mary Ann Humfreville
Center: Sarah K, Cody, Katie
Bottom: Emma, Miguelito, Paulina

July 2004, Camp Gecko:

Yvonne, Debra, and David A enjoying the sea view

May 2007, Pyramid Resort Book Signing:

'Debra' (formerly known as 'travelpearl') talking with another guest at the Pyramid Resort.

DENNIS - 3-9-2017 at 02:27 PM

Thanks, David.

fishbuck - 3-9-2017 at 02:39 PM

Sorry to hear of her passing. She certainly was well liked here on Bajanomad.

willardguy - 3-9-2017 at 03:13 PM

she wasn't afraid to speak her mind, even though some magically disappeared.......RIP

CaboMagic - 3-10-2017 at 11:44 AM

oh no:(
So sad to see this .. we too extend our condolences ..
DEP Debra

DENNIS - 3-11-2017 at 08:20 AM

bump

pappy - 3-12-2017 at 12:15 PM

Rip travelpearl

Natalie Ann - 3-12-2017 at 12:34 PM

Saddened by this news.
May she rest in the arms of the goddess.

Nena

Santiago - 3-12-2017 at 07:35 PM

Nena and others: I must say, Deb would be proud, if I can use that phrase, of all the folks who have popped up on this thread who have not been heard from in a long time. As for me, I once traded Deb about 100 tiles for few AA batteries.....not sure she ever used them but I sure did.