BajaNomad

TRIP #3 (MAR 2017) Mexicali-San Felipe; SPM Eastside Canyons; Chapala to San Quintin.

David K - 3-10-2017 at 11:07 AM

EDIT: Report & Photos sized for message boards and no watermarks are here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2017-baja-expedition-3-m...

Thursday March 2, 2017

Bought pesos for the trip at the money exchange in Calexico in the Auto Zone parking lot. The exchange today was 18.80 pesos per dollar. It was 20.20 last month and 20.00 the month before.

Crossed into Mexico at the downtown Mexicali border. Purchased a new 180-day FMM tourist card for 500 pesos. Confirmed with the INM officer that it was good for multiple trips and that it did not need to be returned to INM when leaving Mexico.

Noted mileages and kilometer markers on Hwy. 5 to San Felipe. GPS spotted Pemex stations (outside of the city), campgrounds, and points of interest.

The following are just my notes and not embellished or how they will appear in the final publication.

Km. 0 is at the San Luis Rio Colorado (Hwy. 2) split from Hwy. 5, 4.9 miles from the border. This is where you cross the railroad tracks a final time.
Km. 8 is the Toll Road (2-D) to Tecate exit.
Km. 23 the highway is west from the volcano, Cerro Prieto.
Km. 38 is the Hwy. 4 junction (access to El Golfo de Santa Clara).
Km. 48.5 is the north access to Campo Mosqueda on the Rio Hardy river (3.3 miles)
Km. 49 is a graded, but rough road west over the mountain to Laguna Salada and an abandoned Sulfur Mine (7 mi., take right fork at mi. 3.7).
Km. 53.5 is south access to Campo Mosqueda (1.3 mi.). It passes tow other campos going in.
Km. 55+ Campo El Mayor
Km. 74+ Failed canal from the 1980s made to fill Laguna Salada.
Km. 86.5+ Ejido Saldaña road, right.
Km. 105 La Ventana, store, rest area.
Km. 126 La Fortuna Gold Mine entrance.
Km. 136+ El Chinero, historic hill.
Km. 140.5 Hwy. 3 junction.
Km. 141.5 Military Checkpoint
Km. 160 Begin 4 lane highway.
Km. 171.5 Villas Cortez (2.4 mi.). Palapas, pool, nice looking! But, no in-vehicle camping (RVs or out of your truck). You must unload at a turnaround loading spot, carry your things across the sand 100 feet to a palapa, then park your vehicle even further away, behind a building (out-of-sight).

Three camp signs follow, but are either chained up or are not for camping, just lot leasing: San Marino, Don Abel, Campo Amigos.

Km. 173.5 Playa Grande (1.9 mi.) Palapa camping.

I am running out of daylight, the wind is blowing too hard to have a nice camping night, so I get a room at the Hotel Diamante (Km. 185.5) for 480 pesos. Next time, I will try the Blue Sky... which is just a bit north.

I go into San Felipe, get some fish tacos and Pacificos, and all is good.

Tomorrow, I will cover the San Felipe to Pete's Camp to Playa Grande campos.

Here are the DAY 1 Thursday photos:
I will add captions later and answer any questions.

Sulfur Mine:

Campo Mosqueda:

Playa Grande:

Villas Cortez (as close as you can drive to palapas to unload):

More coming. Stay tuned for Day 2, Friday...

[Edited on 6-5-2021 by David K]

David K - 3-10-2017 at 02:29 PM

Oh, when I am done with this, I will update the Baja Nomad Kilometer Marker thread, too!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 3-10-2017 at 02:55 PM

thanks for the post, great pictures as always and mileage markers.

is this really a trip into the future ? ha-ha just kidding. look at the date..

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Friday March 3, 2017 Day 2 of 7

David K - 3-10-2017 at 03:33 PM

OK, so you may have caught my comment about the Hotel Diamante in that next time I will go to the Blue Sky motel, just north on the same side of the highway.

When I got to the hotel, after dinner, Thursday night... I was the only customer, I think... I asked for a quiet room as I was pretty tired from the day's long drive and research. I got the next to the last room, way down in the far corner of the back building courtyard. Nice! It was a simple room, had Spanish only TV, but the bed was fine.

After I was in bed, a car pulled up (a couple) and went into the room RIGHT next door, the corner room. Then their TV goes on, etc. etc. The whole complex is empty so the lady at the front desk puts client #2 next door.

Wait, it gets better...

About 10 pm (and I want to be asleep), 2 more cars pull up next to my truck, they go upstairs, and in the room right above mine goes a family with small kids who begin to stomp on the floor and run back and forth above my bed! Their friends in the room next door have a baby, which naturally cries. I look around the rest of the hotel rooms and parking and nobody else is there! I get dressed and go up the stairs to where the family inside the room with the doors open sees me and I ask them to please have their toddler stop running back and forth (at 10:30pm) so I can sleep.

Thankfully, they do, and I get to sleep! The logic of the lady to jam all the guests into adjoining rooms and get happy returning customers does escape me!

Next time Blue Sky (if it is too windy to camp)! I later that day, met a couple at breakfast who were staying there, and they seemed to like the Blue Sky.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK Friday Morning... I drive south from the Hotel Diamante to the entrance arch of San Felipe to record all the campos that are actual camping places and other points of interest to travelers:

So you understand my kilometer marker notes:
If the point is right at or within visual sight of a kilometer marker, that will be what is given: Km. 179 (for example).

If it is about 1/4 kilometer after then it will have a + sign added: Km. 180+ (for example).

If it is approx. halfway between two markers, then a .5 is added: Km. 177.5 (for example).

If 3/4 a kilometer after, then a + sign is added after the .5: Km. 181.5+ (for example).

I am not sure if I will amend the notes for the plus sign to maybe .2 and .7 making sure we are all on the same page that this is approx. and could be a couple hundred feet + or - from the exact kilometer point.

ROAD LOG NOTES (going north):
Km. 189.5+ San Felipe Entrance Arches
Km. 184+ Campo El Pescador (entrance closed)
Km. 184 PEMEX (on west side)
Km. 183 Playas del Sol (1.1 mi.) Palapas www.playasdelsol@live.com.mex is posted.
Km. 182 Campo Ocotillos (not camping, lots for lease)
Km. 181.5+ Pai Pai Campo (0.9 mi.) Beach only.
Km. 181 Colonia Morelos (Valle Chico/ Agua Caliente/ Matomí access) Road. San Felipe Storage.
Km. 180+ Campo Los Compadres (0.9 in) Many palapas overlooking beach or arroyo.
Km. 179 Playa del Oro entrance. Road-Runner Restaurant/ Deli. GOOD FOOD! Had a nice breakfast here, many cars in front.
Km. 178.5+ PEMEX STATION (on west side)
Km. 177.5 Pete's Camp El Paraiso (1.0 mi. to restaurant, 1.1 to palapas)
Km. 173.5 Playa Grande (see Day 1 post for details).

From Highway 5, I take the Colonia Morelos Road (at Km. 181):

There are kilometer posts on this road, but don't go the entire distance to Agua Caliente Canyon road.

First, the beach campo photos taken Friday...

Playas del Sol:

Campo Los Compadres:

Pete's Camp El Paraiso:

Colonia Morelia Road: Km. 181

David K - 3-10-2017 at 05:11 PM

This road leaves Mex. 1 about 5 miles north of the San Felipe arches and is the replacement road for what was the new Zoo Road that now passes through the El Dorado Ranch residential zone. That road is at Km. 178.5 and is signed for residential use only.

MILE:
0.0 Highway 1 (Km. 181) Signed: Colonia Morelia 60 km.
4.2 (Km. 7) Junction with Km. 178.5 private road.
5.1 Junction with original Ensenada-San Felipe road (left goes to Km. 189+)
12.5 Cattle Guard
12.8 Major Fork: Right to Diablo Dry Lake/ Left to continue into Valle Chico.
19.5 Unsigned road right (to Rancho El Cajon?).
24.6 Rockpile at road to left.
25.9 Cattle Guard
26.0 (Km. 42) Road right to Arco de Triunfo, rehab facility.
29.6 Cattle Guard
31.5 Junction: Ahead to Rancho Algodon and old Valle Chico road on north. Left to continue south:
36.4 Abandoned Farm Project, on left. (Linda Vista on some maps)
37.2 (km. 60) where Colonia Morelia is supposed to be!
38.2 Cattle Guard
39.4 Enter abandoned farm ejido village (Plan Nacional Agrario/ Agua Caliente).
39.6 Ranch house surrounded by fence and trees. Major fork here. To right side (north side) of ranch, the road goes west to Agua Caliente Canyon. To left, and stay along the east side fence of the ranch on the southbound road to continue south.

A side trip to Agua Caliente Canyon, goes from the ranch, onto a former airstrip for the ejido, enters the canyon at Mile 2.0, passes a metal water tank at mile 2.2, Comes to a gate at Mile 2.4 (petroglyph viewing), and goes to Miles 2.6 mile where the road was washed out. A track has been blazed to the left that does continue but going solo I had to resist trying to get to the hot springs today!

PHOTOS:

Diablo Mountain.

Fork at Mile 12.8

Sign at Mile 26.0

Ditched airport runway Plan Nacional Agrario (Agua Caliente Canyon road)

Water Tank at Mile 2.2, looking east.

Gate at Mile 2.4 on Agua Caliente Road. Petroglyphs are across canyon to the south of here...

SEE THEM?

HOW ABOUT NOW?

MAX ZOOM! :light:

OK, through the gate I go, hoping to get to the hot springs for a soak tonight!

Agua Caliente Canyon stream... near end of road.

Where road used to cross arroyo again.

Looking back at the road, dead end!

South from The Ranch in the former ejido village...

Back at the Ranch (Mile 39.6 from Hwy. 5), reset odometer to 0.0 and head south:

MILE:
1.7 Corner of fenced area, road to left. Continue south.
5.4 FORK. Matomí left, Berrendo straight. Going straight to Cañon Berrendo:
5.5 Rancho Carricitos corral on right. Tracks go west towards Carrizo Canyon. Continue south.
6.9 Track right to Berrendo. Ahead goes to Parral Canyon. Go right.
9.3 End of drive. A fence and cable across the canyon is nearly covered with sand. The canyon just ahead of here is choked with boulders. No need to go further. I hike into the canyon a short distance. Running water and blue palms make this an attractive location. Blue palms also grow high up on the cliff side in the granite boulders.

After my hike, I drove a short distance and make camp on the white sand arroyo. A great location!

PHOTOS:

Cañon el Berrendo

LOOK CLOSELY and see the blue palms way up there!

My camp location Friday night.

I zoom in on the top of the canyon to look at the blue palms...

Campfire time:

Goodnight from a very special (like so many others) Baja place!

SATURDAY, DAY 3, coming up next!

[Edited on 3-12-2017 by David K]

blackwolfmt - 3-10-2017 at 05:28 PM

Nice,, lks really peaceful

David K - 3-10-2017 at 05:37 PM

Map showing Berrendo, Matomí, Azufre Wash routes Day 3 and 4...

Mileages between roads and end of drive points.

blackwolfmt - 3-10-2017 at 06:13 PM

Curios what the Image date is when I look at that area from Goog Earth ??? say San Felipe

PaulW - 3-10-2017 at 06:34 PM

SF date is 5/25/14
Out by the mountains the dates vary. Typical is 11/09/03
Not sure if the dates are correct?

David K - 3-10-2017 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
Curios what the Image date is when I look at that area from Goog Earth ??? say San Felipe

The Image Date is given at the bottom of the screen... San Felipe is in 2014. I see May and September dates just now going around town.

Berrendo Canyon, where I camped was Sept 2009.

Matomi was Dec. 2014... but that area is not clear.

Bing sometimes uses newer images... I will check.

I couldn't find image dates for Bing, Aerial or Bird's Eye (different images).
Their image at Gonzaga Bay is from early 2013, when the bridge by Papa Fernandez' was under construction. Google Earth is newer with the bridge over Arroyo Santa Maria completed (Punta Final road).

[Edited on 3-11-2017 by David K]

PaulW - 3-10-2017 at 06:44 PM

Interesting that the fence is down in Berrenda. Makes it nice to skip the walk to the blue palm side canyon. Agua Caliente remains about the same for several years.
Thanks for the fresh pictures.

blackwolfmt - 3-10-2017 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  

The Image Date is given at the bottom of the screen... San Felipe is in 2014. I see May and September dates just now going around town.

Berrendo Canyon, where I camped was Sept 2009.

Matomi was Dec. 2014... but that area is not clear.

Bing sometimes uses newer images... I will check.

Gracia's Amigos

David K - 3-10-2017 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Interesting that the fence is down in Berrenda. Makes it nice to skip the walk to the blue palm side canyon. Agua Caliente remains about the same for several years.
Thanks for the fresh pictures.

Well, not taken down, just all the sand that flowed out of Berrendo covered it up and or pushed it sideways. It is still topped by a steel cable.

Too bad that amount of sand didn't come down Matomí and cover the boulders in the narrows instead of taking it away from there!

fishbuck - 3-10-2017 at 08:25 PM

So cool...:cool:

Saturday March 4, 2017: TO MATOMI CANYON

David K - 3-11-2017 at 01:28 PM

Matomí is one of those special places in Baja to many.
It is one of the few arroyos that has been used as a travel corridor into the mountains over 30 miles long.

In the 1962 edition of the Lower California Guidebook, it mentions that four-wheel-drive vehicles may follow Arroyo Matomí for a considerable distance. Arnold, owner of the Del Mar Café in San Felipe told my parents about a waterfall fed pool in an oasis at the far end of Arroyo Matomí. That was in 1967... He even drew notes in our Lower California Guidebook to show it.

I was hooked on getting to Matomí since I was 9 years old! I finally did, but not until I had my own 4WD vehicle and was 21 years old (December of 1978), but I could not get to the waterfall as the river (flash flood) was flowing. I returned 6 months later and got there! I have been back to Matomí several more times, but the last was in 2006.

Saturday morning, Cañon El Berrendo, 7:53 am.

I had a great night's sleep and was up to enjoy the silence of the canyon broken only by the sounds of birds beginning their day. Made a fire to sit by while having breakfast. Soon enough, I had camp packed and loaded onto my Tacoma and was driving down the white sand arroyo to my next goal.

It was almost 4 miles to get back to the Valle Chico-Matomí road (by Rancho Carricitos).
Reset odometer to 0.0 at Matomí/Berrendo junction.
Road Mile
2.7 Corner of fenced area, fenceline road goes left (north).
2.8 Fork, the well-worn road goes left (and I assume this to be the Azufre Wash route, so I go right. However, after a mile going south (and a text message from StuckSucks on the inReach satellite device) I turn back and go back to Mile 2.8 and take the left fork.
3.1 Azufre Wash (Cañada el Parral) road, along fence, heads east across the valley. This goes 23 miles to the old Puertecitos road, just south of the Sulfur (Azufre) Mine.
The Matomí bound road now begins over four miserable miles of cross-grain and moguls (whoops) driving.
7.6 Cattle Guard, new fence.
10.8 Top of Matomí Canyon ridge. Road begins steep descent to arroyo floor.
11.1 Arroyo Matomí. Main traffic went left 29 miles to Hwy. 5 (but blocked to most vehicles in only 2.8 miles, now). Rancho Matomí (and the waterfall) is 5 miles to the right... very difficult driving and has not been used recently.

PHOTOS:

Bye bye Berrendo!

Top of Matomí Canyon entrance grade/ south end of Valle Chico.

First Matomí palm.

Abandoned (or unoccupied) Rancho Matomí.
The oasis waterfall fed pool is down a path from east of the house.

From above.

The arroyo west from the waterfall.

Looking into the ranch house:

Time to leave, 11:41 am.

Where a flash flood almost took my Subaru in 1978!

The goal for me was to go see the natural arch, 9 miles on a side wash south from Arroyo Matomí, and eventually be on the Puertecitos highway.

The first narrow pass heading east.

When vehicle tracks end and only motorcycle tracks are seen, I begin to get concerned, but remain hopeful!

DAMN!

I walk ahead to see if there is any chance if I make a ramp to clear the first block, to have a clear path...

Looking back to where I parked, I head to the Matomí Squeeze (narrows).

It doesn't get better.

The sand level at the squeeze is also a few feet lower than my last time driving through here, making the gap narrower.

Looking back to the rock garden from the east side of the squeeze.

BUMMER!

I drive back to the steep grade out of the canyon to Valle Chico...

This is pretty steep with a ledge. Lockers or traction control here to prevent tire spin and further road damage.

My revised goal is now to use Cañada el Parral (Azufre Wash/ Crazy Horse Canyon) to cross over to the Puertecitos road. I will revisit the sulfur mine, as well.

STAY TUNED! More coming...

Saturday: Matomí to Azufre Wash

David K - 3-11-2017 at 03:34 PM

Here's Mount Diablo (Baja's highest mountain, 10, 154') from the south end of Valle Chico.

So, those 4 miles of moguls are seriously annoying... but without an exit through the Matomí narrows, I have no other choice.

8 miles from Arroyo Matomí I arrive at the cross-valley fence line which is the route into Cañada el Parral (what SCORE calls Azufre Wash and Bruce Barber calls Crazy Horse Canyon, in his book "Of Sea and Sand").

Looking East

It is over 4 miles to the other side of the valley.

Looking back west.

Some nice cardón catus trees in the pass.

The high point of the pass through the hills is 6 miles from the Matomí road, elevation 2,270'. The pass or canyon is a very gentle drop from Valle Chico to the Sulfur Mine area.

A cardón after it dies.

Neat geology!

While there are some moguls near the west end of Azufre Wash, it is mostly easy driving.

I make camp at Mile 15.0 from the Matomí road.

The evening is warmer than it was at Berrendo, as I am closer to the sea and lower in elevation. There are a few mosquitos at sundown. I have Deet!

This is my 3rd night away from home and second-night tent camping. I enjoy texting with my wife and with a few Nomad friends as I have a nice campfire. An old pallet was nearby, and that helped me pick this spot.

So, it was windy anytime I was not in a narrow part of the canyon, and the desert was in bloom... I am getting a case of allergy or a cold. Both act the same on me. I send an email to Baja Cactus Motel and Antonio answers, he will be there the next night. Great, I want to bring him up to speed on this new Baja Bound project, give him a couple more books he can sell to raise money for his emergency rescue service https://www.facebook.com/HalconesdelDesierto and have a comfortable place to sleep and have hot showers.

Good Night from Azufre Wash!

Sunday March 5, 2017 Sulfur Mine, La Poma Lunch, and on to Hwy. 1.

David K - 3-11-2017 at 05:53 PM

I was packed up and rolling at 8:43 am.

Soon, I came to the folding rock layers I have photographed since my first time through Cañada el Parral (1978).

GeoRock explains on our 2004 Matomí tour.

Jim Todd, a traveling friend. 1978

The desert is in color.

Just when I thought I was home free...

There was no way around the tree, in the road. Quad tracks on the other side made a U-turn. It had to be dealt with!

Done!

I reach the old Puertecitos road 23.3 miles from the Valle Chico-Matomí road and turn left (north) to visit the Sulfur Mine. A major landmark before the newer road was built in 1982, that stayed closer to the coast.

From the Azufre Wash junction, going north:
Mile 1.3 cross old airstrip runway and later road to Campo La Roca (joins Nuevo Mazatlan road in a mile)
Mile 1.7 Nuevo Mazatlan road (4 miles to Hwy. 5 at almost Km. 32)
Mile 1.9 Sulfur Mine area... about a half mile all around from here was mined for sulfur.

Sulfur was mined here to the 1950s. Before 1956, the sulfur mine and Agua de Chale (Nuevo Mazatlan now) was the end of the automobile road from San Felipe.

Sulfur is used to make gunpowder, matches, fertilizer, and is a rock that burns when ignited with a match and emits a deadly gas. So no campfires here!

From the sulfur mine, take the road east towards Nuevo Mazatlán (Km. 32).

When I reach the highway near Km. 32, I bring my tires back up to 34 psi from 24 psi, which worked great at off-road traction and rock-puncture resistance.

I was under a half tank of fuel and debated to drive the 25 miles north to San Felipe or take a chance on the Pemex being open in Puertecitos or Gonzaga. In Baja, everything works out, so I turned south.

At Colonia Delicias market (Km. 36) I got some bags of ice a few cans of beer.

At Puertecitos (turn off the highway at the paved fork, at Km. 74.5) I got gasoline. The attendant says they are open every day to 8 pm. It was 700 pesos for 43.4 liters. I had traveled 156 miles since filling up in San Felipe, with most of that off road driving, maybe 50 miles in 4WD.

Leaving the gas station via the old road I took this photo of Puertecitos (at low tide):

The paved road is rejoined at Km. 76.5+, at the Pez (Fish) Market.

Km. 133.5 is the road to La Poma, restaurant, camping palapas, lots for lease. Camping is $10 US and the owner will add the tarp to the frame when you arrive. Good idea to preserve the life of the tarps.

My lunch was great... halibut! With beer + tip, 300 pesos

I was at La Poma from 11:30-12:37 Sunday. The only customer.
The owner is the brother of the owner of Punta Bufeo, which has a small motel and landing strip for pilots... 2 kilometers south. They are related to Papa Fernandez, as well.

From here I drive south to Hwy. 1 then north to El Rosario and a bit of heaven at Baja Cactus Motel. Details in my next installment... Stay tuned!

[Edited on 3-12-2017 by David K]

TMW - 3-11-2017 at 08:56 PM

Things just get better and better, thanks.

David K - 3-11-2017 at 11:05 PM

I hope to keep showing how so many places there are in Baja that are well worth visiting.
More notes and photos still to come!

wessongroup - 3-11-2017 at 11:16 PM

:):)

Barry A. - 3-12-2017 at 10:31 AM

Very good stuff, David. I camped at the exact same spot as you in Barrendo Canyon many, many years ago before there was any fence or cable across the wash. My first trip into Barrendo Canyon was about 1961+ - with my wife and daughter, and Edward "Bud" Bernhard, Myron Smith, as well as other's. It is an enchanting place that I have returned too many times. You are doing good work, and the results are great!!! Many thanks.

[Edited on 3-12-2017 by Barry A.]

Sunday Afternoon: Gonzaga to El Rosario

David K - 3-12-2017 at 10:35 AM

Just like last month, last year, all of 2015, and back to January 2014, the paved road driving still ends 20.5 kilometers (12.7 miles) south of the Gonzaga Pemex and that is about 10 miles (10.2) north of Coco's Corner and another 12.9 miles to Hwy. 1 for 23 total unpaved miles.

The unpaved condition was improved over February in that the rocky 4 miles just south of Coco's had been scraped over by a grader. It was just less than an hour from Gonzaga Bay to Highway 1 (Laguna Chapala) in my Tacoma.

Highway 1 from Chapala to Cataviña/ Santa Ynez has a lot of potholes to dodge currently. One road crew was a couple miles south of Santa Ynez shoveling black top into the holes. Without a roller, this will be a short-lived solution.

I take a photo of El Pedregoso, the boulder mountain midway between Chapala and Cataviña. It is passed at Km. 210.

At Km. 191.5, and across the highway from the new San Ignacito restaurant, is the monument to the meeting of construction crews, in September 1973, building the transpeninsular highway. Crews going south from San Quintin and crews coming north from San Ignacio met at this point. The official plaque that was on this concrete monument was stolen some time ago. The memory is preserved by this sign the new restaurant owner made, he only got the year of the plaque dedication wrong.

The original plaque of Oct. 17, 1973:

It's 32 miles from Laguna Chapala (Km. 233+) to the side road for Rancho Santa Ynez/Inez/Inés just after Km. 181. It is 0.7 mi. to the campground and ranch/ restaurant of Santa Inez/Ynez/Inés (spelling depends on what sign you read). The road to the ranch was paved in 1973 as was the airport runway here. The driveway is lined with white painted rocks. Wide open camping is popular here and Matilda's cooking was always a treat at the restaurant. The pavement is mostly gone now. Santa Ynez was a major checkpoint of the first several Baja off-road races (1967-1973) and occasionally of some of the newer ones when the course runs this way.

The place (Ranch, Restaurant, Bunk rooms) looked all closed up. A couple was walking from their camper towards the restaurant when I asked them if it was ever open while they were there. They said it was always open and good... to which I had to say it was closed now.

Back out to Highway 1...
The south arroyo crossing is being worked on, and was dry this day.

Enter Cataviña, a town that didn't exist before 1974. Here, a hotel (now called the Misión Cataviña) and a 'parador' (across the highway) was built to service the needs of highway travelers were nothing much existed before. A Pemex station, cafeteria, showers, sunken room air conditioned rest area and an RV Park nearby were all part of the parador complex. Other than the hotel, all the rest of it has been abandoned.

At Km. 179+, a local began to bring cans of gasoline from El Rosario to sell here, and that continues to this day. The cost currently is US$5 per gallon. That $1.75 additional price over Pemex's price covers the businessman's time and effort to make a 150-mile round-trip to bring gasoline to this spot.

At Km. 179 is the Cabañas Linda motel. Reviews in years past have not been kind.

Leave Cataviña, northbound.

The north Arroyo crossing near Km. 176.5 (also being rebuilt due to past flooding).

Km. 176 is the parking area for the painted cave site (which is on top of a boulder hill, requiring a bit of a climb.

More to come!...

[Edited on 3-14-2019 by David K]

bkbend - 3-12-2017 at 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the updates. I wandered around that sulfur mine many years ago with my kids and soon after I returned home I had to fly on business. I happened to wear the same shoes to the airport that I wore at the mine and at security they sent my shoes through a second scanner picking up some sulfur residue. I had some explaining to do but it was a small town airport and I knew one of the security guards and one of the TSA workers so I was able to get my shoes back without too much delay.

David K - 3-12-2017 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
Thanks for all the updates. I wandered around that sulfur mine many years ago with my kids and soon after I returned home I had to fly on business. I happened to wear the same shoes to the airport that I wore at the mine and at security they sent my shoes through a second scanner picking up some sulfur residue. I had some explaining to do but it was a small town airport and I knew one of the security guards and one of the TSA workers so I was able to get my shoes back without too much delay.

That's a GREAT story!

David K - 3-12-2017 at 05:41 PM

Here are some of my road notes I scratched down driving north from Cataviña.

Km. 168 Faro San José road (signed to Rancho El Marmolito 38 km.).
Km. 166.5 New La Virgen shrine
Km. 160.5+ New Agua Dulce access
Km. 158 Water truck access road from 1973 highway construction to Agua Dulce.
Km. 149+ Rancho Sonora, onyx gifts
Km. 149 El Marmól road (15 km.)
Km. 145 San Agustín (abandoned Pemex station, military checkpoint [not today], abandoned highway maintenance facility, RV park).
Km. 121+ El Progreso, an abandoned café at the road to Mission San Fernando (2.5 mi.)

I arrive in El Rosario, about 4:30, I think. I check in at Baja Cactus Motel (next to the Pemex station, Km. 57+). Antonio (the owner of the motel and Pemex station, and founder of the emergency rescue service in El Rosario) has not arrived from Tijuana as of yet. The newer deluxe rooms are taken, but the recently remodeled economy rooms are available. The beds are comfortable and all is good.

My super halibut fish meal at La Poma, a few hours ago, is still fresh in my mind and I can skip dinner this night... a few crackers and beer is enough. Antonio's cable TV has English channels.

Sunday is in the books! Tomorrow, I will explore around El Rosario, make notes of the restaurants, motels, stores, etc. I will also go to the beach and look for petrified wood in the hills where a dinosaur skeleton was discovered and transplanted to the San Diego Natural History Museum, back in the 60's.

Stay tuned for lot's more on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday!

[Edited on 3-13-2017 by David K]

DAY 5: March 6, 2017 Monday EL ROSARIO, a settlement older than the United States!

David K - 3-13-2017 at 08:56 AM

First off, I top my gas tank, which is just below half full. The price for Magna at Baja Cactus Pemex is 16.09 pesos/liter ($3.24/gallon @ 18.80 pesos: dollar).
My fuel mileage from Puertecitos (192 miles) is 17 mpg.

This morning, I record motels, markets and restaurants along Hwy. 1 going through El Rosario. There are more, actually, there are so many. Not all are open in the morning. Going southbound through El Rosario:

Km. 56.5+ Wence Market
Km. 57 Car Wash El Popeye
Km. 57+ PEMEX
Km. 57+ Baja Cactus Motel
Km. 57+ Las Cabañas Motel
Km. 57+ Mama Espinoza's Restaurant
Km. 57.5 Highway turns left. To the right is the road to El Rosario de Abajo (1802 mission location) and on to the coast.
Km. 57.5+ Oxxo Market, El Grullense Restaurant/Pizza
Km. 58 Mi Casita Restaurant, Town Plaza, Police Station
Km. 58.5 Mi Pueblito Restaurant
Km. 58.5 Concrete street left to Mission El Rosario, 1774.
Km. 58.5 Taqueria El Rosario (Tacos)
Km. 58.5+ Restaurant Sinahi, Motel Sinahi, RV Park Sinahi
Km. 59 Loncheria El Faro
Km. 59.5 Restaurant La Pasadita
Km. 60.5 Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast/ Restaurant
Km. 60.5 Turista Motel, Valentino's Restaurant

I have breakfast at Baja's Best, owned by Ed Lusk. He has the best quality chorizo for breakfast burritos.

PHOTOS:

The first Dominican Baja California Mission, founded on July 24, 1774:

El Camino Real, the first "highway" through California (Baja and Alta).

The Rosario mission was a large complex of buildings. The site is made into a park with walkways, signs (in Spanish) explaining each area, and a view of the large valley. In 1802, the spring located in the gully here suddenly dried up and forced the padres to relocate the mission about 2 miles to the west, and closer to the river.

Just west (northbound) of the mission street, is Km. 58 at this restaurant and a tire repair next door.

More to come...

[Edited on 3-14-2019 by David K]

El Rosario de Abajo, La Bocana Beach, Petrified Forest

David K - 3-13-2017 at 03:07 PM

Next, I am off to investigate is the old town of El Rosario de Abajo (Lower El Rosario). This is where the mission moved in 1802 and the post-mission town was primarily located. With the coming of automobiles, a second Rosario developed along the route that in 1973 would become a paved highway. The newer town was called El Rosario de Arriba (Upper El Rosario) to distinguish it from the older town, across the river and 2 miles west.

Set odometer to 0.0 at the sharp curve in Hwy. 1, across from Mama Espinoza' Restaurant and drive west.
In a couple hundred feet the street to the left was the main road to Abajo, but traffic has mainly gone to a new crossing ahead.
0.4 End of paved (concrete) road surface.
0.8 Fork. Right to Las Palapas recreation area, 0.6 mi. The road beyond once went to Diamante Del Mar project. Road now badly damaged by rains. Go left.
1.2 Junction in the middle of the river valley. Left is route back to Hwy. 1. Ahead to continue on.
1.9 ADB Market, center of town of El Rosario de Abajo.
2.0 Mission Ruins, on the right. Park setting, signs. Mission moved to this spot in 1802.
2.9 Fork. Left goes south to Agua Blanca, San Antonio, San Carlos. Go right.
3.3 Junction. Left goes to Punta Baja (7 miles). Go straight ahead.
5.3 Parking for beach of La Bocana.
A drive north then turning into the hills goes 2.3 miles to the edge of a small canyon. A hike into the canyon will take you through a prehistoric forest (using your imagination). Petrified wood is scattered about. Look but do not remove.

I drive back into town on the former Diamante Del Mar high road, but it is not maintained and large gullies in the road make travel a challenge. 4WD and large tires only. La Palapas is passed returning to town.

Photos:

El Rosario de Abajo ruins as seen from the road.

La Bocana Beach

Just over 2 miles north from the beach are the canyons that cut through a former forest, whose trees have turned to stone.

A Mexican coin added for scale.

Returning back to Baja Cactus Motel, I find Antonio. He is a busy man having been part of an emergency rescue after midnight (an off-road motorcycle tour member hurt), as well as his two businesses in town.

We get together for dinner that evening at La Pasadita with Isela and daughter Itzel, who is doing fine and growing fast since her heart surgery of 2010: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48946

After dinner, we stopped at the Hot Dog stand (very busy place) between the La Pasadita and Sinahi restaurants. There Isela asked for several cups to go, of a hot Mexican dessert drink, that is similar in concept to hot chocolate, thick and hot. It is called Champurrado and was quite good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champurrado

Monday is now in the bucket! Two more days in Baja...

StuckSucks - 3-13-2017 at 07:48 PM

Excellent photos as always. After following the tracker, it's fun to see Terra-based photos to connect the dots.

David K - 3-14-2017 at 11:12 AM

10-4!
I am glad to have my Nomad friends out there following me and chatting as I am by the campfire or in my tent... via satellite!

I will work on Day 6 and 7 to wrap up the trip report... Day 6, I go to a hidden camping establishment in a cardón forest and to see what remains at San Juan de Dios.

DAY 6: Tuesday Mar. 7, 2017 RANCHO EL SAUCE

David K - 3-14-2017 at 04:32 PM

To have some interesting side trips for the new map-guide, I asked Antonio about a place I had heard Doug and family talk about and show photos of back in November 2006: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=21098

I had wondered about this 'recreation' place, and with some rough directions and only the name of the owner to use as a name (Señor Alcides and daughter Clarissa), off I went...

Km. 82+ (15.5 miles southbound from El Rosario Pemex) turn right on unmarked road. Just a mile from the highway, I stopped to well, stretch my legs, and I saw dust and a truck racing towards me. I just waited until it arrived. It was a cammo painted army pickup with four machine gun toting soldiers in back. It pulled up along side and infront partially to block me from making a run for it! Once they were satisfied I wasn't waiting for a drug plane to land, they turned around and headed back to the highway.

1.7 mi from highway you merge with a parallel route and soon go downhill from the side of Mesa la Sepultrura and into Arroyo El Sauce where you curve left, upstream. This is the route of El Camino Real between Mission San Fernando and El Rosario.
5.7 mi from Hwy. 1 arrive at the palapas and a pool is to the left (empty).
6.3 mi from Hwy. 1 arrive at Rancho El Sauce. Cabins rent for 300 pesos (bring bedding) and palapas are free off season. Perhaps 100-200 pesos during busy times?

Two caretakers gladly show me the rooms, the other pools and were happy to have me tell my American amigos to come here to camp.
This is truly one of those Baja suprises...

The desert is green and flowers were blooming along Hwy. 1.

A interesting boojum tree along the road to El Sauce. See Doug's photo of it, over 10 years ago.

In 2006, we can see how 10 years has changed other boojums, as well.

Entering Rancho El Sauce

Camping palapas

The spring provides excellent water, I am told.

The kitchen.

Path to the cabins

Solar electricty, hot water, and solitude from the rest of the world. Need a place to hide out?

Next: San Juan de Dios...

norte - 3-14-2017 at 04:46 PM

The spring provides excellent water, I am told.

The water in those pools looks pretty gross.

[Edited on 3-22-2017 by BajaNomad]

David K - 3-14-2017 at 04:57 PM

Map of my El Rosario area side trips
1) Park here (truck) is where I hike to the petrified forest
2) El Sauce (house) is the palapa and cabin recreation site.
3) San Juan de Dios (X) is the mission-era ruin.
4) Arenoso runway is the former strip behind the Sacrificio Restaurant/ Rancho Los Martires road (San Juan de Dios road) Km. 103+

[Edited on 3-15-2017 by David K]

David K - 3-14-2017 at 05:06 PM

Norte, the water was clear, but the green slime on the floor would likely be due to lack of chlorine? They also had 5 straight days of rain recently, so who knows if that is mostly rain or spring water?

To San Juan de Dios

David K - 3-14-2017 at 05:17 PM

Here is the GPS map with track lines to get an idea of the route the road uses from Km. 103 on Hwy. 1 (ex-El Arenoso Runway), past the El Sauzalito copper mine town (now a new ranch) and on.

The red dots are true locations, the red lines are connecting the dots, but do not follow over the actual road, always.

aguachico - 3-14-2017 at 05:54 PM

Beautiful.

The logic behind piling guests in the same area, something I have experienced, is to make it easier to clean the rooms.

The power of a $50 peso note and requesting not to put other people may or may not work.. Has for me.

I have had to confront groups of teens at hotels. Once in GN and the other in valle Lupe. The great thing about Mexican people is how understanding they are to their elder's need to peace and quiet. Parties are for noise)just join the party), but both times when I asked the groups to be respectful of those trying to sleep, they immediately apologized and lowered the noise.

wessongroup - 3-14-2017 at 06:19 PM

Enjoying the ride .... And those blue, blue sky's are just great :):)

Km. 103 to San Juan de Dios, 22 miles.

David K - 3-14-2017 at 06:55 PM

Back out to Highway 1 at Km. 82+ I turn right (southbound) for my next excursion... to see what happened at San Juan de Dios.

Just 500 feet past the Km. 103 marker is the trucker restaurant El Sacrificio (at the signed road for Los Martires), on the left. Turn in here and go uphill past the restaurant. To the right was an airport runway used during the construction of Hwy. 1 in 1973... named El Arenoso, after the old ranch a few more miles down the road.

Set odometer to 0.0 at Hwy. 1 and the El Sacrificio (Martires turnoff) restaurant.

2.4 Fork, go left.
3.5 El Sauzalito Copper Mine. New Ranch built upon old town site.
4.8 Arroyo San Juan de Dios crossing (dry this time)
5.1 Fork: left to El Rosario via La Vibora, go right.
5.3 Fork: left to Los Martires and beyond, go right.
8.6 Fork, go right.
10.5 Road left to ranch.
10.7 Road in from left to ranch.
13.2 Pila (water tank) 'San Sebastian'
15.5 Fork, go left (gate on right fork).
16.9 Fork: left to El Sauce de Carter, go right.
20.1 Gate, close behind you.
21.5 Gate 'Rancho Las Palmas', close behind you.
21.7 Cross Arroyo San Juan de Dios. Rancho Las Palmas on left. Park on right across from water tank to visit ruins.

Cerro Matomí (the waterfall I was at three days ago is just the other side!)

Rancho Las Palmas at San Juan de Dios, from arroyo crossing.

Ruins unearthed with ranch behind.

Looking north from ruins to my truck and water tank along road.

BEFORE:

Jack Swords photo of 2003.

AFTER:

Looking south from the ruins. Rancher told me there is a mission period wall in the cardón cactus area. 2017

Rancho Las Palmas.
The resident there (Alfonso Duerte Espinoza) told me it was Sony Espinoza who bladed over the mission visita ruins in 2006. It was a very sad incident indeed. No reason for the destruction. Nothing has been done on the land since no crops planted. On smal part of a covered-over room has been opened back up.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

David K - 3-14-2017 at 07:10 PM

Returning to El Rosario, I was enjoying the boojum trees and cardón cacti...

StuckSucks sent me the sundown time for my location, and I think this is the photo I took just then.

There's the screensaver shot!

Goodnight from Planet Baja!

One Day Remains!

David K - 3-15-2017 at 08:00 AM

The cactus garden along the San Juan de Dios road is one of Baja's best!

The final Day trip home report is next, with a couple side trips included...

David K - 3-15-2017 at 06:01 PM

OK, had an irrigation job today, so I will wrap this up with the last day DAY 7 photos and report, very soon!

San Quintin, Santo Tomás, Maneadero, and Tecate for the win!

blackwolfmt - 3-15-2017 at 06:09 PM

That friggen Cardon cacti is huge, grt pic DK

DAY 7 of 7: Wed. March 8, 2017

David K - 3-15-2017 at 10:44 PM

It was just a week ago, but so many memories and these trip reports and photos preserve and share them.

I had a nice dinner with Antonio and Isela. We went to Ed's (Baja's Best B & B) to have some of his clam chowder, which is more shrimp than clams, all the better. Back at Baja Cactus for a final night in El Rosario to sleep before the long drive home.

Wednesday morning, quickly loaded my truck drove next door to top the tank and then, the other side of the gas station past the water purification place is El Popeye Car Wash. My truck had plenty of mud on it from the drive to San Juan de Dios. The arroyo crossings were dry but several deep water pools on the road could not be avoided. I asked for only an exterior wash and they soon put me into the stall and got to work on it. The charge was so low (80 pesos) I gave them a generous tip in appreciation for getting on the road quickly. Left El Rosario at 9:12 am.

Car Wash 'El Popeye' at Km. 57, just a few hunderd feet north of the Pemex.

Now, with the outside so clean, I just didn't have it in me to get it covered with that dust on the road to La Lobera (Km. 47.5), so I passed by. I was there last September.

I will include some of my kilometer notes.

Km. 25.5 Playa El Socorro
Km. 16.5 Fidel's El Pabellon (1.3 mi. in.

Nice place, next to a huge, flat beach.

Km. 16 El Pabellon (1.2 mi. in) 150 pesos per night. A HUGE caravan of RVs is all lined up and just pulling out. They are northbound and no way do I want to be caught behind a half mile long caravan! Before I get a photo taken of the place, I U-turn and get out just ahead of the lead RV.

Km. 17 Pemex station (Nueva Odisea)
Km. 14.5 Highway Fork (northbound), ahead is older route via Santa María.
Km. 11 Paved side road to Hotels Misión Santa María and Cielito Lindo. Pemex station 'Los Pinos'.

Km. 5 Fork (southbound), straight south for older route, new route curves.
Old English Cemetery is west of here.
Km. 4 Pemex
Km. 1.5 Los Olivos RV Park road west
Km. 1 Paved road west to Jardines road, Old Mill hotel, San Quintin bay shore.
Km. 0/ Km. 196 (from Ensenada). Point of newest section of Highway 1 (1973) south of here as highway narrows to 19 ft. to fit the construction budget.
Km. 169+ Mission Santo Domingo road (5 miles)
Km. 140.5 Paved road 62 miles to obsrvatorty (at 9,280').
Km. 105 new Pemex.
Km. 102.5 Road to Valle de Trinidad
Km. 90 Pemex, San Vicente
Km. 88.5 Road west to Mission San Vicente
Km. 79 Paved road west to Ejido Erendira
A road widening construction detour is 1.3 miles long.
Km. 50 Santo Tomás, Pemex, El Palomar RV Park (steep driveway).

The RV park is huge and empty. The owner tells me the hew highway crews will be making an improved entrance as widening made the driveway so steep, motorhomes are fearful to enter.

The remains of the final California mission to stay in operation are just outside the park and accessed by driving right through (turn left at the bus). This was the third location of the Santa Tomás mission, moved here in 1799 and operated until 1849. I go into lot's of detail in my book, 'Baja California Land of Missions' www.oldmissions.com

View north

View south to the campground/ RV park.

2005 (weed free)

Km. 47 La Bocana and Puerto Santo Tomás road west.
Km. 41.5 Paved road east to Ejido Uruapan (hot springs).
Km. 40.5 La Grulla Market
Km. 37.5 Military Checkpoint

In Maneadero, I stop for lunch and have a bowl of Birria (60 pesos).

Takes a half hour just to get across Ensenada...

The highway to Tecate is excellent.
Km. 75.5 Pemex and Paved road into Guadalupe (Francisco Zarco) and the ruins of the last California mission to be founded (1834-1840): Guadalupe.

I have lots of pesos still, and fill my gas tank in Tecate. It is 16.10 pesos per liter for Magna ($3.25/ gallon at 18.80:1). I get 17.7 mpg from El Rosario to here (223 miles).

I get to the border line at 3:40 pm and am inside the U.S. at 3:59.
With traffic, I am home by at 6 pm. 1,064 miles since I left.

I will be ready to go back in about a month. Can't wait!!! VIVA BAJA!!!

JohnK - 3-16-2017 at 07:22 AM

Wow. Thank you David K!

David K - 3-16-2017 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JohnK  
Wow. Thank you David K!

You are quite welcome!
Drive Baja!

kevin_in_idaho - 3-18-2017 at 05:26 AM

Awesome. I love the old pictures and the new pictures of the same locations to see how (or not) the places have changed.

Thanks again for this and all the help you gave me last month!

Mexitron - 3-18-2017 at 10:16 AM

Yer killin' me David! Awesome....must get back.......

David K - 3-18-2017 at 10:34 AM

It's a long drive from Texas! But, half of Canada was down there in January and February!

When I was in Berrendo Canyon, I thought of you and your friends, meeting your group at the Parral gate in 2004. I emailed with Barry A, from my camp in Berrendo, as it is one of his favorites, too. Bud and Myron camped with Barry there. Enjoy Baja as much as you can because life is not forever!

David K - 3-18-2017 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  
Awesome. I love the old pictures and the new pictures of the same locations to see how (or not) the places have changed.

Thanks again for this and all the help you gave me last month!

The pleasure was mine. Baja is the gift, I am just a reporter!

The old and new side by side photos have been so eye opening. Now, we also find cardón and boojum tree photos taken years apart interesting.

I have more stories from my February trip I thought of, not in the report...

Rifles in Baja Sur!
Driving east from La Purísima maybe 12 miles from Hwy 1, a lone walker with a rifle. I stopped and offered him a bottle of water, he gladly accepted. I asked if the .22 was for rabbits and he said it was for pumas (mountain lions). Walking makes humans a target for lunch!

A couple hours later, maybe 9 miles away when I was walking back from Comondú Viejo, two rifle carrying cowbows were walking towards me. While this probably would scare some of you, I simply told them I was photographing the mission ruins. Fear of lion attack runs high. I guess I was living on the edge today in Baja!

BornFisher - 3-18-2017 at 11:04 AM

Great report! Enjoyed the read! Those caravans can sure cause chaos on the road and at gas stations!!

David K - 3-18-2017 at 01:23 PM

Yes, I did not want to be behind a half mile long caravan. It was great to see however because it means people are not fearing Mexico, at least not with the security of traveling with a mob!

I look forward to leading small caravans of 4WD camping folks or a passenger ride-a-long for a custom Baja trip. The Baja Extreme 2016 was terrific.

My next expedition (#4) will either be in Sur or norte, weather depending. Beaches, missions, scenic locations, points of interest and places to overnight are what I am collecting data on.

Mexitron - 3-18-2017 at 01:46 PM

The Pumas seem to more hostile to humans in Baja Sur, rather than the north, at least from the stories over the years. That said Myron smith told of rounding a bend somewhere in the Seven Sisters area and coming upon a Puma trying to attack a calf. The mother cow was doing pretty well at protecting it and when the cat saw Myron he growled at him, then growled at the cow, then took off, peeed!

David K - 3-19-2017 at 10:54 AM

Nice story. I am sorry I never met Myron or Bud. It is fun to read about them, however.
Do you have Froy Tiscareño's book, 'Baja California Adventures'?

wessongroup - 3-20-2017 at 08:05 AM

That was fun ... thanks enjoyed the "ride" :):)

David K - 4-29-2017 at 10:07 AM

A great pleasure on my end to do this research and I hope you like what is produced from it.

What makes this Baja Bound project really unique over past guidebooks is that it is 'living' so that changes, corrections, additions can be made at any time. All of you can provide input... at least that's what I see as an advantage. If you think a Baja site is worthy of inclusion, let me know, if I missed it.

There is just SO MUCH BAJA that it is not even possible to get all of it into a guide. I am always amazed at what Howard Gulick achieved in the 1950s with his Lower California Guidebook. How he could take so much time off work (he was an engineer fro the City of Glendale) and map all the roads, and they were almost all dirt roads down the peninsula, then. Peter Gerhard was his co-author, but more for the historic data than maps and road logs.

I have a lot of data to download, and then formatting it will be work.

Keep on loving Baja!

[Edited on 4-30-2017 by David K]

JohnK - 4-29-2017 at 08:53 PM

If anybody can do it, it's you David. Hope you fel better soon.

David K - 4-30-2017 at 12:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JohnK  
If anybody can do it, it's you David. Hope you fel better soon.

Thank you John, I do... or I did, should I say. That post was from a month ago, got bumped to here but the date wasn't changed with the move. The hernia surgery went perfectly. I once again have an innie belly button, lol.!

Now I have a lot of data to type up for the guide and map. By my posting a rough draft of it here on Nomad, it helps me see how it reads, if it looks right, and how much drama it causes.

Have you enjoyed the April trip so far (#4)?

JohnK - 4-30-2017 at 09:20 PM

Oh yeah. Dude, I live vicariously through you....

David K - 5-1-2017 at 02:32 AM

It's the last name with a K that does it! ;)

YOU SHOULD COME DOWN WITH ME ON ONE OF THESE EXPEDITIONS? You have to be like in go go go mode to get as many miles in as possible. Follow in your rig (it better be a Toyota or not break) or maybe ride in mine, if the seat is open for a fair ride share fee. NON SMOKERS ONLY.

I have XM satellite radio so Fox News is available, lol. Nice tunes to jamming rock and reggae to mellow out. I can email or text anywhere and family at home can follow us on a near-live track when we are moving, updated every 10 min. My smartphone has the live topo map of our location so no mystery to where we are. Just be self contained for camping and a few hotel stays, maybe 2-3 on a trip to clean up or because we are in a city.

Future trips, if the project continues:
*Loreto to Cabo and both coasts.
*Ensenada to San Quintin and the San Pedro Martir.
*Sierra Juarez incl.Hwy. 2 and Hwy. 3.
*Vizcaino Peninsula (Abreojos to Tortugas, Malarrimo, San Francisco de la Sierra), maybe down to San Juanico on the north road?

David K - 9-10-2017 at 07:42 AM

2017 Baja Bound Road Guide & Map Research Trips

TRIP #1 (San Felipe to Punta San Francisquito via L.A. Bay): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85374
TRIP #2 (San Ignacio to Loreto, Ligüí, San Javier, Comondú, La Purísima): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85756
TRIP #3 (Mexicali to San Felipe, Valle Chico, Matomí, Parral, + El Rosario area): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85989
TRIP #4 (Valle de Trinidad crossover, San Quintin to Laguna Manuela and 7 Sisters coast road): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86376
TRIP #5 (Central Baja: El Arco, El Barril, San Francisco de la Sierra, Abreojos, Asuncion, Tortugas, Eugenia, Pronghorn Reserve): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86781
TRIP #6 (Southernmost Baja: San Ignacio to San Juanico, Loreto to Cabo San Lucas, San Evaristo, and more): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87323
TRIP #7 (Pacific North, San Pedro Mártir Mountains: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87976

[Edited on 4-8-2018 by David K]

WideAngleWandering - 1-7-2018 at 06:56 PM

A side trip to Agua Caliente Canyon, goes from the ranch, onto a former airstrip for the ejido, enters the canyon at Mile 2.0, passes a metal water tank at mile 2.2, Comes to a gate at Mile 2.4 (petroglyph viewing), and goes to Miles 2.6 mile where the road was washed out. A track has been blazed to the left that does continue but going solo I had to resist trying to get to the hot springs today!

Is this the right canyon? 30.658512, -115.162855

I've driven around out there looking for the Agua Caliente after I'd seen on the Nat Geo map. I never did make it. Your directions may help. How tough is it to get to the springs themselves? I may be solo at that point on our trip (lifted 4wd Land Cruiser).

David K - 1-8-2018 at 03:30 AM

Yes, that is the canyon entrance. If you drove in on that road you would soon pass the water tank and come to a gate. At the gate, look to the south wall of the canyon to see petroglyphs. Open the gate (and close behind you) to continue on. The hot spring is about at 30° 38.877'N, 115° 12.490'W. I have posted the exact GPS when I was there in my Trip Report from 2004, and in this webpage, I made: http://vivabaja.com/404/

The canyon (all canyons) have gone through some major changes with the dramatic increase in the wetter weather of the past few years. At one time 4x4s could get all the way to the spring but when I went in 2000 and 2004, a walk of about a mile was required from a point where the road was no longer there (boulders and brush in the way). Last year, the major washout of the road was as I reported above, but a track was forged through to the left... I was solo and could not afford to be risky with an almost stock 4x4, to see how far I could get.

PaulW - 1-8-2018 at 10:25 AM

Its been a long long time since I have been up there. Time to add to my to do list. David's coords are accurate and I found the puddle of warm water to be smaller many years earlier. An attempt was made to continue up the so called road , but the trucks were to big and the track was very overgrown. Any bike should go much further. Now I use a Jeep so progress may be better? Off and on there have been reports of closure by the owner. No reports recently. I will ask around and report back

WideAngleWandering - 1-8-2018 at 12:22 PM

Cool. If I can schedule it right i'd have a second vehicle, but I might have to go solo. Either way I'd like to see how far I can get and maybe hike in the last bit.

I'll be out that way mid-January.

David K - 1-8-2018 at 02:49 PM

In 2004, the hot spring was huge... in the volume of super-hot water it flowed out... at a reported 140°F.

The hot spring alone created a hot water stream (steaming) that flowed for a couple hundred feet in the canyon floor before it merged with the year-round, cool mountain stream in the center of the arroyo floor... Hot and Cold running water in Baja!

It is just over 3 miles from the canyon entrance to the hot spring. In 2004, we could drive in 2 miles and walked the last mile.

The spring (there was more than one, but the main one) was up on the bench a few feet higher than the arroyo floor, on the right-hand side of the canyon (when walking in). The hot water flowed for a few feet, then dropped down to the main arroyo level. There was a rock-lined bathing pool at that point, but the water was WAY TOO HOT to use it. If there was a way to divert the cool stream... about 50 feet away, then that would have been perfect.

I followed the hot stream back down to a point where the water felt to be under 105°F for soaking and made a shallow pool. Rocks prevented from going too deep.

Here is the page with my 2004 photos plus one sent to me from BajaLou taken from an airplane looking down and east, downstream. I drew in the road end, hot spring location, and where the marijuana was going to be planted (on the 2000 trip it was being prepared with irrigation lines and fertilizer bags, brought in by mule or burro).>>> http://vivabaja.com/404/page6.html

Two pages with photos on the hot spring trip in 2000 begin here: http://www.vivabaja.com/baja_2001/page2.html

On to Trip #4: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86376

[Edited on 4-8-2018 by David K]

David K - 7-23-2018 at 01:33 PM

2017-2018 Baja Bound Road Guide & Map Research Trips

TRIP #1 (San Felipe to Punta San Francisquito via L.A. Bay): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85374
TRIP #2 (San Ignacio to Loreto, Ligüí, San Javier, Comondú, La Purísima): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85756
TRIP #3 (Mexicali to San Felipe, Valle Chico, Matomí, Parral, + El Rosario area): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85989
TRIP #4 (Valle de Trinidad crossover, San Quintin to Laguna Manuela and 7 Sisters coast road): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86376
TRIP #5 (Central Baja: El Arco, El Barril, San Francisco de la Sierra, Abreojos, Asuncion, Tortugas, Eugenia, Pronghorn Reserve): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86781
TRIP #6 (Southernmost Baja: San Ignacio to San Juanico, Loreto to Cabo San Lucas, San Evaristo, and more): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87323
TRIP #7 (Pacific North, San Pedro Mártir Mountains): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87976
TRIP #8 (Both Hwy. 3's, Hwy. 5 south from 3 Jcn., & Laguna Hanson roads): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91029

[Edited on 12-3-2018 by David K]

wolfpack - 12-2-2018 at 04:52 PM

Great trip report! Is the sulfur mine accessible with a subaru crosstrek? We are going to San Felipe in two weeks for a month and are just getting into rockhounding and fossil hunting and would love to check these spots out.
If not how far of a hike would it be from parking? We aren't opposed to parking and walking/running 10 miles if that's the only way to see some cool rocks.

David K - 12-2-2018 at 08:27 PM

I am not sure what a crosstrek is (I owned 3 Subarus 4WD wagons from 1977-1992), but the road from Hwy. 5 to the sulfur mine valley (which is on the old Puertecitos road, pre 1983) is a good desert road, about a 4 mile drive from just north of Km. 32.

This was the original 'driveway into Nuevo Mazatlan from the old road/sulfur mine). It may have a high center bit does not need 4WD. Just the old Puertecitos road is rough and used for the Baja 1000.

Edit... I can help with other fossil and mine sites if you haven't already seen them in my other trip pages.

[Edited on 12-3-2018 by David K]

wolfpack - 12-2-2018 at 10:51 PM

The subaru crosstrek is a just cheaper version of the outback. Same clearance - AWD only though.

I looked through trip reports but haven't seen others for rock/fossil sites so would love any direction.

Is google maps accurate for the desert roads? I know in Northern Arizona we have some trouble locating lesser used forest roads at times

Sulfur Mine and GPS Track

PaulW - 12-3-2018 at 07:34 AM

The Mine is located on OPR (Old Puretcitos Road). OPR cannot be traveled in any Subaru. IMO, the track from Highway 5 is doable in a Subaru with tire pressure at 1/3 of normal and lots of momentum. Once you get to OPR just south of the mine be very careful because the local roads thereabouts are pretty gnarly.
Google maps does not show back country roads of any kind and will be no help. Same for Maps.me.
Good luck.
Attached is my GPS track.
Below is a screen shot from Ozi to show the lay of the land. This track is the one most people use.
BTW, I drive a Honda CRV which has more road clearance than a Subaru and I would not consider driving that track. Street tires are a big disadvantage. Big chance of being buried in the sand or hitting a rock underneath.
Your Subaru is not as capable as David's Tacoma.

Sulfur.jpg - 81kB

Attachment: Sulpher mine track.gpx (61kB)
This file has been downloaded 192 times

[Edited on 12-3-2018 by PaulW]

GE Sulfer.jpg - 99kB

David K - 12-3-2018 at 10:08 AM

I have driven it and the Azufre Pass route to Matomi and out in my Subarus, back when they had 13" tires. You just need to be smart where you place the tires.

There is a fossil bed just south of the sulfur mine and just west of the old road. I will dig that post up later. More sites near Gonzaga Bay, too.

PaulW - 12-3-2018 at 10:57 AM

I just added a Google image. From where my track intersects OPR there is a difficult up hill place to get to the mine. The white coloration on the new image is where all the quarrying took place. Quite a few digs. The most interesting place is where I wrote "Mine". A good place to collect specimens.

David K - 12-3-2018 at 06:10 PM

Thank Paul.
There are building footings near the white tailings area. A little hiking around the hill to the north will reveal lots of pics of the yellow element... a rock that burns when lit!
There are photos of the buildings there in the 50s before they were demolished. The ore crusher was still in place when I first went there in the 60s. It was over on the west side where the concrete walls are today.

I found three photos at the sulfur mine taken in 1957 and 1961 by Howard Gulick (Lower California Guidebook author):

sulfur 1957.jpg - 181kB

Aerial photo from 1957, looking west. The road to the coast (Km 32 now) is on the left running to the bottom. The airstrip is over to the left and is crossed by the Puertecitos road. The valley with most of the sulfur is in the center and running to the lower right as is the old road to San Felipe.

sulfur 1961a.jpg - 217kB

A 1961 photo by Howard Gulick at the ore crusher looking east across the mining valley.

sulfur 1961.jpg - 192kB

A close up of the ore crusher in 1961 by Howard Gulick.

In 2010, we scouted around the ore crusher area and took some panorama view photos from above the crusher site, south to north looking eastward:

Some more...

[Edited on 12-4-2018 by David K]

David K - 12-4-2018 at 01:43 AM

Wolfpack, here are the fossil beds (clams, oysters, sand dollars) photos I took in 2012... only a few miles south of the sulfur mine and just west of the Old Puertecitos road: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=57316

Sorry, I was following someone else to get there so I didn't take any direction notes or GPS. It wasn't over 5 miles from the sulfur mine, a lot less maybe. We drove west from Hwy. 5 not far south of Colonia Delicias (Chelo's Cafe, and others).

PaulW - 12-4-2018 at 08:56 AM

Thank Paul.
There are building footings near the white tailings area. A little hiking around the hill to the north will reveal lots of pics of the yellow element... a rock that burns when lit!
There are photos of the buildings there in the 50s before they were demolished. The ore crusher was still in place when I first went there in the 60s. It was over on the west side where the concrete walls are today.

I found three photos at the sulfur mine taken in 1957 and 1961 by Howard Gulick (Lower California Guidebook author):

Aerial photo from 1957, looking west. The road to the coast (Km 32 now) is on the left running to the bottom. The airstrip is over to the left and is crossed by the Puertecitos road. The valley with most of the sulfur is in the center and running to the lower right as is the old road to San Felipe.

David K]

========
Thanks for the 1957 image.
I rotated it and compared it to a GE image.
Things of note:
* No evidence of a landing strip. In the 1957 image the AP was in a logical place in the flat of the sand wash. My track is south of the 1957 road and the runway is probably at the intersection of my track and OPR
* Notice how the terrain has changed especially the ridge east of the large quarry.
* Of course there are more roads now and all in different places. That is except of OPR which is still as it was in 1957.
* Maybe a new runway parallel to my track ans slightly east of OPR. Faint but straight.

sulfur 1957.jpg-thumbRotate.jpg - 89kB GE airport.jpg - 242kB

David K - 12-4-2018 at 09:40 AM

Correct, no sign of the runway today... brush has grown on the strip and it hasn't been landed on since Arnold Senterfitt measured it in the 60s, I bet!

Your track is on the runway, and was the road the older AAA map showed for La Roca. They incorrectly showed it as independent of the Nuevo Mazatlan road but the two joined together a mile east of the Old Puertecitos road and then separated further east to head into the two different campos.

On their 1996 and later maps, the correctly showed the two roads:

[Edited on 12-4-2018 by David K]

4x4abc - 12-4-2018 at 10:00 AM

I have driven it and the Azufre Pass route to Matomi and out in my Subarus, back when they had 13" tires. You just need to be smart where you place the tires.

There is a fossil bed just south of the sulfur mine and just west of the old road. I will dig that post up later. More sites near Gonzaga Bay, too.

where is Azufre Pass?

David K - 12-4-2018 at 10:03 AM

It is a name for Cañada el Parral used by Score. Bruce Barber called it Crazy Horse Canyon. It is an old road that connected the sulfur mine to Valle Chico that I found in 1978 after a few searches. It appears on the detailed geology map of the early 1970s.

PaulW - 12-4-2018 at 10:44 AM

David is correct.
I think the name Azufre came about because there are so many drainage's called Parral and it was desirable to have a unique name that was simple for map labeling and race notes simplification.
Locals still use Crazy Horse, but Azufre is gaining with the locals, especially newbies.
Azufre - First drive-able arroyo north of Matomi.

wolfpack - 12-12-2018 at 12:40 AM

Thanks David! The trip reports have been incredibly helpful! With any luck I’ll be able to post my own soon. We head south on Friday morning for next month to explore San Felipe.
Wolfpack, here are the fossil beds (clams, oysters, sand dollars) photos I took in 2012... only a few miles south of the sulfur mine and just west of the Old Puertecitos road: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=57316

Sorry, I was following someone else to get there so I didn't take any direction notes or GPS. It wasn't over 5 miles from the sulfur mine, a lot less maybe. We drove west from Hwy. 5 not far south of Colonia Delicias (Chelo's Cafe, and others).

wolfpack - 12-12-2018 at 09:19 AM

Thanks David! The trip reports have been incredibly helpful! With any luck I’ll be able to post my own soon. We head south on Friday morning for next month to explore San Felipe.

David K - 12-12-2018 at 10:25 AM

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist with!
I hope your trip is a great one. Just do one day at a time and enjoy it all!

David K - 6-5-2021 at 10:46 AM

Here on Nomad, the Photobucket images are no longer sized to fit the page and have watermarks, but not where I also shared the trip report on Tacoma World... odd?? I have been paying to prevent that.
Here is the trip report, as it should appear: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2017-baja-expedition-3-m...

PaulW - 6-5-2021 at 07:52 PM

Photobucket sucks