BajaNomad

where to stay in san juanico?

honda tom - 3-14-2017 at 09:25 PM

about 8 of us coming in to san juanico late afternoon in a couple weeks. We will be looking for dinner and a cool place to sleep. we have bedding so outdoors or hotel rooms work. any suggestions on a place to eat and sleep?

mtgoat666 - 3-14-2017 at 09:54 PM

20 years ago used to be good places to camp.
Today the whole place is over run with jerk off gringos from so cal and really not worth visiting.

willardguy - 3-14-2017 at 10:32 PM

speaking of jerk off gringos from so cal....:rolleyes:

surfinggrandpa71 - 3-15-2017 at 04:27 AM

The rooms at Cowabunga are great, clean and cheap. They make a great burger there too....The San Juanico hotel isn't bad, just pricier, and there are 7 rooms above the supermarket in town.....
Mtgoat guy seems to not like it, we go every year and have a great time, great local people and the gringos seem harmless

y2kbaja - 3-15-2017 at 06:47 AM

Cowabunga for burgers. I'll be there Tuesday.

willyAirstream - 3-15-2017 at 07:07 AM

The rooms above the market are very nice, on the street side, great views too! 2 blocks away is a very good restaurant, El Burro?, and the taco stand on the beach is good too. Camping on the beach is doable in town or out on the points, but the rooms are well worth it after a long drive. Luxury rooms with AC are also available at Scorpion Bay Hotel for 3x the rate of the other places in town.

AKgringo - 3-15-2017 at 07:58 AM

I couldn't find a dog friendly place on thanksgiving, so I slept on the beach. It was a calm night, and the tide came within 15 feet of my camp, so if you chose the beach, pay attention to tides and wind conditions!

honda tom - 3-15-2017 at 08:27 AM

looking into this, i found info about the scorpion bay cantina. food and camping with showers and a few cabanas. anyone had any experience with this one?

Sweetwater - 3-15-2017 at 08:39 AM

We went through San Juanico a week ago and I haven't seen/heard anyone discuss the lack of gasoline. All the gasoline sellers had been shut down north of the Zaragoza Pemex. Nothing for sale to the public in the Comondu area, La Purisima or San Juanico.

Tomas Tierra - 3-15-2017 at 08:45 AM

Pretty sure the gas situation has smoothed out in in SJ..not sure about other nearby locales..

Cowabungas is the place to stay in SJ.

TT

Beagle - 3-15-2017 at 09:10 PM

We filled up with gas 4 days ago in San Juanico.

BajaBlanca - 3-16-2017 at 03:41 PM

we stayed here - dog friendly, half block walk to beach.

Tom was managing it the year we went and his mom Kristen was managing it two years later.

Http://www.casitassanjuanico.com

Gulliver - 3-16-2017 at 06:35 PM

If anyone has up to date info about gas in San Isidro/Purisma please post it as it is an important fuel stop when riding from Mulege to Comundu though those places.

Tomas Tierra - 3-16-2017 at 09:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
If anyone has up to date info about gas in San Isidro/Purisma please post it as it is an important fuel stop when riding from Mulege to Comundu though those places.

I have some friends in La Purisima, I'll send them an email to see if we can figure this out..

TT

Gulliver - 3-16-2017 at 09:50 PM

Great.

There has usually been two places there to buy gas. At least one of them is open at any given time.

One has jugs and barrels and the other has a barrel or two and an actual portable electric pump! Sophisticated.