BajaNomad

The Term OK

TMW - 3-23-2017 at 07:24 AM

The first recorded printed use of "OK" [oll korrect] occurred in Boston's Morning Post March 23, 1839.

ehall - 3-23-2017 at 07:39 AM

wonder what they said before that?

Russ - 3-23-2017 at 07:49 AM

esta bien

Barry A. - 3-23-2017 at 08:04 AM

Yep!!!! (or "nope", depending)

StuckSucks - 3-23-2017 at 08:33 AM

Wikipedia OK

David K - 3-23-2017 at 11:08 AM

Was John Glenn the first to popularize "A-OK"?

Marc - 3-23-2017 at 01:25 PM

My wife rattles off in Chinese with an OK thrown in everywhere. So it must be a Chinese invention.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

DENNIS - 3-23-2017 at 01:40 PM

Mexicans here say OK all the time. It's a worldy exclamation now, I do believe.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFMzWO...

Martyman - 3-23-2017 at 01:55 PM

Cool...I mean OK

bajabuddha - 3-23-2017 at 02:31 PM

In Utah they say "you bet!"... although they don't gamble (unless by themselves).

Master Jeff - 4-11-2017 at 01:52 AM

Or "deal" instead of OK works as well. But I think we live in OKish world, even in Vietnam they say OK nowadays so...

BajaBlanca - 4-11-2017 at 06:06 AM

This is so interesting. I have rarely heard a Brazilian say OK, although it exists in our lexicon.

I would love to hear Chinese with OK thrown in!

bajaguy - 4-11-2017 at 07:38 AM

Ever been to Wendover, NV.........they gamble in groups, brought from Utah by tour buses

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
In Utah they say "you bet!"... although they don't gamble (unless by themselves).

Barry A. - 4-11-2017 at 08:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Ever been to Wendover, NV.........they gamble in groups, brought from Utah by tour buses

Contrary to popular opinion, Utah is becoming quite diverse----(to the dismay of many Utah'ans).

bajabuddha - 4-11-2017 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Contrary to popular opinion, Utah is becoming quite diverse----(to the dismay of many Utah'ans).

Salt Lake City and Park City areas are diverse.... the rest of the State is still a bastion. And that's why you always take two Utahns fishing with you... if you take one, he'll drink all yer beer.

David K - 4-11-2017 at 11:19 AM

What about those Utah communities with the big walls around them? :lol: The sales reps I traveled with called them polygamist towns and they are left alone by government.

bajabuddha - 4-11-2017 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What about those Utah communities with the big walls around them? :lol: The sales reps I traveled with called them polygamist towns and they are left alone by government.

Actually, the 'walled city' you're referring to is Colorado City in Arizona, oh wise scholar of religious history. There are no fully 'polyg' towns in Utah, although not too many years back in the central San Pitch valley of Eprhaim, maroooni and Manti there was a mass movement by over 1,000 of the Faithful to openly practice polygamy. Went over like a lead balloon with the Powers That Be in the State.

bajacamper - 4-12-2017 at 07:27 PM

I cannot accept any of this as final until the "Goat" weighs in with is take on this perplexing problem. ;)

David K - 4-12-2017 at 10:45 PM

It wasn't just one walled community we drove by (in Utah), but several. They are hush-hush, and I was told about them from a Morman (who has just one wife). This was 20 years ago, however.

bajagrouper - 4-13-2017 at 12:27 PM

I believe the OK hand sign means something very different in Mexico, try it some time without saying OK, you may get a strange reaction......

bajabuddha - 4-13-2017 at 07:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It wasn't just one walled community we drove by (in Utah), but several. They are hush-hush, and I was told about them from a Morman (who has just one wife). This was 20 years ago, however.

Izzat 'mormans' with 'morewimmans' oh literary/religious scholar ? :?: :lol:

[Edited on 4-14-2017 by bajabuddha]

Argentino - 4-18-2017 at 01:05 PM

I grew up in Utah and have lived here most of my life. I currently reside in Southern Utah, not too far from the polygamist colony at Hildale/Colorado city. It's not walled off, although it may have been at one time or another.

Interestingly enough, my wife is from Manti and her parents know some of the people who went off and joined polygamy in that Sanpete county group.

I am Mormon. I am not polygamist. I always tell my wife that one is more than I can handle already.

aguachico - 4-18-2017 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  
I believe the OK hand sign means something very different in Mexico, try it some time without saying OK, you may get a strange reaction......

The OK sign in Mexico is a fist pump. Not a full fist showing the palm is more accurate. :biggrin:

[Edited on 4-18-2017 by aguachico]

[Edited on 4-18-2017 by aguachico]