BajaNomad

No thank you

dravnx - 3-24-2017 at 08:21 AM

Many years ago I was in Mexico City on some business and my Mexican liaison told me that the way to tell the street peddlers no was to wag your pointer finger side to side, while pointing up, and they will leave you alone. On a recent trip to Mexico, my SO saw me do this and thought I was being rude. Am I rude or is this OK?

woody with a view - 3-24-2017 at 08:24 AM

Ok.

weebray - 3-24-2017 at 08:54 AM

I first read about this in The People's Guide to Mexico by Carl Franz years ago. Works like a charm. BTW, If you have not already read this book, you should.

BajaNomad - 3-24-2017 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
I first read about this in The People's Guide to Mexico by Carl Franz years ago. Works like a charm. BTW, If you have not already read this book, you should.

Ditto
Ditto
Ditto

David K - 3-24-2017 at 09:16 AM

A friend, who back in the 80s, had a VW diesel car and drove to Tijuana to fill it (diesel was like 25 cents a gallon then). He would deal with the window washers by simply dragging his finger across his throat if they ever came close to putting their dirty rags on his baby. Worked every time...

Illustrated at Minute 2:30-3:05 in the following clip from Guardians of the Galaxy:

BigBearRider - 3-24-2017 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
A friend, who back in the 80s, had a VW diesel car and drove to Tijuana to fill it (diesel was like 25 cents a gallon then). He would deal with the window washers by simply dragging his finger across his throat if they ever came close to putting their dirty rags on his baby. Worked every time...

Illustrated at Minute 2:30-3:05 in the following clip from Guardians of the Galaxy:

This gesture does not seem very nice.

David K - 3-24-2017 at 09:49 AM

It worked instantly after being nice failed to keep the window washers from putting their rags on the glass. That was 37 years ago and I was a passenger in his car.

BigBearRider - 3-24-2017 at 10:30 AM

I don't think I'll be making that gesture to anyone, anywhere.

del mar - 3-24-2017 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I don't think I'll be making that gesture to anyone, anywhere.

yeah no kidding! :no:

DENNIS - 3-24-2017 at 12:13 PM

Just say no, only once, and break eye contact.

David K - 3-24-2017 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Just say no, only once, and break eye contact.

Personally, that is my method.

DENNIS - 3-24-2017 at 12:58 PM

Yeah. It works most of the time. If not....get out the bear spray. That stuff has a way of communicating once and for all.

BajaBlanca - 3-24-2017 at 01:17 PM

I am going to try the finger pointing up and being wagged back and forth on my students.

Really hard to get them to stop doing something I don't want sometimes.

[Edited on 3-24-2017 by BajaBlanca]

DENNIS - 3-24-2017 at 02:04 PM

Like I mentioned....bear spray.

bajabuddha - 3-24-2017 at 02:13 PM

I learned the 'finger-wag' in Mazatlán in 1983, was told by a tour/travel agent about it... was for the persistent beach vendors. Start off with a ''no, gracias'', and if that doesn't work, then a stern NO, gracias mit de finga. It's like an exclamation point on your statement, and you mean business.... or lack thereof.

dravnx - 3-24-2017 at 03:14 PM

Thanx everyone. I finally found something I can be right about. :bounce:

[Edited on 3-24-2017 by dravnx]

Paco Facullo - 3-24-2017 at 05:55 PM

I've encountered extremely aggressive touts and beggars in various Countries do to looking vary Gringo.
Tried many different tactics. A few times had to finally resort to standing in an aggressive manner and saying NO MELESTE !!!! Vary loud.
Some beggars tactics are to harrass until the victim gives them some money just to get away.

I agree that the finger wag works well in most circumstances.

Lee - 3-24-2017 at 07:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dravnx  
Many years ago I was in Mexico City on some business and my Mexican liaison told me that the way to tell the street peddlers no was to wag your pointer finger side to side, while pointing up, and they will leave you alone. On a recent trip to Mexico, my SO saw me do this and thought I was being rude. Am I rude or is this OK?

The total gesture is the wagging finger plus the words "gracias, no!" With emphasis on the no.

This gesture is a conclusion to having said no once or twice before.

monoloco - 3-25-2017 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
I've encountered extremely aggressive touts and beggars in various Countries do to looking vary Gringo.
Tried many different tactics. A few times had to finally resort to standing in an aggressive manner and saying NO MELESTE !!!! Vary loud.
Some beggars tactics are to harrass until the victim gives them some money just to get away.

I agree that the finger wag works well in most circumstances.
You might want to try "no moleste" instead. Lol.

BajaMama - 3-26-2017 at 07:55 AM

Years ago my Spanish professor told me that you simply say "No." If you say "No Thank you" they think you want to buy - there is no translation for Thank you but no thank you - if you say thank you they think you want to buy.

Alm - 3-27-2017 at 12:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Due to lack of such "common" courtesies , Gringos are often perceived as *rude*, and then show indignant surprise when we're resultingly objectified and taken advantage of. :light:

Actually, Mexicans say Gracias or Por Favor a lot less than we say Thank You or Please. Which in itself doesn't mean them being more disrespectful.

Taking advantage of rich-er foreigners is the way of life in third world countries. They will try to pull this even if you speak their language and are aware of local customs - though the chances of you being had would be lower then.

pauldavidmena - 3-27-2017 at 05:44 AM

Upon leaving Customs in the Los Cabos airport, unsuspecting gringos are dumped into a windowless room of tour operators and timeshare vendors who descend upon them like sharks on wounded seals. I found "no gracias" mostly ineffective, but "Vivimos aquí" always did the trick. The vultures couldn't scatter quickly enough.

mtgoat666 - 3-27-2017 at 06:19 AM

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Do the right thing.

DENNIS - 3-27-2017 at 07:06 AM

Geeezo, Goat....do you have any girlscout cookies for sale?

BajaMama - 3-27-2017 at 04:54 PM

lencho, I disagree - in English we say, Thank you but no thank you when we mean no. It is polite expression. I was simply pointing out, that in Spanish the Thank you doesn't translate as a courtesy. When the seller hears "thank you" it implies that you are interested in their wares. You can simply say No with a smile and do the finger wag thing to imply courtesy and kindness and communicate your disinterest.

DENNIS - 3-27-2017 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
lencho, I disagree - in English we say, Thank you but no thank you when we mean no. It is polite expression. I was simply pointing out, that in Spanish the Thank you doesn't translate as a courtesy. When the seller hears "thank you" it implies that you are interested in their wares. You can simply say No with a smile and do the finger wag thing to imply courtesy and kindness and communicate your disinterest.

BajaMama....are you intricately familiar with the spoken vernacular here? The nuances, idioms and personal interpretations of utterances, as well as acceptable cessations and dismissals of spoken interchange?
Communication is a complicated subject.
I am currently making an intense study of the Aztec Nahuatl and Mixtec languages, and they defy almost everything I take for granted.

woody with a view - 3-27-2017 at 06:32 PM

:light: